Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinlink
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinball be considered a sport?”

• Yes 148 votes
      37%
    • No 247 votes
      63%

(395 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    World's_Fastest_Drummer_Logo_(resized).jpg
    PINBALL_SFW_(resized).png
    pinball_sport1_(resized).png
    Money-Shoes_(resized).jpg
    cover_prep_(resized).jpg
    accident-factors-in-sport-aviation-epidemiology-for-ultralights-and-gyroplanes-in-the-us-for-the-last-20-years-1-728_(resized).j
    514sGUD+faL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    140501-draft-lottery640_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.16_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.44_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.02_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.48_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.23_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.40.34_PM_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#131 8 years ago

No. No. No. There is a minimum level of physical exertion that needs to be met for something to meet my definition of a sport.

#174 8 years ago

It's as much of a sport as competitive spelling or poker, which are on ESPN. Even at the highest levels there is simply not enough physical exertion to be considered a sport. So in my book, none of them are sports! I don't see people posing exercise tips on how to improve at spelling, poker, or pinball. If it required the level of physical exertion to become a sport we'd have topics discussing pinball workouts. Yet after 100,000s of topics it simply hasn't come up.

#176 8 years ago

I play pinball recreationally.

#183 8 years ago

For me the definition comes down to that level of physical exertion. What is the minimum level of physical exertion required for something to become a sport? For me that's beyond standing, nudging, and flipping (plus dealing with adrenaline and nerves). I feel there has to be some minimum otherwise every activity or hobby done competitively would be a sport. I can't think of anything that doesn't require at least some physical exertion. Again that's just my opinio...man.

biglebowski_(resized).jpgbiglebowski_(resized).jpg

Quoted from pinlink:

This is very interesting to me, and aligns with my previous thought:

I did not start playing competitively until about 2 years ago. Before then I would've probably agreed with you 100%. But I am telling you, competitive pinball is a different beast. Probably the best way to understand is to play in a few tournaments.
    I am starting to feel this way:
    Recreational Pinball = Game
    Competitive Pinball = Sport
    As TaylorVA has stated, it's all about context.

I'm not sure that's a fair argument. I think most would recognize that soccer, for example, is a sport without having competed in a soccer tournament. Perhaps there is a difference with these borderline examples. Either way, in order to answer your question of whether pinball is a sport a person has to first answer my question; what is the minimum level of physical exertion required for something to become a sport?

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Point taken but I will refer back to my original post of the “Is golf really a sport?” question. It seems when I hear people ask this question, maybe they have played putt putt, or have been to the driving range a few times, maybe even played a casual 9 hole game, but have never actually competed in a real tournament (that can last several days, just like a pinball tourny). I think if someone were to play in a legit golf tournament there would be no question of “is this really a sport”. I think the same applies to pinball. Again, just my opinion.

I really like how Popular Science framed that debate. They asked the question, "Is Tiger Woods proof that golf is a sport, or is John Daly confirmation to the contrary?" and determined that the answer "probably depends on whether you've got a set of clubs in the garage." Clever. I'd ask the following followup questions, "Would Tiger Woods have been as dominant if he was less athletic?" and "Would John Daly have been more dominant if he was more athletic?" My answers would be "no" and "yes". I'd argue that being athletic makes a much larger difference in golf then pinball.

PS: I'll address the obvious comeback, that John Daly was already known as a long ball hitter. My counter to this would be that if he were more athletic he would have been able to produce equal distances without using such an uncontrolled swing.

Quoted from pinlink:

That is the question that is seemingly impossible to answer. It is completely subjective.

In my view that is the only question that makes this a debate.

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Again, the past few posts have been restrictive in defining sports as only athletic sports, totally ruling out sports such as chess which are considered mind sports.

I will give you that. Pinball is as much of a sport as chess, spelling bees, Odyssey of the Mind, Math Olympics, video games, Academy Awards, board games, Solo & Ensemble, battle of the bands, Go Fish!, art contests, Mock Trial, Sudoku, construction, etc.

#249 8 years ago

I'll quote myself from before.

Quoted from lpeters82:

I really like how Popular Science framed that debate. They asked the question, "Is Tiger Woods proof that golf is a sport, or is John Daly confirmation to the contrary?" and determined that the answer "probably depends on whether you've got a set of clubs in the garage." Clever. I'd ask the following followup questions, "Would Tiger Woods have been as dominant if he was less athletic?" and "Would John Daly have been more dominant if he was more athletic?" My answers would be "no" and "yes". I'd argue that being athletic makes a much larger difference in golf then pinball.

#250 8 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

"Have your pressing issues decided by Famous Minor Television Personality John Hodgman, Certified Judge. If you'd like John Hodgman to solve your pressing issue, please contact us http://www.maximumfun.org/jjho."

I volunteer as tribute to make the con argument. Does someone accept the challenge? In our submission I think we need to provide some options for "justice" should the honorable judge rule against us. I'm open to suggestions.

Here is the correct link: https://judgejohnhodgman.wufoo.com/forms/submit-your-case-to-judge-john-hodgman/

#277 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Simply because you haven't seen it.. doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This side is largely against competitive pinball... and doesn't appreciate it or approach it the same. So that community largely hangs out elsewhere.
    If you want an example of this discussion... listen to Nate from C2C pinball interview the Sharpes about the physical aspect of competing in pinburg at replayfx 2015.. and what Roger says about it and how he approached it
    https://www.podcat.com/podcasts/RIejgW-coast-2-coast-pinball/episodes/R9LbXw-episode-182-a-chat-from-the-floor-with-roger-zach-and-josh-sharpe

Thank you for the link. It was a very interesting listen. In my arguing that it's not a sport, something I still believe, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to dismiss the dedication tournament players put into pinball. The level of dedication is very comparable to preparing for a sport. Further, I agree with most of the comparisons the speaker made to other sports. The analogy of a golfer studying the course with his caddie was spot on.

#335 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

sport. : a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

I guess that's really the debate at this point, "What is the definition of sports?"

#371 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Using your logic... the world was flat for tens of thousands of years because if you asked everyone if the earth was flat or round... they said it was flat.

I don't think that's an accurate analogy. If the vast majority of people agree on the meaning of a word and use the word in that context, that will become the definition. How people use words is what defines them.

#386 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So you're saying as long as you can find enough people who are ignorant of the topic we can redefine the definition. That proves my analogy to a tee. The topic is not purely subjective and by skewing your results with people not in a position to form a credible response... All you do is pollute your results.
    The idea that simply because someone exist, their response is equally valuable ... is horribly flawed.
    The question is not "what does the public think of pinball" - so why do ppl keep trying to reference that question as meaningful?
    If you ask people which food is better... Something they know and a food they've never heard of... A poll lead for the familiar is a worthless survey.
    The general public doesn't know enough about the topic to be a credible opinion on the question.

With language, yes. How the vast majority of people use language is what defines it. For example, the word "nice" used to mean "ignorant" or "stupid". Now it means "pleasant". Is everyone that uses "nice" as "pleasant" wrong? No, because that is now what the vast majority of people believe it means. So was everyone that previously used "nice" as "ignorant" wrong? No again; because that was previously how the vast majority of people used it. It's not about finding ignorant people, it's about finding how the vast majority of people use language.

Perhaps I should have prefaced this with where I'm at in the debate. I think the real debate is about defining "sport". More specifically what is the minimum level of physical exertion that is required for something to be considered a sport. There are some here that have claimed it to be zero. Again, I don't think that's how the vast majority of people use the word "sport".

#391 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

cover_prep_(resized).jpg

Definitions are dependent on context. I feel there is a huge difference in the definition if you are saying, "I enjoy fishing for sport" versus "Is fishing a sport?". In the first, I'd interpret the word "sport" as a synonym for "recreation" or "fun". Basically I am stating that I am not fishing as a means for commerce or survival. If that's the definition you are using then, absolutely, you can play pinball for sport. In the second, I'd interpret the word "sport" as perhaps "athletic activity". Based on context is seems logical that the OP is referencing the later. Assuming we can agree on that, the question remains, "What is the minimum level of physical exertion required for something to be considered a sport?"

#419 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

If you were describing adjectives and impression terms... I see where you are coming from.

I don't want to get hung up on this point but the nouns have also changed in definition.

Quoted from flynnibus:

In your example... you should be asking people 'what constitutes something as a sport' - so that the poll of the masses is to agree upon what the definition of 'sport' should be.

Quoted from lpeters82:

I guess that's really the debate at this point, "What is the definition of sports?"

I proactively agree.

Quoted from flynnibus:

People are probably hung up on my use of the word ignorant.. I don't mean the people you are asking are stupid.. I mean they are WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE of the topic you are asking them to evaluate.

That's how I understood your argument.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-pinball-be-considered-a-sport?tu=lpeters82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.