3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by pinlink
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinball be considered a sport?”

• Yes 143 votes
      37%
    • No 246 votes
      63%

(389 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 56 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    World's_Fastest_Drummer_Logo_(resized).jpg
    PINBALL_SFW_(resized).png
    pinball_sport1_(resized).png
    Money-Shoes_(resized).jpg
    cover_prep_(resized).jpg
    accident-factors-in-sport-aviation-epidemiology-for-ultralights-and-gyroplanes-in-the-us-for-the-last-20-years-1-728_(resized).jpg
    514sGUD+faL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    140501-draft-lottery640_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.16_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.44_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.02_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.48_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.23_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.40.34_PM_(resized).png

There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 3 years ago

With the Masters Golf Tournament wrapping up over the weekend, it seems the question always comes up. “Should golf really be considered a sport?”. I personally think it is absolutely a sport, but others disagree. But It got me thinking, is pinball a sport? Thought this would be a good topic for discussion and I was unable to find any past threads discussing this.

My thoughts: I wouldn’t go as far as saying we are all a bunch of athletes (lol), but I do think pinball should be considered a sport. There is real competition, tournaments, player rakings, etc. Is it more or less of a sport than things like bowling, darts, golf, basketball, etc.?

What do you think?

#2 3 years ago

Absolutely.

#3 3 years ago

Love me some pinball and love me some sports. However I do not think pinball is a sport.

#4 3 years ago

If darts and pool can be sports, then why not.

#5 3 years ago

If the ridiculously stupid Olympic sport of curling can be.....um sure.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

same with poker...athletes???

untitled_(resized).png

ww_(resized).png

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Those aren't sports either. Obviously the best are more talented and skillful than the rest of us, but that doesn't mean they're sports. There are tons of things you can compete in that aren't sports. To me, if the majority of people do an activity as a 'bar sport', it's not an actual sport. It can still be a really fun activity that you can take pride in doing well, but doesn't have to be a sport.

#9 3 years ago

I Love Sports and I Love Pinball ... but No! Let's not take this hobby and wonderful form of entertainment too seriously. Wouldn't want the hobby to become so embraced with passion and vitriole (Stern ..no JJP ... no Heighway ...). Oh yeah, it kind of already is!

Keep on Flippin and having fun guys-n-gals.

#10 3 years ago

I think at the highest competitive level it could be considered a sport. I wouldn't consider my play a sport.

#11 3 years ago

Saw the same debate yesterday with the Heroes of the Dorm coverage on ESPN2. People going crazy about eSports and how dumb they are. Yet these same people will watch Poker on ESPN and not bat an eye.

You can call anything a sport, but I think the more accurate term is competition, and that is the part we love. These are competitions that take skill, whether it be pinball or eSports or poker. Maybe not as much physical skill, but skill none the less. If competition is what makes something a sport, then so be it.

#12 3 years ago

Ya.....NO

#13 3 years ago

I'd consider it a sport because if you're competing (especially at long weekend events like PAPA or Pinburgh) you need a lot of endurance, as well as focus and practice. You're on your feet A LOT and it can be hard on the body, physically and mentally.

#14 3 years ago

sport

/spôrt/

noun

plural noun: sports

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as baseball and soccer"

synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics; pastime
    "we did a lot of sports"

- Absolutely not.

#15 3 years ago

i mean there are esports now with computer games, so why not. lets get PAPA 20 on ESPN the Ocho

#16 3 years ago

It's a sport. It takes physical and mental exertion, case closed.

#17 3 years ago

Curling, badminton, ping pong, water polo, etc. all Olympic sports.
    Yes, competitive pinball is a sport.
    Golf, a sport.

#18 3 years ago

If you can play sitting down it is not a sport. Water Polo is definitely a sport BTW

#19 3 years ago

I would say there is no physical exertion in pinball. So no, not a sport.

#20 3 years ago

E-Sport like video games.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

If you can play sitting down it is not a sport. Water Polo is definitely a sport BTW

ummm....

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Shooting? Archery? All olympic sports. Is pulling back a string more strenuous than moving around a 300 lb pinball machine?
    Is pulling a trigger?

#23 3 years ago

Trophies are involved, I'd say it's a sport of sorts.

#24 3 years ago

Come on. We're playing with toys here. Definitely not a sport.

On the other hand, lifting pinball machines could definitely be a sport.

177573772_(resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

If you can play sitting down it is not a sport.

this guy thinks you don't know sports.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-11_at_12.41.08_PM_(resized).png

#26 3 years ago

I think as the hobby or "sport" becomes mainstream again there could be hope of ESPN (or ESPN2) or another "sport" network televising major pinball tournaments, which would of course expose the game more to the general public. Look what happened once ESPN started to cover the World Series of Poker.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Come on. We're playing with toys here. Definitely not a sport.

Your ability defines you as playing, other's abilities allow them to transcend play and become competitors. All on how you approach it.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Shooting? Archery? All olympic sports. Is pulling back a string more strenuous than moving around a 300 lb pinball machine?
    Is pulling a trigger?

Shooting is close, but archery for sure a sport. Have you tried to pull back a compound bow? It's effing impossible, let alone aim the damn thing.

These players aren't picking the games above their heads, they are shoving it an inch or two to the right or left, and that is not a regular occurrence due to the tilts usually not allowing a big move.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

http://imgur.com/AQoH698

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Your ability defines you as playing, other's abilities allow them to transcend play and become competitors. All on how you approach it.

No arguments here. Pinball can be competitive. Still not a sport.

#31 3 years ago

lol well that settles it. He slid a pinball machine a lil over a foot. Must be a sport.....lol

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Shooting is close, but archery for sure a sport. Have you tried to pull back a compound bow? It's effing impossible, let alone aim the damn thing.
    These players aren't picking the games above their heads, they are shoving it an inch or two to the right or left, and that is not a regular occurrence due to the tilts usually not allowing a big move.

Depends on your skill level. Listen to Elwin talk about sliding saving and how he controls the tilts. Hell, Chess is going to be in the 2020 olympics. Pinball is a physical activity, you cannot play pinball without physical exertion. Defining a sport by how much exertion is applied is just arguing for arguments sake.

#33 3 years ago

Seen it. I totally understand what your saying, but that is not a regular occurance and it's not required to be the best in the world.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

lol well that settles it. He slid a pinball machine a lil over a foot. Must be a sport.....lol

By definition? Yes, it does.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Depends on your skill level. Listen to Elwin talk about sliding saving and how he controls the tilts. Hell, Chess is going to be in the 2020 olympics. Pinball is a physical activity, you cannot play pinball without physical exertion. Defining a sport by how much exertion is applied is just arguing for arguments sake.

Sorry. I guess I'm old fashioned when considering something a sport. It doesn't take away with how impressive all these competitions and competitors are, so why does it matter what we call it?

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Seen it. I totally understand what your saying, but that is not a regular occurance and it's not required to be the best in the world.

But the best in the world make it a sport. If I go out and toss the ball am I playing a sport? Is tossing a ball a sport? I would say no. If I go out in a competitive setting like a baseball game and toss a ball then yes I am playing a sport. Its all about context. Me playing Wii with my kid is not a sport, at the highest levels it becomes one.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

But the best in the world make it a sport. If I go out and toss the ball am I playing a sport? Is tossing a ball a sport? I would say no. If I go out in a competitive setting like a baseball game and toss a ball then yes I am playing a sport. Its all about context. Me playing Wii with my kid is not a sport, at the highest levels it becomes one.

Okay there you go. We have two completely different opinions on what a sport is. That's okay.

#38 3 years ago

Sure...then we can petition to have it included in the Olympics along side rhythmic gymnastics.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry. I guess I'm old fashioned when considering something a sport. It doesn't take away with how impressive all these competitions and competitors are, so why does it matter what we call it?

I'm right there with you but the more I play, and play horribly compared to what skilled players do, the more I feel like what guys like Elwin, Bowen, Zach, Robert and others do takes the game of pinball to the next level. Their skill at physically manipulating a game through physical exertion; nudging, slapping,sliding, etc., makes what they do a sport.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

Sure...then we can petition to have it included in the Olympics along side rhythmic gymnastics.

The IOC recognizes Chess as a sport. They have asked for inclusion in the 2020 olympics.

#41 3 years ago

No.

Golf isn't a sport either, it's a game. Anything that can be performed at a leisurely pace, while carrying a beer, is not a sport.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

The IOC recognizes Chess as a sport. They have asked for inclusion in the 2020 olympics.

They are called the "Olympic Games" or "games of the Olympiad" A "Game" can be in the olympics & still not be considered a Sport.

#43 3 years ago

No.

#44 3 years ago

Hell no. If you've ever played a sport at a decent level, "hockey here", you realize how silly this debate is. You don't even break a sweat playing pinball, that's not sport.

I also don't agree that darts, chess, etc. is a sport.

#45 3 years ago

A.B._2_(resized).jpg

z-booger-nerds_(resized).jpg

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

You don't even break a sweat playing pinball

you are not trying hard enough...

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

You don't even break a sweat playing pinball, that's not sport.

You do when you're in horrible shape like me. Haha

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I wouldn't say there is no physical exertion in pinball but I think the important distinction is whether physical exertion is a key element or not. Yes nudging is incredibly important, but to me it seems like the mental aspect of knowing when and how to nudge is the skill, not the physical ability to nudge.

Football, soccer, hockey, etc. all take physical ability and make it a key element and are therefore sports. I don't think of e-sports, fishing, poker, chess, etc. as sports. But just because they aren't sports, it doesn't mean they are any less competitive.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

But the best in the world make it a sport.

If a 5 year old plays hockey, it's still a sport. If a 5 year old plays video games, it is not. Why the distinction for different types of activities?

#49 3 years ago

"Wow, It's kind of intimidating to be in the presence of so many great athletes"

image_(resized).jpeg

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

They are called the "Olympic Games" or "games of the Olympiad" A "Game" can be in the olympics & still not be considered a Sport.

The IOC recognizes it as a "sport."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 89.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 15.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 64.00
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    There are 438 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside