Screenshot_20231231_160443_Messages.jpg
20231223_121931.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20231022_105840.jpg
ADA58D18-4753-4A4F-BDBC-089ED204AD7E (resized).jpeg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

One of the best EMs I've ever played surely deserves its own club?

I also wanted somewhere to post little bits and bobs that don't really need their own thread.

For instance, I noticed an inconsistency in the manual on page 8.

The list has 18 A and 4 B: Screenshot from 2017-12-19 09-20-09 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2017-12-19 09-20-09 (resized).png
The diagram has 20 A rubbers and 3 B. PBR's kit includes enough to do both. I think the difference is the top left 1" guide. If you use 2 A rubbers as the diagram indicates I'm pretty sure the ball can smash the bulb: Screenshot from 2017-12-19 09-17-35 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2017-12-19 09-17-35 (resized).png
The other 1" guide further down uses a single B rubber: Screenshot from 2017-12-19 09-19-34 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2017-12-19 09-19-34 (resized).png
I think the single 1" rubber is the better idea and the pictures I can find on IPDB agree:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2195&picno=39380
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2195&picno=55861

2 months later
#2 6 years ago

I just acquired a Sky Jump and agree, it’s a great single player wedge head. You can strive for a high score or specials but you have to be dialed in to get both. A great nudging game, so I have the tilt a little loose to have fun.

#3 6 years ago

Love that shot from the left flipper, off of the number 7 Drop Target, ball continues up, past the Pop Bumpers, through the top Roll Over number 6.

#4 6 years ago

This is the set up on my Sky Jump.
DSCN0821 (resized).JPGDSCN0821 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Love that shot from the left flipper, off of the number 7 Drop Target, ball continues up, past the Pop Bumpers, through the top Roll Over number 6.

Agreed. A few times I’ve had it clip the 7 target, up the 6, down the 4, then drop down left for the 1 or 2 or 3...sweet.

#6 6 years ago

I accidentally sold my Sky Jump and still miss it.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I accidentally sold my Sky Jump and still miss it.

Hang on, accidentally? There's got to be a good story here.

Quoted from Darcy:

Only matched by the frustration when you think you've nail it and it rattles between the posts on the 6 lane.

#8 6 years ago

I have a question. My Sky Jump only clicks when the tens reel scores, no chime. It’s supposed to chime, right?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I have a question. My Sky Jump only clicks when the tens reel scores, no chime. It’s supposed to chime, right?

If you haven't serviced you chime unit, the plunger is likely gummed up from the foam used as a cushion from the factory (and stuck in the coil sleeve). Disassemble and clean plunger with alcohol, and install a new coil sleeve. I use door silencers for the padding when replacing.

(And in case you're a newb, the tens-unit is the smallest chime of the three.)

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

If you haven't serviced you chime unit, it the plunger is likely gummed up from the foam used as a cushion from the factory (and stuck in the coil sleeve). Disassemble and clean plunger with alcohol, and install a new coil sleeve. I use door silencers for the padding when replacing.

Thanks, I will check the chime coils and assemblies once my wife is done playing it!

#11 6 years ago

I sold my SJ the same way I sell most of my games: I don't have them advertised and am not intending to sell them. However, someone sends me a pm and says 'I'm interested in your game' and then they offer a reasonable price. Very often, I think about it overnight and then accept the offer. In the case of Sky Jump, I took it to expo (not for sale) and someone came along and offered a couple of hundred more than I thought it was worth. So I thought about it overnight and sold it to that person. Now I miss it because of fond memories I have playing it in college. Even now, I would say that about half of the games in my collection are vulnerable.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

If you haven't serviced you chime unit, the plunger is likely gummed up from the foam used as a cushion from the factory (and stuck in the coil sleeve). Disassemble and clean plunger with alcohol, and install a new coil sleeve. I use door silencers for the padding when replacing.
(And in case you're a newb, the tens-unit is the smallest chime of the three.)

Really? The longest bar makes the lowest note so I always wire the thousands to the shortest, highest bar, the hundreds in the middle and the tens on the longest, lowest note.

Ting ting ting for thousands and tong tong tong for hundreds and tonk tonk tonk for tens.

Quoted from Eightball88:

Yes, it should chime. To test I'd swap the coloured wires on the chime coils. If it starts chiming fine, the chime unit is the issue. If it continues to not work on a chime position that did before, it's something else in the wiring.

#13 6 years ago

Hoping to join the club soon. This machine is a lot of fun.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Really? The longest bar makes the lowest note so I always wire the thousands to the shortest, highest bar, the hundreds in the middle and the tens on the longest, lowest note.

Maybe it's different Down Under. You know, kind of like the way the water in your drains swirls in the opposite direction.

#15 6 years ago

I agree Sky Jump is a great EM! My first one was in horrible shape, looking like it had been stored outside without the glass ☹️ But, it was still fun! My 2nd one, which I scored a few weeks ago is about as minty as I could ask for! HUO since 1979 and very well taken care of! Definitely a keeper!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Maybe it's different Down Under. You know, kind of like the way the water in your drains swirls in the opposite direction.

It's funny, it's one of those things I'd never really considered could be done differently. I made a poll: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-wire-your-chime-unit

#17 6 years ago

Update. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciated it. When I had a closer look at the chime unit I noticed the lead to the longest (ie lowest pitch) chime was disconnected...voila! Problem solved.

It’s interesting that the three leads have connectors and not soldered. That gives me the option of switching the chimes around for 10, 100 and 1000 points. I guess I am a traditionalist since I chose low middle high respectively. I like my chimes... they ring loud and true!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Update. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciated it. When I had a closer look at the chime unit I noticed the lead to the longest (ie lowest pitch) chime was disconnected...voila! Problem solved.
It’s interesting that the three leads have connectors and not soldered. That gives me the option of switching the chimes around for 10, 100 and 1000 points. I guess I am a traditionalist since I chose low middle high respectively. I like my chimes... they ring loud and true!

Also gives the options of pulling the ground for a quieter play.

#19 6 years ago

I love my Sky Jump Machine, and consider it one of the funnest EMs I have played.

I have a slight problem that maybe someone can provide advice? Every once in awhile, knocking down the 7th drop target results in the scoring going well over 5000 points; Which set of switches should I be looking at to clean and/or adjust? Thanks for your replies!

#20 6 years ago

Does this happen only when you have all seven numbers lit?

#21 6 years ago

No, it happens when I hit the last drop. Sometimes, the scoring wheels keep going until I hit another scoring target. I trapped the ball the last time it occurred and ran the score up to 98,000 before flipping the ball......my wife was amazed when I showed her the new high score, but I fessed up.....lol

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

No, it happens when I hit the last drop. Sometimes, the scoring wheels keep going until I hit another scoring target. I trapped the ball the last time it occurred and ran the score up to 98,000 before flipping the ball......my wife was amazed when I showed her the new high score, but I fessed up.....lol

What happens when you tap the score 5000 relay?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

I love my Sky Jump Machine, and consider it one of the funnest EMs I have played.
I have a slight problem that maybe someone can provide advice? Every once in awhile, knocking down the 7th drop target results in the scoring going well over 5000 points; Which set of switches should I be looking at to clean and/or adjust? Thanks for your replies!

I think mine sometimes over scores on the last drop target too but I need to watch someone else play to be sure. I think what happens is that the last target scores the 5000 pts then the bank resets twice (sometimes) thereby scoring an extra 5000. I’m pretty sure that DIDNT happen on the game where I rolled it (that’s my story and I’m sticking with it )

Sorry, I am a bit of a noob so I can only commiserate with you at this point. My guess is I have a switch or relay that needs adjustment.

10 months later
#24 5 years ago

Is anyone looking to upgrade their Sky Jump? I have a beautifully restored example for plus a Wade Krauss repro play field ( this game doesn’t need it).

#25 5 years ago

Maybe the machine, don’t need the Wade Krause playfield.

1 week later
#26 5 years ago

I could be interested in the playfield if Electrocute gets the game only

1 month later
#27 5 years ago

I posted this in the resto section but thought i might get some better direction from SK owners since it has to do with my Sky Jump directly..

Hey Guys,
Most of the tech work has been done on my new Sky Jump. Its playing real nice.. Its just about time to order my Molotow paint. Im torn on what color of white I should choose for the entire base of the cab and backbox. I am leaning towards Nature White (Tan) #5 but I am wondering if Signal White #231 might be a better choice? The base will also get a speckle ( fine splatter ) effect as well.. In addition I am leaning towards Signal Red #33 and Shock Blue #94 for the stencils.. So Im wondering if someone with experience using Molotow on a cab could give me some direction. Thanks..
here is the Link to the Molotow Color Chart.
https://shop.bombingscience.com/molotow-premium-400ml.html

Also if anyone has any good tips on caps and such that would help but right now im leaning towards ordering a bunch of fat caps.. including the Ghetto Blaster.. and i am also planning on laying down a primer.. im going to use Kilz original as recommended on this forum by the majority.
Thanks again.

4 weeks later
#28 5 years ago

Hey fellow Sky Jump owners and players. Does your Sky Jump have a higher rate of the ball bouncing back from the lower apron, and back to the playfield? More than other Gottliebs you play? Have you noticed this? Or could this just be my game?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hey fellow Sky Jump owners and players. Does your Sky Jump have a higher rate of the ball bouncing back from the lower apron, and back to the playfield? More than other Gottliebs you play? Have you noticed this? Or could this just be my game?

was only thinking the same thing playing mine over the weekend.

#30 5 years ago

The ball rolling down from the upper right pop bumper or upper right stand up targets, will roll down through the flippers, and bounce right back up, almost on to the right flipper. This does happen on other Gottliebs, just not as often. Any one else have any comments. I'm not to concerned on fixing the problem, but a thin layer of foam, attached to the apron might stop this from happing.

#31 5 years ago

Happens to me quite frequently too. Just part of Sky Jump’s charm. Can’t beat the old Lazarus ball.

3 weeks later
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Is anyone looking to upgrade their Sky Jump? I have a beautifully restored example for plus a Wade Krauss repro play field ( this game doesn’t need it).

I’m interested in upgrading my Sky Jump. Did you already part with yours?

3 weeks later
#33 4 years ago

would anyone who has replaced their playfield know how many and of what type light sockets need to be purchased? Im am about to do a playfield swap and I am thinking I will need at least 20x 1 1/8 and 10x 1/2 sockets as well as a few lay down sockets for the top rollovers.. im not seeing any 3/4 brackets or at least I dont see any,. Could anyone confirm ? Thanks

#34 4 years ago

Anyone have any pointers on a sky jump that is playing 4 or 5 balls instead of the 3 it is set at? I have completely taken apart and cleaned the ball count stepper unit (it was frozen solid when I got the machine).

1 year later
#35 3 years ago

The underside of my playfield is signed in pencil by “Ed K” and I assume that it designer Ed Krynski. Is this normal? Anyone else have this?

B65DF4BF-455A-4DFA-969F-F70EE0C8B6F4 (resized).jpegB65DF4BF-455A-4DFA-969F-F70EE0C8B6F4 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#36 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

The underside of my playfield is signed in pencil by “Ed K” and I assume that it designer Ed Krynski. Is this normal? Anyone else have this?
[quoted image]

I've joined the Sky Jump club! And I can confirm mine has the signature just like yours as well.

20200725_220618.jpg20200725_220618.jpg20200725_221301.jpg20200725_221301.jpg
#37 3 years ago

Hmm, I'll have to check my playfield.

#38 3 years ago

I joined the club a little while back. I really like this game and think it is a sleeper when it comes to wedge heads. The playfield layout and rule set are really what I consider to be some of Ed's finest work. I love the fact that the game rewards you for hitting all the 1-7 shots by multiplying the drop target points. I also love the 5000 bonus for completing all of the drops. So this game rewards for both accuracy and having a good old drop target romp. I consider this game to be every bit as good as Volley and better than C37; both of which I have owned for years before getting Sky Jump.

In a way I am almost relieved that my playfield does not have the Ed K signature on the bottom. The playfield is pretty trashed with a lot of wear to the wood and cupped inserts. I managed to get what is possibly the last Wade Krause playfield recently along with my new C37 field that was just released earlier this month.
20200716_162912 (resized).jpg20200716_162912 (resized).jpg

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I joined the club a little while back. I really like this game and think it is a sleeper when it comes to wedge heads. The playfield layout and rule set are really what I consider to be some of Ed's finest work. I love the fact that the game rewards you for hitting all the 1-7 shots by multiplying the drop target points. I also love the 5000 bonus for completing all of the drops. So this game rewards for both accuracy and having a good old drop target romp. I consider this game to be every bit as good as Volley and better than C37; both of which I have owned for years before getting Sky Jump.
In a way I am almost relieved that my playfield does not have the Ed K signature on the bottom. The playfield is pretty trashed with a lot of wear to the wood and cupped inserts. I managed to get what is possibly the last Wade Krause playfield recently along with my new C37 field that was just released earlier this month.
[quoted image]

Now he just needs to do Volley. Repro backglass would also be nice.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

[quoted image]

Yup, the risk reward in punting the centre bumper to move the 10x to drops you still have standing vs just hitting what you've got and getting the bank to reset...

It's a firm favourite on Friday night's with mates, who all yell at each other once someone manages to get "The Red Star of Don't Panic" lit aand laugh mightily at the inevitable instadrain... and cheer when someone does manage a nice quick couple of knocks.

#41 3 years ago

Curiosity got me! My Sky Jump doesn't have any signatures under the playfield. But that search, got me to play around 10 games, something that I have not done in a few months.

1 week later
#42 3 years ago

Anyone have extra used sling shot plastics?

2 weeks later
#43 3 years ago

Just an FYI for the behavior of the Multiplier Control Unit stepper...

When the 10x insert is lit at #7, every other cycle it will require 2 pop bumper advances to wrap around to light at #1.

This is because the stepper has 30 total positions/rivets that manage 4 cycles of 1-to-7 advancements. 4 cycles of 7 positions is 28 positions, leaving two “extra” positions/rivets on the stepper. Each extra rivet is wired to the preceding 7 rivet. Like so:

1234567 12345677 1234567 12345677...

I was questioning my stepper’s cleanliness/functioning until I took a closer at its design and wiring.

I wish I had a picture of the other side of the stepper wiring but all I have is this side:
A7E81429-E7C4-4BAF-B1BA-46543DD33BBE (resized).jpegA7E81429-E7C4-4BAF-B1BA-46543DD33BBE (resized).jpeg

Technically the rivets are referred to as “0 pos” to “6 pos” on the schematic, but I am using 1-7 above to refer to the insert numbering.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Just an FYI for the behavior of the Multiplier Control Unit stepper...
When the 10x insert is lit at #7, every other cycle it will require 2 pop bumper advances to wrap around to light at #1.
This is because the stepper has 30 total positions/rivets that manage 4 cycles of 1-to-7 advancements. 4 cycles of 7 positions is 28 positions, leaving two “extra” positions/rivets on the stepper. Each extra rivet is wired to the preceding 7 rivet. Like so:
1234567 12345677 1234567 12345677...
I was questioning my stepper’s cleanliness/functioning until I took a closer at its design and wiring.
I wish I had a picture of the other side of the stepper wiring but all I have is this side:
[quoted image]
Technically the rivets are referred to as “0 pos” to “6 pos” on the schematic, but I am using 1-7 above to refer to the insert numbering.

Thanks jeffc for that nice explanation. I was wondering about how that pattern came to be.

#45 3 years ago

If you have the machine set to liberal and 2 lights are lit, it's more obvious that this is what's happening. The 7 will remain lit, but the lower number will still increment on the place holder steps.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

If you have the machine set to liberal and 2 lights are lit, it's more obvious that this is what's happening. The 7 will remain lit, but the lower number will still increment on the place holder steps.

Ah thanks, good info. I briefly had mine on liberal and that behavior was confusing me at the time too. Makes sense now.

3 months later
#47 3 years ago

Joined the club about a week ago. Game is in decent shape cosmetically and plays fine. A little spiffing up and it can join my other EMs.

I played SJ a lot back in my college days and am glad to finally own one.

43F3F959-ED40-4F62-997D-4F04E9A824AE (resized).jpeg43F3F959-ED40-4F62-997D-4F04E9A824AE (resized).jpeg480F6E5C-B28D-414C-925A-5C4987109398 (resized).jpeg480F6E5C-B28D-414C-925A-5C4987109398 (resized).jpeg
#48 3 years ago

Welcome to the club! Out of my small collection, Sky Jump is my favorite to play.

1 year later
#49 1 year ago

I'm in. Here's my Sky Jump webpage...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/skyjump/index.html

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg

10 months later
#50 7 months ago

About to join the club in the next few weeks.

It's only fitting a former skydiver gets a skydiving pin. I'm looking forward to the game play and skydiving induced flashbacks it should give me.
westlock2.jpgwestlock2.jpg

4df8de4b587f2f23d3eb614e22473ecde8e400a5.jpg4df8de4b587f2f23d3eb614e22473ecde8e400a5.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-jump-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.