Screenshot_20231231_160443_Messages.jpg
20231223_121931.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20231022_105840.jpg
ADA58D18-4753-4A4F-BDBC-089ED204AD7E (resized).jpeg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

About to join the club in the next few weeks.
It's only fitting a former skydiver gets a skydiving pin. I'm looking forward to the game play and skydiving induced flashbacks it should give me.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Skyjump has landed!

20231002_124334.jpg20231002_124334.jpg20231002_124648.jpg20231002_124648.jpg
2 weeks later
#52 6 months ago

So close to rolling it!

20231021_124842.jpg20231021_124842.jpg
#53 6 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

So close to rolling it![quoted image]

106k and change here. Rolled it once. its def a hard game to roll when setup correctly but man is it fun when you get into a groove.

#54 6 months ago

Beautiful original playfield but I hate this shit. Zero points tonight! Cupped inserts.
ADA58D18-4753-4A4F-BDBC-089ED204AD7E (resized).jpegADA58D18-4753-4A4F-BDBC-089ED204AD7E (resized).jpeg

#55 6 months ago

I have to work on my inserts too.

#56 6 months ago
Quoted from tscottn:

106k and change here. Rolled it once. its def a hard game to roll when setup correctly but man is it fun when you get into a groove.

I'm thinking of putting it on blocks.

#57 6 months ago

Just rolled it. (151k)

I'll definitely be putting it on blocks now. Such a fun and frustrating game.

20231022_105840.jpg20231022_105840.jpg

#59 6 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Beautiful original playfield but I hate this shit. Zero points tonight! Cupped inserts.
[quoted image]

I had similar issues with the one I had, and it was especially annoying across the drop of the drops. Decided to get it clear coated to level things out.

I started from something like this: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Partway through clearing: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Done: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Didn't touch up all the wear or anything other than repainting the white under the plastics, so it still fits the beat up cabinet etc, and sure, no longer original, but it plays right now.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Somehow I don't think I ever linked to the thread I had about fixing this up... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sky-jump

2 months later
#60 4 months ago

Made a topper for my sky jump. It hangs from the ceiling with fishing wire. (Skydiving GI Joe I found for 20$ NIB)

Not sure if it's still a topper if it doesnt touch the top of the head?

Maybe a new term is required......Floater?

20231223_121931.jpg20231223_121931.jpg
#61 4 months ago

^ Ha that is great! Nice looking game too!

#62 3 months ago

Got a question...

The EOS switch for the flippers has a piece of light black cardboard in between the switch blades.

Would you ever remove the cardboard from them?

#63 3 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Got a question...
The EOS switch for the flippers has a piece of light black cardboard in between the switch blades.
Would you ever remove the cardboard from them?

This I believe is called the dampening blade. Here's the write up from Clay's site.
Damping (Pre-Tensioner) Switch Blade.
On playfield switches, there is a third, shorter switch blade sandwiched between the two contact blades. This damping or pre-tensioner blade provides support to one of the contact blade, so the switch doesn't "bounce", and so more spring tension is provided. But sometimes these damping blades get bent and short out to the other adjacent blade. Be aware of this. When you adjust a switch with a damping blade, you must adjust both the short contact blade and the damping blade together.

#64 3 months ago
Quoted from poppapin:

This I believe is called the dampening blade. Here's the write up from Clay's site.
Damping (Pre-Tensioner) Switch Blade.
On playfield switches, there is a third, shorter switch blade sandwiched between the two contact blades. This damping or pre-tensioner blade provides support to one of the contact blade, so the switch doesn't "bounce", and so more spring tension is provided. But sometimes these damping blades get bent and short out to the other adjacent blade. Be aware of this. When you adjust a switch with a damping blade, you must adjust both the short contact blade and the damping blade together.

Thanks for that. I'm placing a parts order and the only thing I have left to sort out is the bolt/screw part # for the flipper arm cranks.

I'm not sure if these bolts are factory or not. But they don't stay on at all. They just come loose over and over and lose grip on the flipper shafts. Pretty frustrating.

Im wondering what other owners have in their flipper arm cranks. Maybe Allen screws?

Screenshot_20231231_160443_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20231231_160443_Messages.jpg

#65 3 months ago

I can check, but I know you have to tighten really really hard.

#66 3 months ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I can check, but I know you have to tighten really really hard.

Much appreciated @poppapin!

I noticed the right flipper arm crank on Marcos website has different ones than I do.

Happy New Year!!

Screenshot_20231231_165704_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20231231_165704_Photos.jpg

#67 3 months ago

I believe those are factory, I like them cause I can use my torque wrench on them, however, factory usage is inconsistent.

I read on a tag under a playfield to torque to75 ft#, tried it on that machine and sheared the bolt. (That crank will be a future problem for me. )

Whatever you use, make sure they are grade 8.

#68 3 months ago

Joined the Club "last year", 12/15 and glad to see this forum is still active. Read through all prior posts. Like many Sky Jump games, my back glass has plenty of red paint loss. Already have ordered a BGResto replacement. In between the holidays I've been able to work through several issues but still have 3 to resolve:
1) the "ball count" unit misbehaving. Photo's previously posted helped to definitively see that an wire bridge to the last two contacts was custom (5 ball play ended after the 4th ball, with ball 5 and game over illuminating). The bridge can be seen if zooming in on the photo - now all I need to do is solve the original problem.
2) the 10's drum advances once again after rebuild. Still have to get it to reset to zero
3) free game solenoid is capable but doesn't get power when free game awarded as score achieves milestone

The last two should be easy, fun - the ball counter is a bit weird. This is always the best part of making a new old game your own in your collection, as long of course as it doesn't beat me.

Sky Jump BB light 2023.12.31 (resized).jpgSky Jump BB light 2023.12.31 (resized).jpgSky Jump BackGlass lit 2023.12.29 (resized).jpgSky Jump BackGlass lit 2023.12.29 (resized).jpg
#69 3 months ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

work through several issues but still have 3 to resolve:
1) the "ball count" unit misbehaving. Photo's previously posted helped to definitively see that an wire bridge to the last two contacts was custom (5 ball play ended after the 4th ball, with ball 5 and game over illuminating). The bridge can be seen if zooming in on the photo - now all I need to do is solve the original problem.
2) the 10's drum advances once again after rebuild. Still have to get it to reset to zero
3) free game solenoid is capable but doesn't get power when free game awarded as score achieves milestone
The last two should be easy, fun - the ball counter is a bit weird. This is always the best part of making a new old game your own in your collection, as long of course as it doesn't beat me.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Got lost working on Sky Jump yesterday and fixed all outstanding issues: Ball Count Stepper fix was easier than 1st thought: Removed wire bridge and then found the "end-of-advance" leaf switch (left most sw on stepper cluster) had been over adjusted, preventing stepper from ever getting to the last station.

Had to replace a contact on the 10's drum unit and then mimic all switch gaps against the 1,000's drum to ensure proper settings. Last and least, traced the GRN-BLK wire from the knocker to the offending magnetic coil and regapped leaf sw.

This proved to be one sure way to achieve my 1st dry day in January... after this last holiday season I hadn't expected to become my avatar

#70 3 months ago

I ended up getting the scoring reel fixed. It wasn't turning over properly. I think that's why I was rolling it so easily.

Flipper issue is resolved as well. (So no need for a pic poppapin , thanks)

Everything was working nicely. Until the #4 drop target broke. Waiting for a replacement set of drop targets now. Just gonna swap them all out.

1 week later
#71 3 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I ended up getting the scoring reel fixed. It wasn't turning over properly. I think that's why I was rolling it so easily.
Flipper issue is resolved as well. (So no need for a pic poppapin , thanks)
Everything was working nicely. Until the #4 drop target broke. Waiting for a replacement set of drop targets now. Just gonna swap them all out.

Some fresh new drop targets!!

20240113_135742~2.jpg20240113_135742~2.jpg20240113_141848.jpg20240113_141848.jpg
#72 3 months ago

Finally got mine all cleaned up, touched up, and back in action. Made a couple small changes to the normal look, but I dig it.

IMG_3835 (resized).jpegIMG_3835 (resized).jpegIMG_3962 (resized).jpegIMG_3962 (resized).jpegIMG_3993 (resized).jpegIMG_3993 (resized).jpeg
#73 3 months ago

I have a players quality SJ but would love to find a collector quality (preferably HEP restored) example. Did Chris ever resto a SJ I wonder?

My neighbor had a SJ in his kitchen back in the late 1970's. He would go away often and ask me to watch his dogs. My 12 year old self gladly said YES because I knew I could play as much SJ as I wanted. My friends and I played that game a lot. That cool neighbor and that game is what got me started loving pinball at an early age. Now, I have 36 working pins from 1974 to 2023.

He is still alive and he still owns that SJ! I told him I'd love to buy itif he ever decides to part with it.

#74 3 months ago

Are the pop bumper lights supposed to turn off and on during game play?

Thanks!

#75 3 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Thanks!

From my memory I believe they briefly go out during ball count change. I'm away from my collection till February so if there isn't a definitive reply by then I'll confirm.

#76 3 months ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

From my memory I believe they briefly go out during ball count change. I'm away from my collection till February so if there isn't a definitive reply by then I'll confirm.

Thanks. I noticed it during a ball change, a target bank reset and something else as well.

#77 3 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Thanks!

Yes, they turn off when the score motor is turning, at which times the game is “busy” and doesn’t register other events. That’s why the pop bumper caps say “100 POINTS WHEN LIT”. They can’t score points when they are dark.

#78 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Yes, they turn off when the score motor is turning, at which times the game is “busy” and doesn’t register other events. That’s why the pop bumper caps say “100 POINTS WHEN LIT”. They can’t score points when they are dark.

Correct. Primarily this is during scoring 5x anything (eg the drops) as the motor needs to run for that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-jump-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.