100_4933.jpg
100_4931.jpg
100_4930.jpg
100_4929.jpg
100_4923.jpg
MOSFET.jpg
100_4917.jpg
100_4921.jpg
IRL540MosfetData_sheet.pdf (PDF preview)
20N10L_mosfet.pdf (PDF preview)
HCT273.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 448 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 12 years ago

I am not adding anything positive, I just saw 300 posts and thought I was missing the biggest fight in Pinside history.

Carry on

#302 12 years ago

good caps
Q9 cap .9 m ohm
Q10 cap 6. + m ohm
Q11 cap 9. m ohm

tab Q12 to ground reads and goes OL
tab Q14 to ground reads and goes OL

#303 12 years ago

Replace those caps....the good ones read like mine

#304 12 years ago

Or swap a good and bad and see if problem moves

#305 12 years ago

ok... ya I just checked and I only have 1 cap left...

gonna eat some pizza flavor real quick

#306 12 years ago

maybe I should get several more caps, I have fets and resistors...
then change all 3 Q fets, caps, and resistors at the same time...Q12, Q13, And Q 14
I would change what I have now and try it but all that stuff checked good before and now it's not.
not sure if one thing is taking out the other,but if I change it all at once... I don't know.
I received my knocker assy today and installed it so that 74v wire isn't just lying in the cabinet...

#307 12 years ago

can someone double check me on the caps? 0.01uf 50v +80-20 axial
I didn't want to wait to get these, but radio shack... I can't find them.
so I guess I'm stuck here for a bit...

#308 12 years ago

Good idea on replacing them as a set....When you do that and plug everything back in, I would do it with the three grounds removed from those coils. Then plug J9 in with the grounds off the coils and make sure the FETs aren't turned on. Then attach one ground at a time and test as you go. That way you'll know if there's something on the coil side taking out the bank of components.

You are correct on the caps.

#309 12 years ago

ok cool... I guess I'll have to order them though... bummer.

#310 12 years ago

just a thought and I might try this just for grins... disconnect the pop.
would it be possible that the pop bumper that stopped working due to a loose wire has shorted something?
and when I connected it back up I caused some issue?
I didn't check this coil or diode because it didn't have an issue... it worked and still works just fine, but my problem started after the pop bump issue...

#311 12 years ago

Anything's possible at this point. Doesn't hurt to try. If you had a molex pin remover, I'd say pull every pin out off of J9 and start inserting them one at a time into the connector and plugging it back in to see when/if the FETs turn on.

#312 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Anything's possible at this point. Doesn't hurt to try. If you had a molex pin remover, I'd say pull every pin out off of J9 and start inserting them one at a time into the connector and plugging it back in to see when/if the FETs turn on.

robert, I believe that J9 is an IDC connector. No pins or terminals to remove.

#313 12 years ago

well I removed the diode on that pop coil and just replaced it... no dice.
checked ohms and had +11 so coils ok
I did take the ground wires off the other 3 coils though...
went through the diagnostic and at least my new knocker works... along with everything else
I just don't know
I played a game without slingshots, and the vuk...
I miss my game

#314 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

robertmee said:Anything's possible at this point. Doesn't hurt to try. If you had a molex pin remover, I'd say pull every pin out off of J9 and start inserting them one at a time into the connector and plugging it back in to see when/if the FETs turn on.
robert, I believe that J9 is an IDC connector. No pins or terminals to remove.

Ah, you're right....my mind's going considering I just unplugged my J9 today to make comparable readings

#315 12 years ago

at this point I'm ready to start cutting wires lol
I could remove every ground wire to every coil on p9 and go from there
Heck, I already have 3 of them off...

#316 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

When you do that and plug everything back in, I would do it with the three grounds removed from those coils. Then plug J9 in with the grounds off the coils and make sure the FETs aren't turned on. Then attach one ground at a time and test as you go. That way you'll know if there's something on the coil side taking out the bank of components.

Robert I was thinking about that a few days ago. Since J9 is an IDC then Apollo could desolder the coil wire that is going to J9 from the 3 coils. Apollo, do you have any alligator clips or test leads?
You could tack solder the alligator clips to the 3 wires or you could use test leads to connect each coil one at a time back to the J9 return wire for each coil. We can see if one, two or all 3 lines cause the mosfets to have positive voltages on the gates. Basically what robert was stating.

Now this brings me to the question of if we tested all the J9 coils for ohms. Not sure if we did this or not. Using your DMM set to the lowest Ohm scale, connect one lead to the 50 VDC line and then one at a time measure each pin on J9. You should see no shorts but you should read a low resistance. Have we done this or can we do this?

Apollo are you also saying that you think Q12, 13 and 14 are blown again?

#317 12 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

at this point I'm ready to start cutting wires lol
I could remove every ground wire to every coil on p9 and go from there

That's true....Just please put a wire nut on them with tape, so none of them touch voltage and blow up something more

#318 12 years ago

He's had the three coil grounds off and J9 plugged in, but I can't remember if he measured the FETs during that time period. The three coils measure good because we measured drain to drain on the FETs which was measuring two coils at a time in parallel. I'm wondering if one of the 'good' coils is the culprit. I like your idea of measuring ALL the coil resistances and I would go the extra step of removing all the coil grounds at the coil and plugging J9 in. With no grounds connected at the coils, we're first seeing if some stray short is on one of the wires. See if there is anything on the gates then. If no, then start reconnecting one at a time, starting with the good ones. After each reconnect, check the FET voltage again. Tedious, but it may enlighten us.

#319 12 years ago

Ya, I can do 1 lead at a time... I have the three grounds off now, and u2 is back in... if I touch the ground back to the coil it fires... but I don't think I checked to see if the 5vdc is already on the fet with the ground off...

#320 12 years ago

Yeah, start there....with the three off, see if you have voltage on those 'bad' fets.

#321 12 years ago

I like it...
I'll take all the grounds off the p9 coils
check each coil
then plug p9 back in and check voltage at the gates until we have 5vdc...
I think it might work

ok I'll check with what I have off first... then go from there with the rest if I need to...

#322 12 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

I could remove every ground wire to every coil on p9 and go from there []

Apollo are these the J9 return wires from the 2 slings and the VUK coils?
If these are disconnected, what is the Gate to Gnd DC voltage when J9 is connected?
The gate voltages should be ~zero.

If they are then reconnect the coil return wires one at a time.
Let's say we start with the left sling return going to J9-5 first. Measure the 3 gates and see what we have with that coils return wire connected. If we have zero then reconnect the next coil, right sling, J9-6.
If we have positive voltage on the gates when J9-5 is connected, disconnect that line and then connect J9-6 and then measure the gates.

What we want to do here is isolate each return and see what happens as each is reconnected.

#323 12 years ago

Check with just the three off first as pdman suggests...no need to remove them all yet. If you get to the point of removing them all, then:

While you're lifting each ground, once the ground is off, check the resistance of the coil like pdman was asking.

So, order of operation:

Lift ground, tape it good
Check Ohms of coil
Repeat for all of them

With J9 plugged in, turn on machine, check for VDC on the Fets

If none, machine off, reattach one ground, starting with working coils

Repeat previous step

#324 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Apollo are these the J9 return wires from the 2 slings and the VUK coils

yes...
that's what I was going to check before I do anything else...
I did however touch a ground wire back to the left sling and it fired... but I didn't have a meter on it
I'm going to do that now
be back

#325 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

See if there is anything on the gates then. If no, then start reconnecting one at a time, starting with the good ones. After each reconnect, check the FET voltage again. Tedious, but it may enlighten us.

Definitely this is what we need to do. It will show us exactly when Q12, 13 and 14 get the positive voltages on their Gates!!!

#326 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

While you're lifting each ground, once the ground is off, check the resistance of the coil like pdman was asking.
So, order of operation:
Lift ground, tape it good
Check Ohms of coil
Repeat for all of them
With J9 plugged in, turn on machine, check for VDC on the Fets
If none, machine off, reattach one ground, starting with working coils
Repeat previous step

will do...
hey that was a good brainstorm we had there....

#327 12 years ago

hey guys, sorry I took so long doing this... but I have an update:
jp-p1 lt pop coil reads 10.5 ohms
jp-p2 bottom pop coil reads 10.8
j9-p4 rt pop coil reads 11.0
jp-p5 lt sling coil reads 10.7
jp-p6 rt sling coil reads 10.9
jp-p7 vuk coil reads 5.7
jp-p8 lt flipper enable coil reads 5.1
jp-p9 rt flipper enable coil reads 5.0

with all coil ground wires disconnected, and the p9 plug plugged in
I read 0 vdc at gates
Ok I'm off to reconnect 1 at a time and take a dcv reading after each
I'll be back 10:18est

#328 12 years ago

ok, started with the known good coils
reading from the bottom of the resistors, connecting 1 checking voltage, power down land another and check again...

p9 0 vdc
p8 0 vdc
p1 0 vdc
p2 0 vdc
p4 0 vdc

p6 2.481 vdc coil locks on

#329 12 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

p6 2.481 vdc coil locks on

OK, remove the P6 wire and do P5 and P7.

#330 12 years ago

When you say 0 vdc are you checking all the FETs? The way you have it listed sounds like you're only checking the vdc on the FET you're reattaching each time. The goal was to check the three bad FETs every time you reattached a new ground to see if they ever came on. We already know all the other FETs stay at 0.

#331 12 years ago

yes I checked the bottom of each resistor every time I connected 1 ground wire
as I found no voltage I left that ground on and attached another, until I got to p5

ok removed 6 and connected
p5 reads 2.800 vdc
p6 reads 0 vdc
p7 reads 0vdc

removed p5 and connected
p7 reads 4.305 vdc
p5 reads 0 vdc
p6 reads 0 vdc

at no time were the three coils in question connected at the same time
as each coil ground was connected to the coil 4-5 vdc was at each connected gate

#332 12 years ago

I can't follow what you just wrote...

Ok, I think I see....You left out connected '5' and connected '7'

#333 12 years ago

Sorry...
I detached all ground wires form all coils on the p9 plug
checked each coil with ground wire off
attached 1 ground wire at a time and checked for voltage at all p9 resistors (bottom)
I checked this way through the entire process
p9 then p8 then p1, then p2, then p4...
when I connected p5, I read o vdc, on every one but p5
disconnected p5 and attached p6 read voltage on p6 and no others
disconnected p6 and attached p7 read voltage on p7 only no others

#334 12 years ago

Okay....so no one coil is causing another. They're limited to each other.

#335 12 years ago

correct....
I was even thinking the plug itself was bad but that rules that out as well
each coil is it's own problem

#336 12 years ago

Okay, do this....remove those three bad ones

Remove one good one.

Get a length of wire to bridge from the good coil to the bad coil

Connect the good coil ground to a bad coil wire/pin using the jumper. That way we isolate coil or board again. If the good coil on the bad pin still causes that pin to lock on, then it is still board. If not, then it's the coil.

You can then use that same jumper in the opposite direction. Connect a bad coil to a good pin.

#337 12 years ago

the three bad ones are disconnected
I'll disconnect one good one and tie it to a bad one
and vice versa

#338 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Okay, do this....remove those three bad ones

Remove one good one.

Get a length of wire to bridge from the good coil to the bad coil

Connect the good coil ground to a bad coil wire/pin using the jumper. That way we isolate coil or board again. If the good coil on the bad pin still causes that pin to lock on, then it is still board. If not, then it's the coil.

You can then use that same jumper in the opposite direction. Connect a bad coil to a good pin.

Good Call!!

#339 12 years ago

ok done and it followed the board pin

removed lt pop ground wire and tied it to vuk coil
vuk ground wire to lt pop and powered up
lt pop powere up vuk did not

#340 12 years ago

I expected as such but needed to exhaust all possibilities. The only other thing to check is the wire itself as swapping them still used the bad pin wire. You can pull J9. Get a length of wire and solder one end to a coil ground. With game on, touch the wire to each J9 pin. Coil will probably come on with the three bad ones. If it doesn't then maybe you've got something shorted in the wiring bundle somewhere.

#341 12 years ago

I thought about that... if those three wires are toast...
I just did that last check with the same wire...
I'll try that now

#342 12 years ago

ok fresh wire from vuk coil ground
touched to board pins 1-9
and it only hit on 5,6, and 7
so It's def something on the baord

#343 12 years ago

Yep....Probably those caps.

#344 12 years ago

I don't see those on radio shacks web site, but I might take a ride in the am and see if they have them and do a total (all 3 coil) swap of fet, caps, and resistors...

would that cause this you think?

#345 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Yep....Probably those caps.

don't see how the caps would turn on the mosfets.
Anyways apollo you did a lot today.
I'm gonna digest what the results were tonight and tryand figure out what can be a logical explanaation.

#346 12 years ago

ya we found out alot...
the readings are off on the caps, so I'll still try and find some tomorrow.
if I do it won't hurt to put all new stuff in anyway...
worst case, this board is ONLY 450.00 bones lol :)http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-520-5137-01&Category_Code=PCP&Product_Count=7
or 250.00 for a rottendog...
http://www.ksarcade.net/stern-white-star-power-driver-board-sdb004.html
plus 18 bucks to ship...

thanks again guys for the help...

#347 12 years ago

No worst case you send it to Clive or Rob Anthony and for $85 bucks and they repair it. You don't need a new one.

#348 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

robertmee said:Yep....Probably those caps.
don't see how the caps would turn on the mosfets.
Anyways apollo you did a lot today.
I'm gonna digest what the results were tonight and tryand figure out what can be a logical explanaation.

Me either, but they are the only devices that measure non-spec. With U2 removed, the resistors surely aren't going to turn them on. The Gates are tied to the caps across ground. If a cap opens up under load, then maybe something going on there. I'm 25 years removed from my TTL/transistor classes, so I don't remember alot, but if those FETs have 50V on the drain which they do through the coil resistance, and the gate is floating, and the source is grounded, there may be some reverse saturation going on....The potential between the gate since it is floating and the source which is grounded is not 0V and so the FET turns on. It only happens when there is the 50V on the drain.

#349 12 years ago

i'M UP AND OUT ALREADY THIS MORNING ...ooops so I'm going to stop at the shack and see if they have those caps... if so the plan stands to replace all components for all 3 coils... do you guys ever sleep? your like machines lol

#350 12 years ago

no dice at the shack... no caps either

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=5043-08980-00
take a look at the description on this... I wonder if they sent me the right one
first list is uf and the description later says mf... ya i looked up by description and it comes up the same part for both a uf and an mf
I looked at ed's web page and he doesn't list the 50v caps... I'm affraid to order those form marco again...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,335 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Peosta, IA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 448 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/segastern-apollo13-coil-stuck-blown-f21-fuse-mosfet-blown-help/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.