Screenshot_20231231_160443_Messages.jpg
20231223_121931.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20231022_105840.jpg
ADA58D18-4753-4A4F-BDBC-089ED204AD7E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajfclark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

One of the best EMs I've ever played surely deserves its own club?

I also wanted somewhere to post little bits and bobs that don't really need their own thread.

For instance, I noticed an inconsistency in the manual on page 8.

The list has 18 A and 4 B: Screenshot from 2017-12-19 09-20-09 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2017-12-19 09-20-09 (resized).png
The diagram has 20 A rubbers and 3 B. PBR's kit includes enough to do both. I think the difference is the top left 1" guide. If you use 2 A rubbers as the diagram indicates I'm pretty sure the ball can smash the bulb: Screenshot from 2017-12-19 09-17-35 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2017-12-19 09-17-35 (resized).png
The other 1" guide further down uses a single B rubber: Screenshot from 2017-12-19 09-19-34 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2017-12-19 09-19-34 (resized).png
I think the single 1" rubber is the better idea and the pictures I can find on IPDB agree:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2195&picno=39380
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2195&picno=55861

2 months later
#7 6 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I accidentally sold my Sky Jump and still miss it.

Hang on, accidentally? There's got to be a good story here.

Quoted from Darcy:

Love that shot from the left flipper, off of the number 7 Drop Target, ball continues up, past the Pop Bumpers, through the top Roll Over number 6.

Only matched by the frustration when you think you've nail it and it rattles between the posts on the 6 lane.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

If you haven't serviced you chime unit, the plunger is likely gummed up from the foam used as a cushion from the factory (and stuck in the coil sleeve). Disassemble and clean plunger with alcohol, and install a new coil sleeve. I use door silencers for the padding when replacing.
(And in case you're a newb, the tens-unit is the smallest chime of the three.)

Really? The longest bar makes the lowest note so I always wire the thousands to the shortest, highest bar, the hundreds in the middle and the tens on the longest, lowest note.

Ting ting ting for thousands and tong tong tong for hundreds and tonk tonk tonk for tens.

Quoted from Eightball88:

I have a question. My Sky Jump only clicks when the tens reel scores, no chime. It’s supposed to chime, right?

Yes, it should chime. To test I'd swap the coloured wires on the chime coils. If it starts chiming fine, the chime unit is the issue. If it continues to not work on a chime position that did before, it's something else in the wiring.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Maybe it's different Down Under. You know, kind of like the way the water in your drains swirls in the opposite direction.

It's funny, it's one of those things I'd never really considered could be done differently. I made a poll: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-wire-your-chime-unit

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Update. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciated it. When I had a closer look at the chime unit I noticed the lead to the longest (ie lowest pitch) chime was disconnected...voila! Problem solved.
It’s interesting that the three leads have connectors and not soldered. That gives me the option of switching the chimes around for 10, 100 and 1000 points. I guess I am a traditionalist since I chose low middle high respectively. I like my chimes... they ring loud and true!

Also gives the options of pulling the ground for a quieter play.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

No, it happens when I hit the last drop. Sometimes, the scoring wheels keep going until I hit another scoring target. I trapped the ball the last time it occurred and ran the score up to 98,000 before flipping the ball......my wife was amazed when I showed her the new high score, but I fessed up.....lol

What happens when you tap the score 5000 relay?

2 years later
#40 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I joined the club a little while back. I really like this game and think it is a sleeper when it comes to wedge heads. The playfield layout and rule set are really what I consider to be some of Ed's finest work. I love the fact that the game rewards you for hitting all the 1-7 shots by multiplying the drop target points. I also love the 5000 bonus for completing all of the drops. So this game rewards for both accuracy and having a good old drop target romp. I consider this game to be every bit as good as Volley and better than C37; both of which I have owned for years before getting Sky Jump.
In a way I am almost relieved that my playfield does not have the Ed K signature on the bottom. The playfield is pretty trashed with a lot of wear to the wood and cupped inserts. I managed to get what is possibly the last Wade Krause playfield recently along with my new C37 field that was just released earlier this month.
[quoted image]

Yup, the risk reward in punting the centre bumper to move the 10x to drops you still have standing vs just hitting what you've got and getting the bank to reset...

It's a firm favourite on Friday night's with mates, who all yell at each other once someone manages to get "The Red Star of Don't Panic" lit aand laugh mightily at the inevitable instadrain... and cheer when someone does manage a nice quick couple of knocks.

1 month later
#45 3 years ago

If you have the machine set to liberal and 2 lights are lit, it's more obvious that this is what's happening. The 7 will remain lit, but the lower number will still increment on the place holder steps.

3 years later
#59 6 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Beautiful original playfield but I hate this shit. Zero points tonight! Cupped inserts.
[quoted image]

I had similar issues with the one I had, and it was especially annoying across the drop of the drops. Decided to get it clear coated to level things out.

I started from something like this: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Partway through clearing: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Done: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Didn't touch up all the wear or anything other than repainting the white under the plastics, so it still fits the beat up cabinet etc, and sure, no longer original, but it plays right now.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Somehow I don't think I ever linked to the thread I had about fixing this up... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sky-jump

2 months later
#78 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Yes, they turn off when the score motor is turning, at which times the game is “busy” and doesn’t register other events. That’s why the pop bumper caps say “100 POINTS WHEN LIT”. They can’t score points when they are dark.

Correct. Primarily this is during scoring 5x anything (eg the drops) as the motor needs to run for that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajfclark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-jump-club?tu=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.