IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6798 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6792 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6796 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6788 (resized).jpeg
ripleys2 (resized).jpg
ripleys (resized).jpg
#1 7 months ago

Hey guys, having an issue with my Ripley's.
The main issue is that the game is resetting randomly. Sometimes 20 seconds in, sometimes 5 minutes into a game.
Side issues: it's randomly scoring points. At first it would score infinite points usually on ball 3 when it pops into the plunger lane and sits on that switch (until it moves off), but doesn't do it on your first or second ball. After reseating a bunch of cables in the backbox now the first ball won't even pop up into the lane when you start a game and the monkey magnet thing starts scoring infinite points as if the ball is moving over that magnet.
Tested all the transitors on the whitestar board and none are shorted. Looked for something burnt up under the playfield, but all looks good (whole machine looks real good). Tried reseating all the cables on the CPU and Whitestar boards (made issue worse).
One more note: the last guy to own the machine cut off the ground pin on the 3 prong outlet plug (this couldn't just be a grounding issue, could it?)
Thanks ahead of time!

ripleys (resized).jpgripleys (resized).jpgripleys2 (resized).jpgripleys2 (resized).jpg
#2 7 months ago

You certainly want a ground and as far as the resets go, absolutely that could be (and likely is) the cause. However the infinite scoring is a puzzler, I would think that's caused by something else but I guess you'll find out after the ground is added.

#3 7 months ago

Let’s get that plug repaired but I doubt that is the root cause of either issue.

When you say “resets”, do you mean that the behavior is identical to flicking the power switch off and then on rapidly?

Have you noticed any display anomalies along with the “infinite” scoring? Is that scoring always increasing or is it up and then down and then up?

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

#4 7 months ago

C25 Cap looks a little funky.

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Let’s get that plug repaired but I doubt that is the root cause of either issue.
When you say “resets”, do you mean that the behavior is identical to flicking the power switch off and then on rapidly?
Have you noticed any display anomalies along with the “infinite” scoring? Is that scoring always increasing or is it up and then down and then up?

Thanks a lot Chris!
Yes, it's as if the power switch gets turned off and back on real quick. Complete power off with DMD.
The phantom scoring (I should call it that) is just like the ball is going over that switch and scoring those points over and over quickly (and with the related sounds). Points do not go back down and no other anomalies.
Thanks.

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

One more note, while it's doing the phantom scoring on the monkey magnet (latest thing it's doing), if I hold down the flipper button, the flipper will trigger and then go limp and keep trying to get back up (while making electronic buzz noise)... Must be a power issue, right? Working on the plug now.

#7 7 months ago

Issue might be opto power.
Might be a switch matrix issue too.
Get into switch test and break the idol beam. Test other switches.

Seem to behave correctly?

#8 7 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Issue might be opto power.
Might be a switch matrix issue too.
Get into switch test and break the idol beam. Test other switches.
Seem to behave correctly?

Went into service mode and it said to check tech report. Tech report says potential damaged switches. In switch test, it shows all the trough switches and the idol eye opto open (the ones also listed as potentially broken). Ball still won’t pop into shooter lane when starting a game.
And one more thing, I tested pressing on the switch in the shooter lane during switch test (because that switch was causing infinite points sometimes), and when pressing that switch in switch test mode, it activates 3 switches oddly (shooter lane, one of the tombstones, and left spinner), which kind of explains the points racking up while the ball was sitting on that switch sometimes.
Thanks.

IMG_6788 (resized).jpegIMG_6788 (resized).jpegIMG_6790 (resized).jpegIMG_6790 (resized).jpegIMG_6792 (resized).jpegIMG_6792 (resized).jpegIMG_6796 (resized).jpegIMG_6796 (resized).jpegIMG_6798 (resized).jpegIMG_6798 (resized).jpegIMG_6799 (resized).jpegIMG_6799 (resized).jpegIMG_6801 (resized).jpegIMG_6801 (resized).jpeg
#9 7 months ago

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4917/Stern_2004_Ripley_s_Believe_It_or_Not_English_Manual.pdf

Go to page 104 - Would be helpful to know which tombstone, but p104 is the switch matrix. Start tracing things on the line where you're having issues. White - grey has 2 tombstones and the shooter lane. Green - orange has 3 other tombstones and your left spinner. See if there are broken connections, things touching / shorting on the items on that row. Also -definitely fix the ground.

Also - back up to take pictures of the display. Not sure about anyone else - but I can't read any of your test results.

#10 7 months ago
Quoted from tommyp:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4917/Stern_2004_Ripley_s_Believe_It_or_Not_English_Manual.pdf
Go to page 104 - Would be helpful to know which tombstone, but p104 is the switch matrix. Start tracing things on the line where you're having issues. White - grey has 2 tombstones and the shooter lane. Green - orange has 3 other tombstones and your left spinner. See if there are broken connections, things touching / shorting on the items on that row. Also -definitely fix the ground.

Thanks for the help! It was tombstone #5, right and left spinner open when I press the shooter lane switch.
What do you mean by tracing the line and why do the colors matter? (Sorry I’m pretty new on this stuff).
Everything looks good around the shooter lane switch.
Thanks.

#11 7 months ago
Quoted from Goferkid:

Thanks for the help! It was tombstone #5, right and left spinner open when I press the shooter lane switch.
What do you mean by tracing the line and why do the colors matter? (Sorry I’m pretty new on this stuff).
Everything looks good around the shooter lane switch.
Thanks.

Take a look at the matrix. In a pinball machine basically things are daisy chained - when triggered each individual switch grounds out so the game knows what is triggered. It saves wire. So - in the one column - you have the bulk of your "problems" - left and right spinner, as well as tombstone number 5 all on green - orange. The colors matter because thats what you look for - should be a green wire with an orange line on it that connects everything in that column. If things are messing up when you flip the shooter lane switch - where the column for shooter lane and row intersect is the idol eye opto on the whtie -grey wire. So - I'd start by looking there.

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Take a look at the matrix. In a pinball machine basically things are daisy chained - when triggered each individual switch grounds out so the game knows what is triggered. It saves wire. So - in the one column - you have the bulk of your "problems" - left and right spinner, as well as tombstone number 5 all on green - orange. The colors matter because thats what you look for - should be a green wire with an orange line on it that connects everything in that column. If things are messing up when you flip the shooter lane switch - where the column for shooter lane and row intersect is the idol eye opto on the whtie -grey wire. So - I'd start by looking there.

Copy that, makes sense. Will have a look down that line now. And to confirm, I’m just looking for anything out of the ordinary like squished/damaged wire, a metal on metal potential short, burn marks, anything else?
Thanks.

#13 7 months ago
Quoted from Goferkid:

Copy that, makes sense. Will have a look down that line now. And to confirm, I’m just looking for anything out of the ordinary like squished/damaged wire, a metal on metal potential short, burn marks, anything else?
Thanks.

Ya to start - loose wires too. Bad solder joints, things touching. You'd be surprised.

#14 7 months ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Ya to start - loose wires too. Bad solder joints, things touching. You'd be surprised.

Copy, thanks.

1 week later
#15 7 months ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Also - back up to take pictures of the display. Not sure about anyone else - but I can't read any of your test results.

Alright, new plug came and replaced that. No change.
Looked under the playfield really hard at those green-orange and green-red seemingly affected lines of switches and I really don’t see anything that looks off…
The only thing on the entire under-playfield that I found that looked off was this connecter that looks slightly damaged and only has one wire going into it (don’t these usually have 2 wires)? This matrix correlates to the idol eye thing that was doing crazy point scoring so I guess it’s possible this could be the culprit. I don’t see any loose wire nearby that could have been pulled from this connector though… here’s some pictures of the little board and wires.
Thanks.

IMG_6933 (resized).jpegIMG_6933 (resized).jpegIMG_6938 (resized).jpegIMG_6938 (resized).jpegIMG_6940 (resized).jpegIMG_6940 (resized).jpegIMG_6941 (resized).jpegIMG_6941 (resized).jpegIMG_6943 (resized).jpegIMG_6943 (resized).jpegIMG_6946 (resized).pngIMG_6946 (resized).png
#16 7 months ago

Also found this old thread with a similar issue and people suggested cleaning the optos or replacing them if cleaning doesn’t work. But the other issue of the shooter lane switch scoring points remains, and someone else on that thread recommended checking the tombstone and sling leaf switches because his weren’t gapped right and caused scoring from that shooter lane switch like mine, but I don’t know what he means by them not being gapped right.
Thanks again for the help.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idol-constantly-triggering-on-rbion

IMG_6947 (resized).pngIMG_6947 (resized).png
#17 7 months ago

I’d replace that connector first. Then check your active switches to see what’s registering, then check every switch on that line for broken wiring or a broken diode.

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’d replace that connector first. Then check your active switches to see what’s registering, then check every switch on that line for broken wiring or a broken diode.

Thanks so much, I will replace that connector. Would you mind linking the right connector for me? And do you know if there’s supposed to be another wire on that connector?
And maybe you didn’t see the last post, but there are 6 switches active in the test mode. I’ll double check again for other issues like a broken diode, thanks.

#19 7 months ago
Quoted from Goferkid:

Thanks so much, I will replace that connector. Would you mind linking the right connector for me? And do you know if there’s supposed to be another wire on that connector?
And maybe you didn’t see the last post, but there are 6 switches active in the test mode. I’ll double check again for other issues like a broken diode, thanks.

It appears to be a .156 connector.

#20 6 months ago
Quoted from Goferkid:

That wire is special as it is a switched ground directly on the power board to control the idol transmit opto on and off during parts of the game. I've had a lot of issues with mine and I would suggest bypassing it while testing since it's a "special" circuit. To bypass just plug the transmit opto directly into the opto board like any of the other ones (the idol transmitter is the only special opto on the game). If you trace the transmitter from the magnet you will find it connected to a special harness to support the power and switching of the ground. This is also called out on the first page of the manual. Just unplug it from that harness and then directly into the opto board. The same spot the single wire was connected. The only down side to doing this is that instead of having to relight the idol after collecting one, it's just always on and able to collect.

On my machine, when I plug in that special wire, all kinds of strange things happen. Phantom idol hits when the transmit light is off, issues with the head magnet and spinners, all kinds of things. With the transmitter plugged directly in no issues at all with the game. I have yet to figure out why but curious if this is your issue as well.

#21 6 months ago

That connector looks fukt. And melty. Definitely replace that and look around it to see if anything else looks off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripley-s-resetting-and-scoring-points-randomly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.