Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 438 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinlink
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinball be considered a sport?”

• Yes 148 votes
      37%
    • No 247 votes
      63%

(395 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    World's_Fastest_Drummer_Logo_(resized).jpg
    PINBALL_SFW_(resized).png
    pinball_sport1_(resized).png
    Money-Shoes_(resized).jpg
    cover_prep_(resized).jpg
    accident-factors-in-sport-aviation-epidemiology-for-ultralights-and-gyroplanes-in-the-us-for-the-last-20-years-1-728_(resized).j
    514sGUD+faL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200__(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    140501-draft-lottery640_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.16_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.44_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.43.02_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.48_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.42.23_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-14_at_1.40.34_PM_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago

It's a sport. It takes physical and mental exertion, case closed.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

If you can play sitting down it is not a sport. Water Polo is definitely a sport BTW

ummm....

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would say there is no physical exertion in pinball. So no, not a sport.

Shooting? Archery? All olympic sports. Is pulling back a string more strenuous than moving around a 300 lb pinball machine?
    Is pulling a trigger?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

If you can play sitting down it is not a sport.

this guy thinks you don't know sports.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-11_at_12.41.08_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-11_at_12.41.08_PM_(resized).png

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Come on. We're playing with toys here. Definitely not a sport.

Your ability defines you as playing, other's abilities allow them to transcend play and become competitors. All on how you approach it.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would say there is no physical exertion in pinball. So no, not a sport.

http://imgur.com/AQoH698

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Shooting is close, but archery for sure a sport. Have you tried to pull back a compound bow? It's effing impossible, let alone aim the damn thing.
    These players aren't picking the games above their heads, they are shoving it an inch or two to the right or left, and that is not a regular occurrence due to the tilts usually not allowing a big move.

Depends on your skill level. Listen to Elwin talk about sliding saving and how he controls the tilts. Hell, Chess is going to be in the 2020 olympics. Pinball is a physical activity, you cannot play pinball without physical exertion. Defining a sport by how much exertion is applied is just arguing for arguments sake.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

lol well that settles it. He slid a pinball machine a lil over a foot. Must be a sport.....lol

By definition? Yes, it does.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Seen it. I totally understand what your saying, but that is not a regular occurance and it's not required to be the best in the world.

But the best in the world make it a sport. If I go out and toss the ball am I playing a sport? Is tossing a ball a sport? I would say no. If I go out in a competitive setting like a baseball game and toss a ball then yes I am playing a sport. Its all about context. Me playing Wii with my kid is not a sport, at the highest levels it becomes one.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry. I guess I'm old fashioned when considering something a sport. It doesn't take away with how impressive all these competitions and competitors are, so why does it matter what we call it?

I'm right there with you but the more I play, and play horribly compared to what skilled players do, the more I feel like what guys like Elwin, Bowen, Zach, Robert and others do takes the game of pinball to the next level. Their skill at physically manipulating a game through physical exertion; nudging, slapping,sliding, etc., makes what they do a sport.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

Sure...then we can petition to have it included in the Olympics along side rhythmic gymnastics.

The IOC recognizes Chess as a sport. They have asked for inclusion in the 2020 olympics.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

They are called the "Olympic Games" or "games of the Olympiad" A "Game" can be in the olympics & still not be considered a Sport.

The IOC recognizes it as a "sport."

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

I wouldn't say there is no physical exertion in pinball but I think the important distinction is whether physical exertion is a key element or not. Yes nudging is incredibly important, but to me it seems like the mental aspect of knowing when and how to nudge is the skill, not the physical ability to nudge.
    Football, soccer, hockey, etc. all take physical ability and make it a key element and are therefore sports. I don't think of e-sports, fishing, poker, chess, etc. as sports. But just because they aren't sports, it doesn't mean they are any less competitive.

If a 5 year old plays hockey, it's still a sport. If a 5 year old plays video games, it is not. Why the distinction for different types of activities?

Context. I said if I was playing a Wii game with my kid I would not consider it a sport. If a 35 yr old was playing hockey against a 5 yr old are they playing a sport or just playing?

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay there you go. We have two completely different opinions on what a sport is. That's okay.

It's okay to be wrong, it's just not okay to realize when you are wrong and to not change your opinion. We are trying to figure out whose opinion is wrong.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-11_at_1.12.26_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-11_at_1.12.26_PM_(resized).png

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Yes that Highly reputable organization the IOC. Is there a more corrupt organization out there this side of the mafia? lol

Yes, FIFA.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Saw that too. Like I said. I think there is zero physical exertion in pinball. I don't think nudging, slide saving, slap saving is physical exertion. And if it is, then pinball has only been a sport since tilt warnings were implemented?

Has nothing to do with tilt warnings. Has everything to do with physical exertion being applied to the body of the pinball machine to manipulate the movement of the ball. You are coming around though.

#144 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If something is a game, and you play it in a league, competitively against other players from all over the world, then why wouldn't it be a sport.
    I don't think the definition of sport includes running, jumping or heavy lifting.

Running in itself is not a sport, but racing is. Once again it is all in the context of the activity. Competitive pinball is a sport, playing pinball in your basement while sitting on your hand to numb your self awareness is not.

#152 8 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

When I run in a marathon, I'm "racing", but I have zero chance of winning. I'm just not fast enough. If I can't win, am I involved in a sport?

Yes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-pinball-be-considered-a-sport?tu=taylorva and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.