Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243158951_836639187055880_1111407005989233472_n (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    a7a07a5879a72dc8749ba777f7db4e9eecf5832c (resized).jpg
    6926E45F-8E59-4554-B39E-55EA9EBFF5CA (resized).jpeg
    FB55DE01-DBD2-475D-91C4-F015F7B814FA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 2 years ago

The way I see it, we printed 9 trillion USD back in 2020 (or 22% of all our currency in one year) hence diluting the value of the US dollar, Stern apparently is operating at full capacity and there are part shortages. So...what would you expect them to do? I'd honestly be completely shocked if they didn't raise prices. After 2020 our dollar simply doesn't buy as much anymore, it is what it is.

#133 2 years ago

edited

Quoted from usandthem:

Stern BTTF FOMO will be like you've never seen it before. Everyone (including myself) and their grandmother will want it. I've been in the hobby 12 years, and it will most likely be my first NIB (if I can get one).

That's the problem with themes one really loves, it makes one crack open the wallet just that extra bit more to make the stretch. I won't lie, if they do make BTTF I will probably pay their price. Having said that I'm lucky in that I have a few local places to play all the new pins (thanks AYCE Gogi!) so I can skip most pins and be just fine.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

If political discussions here are taboo, why does one get a thread eject and not the other?

First because I didn't bring up politics, I was replying to the absurdly generic/incorrect comment someone else made. Second, because the printing of all that currency in 2020 *is* directly related to this thread. Example:

- When Medieval Madness was reissued and there were then many more in circulation, the existing units naturally went down in value.

- If a publicly traded company issues 24% more shares, it's stock price will get hammered and the value of an individual stock goes down.

- If you print 24% more currency, the existing currency gets devalued.

That event in 2020 is directly related to this thread. It was never a question of if prices would go up but instead by how much. Basically people are now trying to determine if we will get inflation or hyper inflation. To make a foodgument, if you were regularly trading 10 beers with me for a pizza and the value of beer went down 24%, would I still take your 10 beers? No, I'd want 12 or 13 because your beer is now less valuable. All these points are related in that the dollar was devalued in 2020 and now pinball costs more.

There's also the more complex side arguments of how that 2020 printing of currency has caused people with money to park it in other places like property, stocks, items of value, etc. That's way to much to get into here but that also affects pinball pricing. It's easy to say "Stern evil", "Boo Stern", "Stern is poopoo caca" but Stern does not take doubloons, Atari cartridges or lampshades for their pinball machines, they take $USD. And when the $USD got devalued in 2020, well, what do you expect to happen to pinball pricing?

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

The problem is.... ROI is going be tough to realize. Lot of operators are already running on
    razor thin margins in some marketplaces.

I presume the concept of what an operator is will have to evolve. In the old days it was someone that bought a game, vended it, moved it along when it didn't earn anymore, rinse and repeat. Nowadays I assume the people operating will be pinball fanatics that will buy a game, put it on location so it earns some money, depreciate it over a period of time that makes the IRS happy, then they keep the game after that effectively getting a game they want at a huge discount. One they tire of it they can sell it for more than they have in it as the cost was offset by earnings, depreciation and tax deductions, rinse and repeat.

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

I have a pretty good PC Engine/TG16 library and lots of hardware. Same for Sega Saturn.
    Sometimes its tempting to sell, but I know I would miss it, even if I dont use it.

I sold my large collection of games a few years ago and never looked back, the money was just too ridiculous. I only kept the consoles themselves which are fairly cheap anyways, and each one has some form of flash cart setup to play games from sd card. Yeah it's a leap to sell them but honestly after a while it's just no big deal. Playing games of sd card is actually better anyways especially with cd based games as no worries about read errors and games load quicker.

PXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpgPXL_20210827_183312406 (resized).jpg
    #260 2 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Nice collection! why is your SNES turned sideways? The front sticks off the shelf too far?

Yup, it doesn't fit otherwise.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-price-increases-may-be-pushing-me-out-of-this-hobby?tu=reality_studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.