31%
  • To hell with limited numbers, Keep Making MM RE!! 15 votes
    42%
  • Nothing is better than the 1997 original 10 votes
    28%

(36 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 3 years ago

Medieval Madness is widely considered one of, if not THE best pinball game ever as far as content, game play and so on. So its no surprise many of us are a fan of Chicago Gaming for bringing back the game with the remake which gives everyone a shot at owning this terrific game. Even as I write this, I do not own a Chicago Gaming machine and I'm a fan of the company and what they're doing. Shoot, I hope to be an owner sooner than later. As the years go by, the remake gets upgrades and it seems to get better and better (sorry original MM die hard fans but you have to admit they did make it pop more with the remakes). So of course here I am like many others, saving and waiting for an opportunity to buy one...then they do it...they come out with the Royal Edition, in my opinion it looks stunning. The price tag is not cheap (you're in JJ range) and the production is limited...WHY? This is where I get confused. Seriously, what the hell? You have a massive following, many pinballers would love to have one and by the time you can scrape enough to get one, they're sold out or selling for more than nib because of the limited run. Did you forget the reason why the remake was done? Chicago Gaming produced the remake so more people can enjoy it, they make it better (larger color screen, awesome topper, just all around better) then they stop while demand is still high.

It gets better, you can buy all the upgrades so you can make a RE clone, for the same price as buying nib. I'm getting discouraged. If you're mission is to make enough so more people can enjoy it then keep making them...morons like me are willing shelling out $10k. Lets think about this, a used MM goes for about $8k, it probably has well over a thousand plays and who knows what kind of environment the machine was in. Suddenly a brand new MM RE for $10k doesn't sound bad at all. I cringe to write this because $10k is a lot of dough for me.

I have heard experienced long time pinballers say Stern has sold out and the quality is diving and prices are rising but from what I see Chicago Gaming has a strong following and their quality is great too; don't let us down. I don't come across $10k easily, I think most people would be willing to pay a little more for a QUALITY built machine that is also arguably the best pin ever made. I don't see why the game should cost $1500 more for a few upgraded parts when the assembly cost is the same but whatever, it is what it is, at this point I'm focused on the short supply.

Sell me MM Royal Edition, take my money...what ever you do, don't lose sight on why you started building the remakes to begin with: make more while there's still a demand and improve upon the design (appearance) while leaving the game play alone.

Maybe I'm crazy...maybe I'm alone in this but I would like to hear from other pinball enthusiasts, novice to experienced, am I alone? Are you saying WTH too?

#medieval-madness-remake-le Medieval Madness (Remake - Standard) Medieval Madness

#2 3 years ago

Color-changing GI makes it look like a royal turd, and harder to play. Buy a vanilla remake or an original and thank CGC again, this time for saving both your wallet and your retinas.

#3 3 years ago

At the end of the day, supply and demand rule all. I wish pinball companies would give them out pro bono, but they have to make money too. As long as people keeping buying, I'm sure they will keep making them. I would love to see a TZ or TAF come out though...

#4 3 years ago

$2000+ upcharge for the privilege of color-bombing the beautiful aesthetics into oblivion and making the game harder to play? Sign me up!

Really, in games like MM (great art, color palette inherently optimized for incandescent lighting) this is analogous to illuminating a Monet painting with a string of X-mas lights!

The sweet spot for the remakes is a “classic” edition + color DMD upgrade, and for the money is a screaming good deal in NIB pinball (assuming you had not already played the games to death in the 90s).

HOWEVER, CGC is a good company consisting of good people that a buyer can feel good about supporting, and if selling these 5-figure “royal” editions is facilitating their ability to offer the “classic” games at the reasonable asking prices of AFMr and MBr then it’s hard to fault them.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Ivanhoe:

Chicago Gaming produced the remake so more people can enjoy it

They produced the remake so they can make money! So the question here should be "why not make more and make more money"! Maybe CGC had leftover parts and enough to do X number of machines. Maybe they did a small run as they had a break in their production schedule and making these filled that break. All people can do is speculate as the only one that truly knows is CGC and they're, more than likely, not going to advise!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

$2000+ upcharge for the privilege of color-bombing the beautiful aesthetics into oblivion and making the game harder to play? Sign me up!
Really, in games like MM (great art, color palette inherently optimized for incandescent lighting) this is analogous to illuminating a Monet painting with a string of X-mas lights!
The sweet spot for the remakes is a “classic” edition + color DMD upgrade, and for the money is a screaming good deal in NIB pinball (assuming you had not already played the games to death in the 90s).
HOWEVER, CGC is a good company consisting of good people that a buyer can feel good about supporting, and if selling these 5-figure “royal” editions is facilitating their ability to offer the “classic” games at the reasonable asking prices of AFMr and MBr then it’s hard to fault them.

I agree Classic plus color chip upgrade. However, the sound on the classic MMR is weak. The sweet spot to me would be classic edition plus color chip plus sound upgrade.

#7 3 years ago

I am yet to play a remake that plays anywhere even remotely as good as an original.

If you want a bunch of .02 lights that make your game feel special, then that is your perogative and you are part of the bling collector market. That portion of the market is built on rarity and flashy lights to excess. That portion of the market also has a built in price upsell.

If you want the best playing version, then go find a nice original for less money and be thankful the remakes helped to distract those that want the bling from the real prize.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Ivanhoe:

sorry original MM die hard fans but you have to admit they did make it pop more with the remakes)

Oh Do I? hmmm, My Original pops just fine thank you. Don't need a big DMD. My game sounds better than a remake. The remake topper is cute, but $10k worth of cute? No thanks. I am just fine with my Laserific. I do appreciate CGC for the MMr! Had they not remade the game, I would not have been able to afford an original. I tip my hat you guys...

#9 3 years ago

As long as there is a market and people think that they are getting something "special"... or "limited", why shouldn't be this way? From a business point of view its a no brainer... a little extra powder coat... some colored LEDs ... "upgraded" speakers, LCD display ... probably turns out to be like a 70% gross margin on the upgrade... BAM $$$. Granted there is some design investment to recover... but its done to make "gravy" bucks... plain and simple.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

As long as there is a market and people think that they are getting something "special"... or "limited". Why shouldn't be this way? From a business point of view its a no brainer... a little extra powder coat... some colored LEDs ... "upgraded" speakers, LCD display ... probably turns out to be like a 70% gross margin on the upgrade... BAM $$$. Granted there is some design investment to recover.

Yep there is money in reinventing the wheel and painting it a different color!

#11 3 years ago

Oh I don’t fault them for the price, I understand it actually. Like I said, a used one goes for about $8k so a NEW, never used upgraded version for $10k (with a good build quality) is something I feel is worth it. But CG has a mission to bring it back to the masses, I think it’s silly to tease us with a great machine and only make a few. They should make a 1000+...they’ll sell. If buyers want to retain value as a collectors item then buy it and don’t play it.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Ivanhoe:

Oh I don’t fault them for the price, I understand it actually. Like I said, a used one goes for about $8k so a NEW, never used upgraded version for $10k (with a good build quality) is something I feel is worth it. But CG has a mission to bring it back to the masses, I think it’s silly to tease us with a great machine and only make a few. They should make a 1000+...they’ll sell. If buyers want to retain value as a collectors item then buy it and don’t play it.

Something tells me they have a good idea of the demand.... keeping it conservative gives them opportunities to revisit production in the future without the risk of saturating the market and holding onto unwanted inventory. Pinball is a hobby and a luxury item... and the market has tanked before, everything is cyclic so keeping it lean is just them being responsible. Personally I'd love to see more variety and less models of the same type... but that's just me.

#13 3 years ago

I can’t believe it. Someone selling a used royal edition for $15k....

#14 3 years ago

Main thing is CGC didn't leave the original MMR owners left out. Once the big display on AFMR and MBR. People wanted it for their MMR. Sooner or later they'd do it for MMR.

And the sooner is almost here. A couple hundred Royals to show it off.

LTG : )

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Main thing is CGC didn't leave the original MMR owners left out. Once the big display on AFMR and MBR. People wanted it for their MMR. Sooner or later they'd do it for MMR.
And the sooner is almost here. A couple hundred Royals to show it off.
LTG : )

And their next game release will be here later. But I wish it was sooner rather than later! Oh well. I guess I will just keep waiting because that is now! Not sooner or later.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

And their next game release will be here later. But I wish it was sooner rather than later! Oh well. I guess I will just keep waiting because that is now! Not sooner or later.

#17 3 years ago

Perfect! What a great movie. I needed that laugh.

Now that’s a pin someone should make! Space balls the pinball.

1 year later
#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Ivanhoe:

If anyone has an original MM they want to sell for $8000 I will buy it from you right this instant. Didn't think so...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 29.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thanks-you-chicago-gaming-butwth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.