The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

1 year ago

Stats

• 244 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by Metalzoic
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

There are 244 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 1 year ago

So after playing The Hobbit at several shows I was largely down on it. It played slow and it felt like all you do is bash the pop ups over an over. I realized the slow floaty play was due to setup but it still just didn't feel that fun. Since then I just mostly brushed it off and haven't thought about it again much. So now that a lot of people have had one in their home for a while how do you really feel about the game? Does it stand up well against other new games? Is it different enough to be a keeper in a home collection? Is the code fun?

With all of the price increases of future NIB games I'm circling back to this one to give it another look and just wanted to know peoples honest opinions that have had a lot of time on one. I tend to be more of a short ball time game person so that concerns me but I do enjoy a game of XMENLE or LOTR mixed in from time to time.

#2 1 year ago

Just one question before I give you my thoughts. Did you play it at shows like York, Allentown?

#3 1 year ago

Its an increible and fast paced game. Yes I said fast paced as the way my game is setup st 6.8 degrees and silcone flipper bands it plays quick, lol.

The code support for The Hobbit has turned into a very fun and deep pinball machine. I backed out of The Hobbit twice and eventually got pulled back in after playing the game with newer code.

Today there are 31, thats 31, modes, all unique and objective based in The Hobbit. Theres 3 mini wizard modes being Beat, Feast Frenzy and Smaug multiball and as on version 1.9 all 3 major wizard modes, the Arkenstone modes, are in the game. There is still a final wizard mode, a super wizard for completing everything, to come.

The light shows, audio, use of the mini LCD, and animations on the main display are all top notch and create one of the best pinball playing experiences out there in my opinion.

Simply put The Hobbit is one of my favorite pinball machines I tend to prefer objective based rulesets that makes a player feel like they are on a quest and I think the Hobbit provides that feeling incredibly well.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Just one question before I give you my thoughts. Did you play it at shows like York, Allentown?

Played it at TPF 2 years in a row, at expo last year, and another show or 2. Been about a year though.

#5 1 year ago

I was kind of wondering the same thing as you jgentry. I love the theme and think the game looks amazing with good build quality. However I wasn't sure what I thought of the game play. But now the more I play it and see it the more i understand about what you're supposed to be doing and that of course makes it more fun. The new code attract mode makes it clear the objectives to get to arkenstone modes. I'm still intrigued and think there's more good stuff to come.

#6 1 year ago

How long will it be until non-owners start chiming in about their feelings?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How long will it be until non-owners start chiming in about their feelings?

I'm sure it's coming, bring on the non owners opinions though as long as they have played it a lot and have an honest educated opinion.

#8 1 year ago

I haven't played it in a few weeks - kids' activities, work, refinishing my basement, general life stuff and all that jazz - but I love it. It just keeps getting better and better with each update and I'm stoked to download 1.9 on it. If JJP continues to support it code-wise, like they did with WOZ, more goodness is to come!

If you prefer a killer fast and furious game that punishes you, TH may not be for you. It can be floaty at times. So can LOTR for comparison purposes, especially the PotD upper playfield!! But, as Panzer noted, if you like quest based games that can take time, TH is absolutely worth a look. It is a beautiful game with a fantastic light show, incredible LCD integration, etc. etc.

It is an incredibly immersive experience and I would buy it again were I in the same position.

On a related note, my machine has been trouble free with only a few typical switch adjustments needed. I have the initial update kit which includes the beast mech inserts, the new drop target springs and the ramp post add-on. My machine came with the new ramp so no need to add the post. Haven't had to change a drop target spring yet, and I don't intend to install the beast mech inserts. I've never had a ball get stuck in the front area of a beast mech. Had some get stuck in the back, but those were quickly cleared with the built-in ball search. My ramp flaps have curled up - hard to miss it when it happens - and my ramp flap fix kit is in transit to me. JJP support has been excellent to me. YMMV

#9 1 year ago

From an operator's stand point. JJP knocked it out of the park.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I am biased. And I'm damn glad it's here.

#10 1 year ago

I owned the game since they first shipped and just sold it.

- Beautiful game to look at, just stunning
- Great theme and art package
- LCD screen is incredible and ties in well with the theme and gameplay feedback
- Modes are plenty and fun to play, but easy
- Progression on each of the 3 tiers is easy to complete
- Layout is way to open and simple (this is my #1 issue with the game)
- I find the game very easy, with long ball times
- Multi-balls are very easy to achieve and can go on for a long time
- Drop targets are so loud and can get annoying clicking and clacking
- Smaug toy is a let down
- And ……………………..It’s heavy as *&#%

I really gave the game a chance, but in a home environment I need something harder and more compelling to master. If I had ultimate room I would keep it, but with a max of about 12 games I need to be more selective. Ghostbusters prem is replacing it.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from mummite:

It sure as f*ck is! Just moved it to our basement over the weekend - don't know if it will ever leave from there!!!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from mummite:

- LCD screen is incredible and ties in well with the theme and gameplay feedback
I really gave the game a chance, but in a home environment I need something harder and more compelling to master. If I had ultimate room I would keep it, but with a max of about 12 games I need to be more selective. Ghostbusters prem is replacing it.

Thanks for your honesty. If you don't mind me asking did you take a pretty good hit on the resale price or did it hold up pretty good? Not trying to be nosey but I could see myself getting it, loving it for a few months, then tiring of the same journey over and over. Pins that tell a great story are awesome but I find they get old much quicker.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Thanks for your honesty. If you don't mind me asking did you take a pretty good hit on the resale price or did it hold up pretty good? Not trying to be nosey but I could see myself getting it, loving it for a few months, then tiring of the same journey over and over. Pins that tell a great story are awesome but I find they get old much quicker.

I can't answer for mummite, but if you are interested in getting TH, you have to go into it with the assumption that you will not recoup all your investment. That's my opinion.

It's easy to get NIB and will most likely be that way for quite a few more months. JJP is still producing WOZ. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still producing both WOZ and TH when Dialed In is on the main assembly line. They'll certainly be producing TH on the smaller secondary line while Dialed In occupies the main line.

#14 1 year ago

My friend's enjoyed his Hobbit and I got to play it, but the announcement of another newer, better version has left a sour taste in his mouth.

He says it's hitting the road so he can get a new Batman instead.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

My friend's enjoyed his Hobbit and I got to play it, but the announcement of another newer, better version has left a sour taste in his mouth.

Do you have another friend that is mad at stern for making a newer, better version of Batman

Quoted from dtowndobe:

I can't answer for mummite, but if you are interested in getting TH, you have to go into it with the assumption that you will not recoup all your investment. That's my opinion.
It's easy to get NIB and will most likely be that way for quite a few more months. JJP is still producing WOZ. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still producing both WOZ and TH when Dialed In is on the main assembly line. They'll certainly be producing TH on the smaller secondary line while Dialed In occupies the main line.

I don't mind losing a little, that's just part of it. I don't want to lose a lot on a game though if I can help it. I was mainly asking as the HUO market price is a great indicator of how well the game is being received. I saw a lot of people dump it quickly after they started shipping, but that seems to have dried up a lot.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Do you have another friend that is mad at stern for making a newer, better version of Batman

No I totally understand when you make an LE, it is only an LE of that version. But again, I wasn't the one buying it and assumed it would be the more favorable version to own. Of course we've been down that road before.

No response when he requested trading in his Smaug version for the new Black Arrow version even after being one of the first in on both that and WoZ. I don't think all that mattered as much as he just likes the Batman theme.

Edit-I will add he recieved an e-mail promoting the new Black Arrow edition before he made his request.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Really? The Black Arrow SE isn't better, the armor isn't even hammered, just flat black. I think the SE and LE looks far superior, same goes with the cabinet artwork on both.

#18 1 year ago

Plus why do that? The Smaug version is nicer to begin with.

#19 1 year ago

I can see people getting a little upset at the different versions that come out later. To me they are all one in the same so it doesn't really matter. Can't play the trim color or the cabinet art.

#20 1 year ago

I haven't owned mine long, and I'm on the fence with it..sort of.
It's easily one of the nicest games I've seen or owned. The gameplay and modes are very fun, especially the 3 mini wizard modes, and I find the shots feel pretty good once you dial it in.
The multiball is among the most insane I've ever experienced in a pinball and there are moments during these that just wow you with the lighting and shaking, it's really something.

With that said, I was looking forward to the code update but I was hoping for a little more reward/acknowledgement for completing things, as I'm not sure there even is yet for doing all the 31 modes, or better call outs in general.
I think the code is pretty nice as is, I just need it complete for my tastes. I'm sure future releases will address this, I just don't know if I'll have the patience. It's a big money machine and there are a lot of other big money machines, so it really comes down to how much the game grabs you.

Pros: Stunning, beautiful machine. Very fun gameplay, ''there's a lot to do'' is an understatement. Superb use of the lcd monitor.

Cons: Yup, it's heavy. Smaug toy could have been better imo, it's okay but it's just eye candy. You either love or hate the pop ups (i didn't mind them)

#21 1 year ago

I don't see the Black Arrow SE as a 'better version' - just different. Some like the LE, some like the Smaug SE, and now people can buy this SE version if they prefer it over the LE version. The Smaug SE won't be made anymore except to fill older orders, so the Black Arrow SE is the option now for new buyers (unless you find a distrib that still has a Smaug SE or a used Smaug SE)

#22 1 year ago

Oh, and regarding the question. If I could get my money back and buy another pin - I would buy TH again.

EDIT:
But I would be tempted to get a TRON LE (but like last time -would get TH instead).
TRON LE is just f#(king awesome to me.

#23 1 year ago

I think for the most part people are misinterpreting what an LE is. It is a limited edition of the game with a particular package. They could make 5 different LEs of the same machine and it wouldn't really matter. And what one company classifies as an LE is certainly not what another company has to do.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think for the most part people are misinterpreting what an LE is. It is a limited edition of the game with a particular package. They could make 5 different LEs of the same machine and it wouldn't really matter. and what one company classifies as an LE is certainly not what another company has to do.

Agree. The Hobbit only has one 'LE', and two 'SE' (Special Edition) models (Smaug ang Black Arrow), and a Standard (which I think has the same cab art as the LE)

#25 1 year ago

It's amazing! Buy one!

#26 1 year ago

I love mine, but I'm thinking of selling. The game times are just too damn long. If I play I have to make sure I have 45 minutes free in case I have a good game. Mine hasn't been powered on in a couple of weeks because of this.

Besides that, it's been a trouble free pin for me.

#27 1 year ago

I much prefer a quest type game, my SE is never leaving.
If the black arrow version was offered when I bought mine, I still would have bought the SE.
I have other games in my collection with short ball times but Still my SE draws me in.
The story and quest is immersive and compelling.
If you like the shortest of ball times get the Ghostbuters, its a blast to play but can be very frustrating without all of the aftermarket fixes and center post, or an Iron Man.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from mummite:

but with a max of about 12 games I need to be more selective.

Poor fella

#29 1 year ago

They're not all long ball times...but if you like shorter times just remove the center post and widen the outlanes...easy and done.

If you want to explore a deep game, you are going to want some longer ball times... otherwise a deep game is just waisted...

#30 1 year ago

I've heard this mentioned elsewhere, but perhaps some sort of "Pause" feature would be nice to have (kind of like the one on TZ in the home Rom).

I remember getting tired playing my LOTR when I was having a great game...

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

They're not all long ball times...but if you like shorter times just remove the center post and widen the outlanes...easy and done.

I have seriously found that center post to screw me more than it has saved me.

#32 1 year ago

I love it in my collection.

I played Dialed in a lot on the weekend and was thinking 'wow, i wish Pat designed the hobbit so it had flow like this'.
After 15+ games on dialed in i gave The Hobbit a go...
such a difference. You don't get the shot satisfaction in the Hobbit like you do with other games, but you do get the best of everything else. Sound, mode rules, scoring strategies, lighting effect etc. The Theme of TH sucks mm into the pin big time.

I started explaining the rules to some of the people I was playing with and all of them where shocked that they had played it at so many expos and finally the pin made sense.
I saw one guy get 1.3 million but not finish 1 mode. He was at the last stage of Smaug multiball but didn't know how to kill him.
I guess that means the game doesn't do a great job at being intuitive? You can say the same thing about TSPP, WOZ, and LOTR though. All Joe B/Keith J Pins.
The pin has also set up pretty slow. I have mine at 7.5 and it plays SOOOOO much better

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from mummite:

Tweaking the software settings to make the extra balls less frequent and the multiballs harder to start makes the game a LOT more enjoyable. Otherwise with factory settings it's just one multiball after another with extra balls raining down. I really think JJP would be well served to rebalance the factory default settings. For home players, it's too easy in general. For locations, without tweaks, the ball times will be too long. With just a few adjustments, both of these things are easily fixed and the game is more fun, IMO.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Tweaking the software settings to make the extra balls less frequent and the multiballs harder to start makes the game a LOT more enjoyable. Otherwise with factory settings it's just one multiball after another with extra balls raining down. I really think JJP would be well served to rebalance the factory default settings. For home players, it's too easy in general. For locations, without tweaks, the ball times will be too long. With just a few adjustments, both of these things are easily fixed and the game is more fun, IMO.

31 modes though...
Tweaking the factory defaults could make it too tough to get to the end.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

31 modes though...
Tweaking the factory defaults could make it too tough to get to the end.

Nah. I got through pretty much everything in 1.31 with the settings tweaked, and I'm not a fantastic player, just a good one. Before tweaking things, the multiballs and extra balls were so plentiful, that I often had the urge to just walk away from games in progress. Turning down the noise (literally and figuratively) helps make it easier to focus on the goals at any particular time, IMO.

I don't think the 1.9 update has the super wizard mode in it, so there's still more to look forward to now that Battle of the Five Armies is finally in.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I love mine, but I'm thinking of selling. The game times are just too damn long. If I play I have to make sure I have 45 minutes free in case I have a good game. Mine hasn't been powered on in a couple of weeks because of this.

Yep, this and the layout are what finally drove me to move the game. I had the same issue where I would have a 30+ min game and not play it again for weeks. I think harder games just work better for a home environment since they keep ya coming back. Man I do miss my BSD some days!

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

another newer, better version

I'm curious if other people feel the same way. My personal preference is that the LE is still the best looking of the bunch. Aside from aesthetics, what makes the Black Arrow SE "better"?

#38 1 year ago

I'm not that good of a player so I don't think long ball times will be a problem for me. I love the idea of TH and on the fence.

Also I saw and played the new Black Arrow and I think I like the LE version better, but close enough to be on the fence for that one as well.

#39 1 year ago

I'm going to describe it as a sugar rush. I found it to be the most beautiful machine. The sound, video, build quality, just gorgeous. When it goes off it goes off big. I probably played it for more continuous hours than I had any other machine when it arrived. Yes, lots of modes. Some you will like, some you will dislike. On day ten it all just stopped for me. I sold it the next day and wasn't regretting it one bit. I am back to LOTR for my Middle Earth fix.

#40 1 year ago

I have an SE and damn glad to have it. I don't really care if there is a Black Arrow version or not. The Smaug Edition is gorgeous. For the game play aspect, I like that it is a slower pace with longer ball times. I have WoZ, Tron Pro, Creature and Fishtales and a Metellica Pro on it's way that play pretty fast. This is a nice change up and it is challenging. Excited to do the new upgrade to 1.9 to see what's new.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There is still a final wizard mode, a super wizard for completing everything, to come.

This was probably addressed in another thread - but didn't Jack say at Expo that the new release would be the "final" code?

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm going to describe it as a sugar rush. I found it to be the most beautiful machine. The sound, video, build quality, just gorgeous. When it goes off it goes off big. I probably played it for more continuous hours than I had any other machine when it arrived. Yes, lots of modes. Some you will like, some you will dislike. On day ten it all just stopped for me. I sold it the next day and wasn't regretting it one bit. I am back to LOTR for my Middle Earth fix.

Not every game is for everyone, its one of the many great things about pinball in general, the diversity.

#43 1 year ago

I haven't stopped playing my THLE since it came into my collection. Poor old WOZLERE has been sitting next to it with no love at all, although I'm sure that will change over time.

The latest code was installed last night and already seems to be a significant improvement.

Two words: Buy It

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Aside from aesthetics, what makes the Black Arrow SE "better"?

I couldn't tell you. But when you just recieved your LE less than a few months prior after waiting for years and then you get an e-mail trying to sell you the new version, I can see how some might be taken aback.

#45 1 year ago

I traded two sterns for my smaug machine and do not regret it. Only had 36 plays on it, so you can guess the guy didnt enjoy the machine. I really like it. Its not the hardest machine to play, but its a beautifull looking machine. The multiballs are fun and the sounds are great. My wife hates the movies, but likes this machine alot. The price is crazy. If you can trade with a owner its easier to swallow.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

So after playing The Hobbit at several shows I was largely down on it. It played slow and it felt like all you do is bash the pop ups over an over. I realized the slow floaty play was due to setup but it still just didn't feel that fun. Since then I just mostly brushed it off and haven't thought about it again much. So now that a lot of people have had one in their home for a while how do you really feel about the game? Does it stand up well against other new games? Is it different enough to be a keeper in a home collection? Is the code fun?
With all of the price increases of future NIB games I'm circling back to this one to give it another look and just wanted to know peoples honest opinions that have had a lot of time on one. I tend to be more of a short ball time game person so that concerns me but I do enjoy a game of XMENLE or LOTR mixed in from time to time.

I play THSE more than any games in my collection which includes LOTR, WOZ, METLE, MB and MM. TH has the best multiball mode I have played bar none. I personally think TH blows WOZ out of the water, and most of all it is a blast to play. I have played all the NIB games out except the just released ones revealed at expo, and I feel TH is the best by far. Having quicker games is nice but I like a mix in my collection. WOZ to me is a drain machine, but LOTR and TH keep me occupied for a while. BTW, I love the themes which makes me biased.

#47 1 year ago

I love mine! Its different, unique and fun!

#48 1 year ago

TH to me is one of the best games out there. I love it. I had league night last night and have some of the best pins out there. Four guys stayed until midnight playing "the hobbit". They all said it was the first time they could hear the sounds, understand the call outs, the pitch was set perfect, the flipper power was set high enough to make the ramps, etc. Not like at the shows..... They all walked away saying, just stunning. What a fantastic game. One guy in my league just traded his GB "stern fans" for the hobbit and loves it. Best decision he's made. Its just the kind of game that keeps you coming back to see how far the journey will go. Just my thoughts.. Ok, next person..

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I love mine! Its different, unique and fun!

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Hobbit came at the right time for me as I was getting burned out and felt that most of my pins were just too similar. Hobbit changed things up very nicely for me with the open widebody layout. The theme, sounds, call outs, artwork, LCD, overall appearance and quality feel have kept me happy with my choice.

#50 1 year ago

Sounds like it's worth trying. I have a decent sized collection so I can have some games that I don't want to play very often. Just got a pretty good deal on the BA edition used at expo. Looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks. It's been played enough to work out any bugs and is being gone back through by a really good pin tech so it's a win win. Worst case is I hate it and I lose $100 or so.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
£ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
There are 244 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 362 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside