(Topic ID: 234238)

Technique for removing Trifurcon pins from connector?

By robertmee

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mbecker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trifurcon-release (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

So, if I understand correctly, looking at one side of the connector, I see silver area for each pin location. I tried pressing with a small screwdriver on the end closest to where the pin would come out of the connector (away from the end with the pin holes). Didn't seem to want to budge. Maybe not pressing hard enough, but didn't feel like putting the screwdriver through my hand holding the connector.

It shouldn't take all that much pressure. You want to (EDIT: First push the wire you want to release INWARD to loosen the burr that holds it in place then...) press in with a tiny screwdriver on any of the points the green arrows are pointing to, as you at the same time pull gently and continuously on the corresponding wires pointed out with the red arrows.

Lay it flat on a table and it should be easier to press on it while pulling.

trifurcon-release (resized).jpgtrifurcon-release (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Mr VIreland has it mostly covered but also Chedder is correct.
    To put this differently -- push *in* with the wire in the opposite direction of the red arrows in post #4. This will prevent edge of the tang from getting hung up on the housing. Then push the tang in with a screwdriver (green arrows shown in post #4). With the tang pushed in - then pull the wire out in the direction of the red arrows.
    Sometimes if you push the tang in without pushing the wire in first - the tang will snag on the housing and bend so that it buggers the contact when pulling.
    Push in wire, push in tang, pull out wire.

Ah, yes. The ol' push push. Yes, recommend this as the perfect fool-proof method. Edited my post to reflect this addition.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Thanks everyone!! Starting to get the hang of it....the picture really helped, so thank you for that. The biggest difficulty is working in the back box and not having a flat surface to push on. I'm holding the connector with one hand while trying to push/pull the wire with the same hand and using the other hand to push down on the tang.

You can leave it installed to "hold" it for you. It'll be harder to pull out, but sounds easier that what you're doing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/technique-for-removing-trifurcon-pins-from-connector?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.