(Topic ID: 171478)

The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Metalzoic
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 3 years ago

Awesome game! Happy with my purchase and recommend the game to anyone interested.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Worst case is I hate it and I lose $100 or so

Pinball as an investment for money is a fools paradise.
As an investment in fun and excitement, its second to none for a lot of us.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Pinball as an investment for money is a fools paradise.
As an investment in fun and excitement, its second to none for a lot of us.

I'm not worried about making money and I don't look at them as investments. It's a hobby and they cost money. I'm not overly interested in losing a bunch of money though. I wouldn't think that anyone would want that.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

TH to me is one of the best games out there. I love it. I had league night last night and have some of the best pins out there. Four guys stayed until midnight playing "the hobbit". They all said it was the first time they could hear the sounds, understand the call outs, the pitch was set perfect, the flipper power was set high enough to make the ramps, etc. Not like at the shows..... They all walked away saying, just stunning. What a fantastic game. One guy in my league just traded his GB "stern fans" for the hobbit and loves it. Best decision he's made. Its just the kind of game that keeps you coming back to see how far the journey will go. Just my thoughts.. Ok, next person..

What is your pitch set at? What is your flipper strength setting?

#55 3 years ago

I make sure to play it many times when available at my league pinball events. First I think I like it better than WOZ because it has some ramps and more flow, however, I think WOZ has more in it with features and great light display of colors. But with WOZ its beautiful to look at and the play is too slow. As far as TH I still feel it's too wide open and repetitive and does not have the feel of the wide open game in AFM I get which to me has better flow and shots. I still feel we have more to come from JJP in making a great game. Dialed In looks to play faster than these two already made and with more flow, I just wish we would have had it a wide body based on increased price to get more in the game. I feel as a standard pin with much higher price we are getting less in the game than the past two already made, but it will play better. Makes no sense but you know what I mean.

#56 3 years ago

After owning it since around may, it's still a blast. I agree with everything panzer originally said. It's a machine that stands out just like woz. Its fast, and slow, then chaotic. It's deep, and fun with timed challenge modes. It is long ball times usually. I love it. I was on the fence for so long, and I'm very happy I got it. It does need dialed in, pun intended. Get it. It's an awesome change of pace.

#57 3 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people have received their tables and nobody has mentioned how long it took to get it. I've had mine fully paid for now for two years and still have not received my hobbit pin yet. Is it just me or did everyone who got theirs had to wait as long as me? At this point is it even worth the wait and hassle?

I don't get updates from them at all and I concidered it to be a slap in the face when they revealed their new pin "dialed in" concidering I still haven't received my hobbit table yet. I'm just dying to play it and after this 2 year wait I hope it's worth the wait.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

What is your pitch set at? What is your flipper strength setting?

Pitch is set at 7 and the flippers are set at 27..

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people have received their tables and nobody has mentioned how long it took to get it. I've had mine fully paid for now for two years and still have not received my hobbit pin yet. Is it just me or did everyone who got theirs had to wait as long as me? At this point is it even worth the wait and hassle?
I don't get updates from them at all and I concidered it to be a slap in the face when they revealed their new pin "dialed in" concidering I still haven't received my hobbit table yet. I'm just dying to play it and after this 2 year wait I hope it's worth the wait.

You know, this just shouldn't happen, its poor business. Forget "DI" how about the "Black Arrow" version release?? How about finishing the games people ordered 2 years ago before making another "edition" of the same game??

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

I got mine a little more than 90 days after I ordered it.

But I'm willing to bet that I paid more than you did too. I really like the pin, so I'd say if you've waited this long, it's worth waiting a bit longer especially if you got in at a good price.

I would also start making some noise with your distributor.

#61 3 years ago

I am in the minority I guess. I sold mine after 3 months. I loved the game play at first. But then it started to feel like a chore. The ball times can be really long. The thing that bothered me the most were the pop up trolls cock blocking every shot I needed to make. The game is beautiful. Killing Smaug was really cool. Into the fire is awesome. But in the end I couldn't get over the pop up trolls. To each his own.

Mike

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I got mine a little more than 90 days after I ordered it.
But I'm willing to bet that I paid more than you did too. I really like the pin, so I'd say if you've waited this long, it's worth waiting a bit longer especially if you got in at a good price.
I would also start making some noise with your distributor.

What? Are you kidding me? You got it 90 days after the order? I paid 8k for mine in October of 2014. They wanted the whole payment and wouldn't take just a deposit. That's 2 years they've been holding onto my money.

First they said I'd have it January of 2015, then June 2015, then October 2015, then June 2016 and now November 2016 and they said it's gonna be delayed again due their distributors being delayed. At this point I feel I should have some stock options in the company. When I made a stink about it on Facebook they kicked/blocked me from their page. I saw another guy complain here;

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jersey-jack-pinball-lakewood-township

and they cancelled his order and told him they didn't need his business so I'm afraid of complaining to much. His whole story is on yelp (see the attached link). All I want is my table.

Can I ask when you ordered your table? Also, I ordered the LE table. Was yours SE, LE or Standard?

#63 3 years ago

Biz in America is done with OPM. Other Peoples Money.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

What? Are you kidding me? You got it 90 days after the order? I paid 8k for mine in October of 2014. They wanted the whole payment and wouldn't take just a deposit. That's 2 years they've been holding onto my money.
First they said I'd have it January of 2015, then June 2015, then October 2015, then June 2016 and now November 2016 and they said it's gonna be delayed again due to the toys being on back order. At this point I feel I should have some stock options in the company. When I made a stink about it on Facebook they kicked/blocked me from their page. I saw another guy complain here;
and they cancelled his order and told him they didn't need his business so I'm afraid of complaining to much. His whole story is on yelp (see the attached link). All I want is my table.
Can I ask when you ordered your table?

Did you order directly through JJP or a distributor? If you ordered through JJP the problem becomes they have huge distributor orders in front of you and the distributors seem to always get priority. Anyone can buy one right now and get it immediately. It just comes at a higher price. Sounds like they are almost done though. If any BA edition ship before you get yours I would lose my mind though.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Did you order directly through JJP or a distributor? If you ordered through JJP the problem becomes they have huge distributor orders in front of you and the distributors seem to always get priority. Anyone can buy one right now and get it immediately. It just comes at a higher price. Sounds like they are almost done though. If any BA edition ship before you get yours I would lose my mind though.

I ordered it directly from JJP. That would make sense though. I just wish they would update me through e-mails. It's crickets unless I contact them directly. Just a "hey we haven't forgot about you, we've shipped xxx amount and your number is coming up". That would suffice me.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

I ordered it directly from JJP. That would make sense though. I just wish they would update me through e-mails. It's crickets unless I contact them directly. Just a "hey we haven't forgot about you, we've shipped xxx amount and your number is coming up". That would suffice me.

I think Jack said at expo there are only 300 more to go. So it sounds like you will get it in the next month or 2.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

First they said I'd have it January of 2015, then June 2015, then October 2015, then June 2016 and now November 2016 and they said it's gonna be delayed again due to the toys being on back order. At this point I feel I should have some stock options in the company. When I made a stink about it on Facebook they kicked/blocked me from their page. I saw another guy complain here;
Can I ask when you ordered your table? Also, I ordered the LE table. Was yours SE, LE or Standard?

I got my Smaug SE the same week I ordered it. Called and placed order on a Monday and it was delivered that Friday

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

I have confirmation of my pre-order from October 2112 (guessing I did it at Expo) and my first payment was made in Janurary 2013. I have been waiting just shy of four years to get my game. It seems like everyone got pushed in front of me and I was one of the very first in line for WOZ so to say it's disappointing is a bit of an understatement. I was emailed in June it was submitted to production for August delivery. I inquired this week and was told a few more weeks, they would be in touch soon. Sigh.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

I have confirmation of my pre-order from October 2112 (guessing I did it at Expo) and my first payment was made in Janurary 2013. I have been waiting just shy of four years to get my game. It seems like everyone got pushed in front of me and I was one of the very first in line for WOZ so to say it's disappointing is a bit of an understatement. I was emailed in June it was submitted to production for August delivery. I inquired this week and was told a few more weeks, they would be in touch soon. Sigh.

Was this for Hobbit or WOZ?

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

Was this for Hobbit or WOZ?

I received my WOZ pretty early on, probably in the order I placed my pre-order. I know there was no favoritism because I was proud of the fact that I got mine before Slash from Guns and Roses got his! I hope my complaining here isn't going to get me pushed back any farther for my Hobbit. I had not been worked up at all about all the delays leading up to actual production, never said a word because they stood behind WOZ, it didn't bother me until person after person and every distributor here on Pinside who was in way after me was getting their game before me once they started rolling off the line. Even back in the spring I rationalized that it was okay, the minor bugs would be worked out when mine arrived, but it's getting old at this point with all the missed dates. I flew out to Expo this year for the reveal of the new game and now I keep getting e-mails For Dialed In. Probably not a great idea to ask me to buy the new game in one email and then in another give me an open ended "should be ready in the next couple weeks". I love my WOZ and the code updates just made it better and better and I hope they can dust off the criticism of the name and theme of Dialed In and knock it out of the park. I played it, for a game 20% complete it was a lot of fun and the shots feel great but c'mon, epic marketing fail with a member of your target audience to keep pushing my delivery back.

#71 3 years ago

Distributors got bulk orders and guys like me bought from a distributor and received it a few days later. Sucks to wait that long, and you should get updates I agree. Stern announced batman and I'm sure many GB orders are still pending. I think it's just a basic business model. I will say it's worth the wait. I'm sure it will be coming soon.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

I received my WOZ pretty early on, probably in the order I placed my pre-order. I know there was no favoritism because I was proud of the fact that I got mine before Slash from Guns and Roses got his! I hope my complaining here isn't going to get me pushed back any farther for my Hobbit. I had not been worked up at all about all the delays leading up to actual production, never said a word because they stood behind WOZ, it didn't bother me until person after person and every distributor here on Pinside who was in way after me was getting their game before me once they started rolling off the line. Even back in the spring I rationalized that it was okay, the minor bugs would be worked out when mine arrived, but it's getting old at this point with all the missed dates. I flew out to Expo this year for the reveal of the new game and now I keep getting e-mails For Dialed In. Probably not a great idea to ask me to buy the new game in one email and then in another give me an open ended "should be ready in the next couple weeks". I love my WOZ and the code updates just made it better and better and I hope they can dust off the criticism of the name and theme of Dialed In and knock it out of the park. I played it, for a game 20% complete it was a lot of fun and the shots feel great but c'mon, epic marketing fail with a member of your target audience to keep pushing my delivery back.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I rationalized the same way and I'm still doing it. What really hit a nerve was I called 3 different pinball distributors tonight that said they didn't have them in stock however could order a brand new one "in the box" and have it shipped from JJP in a week.........? WHAT????? That was before I said I have had mine on pre-order for 2 years. They all quickly back pedaled. So JJP is telling me these guys can order one for me off the line today and have it in a week yet my pre-order from 2 years ago is pushed back again due to manufacturer delivery issues? WTF?

So again like you I'm scared to say anything because I want my pin and I also don't want to get pushed back anymore or piss off JJP. They have all my hard earned money and all the power at this point. I'm not at all a wealthy man and I spent years of my savings and sold whatever I could for the money to get this "extravagant" purchase.

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and go through another distributor to have it in the next 2 weeks? It'll only cost me my dignity, time, frustrations and...? and...? oh yea, another $1700 bucks. Plus the fact I would have to put the new purchase all on credit till I hopefully get my money back from JJP. What a mess.

I really just feel like giving up and keep on keeping on till they decide to shower me with one morsel of real cognitive information on when I might be getting my table. Maybe 2018? At least that way my hopes aren't jerked around every 1-2 months. I feel like I'm at the airport where they keep telling you it'll be another 30 minutes to board every 30 minutes but it's been going on like that for 2 years not 8 hours.

Until then I guess I can always find a local distributor or bowling ally to go play at cost to get my fix.

Woe is me.

#73 3 years ago

If anyone is looking for a HUO Le with cliffy protectors installed , I have mine listed for sale at $7500. Pm me. STI shipping okay.

thanks, James

#74 3 years ago

I've had mine for a couple of months and absolutely love it. I am biased since I love the theme, own LOTR and am a big Tolkien fan. If you don't like the theme at all, it might not be the best option for you. I have a decent size collection (10 games) and it works very well in a collection that size. It has relatively long ball times, but maybe not quite as long as LOTR. If I want to play something fast, I play Robo-War or STLE. If I want to play something with more strategy and a lot of drop targets, I play Hobbit. I'm still on version 1.31 of the code. Going to install 1.9 tomorrow.

As an aside, I also own WOZ and have had that for a couple of years. Hobbit is very different feel from WOZ. Both are great.

The depth is incredible. It's the most beautiful machine I've ever seen. It's incredibly well lit and great to play in a dark room as a result. It's definitely a keeper for me. I haven't regretted the purchase at all. Yes, I pre-ordered in December 2012, and the wait was a bit frustrating, but it was well worth it.

Mine is the Smaug SE. (Pre-ordered the LE and switch to Smaug SE when it became an option.) The new "Black Arrow" version doesn't bother me at all. I'd still choose Smaug over "Black Arrow" and Jersey Jack needs to do what it needs to do to survive financially. If that means releasing another special edition (like they did with WOZ ruby red), so be it. I'm happy with the version I have. They're not releasing additional "special editions" to anger their customers. They're doing it to be financially successful and survive. I want them to make it to release game #4 and beyond.

#75 3 years ago

Have had mine about a month. I love it but do not understand all of these people getting massive scores and really long games. I must really suck as those are rare for me and I still haven't broke a million (almost though!)

2 weeks later
#76 3 years ago

I LOVE MINE TOO! Not leaving my collection anytime soon if ever......

#77 3 years ago

Made it home with a Hobbit today.

IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

#78 3 years ago

I'm starting to wonder how many people are in the both the LOTR and TH clubs. Both games are great and have massive appeal for Tolkien fans. I don't think I'll ever be able to split them apart!

Congratulations on your new toy Jgentry!

#79 3 years ago

I really love my Hobbit. I had contemplated selling it but then got a bad feeling about doing so. It's just weird, whenever I play it I feel happy regardless of the score. I think there is a lot of strategy on hitting things and the extra ball is the most unique reward I've seen in a while. For some reason, it's the game I always go back to the most and my collection is starting to get pretty good. Anyway, wish I had more in depth comments but it's getting late.

Bottom line: The Hobbit is just fun to play. I've learned not to care about critique and just enjoy my games.

#80 3 years ago

A buddy and I got in several games on Hobbit this weekend on location with the latest code. It still has that floaty feel to it due to the 4 pop-ups but fine, we could look past that. We both agreed the depth of rules and the animations displayed are just awesome. However, we also both agreed that we constantly felt like we had no idea what was going on. While the lcd might display all the details there is just way too much information to convey and as the player you just don't have time to look around the lcd for what you should be doing. As the bystander I was calling out "5 more targets to jackpot, 4 more ... " etc. etc which helped my buddy but if you don't have that it's tough. Why aren't there more audio callouts telling the player what to shoot for? Are there any? Still love the artwork and animations and sounds though.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

A buddy and I got in several games on Hobbit this weekend on location with the latest code. It still has that floaty feel to it due to the 4 pop-ups but fine, we could look past that. We both agreed the depth of rules and the animations displayed are just awesome. However, we also both agreed that we constantly felt like we had no idea what was going on. While the lcd might display all the details there is just way too much information to convey and as the player you just don't have time to look around the lcd for what you should be doing. As the bystander I was calling out "5 more targets to jackpot, 4 more ... " etc. etc which helped my buddy but if you don't have that it's tough. Why aren't there more audio callouts telling the player what to shoot for? Are there any? Still love the artwork and animations and sounds though.

I kind of agree w/ you for the most part. Understanding the game was hard "at first". Once i learned what to do, what to shoot for, etc... the game is fun as hell. But, i have to admit, i still don't know how to kill Smaug..

#82 3 years ago

Absolutely love mine. I was hoping to really like it, but was shocked at how much I love it.
Surprisingly my wife absolutely loves it too (which is very unusual) as well a her mom. They stayed up until 2 in the morning played it together when she came over. Pretty cool. So far everyone that's played it has wanted to keep playing it.

We have about 900 plays on it now and everything works perfectly except for two issues. First there's a slight crackle/hiss from the speakers when there's no sound. It's been driving me crazy and I've been over the entire machine about 3 times but have found nothing loose or a fix for it. The other problem was that there was a bunch of debris under my playfield protector straight out of the box, I had to take the slings apart, lift it up and clean underneath it to get it all out. Other than that it's great.

pinside pica (resized).jpg

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Absolutely love mine. I was hoping to really like it, but was shocked at how much I love it.
Surprisingly my wife absolutely loves it too (which is very unusual) as well a her mom. They stayed up until 2 in the morning played it together when she came over. Pretty cool. So far everyone that's played it has wanted to keep playing it.
We have about 900 plays on it now and everything works perfectly except for two issues. First there's a slight crackle/hiss from the speakers when there's no sound. It's been driving me crazy and I've been over the entire machine about 3 times but have found nothing loose or a fix for it. The other problem was that there was a bunch of debris under my playfield protector straight out of the box, I had to take the slings apart, lift it up and clean underneath it to get it all out. Other than that it's great.

Whats hanging from your left VUK?

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Whats hanging from your left VUK?

On the left VUK (to hide the metal bracket behind it), and hiding the metal bracket of the small LCD and hiding the metal bracket of the right spinner are the Dwarf gold coins from the movies. They're actually the same coins that show LOCK on the Large LCD, although I put them in showing the other side of the coin.

Hiding the bare metal bracket behind the spinner of the right Kili loop is a reproduction of Kili's runestone.
Bottom left is the sword Orcrist, bottom right above shooter lane is Sting. To the left of it is Gandolfs staff. And a model of the Dwarf key is dead center between the ramps where the key/Thorin shot is

EDIT: Forgot that there is also a reproduction of the One Ring on the clear plastic above the shot into the bumpers.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

On the left VUK (to hide the metal bracket behind it), and hiding the metal bracket of the small LCD and hiding the metal bracket of the right spinner are the Dwarf gold coins from the movies. They're actually the same coins that show LOCK on the Large LCD, although I put them in showing the other side of the coin.
Hiding the bare metal bracket behind the spinner of the right Kili loop is a reproduction of Kili's runestone.
Bottom left is the sword Orcrist, bottom right above shooter lane is Sting. To the left of it is Gandolfs staff. And a model of the Dwarf key is dead center between the ramps where the key/Thorin shot is
EDIT: Forgot that there is also a reproduction of the One Ring on the clear plastic above the shot into the bumpers.

Sweet.. Nice additions..

#86 3 years ago

I played it recently and I really liked it. I wouldn't mind one but I'll wait until they stop cranking cash grab special editions and secondary market prices fall.

I found it more fun than WOZ which was confusing to me and very cluttered. Both are beautiful machines although WOZ has more colors going on and seems a little prettier.

Gameplay wise Hobbit is fun and I didn't find it slow or floaty at all. It relies maybe a bit too heavily on the pop up targets as without them the playfield seems kind of empty.

I need more time with it but it's an impressive machine.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

But, i have to admit, i still don't know how to kill Smaug..

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out how to kill Smaug. Owned mine since August and still feel like I hardly know when to hit things. But I love everything about this game nonetheless.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out how to kill Smaug. Owned mine since August and still feel like I hardly know when to hit things. But I love everything about this game nonetheless.

Part of the problem is that the whack-a-mole mode (Beast Frenzy multiball) seems to stack in most Smaug multiballs making it very difficult to know what to shoot for, or to even hit what you'd like as the moles keep popping up. I really wish they would limit this mode, or give the player a chance to finish the mode while still in multiball (3 hits to each beast say). The stacking of modes and multiballs adds to the confusion. The rules are creative, I just don't like all the stacking and there is WAY too much use of the beast pop-ups for my taste.

#89 3 years ago

You get 'credit' for starting beast multiball (and don't have to finish it - not sure if you can really). My thoughts are that you can't start beast multiball when in Smaug multiball. If you start smaug multiball in beast multiball then the beast multiball is canceled.

My 2 cents.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Surprisingly my wife absolutely loves it too (which is very unusual) as well a her mom.

You say that like its a good thing.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You get 'credit' for starting beast multiball (and don't have to finish it - not sure if you can really). My thoughts are that you can't start beast multiball when in Smaug multiball. If you start smaug multiball in beast multiball then the beast multiball is canceled.
My 2 cents.

Beast frenzy DOES stack with Smaug multiball, and seems to most times for me. And no, you can't "finish" beast multiball without draining to one ball remaining (and thus ending Smaug multiball too). This, to me, is not good. Throw a mode into the mix, and it's a flail-fest. I hope this aspect of the game changes with future updates. When trying to kill Smaug, you should be able to focus on that task alone imo.

#92 3 years ago

Non-owner chiming in - sorry Vid. I've already been chastised for commenting in the Owners thread when I'm not an owner, so I hope my comments are okay over here.

I played it a few times at ReplayFX, in its early stages and when it had been on the market for a few months. I found it beautiful but boring. "Floaty", as they say.

Then I came across it at the Fremont Arcade in Las Vegas. Didn't quite know what I was doing yet, but after being able to really play around with it for a while, I could tell there was something there. Plus, one of the staff members at the Arcade congratulated me on my play and that's always a lovely feeling

And then one day, during my habitual checking of Pinballmap, a Hobbit popped up for the first time in Southern California. Alas, it was at a bowling alley known for having some pretty beat up games. And it's 30 miles from my house. But it's the Hobbit!!

I've made the trip there and back at least a dozen times now. I'm infatuated with the goddamn thing. It's so immersive and strategic and just wonderful to play, that I can't get enough of it!

So, yawl, believe me when I say I love this freaking game. And understand that loving something sometimes means you gotta be critical of it. Constructively! Or as best as my layman self can.

First of all, I'm VERY curious as to how this rudebwoy plays on route vs. at home. There is just no way around the fact that this machine needs some TLC to work properly. I feel so incredibly awful when the ball hits a beast at just the last moment and the door closes on top of the ball, leaving it stuck there. It's quite a testament to the strength of this game that it just doesn't break then and there when that happens! So the ball eventually pops out when you drain or during a ball search and hey, it might even be a devious way to keep a MB going (that hurts my heart to do that, but as I type this out, I wonder if maybe next time...). Eventually though, stuff just stops working. The Warg target, for example, just doesn't wanna raise out of the playfield (so I can never beat Into the Fire! ). I don't know if it's an easy fix at home, you take the glass off, adjust some screws, voila? But on route, the player doesn't have much of a choice. I've heard 1.90 adjusts for non-working pop ups, but the one I play is on 1.31.

Another reason I wonder if this game is worth putting on route is how it tends to have pretty damn long ball times. Let's say I play ten games on The Hobbit during a visit. Five of them will be horrible, done in under 90 seconds. Four of them will be about 10 minutes long. And then I'll (hopefully!) have that one, epic, 45 minute game. I do my best, but I'm nowhere near a pinball champ and so I wonder, if someone IS an amazing pinball player, will they just be rocking this thing on one credit for hours at a time?

As immersive as this game is, I feel that the call outs tend to be repetitive. However, the incredible sounds of battle whenever you get into a Smaug Multiball or a mini-wizard mode more than makes up for that.

I don't like that the game shipped without a BOTFA mode, yet with an insert announcing its' eventual arrival. That's on the state of the industry though, and I'm already annoyed with being chastised for asking questions about the AC/DC Cannon inserts elsewhere so I'm not really interested in taking up arms about it. Just mentioning it. And if I understand correctly, there isn't anything in the code for beating all 31 modes?!?!? Come on now, that's some "we're sorry, the princess is in another castle" type letdown right there.

Please, don't take what I just said for me not liking the game. I think it's pretty obvious that if I'm willing to drive 60 miles on a regular basis to play it that I'm pretty INTO IT. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and be able to buy one. Or maybe Ron will get one in at Pinball Land. Whatever. This game is the absolute bees knees and big, big, big ups to all those involved with the creation of it!

PS I've killed Smaug twice now, and I don't know how the eff I did it!

PPS my highest ring score is 7000. Oooh every smack to the ring button feels so incredible when you're making those crazy points every time!

IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Beast frenzy DOES stack with Smaug multiball, and seems to most times for me. And no, you can't "finish" beast multiball without draining to one ball remaining (and thus ending Smaug multiball too). This, to me, is not good. Throw a mode into the mix, and it's a flail-fest. I hope this aspect of the game changes with future updates. When trying to kill Smaug, you should be able to focus on that task alone imo.

Sorry my post was confusing. I meant that I wish it would work like I was detailing - not what it is doing with the current code

#94 3 years ago

I am loving TH too. A lot of little things are done right and a couple of aspects feel groundbreaking. Game's mood seems light, but in mb things are more intense than TWD.

One thing I've noticed is newest code allows you to start mode while in smaug mb. While earlier versions like 1.31, if you wanted both running, you had to start a mode prior to starting smaug mb. The change has been in effect about a month now and I greatly prefer how it works now. High scores have risen to just over 4M. I have been really close to beating five armies and will do it soon, having read what to do on Pinside.

My experience is the same as Corney"s. 5 quick games, 4 medium and then 1 long game. My thinking in searching to make a high score is unless I have reached around 1M on ball 1, chances for the good game are low so I tend to restart. This will drive some people nuts to watch but is becoming a bad habbit. When I am playing to see the game or complete modes, a bad ball 1 does not dissuade me from continuing to play the game through to the end. My point might be that depending on whether I want points or experience, I am playing somewhat differently, and having a blast in both cases.

Do we have wishlist thread for code, there are some ideas floating around in people's noggins that would be great to collect and have Keith consider implementing?

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Do we have wishlist thread for code, there are some ideas floating around in people's noggins that would be great to collect and have Keith consider implementing?

I've only had mine for a couple days...but the main thing that sticks out for me is the game could use some more callouts to really tie it all together, and make shots feel more satisfying and informative. There is a LOT going on in this game...and it's tough to look up to the screen every time you hit something to see what you accomplished. I posted this on the JJP forum, let me know what you guys think.

----------

I was thinking about LOTR and how each time you collect a character, you get a little musical flourish & a voice clip of that character ("You have my axe!, etc"). As you collect the characters in Hobbit, there don't seem to be corresponding voice clips to go with the shot. It would be really nice if this could be added...even if it's something simple like Gandalf saying the Dwarf names like in the movie (ex. collect the right bank and he says "Nori, Dori, Ori"). A Bilbo voice clip when you hit his shot to qualify modes, a Radagast voice clip when you hit his shot to qualify modes, etc...I think this would be really nice and really give the player some extra satisfaction and information for hitting a particular shot.

Likewise, if this is possible, it would be great to have more instructional speech from Gandalf. I guess this would depend on if the sound-alike Gandalf has recorded extra speech or if he'd be willing to do more...but it would be great if there was a bit more instructional speech on the modes. Again, it's tough to look up at the screen to see what you are supposed to do, so some audio telling you "shoot the left ramp", "shoot the yellow targets" would really feel good.

I know 1.9 was announced as "final", but I'm hoping that means all the main gameplay is now in place & adding little flourishes on top of that like extra callouts is something that's still a possibility.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I know 1.9 was announced as "final", but I'm hoping that means all the main gameplay is now in place & adding little flourishes on top of that like extra callouts is something that's still a possibility.

They also said 2.0 on WOZ was "final", and they are over version 6 now. On the JJP forums, Ted Estes already commented saying a small update is coming soon. I am sure they will keep working on this game for a while.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

They also said 2.0 on WOZ was "final", and they are over version 6 now. On the JJP forums, Ted Estes already commented saying a small update is coming soon. I am sure they will keep working on this game for a while.

After playing more and monkeying with the audio mix a bit...there are Dwarf callouts when you hit their targets...whoops. Still, Radagast, Gandalf, and Bilbo would be nice!

Speaking of sound - when you change the mix settings...what exactly is "Fanfare"? How does that differ from FX?

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

After playing more and monkeying with the audio mix a bit...there are Dwarf callouts when you hit their targets...whoops. Still, Radagast, Gandalf, and Bilbo would be nice!
Speaking of sound - when you change the mix settings...what exactly is "Fanfare"? How does that differ from FX?

Fanfare is like the short bursts of music or trumpets. Like "do-do-do-DOOOOOO" or "dun-dun-Dunnnnnnnn". They are used to add excitement to starting or finishing a mode or making certain shots.

Sound fx are just things like the spinner spinning, bumpers bumping, targets being hit and making a sword or whatever sound.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Likewise, if this is possible, it would be great to have more instructional speech from Gandalf. I guess this would depend on if the sound-alike Gandalf has recorded extra speech or if he'd be willing to do more...but it would be great if there was a bit more instructional speech on the modes. Again, it's tough to look up at the screen to see what you are supposed to do, so some audio telling you "shoot the left ramp", "shoot the yellow targets" would really feel good.

Sorry to quote myself lol....but just played another game and noticed Gandalf does sometimes say "Shoot the bumpers" or "shoot the left ramp!" ...so, hopefully they can implement that into more modes or more often.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry to quote myself lol....but just played another game and noticed Gandalf does sometimes say "Shoot the bumpers" or "shoot the left ramp!" ...so, hopefully they can implement that into more modes or more often.

I was about to respond that there are dwarf hit callouts and animation, and we do have Gandalf callouts like shoot left ramp, right ramp, bash the spider, hit the orc...

More is always welcome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 21.00
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside