Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinlink
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinball be considered a sport?”

• Yes 148 votes
      37%
    • No 247 votes
      63%

(395 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    World's_Fastest_Drummer_Logo_(resized).jpg
    PINBALL_SFW_(resized).png
    pinball_sport1_(resized).png
    Money-Shoes_(resized).jpg
    cover_prep_(resized).jpg
    accident-factors-in-sport-aviation-epidemiology-for-ultralights-and-gyroplanes-in-the-us-for-the-last-20-years-1-728_(resized).j
    514sGUD+faL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    140501-draft-lottery640_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.16_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.44_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.02_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.48_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.23_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.40.34_PM_(resized).png
    There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Maybe sports nor pinball is your thing? What about the sex thing?
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

I get replays on that less often than pinball

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I get replays on that less often than pinball

LOL.......Man you got some serious problems.....LOL.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Shooting? Archery? All olympic sports. Is pulling back a string more strenuous than moving around a 300 lb pinball machine?
    Is pulling a trigger?

You obviously have never truly shot archery or firearms. There is a lot of physical strain in doing both of these consistently.

#104 8 years ago

The definition of sport leaves a lot to interpretation. If you consider golf, fishing, pool, car racing, darts, poker and tiddlywinks a sport then pinball would certainly fit in with that interpretation of a sport. I would not consider them a sport nor do I consider pinball a sport. But it's all in the interpretation. I would not disagree with anyone if they would want to call it a sport. They just interpret the definition of sport different than I do. The definition does not have a clear line on what can and can not be considered a sport. It is open to interpretation which will be different depending on who you ask.

#105 8 years ago

cant wait to hear Kanedas take!

#106 8 years ago

There's a cup holder built into the sporting equipment - just like bowling.

#107 8 years ago

RESTORING a pinball machine should be a sport!

#108 8 years ago

You should see what this workout does for your pop bumper points.

O_Face_(resized).pngO_Face_(resized).png

#109 8 years ago

Not a sport....but it certainly is a lot more fun to play than many "accepted" sports.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

RESTORING a pinball machine should be a sport!

I'd make an exception for that, and hauling them.

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have you tried to pull back a compound bow? It's effing impossible, let alone aim the damn thing.

This is confusing. You're aware the entire point of a compound bow is to make it EASIER to draw, right? If you had that hard of a time, it wasn't set up for you, it's not that it was "impossible".

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This is confusing. You're aware the entire point of a compound bow is to make it EASIER to draw, right? If you had that hard of a time, it wasn't set up for you, it's not that it was "impossible".

Nope. The whole point of the compound is to make it easier to hold in a drawn position. They can be very, very hard to pull into that position.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Nope. The whole point of the compound is to make it easier to hold in a drawn position. They can be very, very hard to pull into that position.

100% correct. Also any of these "men" who claim it is not physically exhausting I would gladly let shoot my fiancées bow for an hour set up at only 40lb draw and I guarantee they are extremely sore.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Nope wasn't aware of that. It appears the two posts above this one disagree though. I was using a friends now that is my size. Figured I would be able to pull it back with relative ease. Not so much.

#115 8 years ago

It's not a sport.... no way.

But that doesn't diminish it as a "game of skill"

#116 8 years ago

Wasn't April fools day 10 days ago?

#117 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

If pinball is a sport then sex is a sport. It's fun and it makes me sweat but I'm not very good at it.

Try using your dominant hand.

#118 8 years ago

For those saying its not a workout, I think that's ridiculous. If I'm standing at a bar putting up over 40B on AFM, that's tiring! Even if you don't move the machine, your muscles tense up a lot, especially when the game is getting really good. And I don't know about any of you, but even if I don't move the machine, I move myself a lot. I dance. Hopping back and forth, throwing my arms in the air because for some reason, these things help keep the ball alive. And after a half hour or more of this on a single game, I need a rest. And not for nothing, I'm a 22 year old guy in pretty good shape.

All that said though, I'd say it's not a sport for the same reasons I don't consider golf or chess as sports. By definition, I believe it does qualify, but eh. Who is anyone kidding, really.

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. They are junior athletes. Please don't misquote me either.

I did not misquote you before. You misunderstand logic.

A brown dog is still a dog.

Junior athletes and professional athletes are two categories of athletes. (So yes, then, they are technically athletes after all. Just not what one thinks when they hear "athlete," was my point.)

Athletic and "unathletic" sports are both sports.

My earlier quote was entirely accurate, and used common convention to remove irrelevant detail. Nothing deserving your downvote.

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I did not misquote you before. You misunderstand logic.
    A brown dog is still a dog.
    Junior athletes and professional athletes are two categories of athletes. (So yes, then, they are technically athletes after all. Just not what one thinks when they hear "athlete," was my point.)
    Athletic and "unathletic" sports are both sports.
    My earlier quote was entirely accurate, and used common convention to remove irrelevant detail. Nothing deserving your downvote.

I disagreed with the previous statement along with this one. Hence the down votes.

#121 8 years ago

Heck no. I'm all for it being classified as a skill-based recreational activity, but a *sport*? As The Black Knight might say, "NO WAY!!!!!!"

#122 8 years ago

Well, if this is a sport..

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#123 8 years ago

What about the luck element? I think that pinball involves some luck. I mean, you definitely need to be skilled, but sometimes the ball drains accidentally by pure and simple luck. This is the main reason why pinball cannot qualify as sport in my opinion.

An interesting test anyway would be considering pinball rankings: is there some consistency? Or not? I mean, is there somebody that consistently can show he is better than others playing pinball? If that is the case, then it means that the luck element is not so relevant.

#124 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Maybe get a blister on your little finger
    Maybe get a blister on your thumb

hey, I got that from Nintendo controllers back in the day. Nintendo thumb sucked. Used to wear these leather pad things used to sort mail. Feel the BURN!!!!!!!!!

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

What about the luck element? I think that pinball involves some luck. I mean, you definitely need to be skilled, but sometimes the ball drains accidentally by pure and simple luck. This is the main reason why pinball cannot qualify as sport in my opinion.

Every sport has an element of luck, or they wouldn't need to play the games. Or all best of 7 series would end in 4 games, etc.

#126 8 years ago

I can do it, so no, it's not a sport. It's as pastime like bowling or golf.

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I disagreed with the previous statement along with this one. Hence the down votes.

If disagreeing with facts trips your trigger, go for it!

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

I can do it, so no, it's not a sport. It's as pastime like bowling or golf.

correct.... I settled an argument with a friend over "bowling as a sport" when i showed him bowling shirts came in sizes up to 7XL.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

hey, I got that from Nintendo controllers back in the day.

Back in the day?? I STILL suffer from Nintendo thumbs. #DuckTales4Life I also suffer from Genesis thumbs and SNES thumbs. The worst though are N64 analog stick thumbs when playing a particularly grueling game of smash.

gms_(resized).jpggms_(resized).jpg

#130 8 years ago

I'm very surprised by the results of the poll. Pinball is absolutely a sport by definition, much different from traditional ones, but a sport none the less. I feel like anyone that says otherwise has never played in a tournament, because you are often physically and mentally drained after playing in one.

#131 8 years ago

No. No. No. There is a minimum level of physical exertion that needs to be met for something to meet my definition of a sport.

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well, if this is a sport..

image_(resized).jpeg

I do this myself. I confirm it is not a sport. Although I am no annie oakley. Don't depend on me to defend you.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Back in the day?? I STILL suffer from Nintendo thumbs. #DuckTales4Life I also suffer from Genesis thumbs and SNES thumbs. The worst though are N64 analog stick thumbs when playing a particularly grueling game of smash.
    gms_(resized).jpg

Ducktails

btw, I have perma snes thumbs from super metroid

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

I'm very surprised by the results of the poll. Pinball is absolutely a sport by definition, much different from traditional ones, but a sport none the less. I feel like anyone that says otherwise has never played in a tournament, because you are often physically and mentally drained after playing in one.

Same thing can be said for bigger Poker tournaments. The WSOP lasts for over 7 days and is very taxing both mentally & physically. Don't see anyone here that would argue that High Stakes Pokes is a Sport.

#135 8 years ago

So we're in agreement that anything involving an element of competition, plus physical movement of any kind, however slight, is a sport? In that case I was definitely varsity on the board game squad in high school.

Or could it be that people are confusing the terms "game" and "sport?" It's a Venn diagram, folks, but let's not get ourselves tied up in knots over it. Pinball's in the "game" circle.

#136 8 years ago

If you're IFPA ranked yes.
    If you're not no.

#137 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Try using your dominant hand.

I just do 'The Stranger.' I sit on my hand until it falls asleep and then it's like someone else is there to help.

#138 8 years ago

Pinball is not a sport and should never be considered as one.

#139 8 years ago

I believe the all-time low of olympic 'sport' was "walking". The way those people waddled around but not quite running. If walking can be a sport then I believe anything can.

#140 8 years ago

Not a sport, but more so than poker............

#141 8 years ago

These are one of them questions I really can't waste any time on thinking about. Call it what you want. I'm good with whatever.

#142 8 years ago

At a minimum it should be called an e-sport. It is an electronic device that requires skill to compete at a high level.

#143 8 years ago

If something is a game, and you play it in a league, competitively against other players from all over the world, then why wouldn't it be a sport.

I don't think the definition of sport includes running, jumping or heavy lifting.

#144 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If something is a game, and you play it in a league, competitively against other players from all over the world, then why wouldn't it be a sport.
    I don't think the definition of sport includes running, jumping or heavy lifting.

Running in itself is not a sport, but racing is. Once again it is all in the context of the activity. Competitive pinball is a sport, playing pinball in your basement while sitting on your hand to numb your self awareness is not.

#145 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Running in itself is not a sport, but racing is. Once again it is all in the context of the activity. Competitive pinball is a sport, playing pinball in your basement while sitting on your hand to numb your self awareness is not.

When I run in a marathon, I'm "racing", but I have zero chance of winning. I'm just not fast enough. If I can't win, am I involved in a sport?

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Every sport has an element of luck, or they wouldn't need to play the games. Or all best of 7 series would end in 4 games, etc.

I' ve played several sports in my life, including tennis at an amateur advanced level. Of course there is a slight element of luck in any sport, but in pinball luck has a bigger impact on the final result.

As a proof, consider your last ten scores at your last favourite game: you have probably some in the lower hundreds millions and some in 3/4/5...+ billions. What a huge difference! In any sport (including darts, pool, bowling!) the results of a single athlete are way more similar from game to game.

About poker. It is definitely not a sport, but a table game (like chess, go, etc): they require mental endurance (surely linked to physical endurance), but not physical skills. Pinball actually requires physical skills, but it's still not a sport because of the role of luck. Luck plays a big role in poker too in a single game: so also in pinball to properly evaluate the skill of players, it would be necessary to test them over many games and then adding/averaging scores.

On top of this, although not so crucial in the definition of "sport", you have to consider that all pinball machines differs from others: steepness, rubbers, slingshot responsiveness, you name it... when playing a tournament, the (local) guys that have the opportunity to train on that machine have a huge advantage over others (unless local players are not allowed of course).

What about PAPA tornaments? Are there some players that can consistently beat the field?

#147 8 years ago

Well if pinball is a sport then I guess all the other carnival games, like skee ball and milk jug toss are sports as well

#148 8 years ago

Cane toad races are recognized as a sport in Australia. Therefore, I belive pinball is also considered a sport in Australia. In the U.S. debating what is a sport, is of itself, a sport.

#149 8 years ago

Great discussion going on here. Perhaps the better question would have been “Should COMPETITIVE Pinball be Considered a Sport?”. I totally agree with TaylorVA that context is very important here. If you are playing pinball in your game room by yourself, that is much different than being in the final group at PAPA. It's two different worlds.

I have also seen a couple people ask the question:

Quoted from Luppin:

Are there some players that can consistently beat the field?

And the answer is yes. In the world of competitive pinball the top players are consistently at the top of the rankings (just like any other sport). I am curious if the majority of people claiming that pinball is absolutely not a sport, play competitively or mostly recreational? If you are only playing for fun and never competing in actual tournaments, I could see how it would be hard to understand why some are claiming that it IS a sport.

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I am curious if the majority of people claiming that pinball is absolutely not a sport, play competitively or mostly recreational? .

I LOLed at this a bit.... I feel sorry for anyone that doesnt play MOSTLY for recreation... I'd bet even the top tourney players would say the same....

Quoted from pinlink:

Great discussion going on here. Perhaps the better question would have been “Should COMPETITIVE Pinball be Considered a Sport?”.

Yeah.... still "no."

Is COMPETITIVE slot machine playing a sport? (Their fingers can ver VERY sore at the end of a long tournament).

Pinball is a GAME of skill.

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-pinball-be-considered-a-sport/page/3?hl=tux and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.