(Topic ID: 171478)

The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by indybru
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

would it be possible to twin the book lcd and place one on the apron?

It's just VGA, so with a powered VGA splitter - yes.

#202 7 years ago

I would like to be able to use the ring button to plunge for skill shot with a bouncing bar similar to the ring save or the kickback.

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

I would like to be able to use the ring button to plunge for skill shot with a bouncing bar similar to the ring save or the kickback.

This is a cool idea. I'd like it even more if you have to earn this bonus skill shot through a mystery award

#204 7 years ago

After about a week of ownership, I'm loving the game immensely. It's so much better after you understand the rules and know what to do. If you've casually played it a couple of times, you likely aren't going to appreciate it. I see it sitting right next to my LOTR for years to come.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

After about a week of ownership, I'm loving the game immensely. It's so much better after you understand the rules and know what to do. If you've casually played it a couple of times, you likely aren't going to appreciate it. I see it sitting right next to my LOTR for years to come.

At this point if one left, it would be LOTR. Hobbit is a very fun game. I have a very short wishlist:

1. More audio cues as it is very hard to know what to shoot for at times
2. No beast multiball during smaug multiball (as has been mention by others)

#206 7 years ago

I have serious concerns with this game. There are some elements on the PF (upper flipper) that make no sense at all. When I see this game on location at least half the monster pop ups are broken. When the game DOES work, i see an wide open PF with 20 shots on it and the gameplay is BORING?!? How does this happen? Has Jersey Jack forgotten that this industry is driven by operators? Even as a home buyer, I would not consider buying this game.

It's just how I feel about this table.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I have serious concerns with this game. There are some elements on the PF (upper flipper) that make no sense at all. When I see this game on location at least half the monster pop ups are broken. When the game DOES work, i see an wide open PF with 20 shots on it and the gameplay is BORING?!? How does this happen? Has Jersey Jack forgotten that this industry is driven by operators? Even as a home buyer, I would not consider buying this game.

But the topic of this thread is what do OWNERS feel about it ... so out of bounds.

#208 7 years ago

The game has a few shortcomings but I don't think that fun factor is one of them. Boring? Huh? There is just so much to do and with the unbelievable number of callouts and video clips I feel like I'm always seeing something new. Amazing light shows too. Mine came with the fixes already installed from the factory so I have not had a single problem with the pop-up beasts yet or anything else for that matter. Sound quality is amazing in a home environment too which is where you can best appreciate this game. I'm confident that operators are pretty happy with how the game is earning on location too (it's a shame if some operator is not maintaining their game though.)

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

But the topic of this thread is what do OWNERS feel about it ... so out of bounds.

#210 7 years ago

I have serious concerns with this game...when the game DOES work, i see an wide open PF with 20 shots on it and the gameplay is BORING?!? How does this happen? Has Jersey Jack forgotten that this industry is driven by operators? Even as a home buyer, I would not consider buying this game.

The one I know of on route does very well, and works fine (except for the sound popping problem introduced on 1.90) so fail on that assumption.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The one I know of on route does very well, and works fine (except for the sound popping problem introduced on 1.90) so fail on that assumption.

Mine will be going on location March/April next year after I bring WOZ back. Hoping it does well, WOZ certainly has.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Mine will be going on location March/April next year after I bring WOZ back. Hoping it does well, WOZ certainly has.

It doesn't to as well as WoZ, but it does well. However, once it has complete code, it could be even better.

#213 7 years ago

Has Jersey Jack forgotten that this industry is driven by operators?

Mine is on location, and it is quite popular. Currently the #2 earner in a line-up of eight machines.

#214 7 years ago

True. I don't own this game. And after seeing it fail again and again at high traffic locations again and again... I would not ever want to own one. I'm glad you guys do and you love it, but I will wait and see how well the new title holds up to the wear and tear of the street.

... and I'm out!

#215 7 years ago

I think your criticism is fair. I have seen a couple on location broken but I've also come to expect most games on location do not work 100%. It's definitely an odd shot layout that I have not gotten fully used to yet. The modes are fun though so I think with more code work it can still turn into a really good game. I'm still enjoying it but not 100% sold on it yet.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I think your criticism is fair. I have seen a couple on location broken but I've also come to expect most games on location do not work 100%. It's definitely an odd shot layout that I have not gotten fully used to yet. The modes are fun though so I think with more code work it can still turn into a really good game. I'm still enjoying it but not 100% sold on it yet.

Can you be more specific on what you think the code needs? I think 1.9 seems extremely polished and extremely deep. Given that JJP has said that 1.9 is the final release (minus bug fixes) I'm not sure what it is that you think is still needed? What game has more?

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

Can you be more specific on what you think the code needs? I think 1.9 seems extremely polished and extremely deep. Given that JJP has said that 1.9 is the final release (minus bug fixes) I'm not sure what it is that you think is still needed? What game has more?

There are a few really easy things. The Beast frenzy multiball constantly starts if you start Smaug multiball and it makes it almost impossible to defeat smaug. That is a huge glaring one in my opinion. Prevent beast frenzy from starting once smaug is started. The game needs a lot more call outs, I'm constantly trying to read the screen to figure out what to do as the game does not tell me. Those 2 things alone would make the game a ton better. I never said anything about adding more modes. The game is not even remotely close to as polished as WOZ is.

#218 7 years ago

I killed Smaug today for the first time and reached BOFA for the first time (in fact I got all the way around to Into the Fire a second time). I'm loving the game thus far; it is a true cinematic experience if that's possible on a pin. Not perfect, not the best game ever by any means but fun to play and it really turned me around as my initial impressions were not too great.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

There are a few really easy things. The Beast frenzy multiball constantly starts if you start Smaug multiball and it makes it almost impossible to defeat smaug. That is a huge glaring one in my opinion. Prevent beast frenzy from starting once smaug is started. The game needs a lot more call outs, I'm constantly trying to read the screen to figure out what to do as the game does not tell me. Those 2 things alone would make the game a ton better. I never said anything about adding more modes. The game is not even remotely close to as polished as WOZ is.

I agree on callouts. I have changed my mind on best. I see it as part of the strategy now. I always try and start it first then start Smaug MB later on.

#220 7 years ago

My Black Arrow edition gets delivered tomorrow so I will report back in a few weeks - stoked!

#221 7 years ago

Here's Keefer doing a tap pass to the upper flipper (power=26). A true challenge if there ever was.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I agree on callouts. I have changed my mind on best. I see it as part of the strategy now. I always try and start it first then start Smaug MB later on.

I tend to do this as well. However, I'm not sure the reverse should be true (start Smaug multiball and then beast). But I do like starting Beast and then Smaug after.

I've also agreed a few more callouts would certainly help in the "what to do" area. But I'm not sure if it's really that glaringly less than WOZ or other games?

Quoted from MAJRob:

My Black Arrow edition gets delivered tomorrow so I will report back in a few weeks - stoked!

I was wondering if anyone was going to buy this new version! I wonder how the sales of it are doing.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

I was wondering if anyone was going to buy this new version! I wonder how the sales of it are doing.

I wondered what the appeal of the Black Arrow version is in general? The only sold out edition is Smaug. I don't understand the appeal of the Black Arrow over an LE... So I'm curious for new sales, say from Nov 1 forward, which are selling faster - the LE or the Black Arrow?

#224 7 years ago

I really enjoy it and am so glad I got in early. I kinda thought it was a high price at the time, but compared to the new offerings and crazy pricing I am really glad I got it. Pricing on the new games had chased me out of NIB pretty much forever, so this game was really a special one to finish of my collection.
I agree that it could use a few more callouts. There is so much going on it gets kinda crazy and you have no time to see the screen or book. I am unaware of any sound problems from 1.90. Mine seems to be fine. Maybe its in a mode I have not gotten to yet?

#225 7 years ago

Solid question there, Dan. I'd say since November 1 the BASE is outselling the LE but I don't know the actual numbers.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

The biggest thing that the Hobbit needs is a the final wizard mode. Or at least some end goal. I am not complaining about the arkenstone modes, because the first 2 are more detailed than most games ever dream of.
BUT!
I don't play for high scores, I just like playing for progression. I do like impossible pins. The Hobbit in its current state is still in a loop. Besides finishing 3 modes, doesn't matter if you finish the other modes, Smaug MB, What you do in beast frenzy, Arkenstone modes etc. You might get a big fat score but you are just in a loop.

LOTR without gifts from the Elves.
WOZ without collecting the 8 Crystals
TSPP without Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard mode

All 3 games wouldn't be in my collection without those modes, even though I've never gotten to them.
I know it will come in time - I am waiting patiently for that!

It is still an amazing amazing pin but I really only compare it to those 3 pins and not everything else. Keith has set the bar so high that he is only competing with himself.

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

I've also agreed a few more callouts would certainly help in the "what to do" area. But I'm not sure if it's really that glaringly less than WOZ or other games?

I think the difference is the sheer number of modes. Glancing at the LCD can be hard to figure out shots and when it shifts around you need to look more. I would particularly appreciate it when it shifts from things like bash the spider to get the drop targets.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

This is a perfect summary of what hobbit needs. Love it now but both those are extremely needed to make it amazing.

#229 7 years ago

Holy crap, I just defeated Smaug during Multiball! I didn't even know that was a thing you could do! Incredible sequence happens when you do it!!!! This game rules.

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Holy crap, I just defeated Smaug during Multiball! I didn't even know that was a thing you could do! Incredible sequence happens when you do it!!!! This game rules.

I too have done this one time. I thought i broke the pin.. LOL

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I too have done this one time. I thought i broke the pin.. LOL

I haven't yet

#232 7 years ago

Neither have I. I've also only been able to start Barrel Escape once and have never even qualified 5 Armies. Been to Into the Fire many, many times, but have yet to ever be able to finish it.

#233 7 years ago

I killed smaug last night for first time! I think i almost beat into the fire and got pretty far in barrel escape. Hit just under 3 million. Ive only had the game 1 week so im hoping they add the final wizard mode soon cause id assume im going to make it to battle 5 armys very soon. Otherwise game kicks major ass and is very immersive.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I killed smaug last night for first time! I think i almost beat into the fire and got pretty far in barrel escape. Hit just under 3 million. Ive only had the game 1 week so im hoping they add the final wizard mode soon cause id assume im going to make it to battle 5 armys very soon. Otherwise game kicks major ass and is very immersive.

#236 7 years ago

I owned mine for 6 months and sold it. It's not bad at all, but personally, I didn't find it fun enough to take up a spot in the gameroom and tie up that much cash.
I feel its kind of a multiball fest and can be a little boring. But I can understand how people could love the game. It just wasn't for ME.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I owned mine for 6 months and sold it. It's not bad at all, but personally, I didn't find it fun enough to take up a spot in the gameroom and tie up that much cash.
I feel its kind of a multiball fest and can be a little boring. But I can understand how people could love the game. It just wasn't for ME.

I think its a deep game and fun as hell.. Its not for everyone for sure. Just like GB is not for me.

#240 7 years ago

I still enjoy it and play it as much as if not more than anything in my collection.

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

The biggest thing that the Hobbit needs is a the final wizard mode. Or at least some end goal. I am not complaining about the arkenstone modes, because the first 2 are more detailed than most games ever dream of.
BUT!
I don't play for high scores, I just like playing for progression. I do like impossible pins. The Hobbit in its current state is still in a loop. Besides finishing 3 modes, doesn't matter if you finish the other modes, Smaug MB, What you do in beast frenzy, Arkenstone modes etc. You might get a big fat score but you are just in a loop.
LOTR without gifts from the Elves.
WOZ without collecting the 8 Crystals
TSPP without Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard mode
All 3 games wouldn't be in my collection without those modes, even though I've never gotten to them.
I know it will come in time - I am waiting patiently for that!
It is still an amazing amazing pin but I really only compare it to those 3 pins and not everything else. Keith has set the bar so high that he is only competing with himself.

Bang on!
Needs some sort of final mode or goal...which I'm sure Keith is aware of... right Keith???

#242 7 years ago

Is it just me or is the ramp diverter almost never used? Seems like a wasted feature of the play field. Turning it on for frenzy mode or during some of the wizard modes would be cool.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Is it just me or is the ramp diverter almost never used? Seems like a wasted feature of the play field. Turning it on for frenzy mode or during some of the wizard modes would be cool.

It is on during Barrel Escape...

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

It is on during Barrel Escape...

It's also on during one or two of the modes. I agree it's a cool thing that could be used more though.

4 years later
#245 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm sure it's coming, bring on the non owners opinions though as long as they have played it a lot and have an honest educated opinion.

I'm a non-owner. Played a well-used one at Silverball in Asbury Park and absolutely loved it. I like the playfield setup, the game make you feel part of the movie, the multiball with fire was really immersive. Overall, I enjoyed it so much, im looking to get a Black Arrow version.

#246 2 years ago

I know this was bumping a very old thread, but...

I've owned mine for a year or so now. I love it. I had woz and sold it as I felt this did the whole woz journey thing, but much better. Both have an upper flipper solely to kill the main antagonists with, but hobbit is harder to do and more satisfying. Shots are smooth and often times come back to the flipper as opposed to just sorta going away to nowhere land like woz. Way more shots in this game, which guess isn't saying much.

Now with all that said, I won't play it for weeks at a time as it is an epic lotr style gameplay. I certainly can't play it with others, as it can be boring for people to wait while I go on an epic adventure. When I DO play it I find myself playing for over an hour trying to get just a little further.

Great game I have to be in the mood to play, but when I do I think it is my favorite machine I have.

#247 2 years ago

5 years later and The Hobbit is one of my favorite pins. The pin has masterpiece level code, easily the deepest objective based pinball machine in my opinion. The number of objective based modes with high quality mode choreography (clips, animations, music, etc) is astounding. JJP did an incredible amount of code work in those final few updates, it's not even the same game it was on day 1. In terms of mode variety, modes with stages, and modes with great mode choreography I don't think another pin comes close (2nd would be LOTR in my opinion).

Just had a small family get together over the weekend and The Hobbit was the most played game. My cousins and I had put probably 30+ games on it over 6 hours lol.

#248 2 years ago

I echo other owners sentiments. This is a home game if I casually played this in an arcade it would seem hard to handle with its lack of callouts and arkenstone gameplay to get things rolling. At home it’s crazy deep and an honest challenge. The multiball is super easy to get going so my kids love it and the 3 ark modes are really fun. If anything I’d make the ark modes easier to start so average players can experience them. It’s where the game shines. That and killing Smaug.

#249 2 years ago

Same here, love mine. Might be the most immersive game I’ve ever played. Excellent theme integration. Plays long, but so what, it’s a lot of fun. I dont play it very often, but never tire of it.

2 years later
#250 4 months ago

I'm curious after reading the post within the thread. After TH has been out for a bit and no longer being made. Would you still pay 10K for it now used today for the LE?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hardware
Pinball Haven

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.