E7219FE9-484F-47CA-BFFE-0651512AF204 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
42B71745-F083-4796-A042-CBB9A06CFA64 (resized).jpeg
DFC91AE8-712E-49D3-85C9-A0EC21FA23AD (resized).jpeg
A8E750D6-0CAB-4127-8F16-6C5BD4B5C2D7 (resized).jpeg
9F9F9F80-D9A3-4674-994C-F41BE4D841DA (resized).jpeg
FFD4B468-4938-4BB5-8CE4-9AAFAFBBD39B (resized).jpeg
20230128_165821 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ksuwildcatfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 1 year ago

Way too rich for my blood (in NO way is this me saying it's not worthy of its price tag or anything like that) but I just wanted to say this is really, really nice. Excellent job on this mod. I love it.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks! I know it’s pricey, I take no offense.
I’ve been focused on complicated hand built stuff lately, mostly because I enjoy the challenge and design process. At some point it would be good to do something that’s not quite so intensive, and expensive.

The Metallica hammer has me swooning too. Should I ever come into some sort of unexpected financial windfall, you're my first contact. Really, really great stuff. Thank you for your contributions to the hobby!

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks! You have a really nicely varied collection. I was just watching Bowen's old tutorial on Meteor today. I'm missing my old solid states lately.

Thanks, I've definitely found the classic stern bug these days. I wish they were still cheap like they used to be!

Met, wcs94 and tron were my original grails. The rest have just sort of found me over the past few years. But I've tried to focus on not having too much of what I look at as the "same" game (IE a row of nothing but Spike 2s, etc). Not that there's anything inherently "wrong" with that, I just wanted to have a little bit of something from all SS eras. I'm pretty classic stern heavy at the moment (Galaxy was never supposed to stay) but that's okay.

Meteor is awesome. Not that it "needed" it but I just installed the new code and it's simply outstanding. If you've not checked those out, do yourself a favor. There's some really awesome stuff being coded right now.

#84 1 year ago

Your three are all certainly "similar era" but I think are different enough that it's fine. Again, my opinion means exactly nothing so who cares. We also share two of your three machines, so I'm partial, LOL.

I've bounced around on Tron because it's the perfect theme/light show/music pin for me (I'm a huge fan of the movie, and of Daft Punk) but the prices they've sold for have tempted me several times. It makes me uncomfortable because Tron is "not that great of a game" (IE is it "worth" 5 digits compared to some other games, considering just gameplay? IMO no, not even close) but I have zero interest in selling it. I'd almost prefer to see the bottom drop out on the value so there's no temptation, ever, to sell it. Because I'd be sick if I did. Mine has the Pinbits kit -- that's different from the ELI kit right? Unfortunately, when I was cleaning it the first time I busted one of the fiber optic cables at the end where it plugs into the light transmitter, so one side of my ramp is less vivid. It's limping by, but I really need to order a new run of the stuff and route it around so it's fixed fully. I can't imagine having Tron without some sort of ramp lights, just like I can't imagine having one without the arcade mod. Both are 100% required mods IMO.

TNA is so high up on my list. I was pretty disappointed to hear the pricepoint on the "CE". I was hoping for $7-8K. I just can't justify $9K, plus tax, plus shipping...on TNA. Can't do it. I'd have to sell LOTR, or multiple older games. Meh. But man, I want one someday.

Speaking of TNA and the code remixes.. Check out the Stars 2021:

I've got a Stars playfield out being touched up and that'll be what my build goes around. I'm pretty excited to try that one. The Galaxy2021 code took what I thought was a SUPER boring game and transformed it into an absolute staple in my collection. Kind of crazy how that happens. These code rewrites that Dick Hamill is doing are absolutely fantastic, breathing new life into games, some of which desperately need it.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think Metallica and Tron are a bit too similar to really carry a small collection, but eh, not like I'm following some set of guidelines.
Metallica is a great game, but like Tron another reason I kept it is I still have mods for it I've never finished. Perhaps after this, we'll see. I've discussed doing a topper for it since I'll want something to go with the Tron one. But I have other ideas in minds too.
Honestly I don't really worry about what I 'need' to do next, and just let the whims of whatever I'm into carry me. I spent months making this Tron mod, and I think it will be successful enough to make it worth the time investment. But honestly in a very real sense it was worth it from the start, because I genuinely enjoyed all of it.
There were weeks when various prototypes lived on my desk running all day as I tweaked animations and stress tested it. I never got tired of watching it, so hopefully the people buying it feel the same way when I start shipping them out.

Fair point on met and tron. I hate that both are dream themes for me (I've always loved metallica) and that kinda forces me to keep both forever. Could be worse games to be anchored to, I guess!

This topper is 100% awesome and you really did knock it out of the park. I've got a laserrific which it came with. It's fine for what it sells for, but obviously doesn't hold a candle.

I've yet to see a single Metallica topper I liked, so I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with if you end up doing one! I'm hoping fortunes are turning and I can turn into the mod wh0re I was always destined to become, very soon. I already have several lined up that I want!

20221214_141203 (resized).jpg20221214_141203 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#89 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks, and yeah, I didn't want to specifically throw shade at any specific topper, as you said, it's fine for what it is, just a different sort of deal.
The light cycle image on that one is well done. I'm at a point in my "modding career" where I don't want to use logos and trademarks anymore, but the TRON text works too. It's just not worth it when you can get a C&D over it though, been there done that. I even waffled briefly over the FLYNN'S logo on mine, but I decided that was safe enough.
I bet it looks great lit up, it's kinda hard to mess up glowing acrylic. I'm not a big fan of seeing the glowing squared-off edges, but it's not a huge deal either. Enjoy it!

Same. I think it's the Tilt Topper with the Sparky face and Metallica logo that's pretty nicely done, but it's really smack dab in the middle of that trademark infringement stuff. Metallica don't like you using their logo, Stern will say something if they see it, and well, Sparky being their thing probably doesn't help.
Also, this is just my preference, but beyond the trademark stuff I'm not big on seeing the logo from the translite repeated right above it on the topper. It's cool for White Water or games designed for it, but otherwise not my favorite approach.

Yeah, I'm fine with it for what it is, the RGB light presents well. But I definitely don't look at it as anything special and I probably wouldn't have spent my own money on it, I'd have just gone without. I think yours is absolutely glorious. It's definitely now on my "windfall funds" shortlist, for sure.

I actually hadn't seen the Sparky topper. It's not bad. I definitely don't like the repeated Metallica logo over the translite, though. Doing a quick pan of other options, I still don't see any others I like. The market's wide open for you! Package deal with a hammer?!

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

After giving this some thought today as I was working on soldering wires and boards I'm realizing that I don't love trying to ship things right around Christmas. Too many packages, too many people potentially traveling and maybe not home to receive packages, just feels unnecessarily messy.
So I'm going to just keep building what I can and however many I have done I'll plan on shipping in early January when it feels less hairy.
That gives me a little more time to work up installation instructions and packaging too. When I'm close to ready I'll start contacting people on the list based on how many I have good to go by then.

I went to UPS to drop off an item that had sold on Mercari (honestly not even worth the hassle at this point). Package pre-labeled and ready to just...drop and run. But that's not how UPS does business, and the line was COILED around the inside. It moved fairly quickly, 15 minutes or so, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I hated every second of it. At the post office I'd have just dumped it on the table and left. Blah humbug to holiday shipping.

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My local post office moved to people dropping things off at their loading dock in the back during the pandemic so you didn't have to go indoors and they've kept it since. It's super convenient tbh, I've rolled up there with boxes of translites etc and can just go straight from my car up the ramp, deposit, and be on my way.
But yeah, Christmas kinda snuck up on me this year, and when I realized the date last night I just figured it was stupid to try and rush to get anything out immediately given all the extra chaos. I haven't taken anyone's money or promised any timelines, but I had been aiming for this month to try and get at least the first few in people's hands because I really want to hear the feedback!
Anyways, this is the sane method, so I'll keep plugging away and see how many I can have done. I'm aiming to have 4 finished this week if I can. It's a process to make these things, hence the price.

Sounds like a perfect reason to slow down, get through the holidays, and go from there. Personally I hope I hit the lotto on Christmas cash so I can jump in and order one too

I'm definitely interested in feedback, it looks stellar in the promo video work.

1 month later
#169 1 year ago

Loving seeing these installed. I'm going to grab one as soon as I can, I really hope you're still doing them later this year!

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was talking with Kyle last night when he dropped off more PCBs for me about what our "end game" strategy on this project is. I didn't make it limited, because I'm honestly sick of that model. The fake FOMO feels tiresome to me.
But at some point I'll manage to catch up to the pre-order list (trying!) and there will be a lull. And we'll try and buffer spare PCBs to have on hand for orders after that. But once they're used up it won't be as easy to just randomly make one out of the blue.
So just fair warning, I'll try and help everyone who wants one, but if you wait until I'm out of stock on parts it may mean you have to wait until it makes sense to make more.

I'll keep rolling my pennies so I can get in sooner rather than later, and I'll continue monitoring this thread to see if things start to look more bleak on parts availablity!

8 months later
#230 4 months ago

I really hope that my finances align with your willingness to do these into the future, because I really want one. These are so fantastic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
12,028 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ksuwildcatfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-interactive-topper-pre-orders-aurich-mod?tu=ksuwildcatfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.