(Topic ID: 171478)

The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by indybru
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago

I don't see the Black Arrow SE as a 'better version' - just different. Some like the LE, some like the Smaug SE, and now people can buy this SE version if they prefer it over the LE version. The Smaug SE won't be made anymore except to fill older orders, so the Black Arrow SE is the option now for new buyers (unless you find a distrib that still has a Smaug SE or a used Smaug SE)

#22 7 years ago

Oh, and regarding the question. If I could get my money back and buy another pin - I would buy TH again.

EDIT:
But I would be tempted to get a TRON LE (but like last time -would get TH instead).
TRON LE is just f#(king awesome to me.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think for the most part people are misinterpreting what an LE is. It is a limited edition of the game with a particular package. They could make 5 different LEs of the same machine and it wouldn't really matter. and what one company classifies as an LE is certainly not what another company has to do.

Agree. The Hobbit only has one 'LE', and two 'SE' (Special Edition) models (Smaug ang Black Arrow), and a Standard (which I think has the same cab art as the LE)

2 weeks later
#89 7 years ago

You get 'credit' for starting beast multiball (and don't have to finish it - not sure if you can really). My thoughts are that you can't start beast multiball when in Smaug multiball. If you start smaug multiball in beast multiball then the beast multiball is canceled.

My 2 cents.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Beast frenzy DOES stack with Smaug multiball, and seems to most times for me. And no, you can't "finish" beast multiball without draining to one ball remaining (and thus ending Smaug multiball too). This, to me, is not good. Throw a mode into the mix, and it's a flail-fest. I hope this aspect of the game changes with future updates. When trying to kill Smaug, you should be able to focus on that task alone imo.

Sorry my post was confusing. I meant that I wish it would work like I was detailing - not what it is doing with the current code

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry to quote myself lol....but just played another game and noticed Gandalf does sometimes say "Shoot the bumpers" or "shoot the left ramp!" ...so, hopefully they can implement that into more modes or more often.

I was about to respond that there are dwarf hit callouts and animation, and we do have Gandalf callouts like shoot left ramp, right ramp, bash the spider, hit the orc...

More is always welcome.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Speaking of catching on quickly - I thought for sure I wouldn't get a grasp of the rules and logic quickly...it was very overwhelming at first...but after reading up on it and having a few people explain things to me...it's all clicked quicker than I expected. I don't understand any of the scoring nuance yet - but I feel like I mostly understand why everything does what it does...and once you get that, the fun factor increases greatly!

I am far from memorizing the feeder modes (if that is the right term) - when I get them by accident it is still a cool feeling.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've heard that thrown around...what exactly is a feeder mode? I know there are modes that are available from Dwarf, Man, Elf, Radagast, Gandalf, and Bilbo ...which are feeders and why are those different?

Apparently some modes have feeders - as part of the story in order of occurrence in the book/movie. If you complete those modes first (feeders) it will add a mode finish percentage increase to make the mode completion worth more points. (I think)

#109 7 years ago

On the backglass LCD when the mode completes it will show the feeder modes for the completed mode. So you have to look fast. I am not sure of any other way to determine them in advance. Perhaps someone on pinside will add that to the 'rules/modes' list (of which there are many)

2 weeks later
#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I was down on the upper right flipper too at first, but now that I'm more familiar with the game, it's starting to make more sense. Some things it is used for:
*Hitting the Dwarf targets after the ball rolls out of the Bag End pops - it's how you kick a barrel over
*Hitting the captive ball between the ramps
*Hitting the ELF targets (it's not easy, but it's a lot easier than trying to hit them off your bottom right flipper)
and most importantly
*Killing Smaug! Although many others have observed, you can also get off the killing blow from the lower flippers.

I use it for the right vuk shot too if time is running out and I need that shot!

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from cyw6850:

It's not as clear - from the playfield and audio what I need to do to build towards long term objectives.

It is clear to me - however, it is difficult to do.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlosopher:

Amen. The mini-screen page turning thing is clever and all but the mini screen is not particularly useful, which is a shame because it sure could be. It could really, really improve the game - and more people would like it - if it did more than tick off seconds and list modes as they cycle by. I would go so far as to say it would sell more games.

What would you suggest?

1 week later
#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I too have done this one time. I thought i broke the pin.. LOL

I haven't yet

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it?tu=Goronic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.