(Topic ID: 330039)

Pro vs. premium

By yzfguy

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg
    Pros way to go (resized).jpg
    CE4D9100-4F04-4D07-8F28-191E54376B9B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160509_181048123 (resized).jpg
    7A5BBE60-C6AD-4D1E-8187-44CF693BB624 (resized).jpeg
    4E9EFB8C-3EC4-4409-ABBB-7257EAF89DD6 (resized).jpeg
    78v2h5 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230125-103518-645_kindlephoto-132032005 (resized).png

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Screenshot_20230125-103518-645_kindlephoto-132032005 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230125-103518-645_kindlephoto-132032005 (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

except the walking dead

#3 1 year ago

Subjective... some pros play faster w/o the extras; also less stuff to repair. But value wise pros are not typically valued to be as much as premiums.

#4 1 year ago

I can think of quite a few pros I would rather have than the premium version

#5 1 year ago

Rush Pro is more reliable than the Rush Premium.

#6 1 year ago

My boss had a Deapool LE, I have a Deapool Pro and prefer it. The pro plays MUCH faster with the stand ups instead of the drops in the lower part of the machine.

#7 1 year ago

TWD, BKSOR, & GOT

#8 1 year ago

Transformers and X-Men Pro would also like a word.

#9 1 year ago

Good job making your first meme grandpa!

PROs that are great....

TWD
    MET
    IMDN
    DP
    RUSH
    GOTG
    JP
    AIQ
    STH
    BOND
    XMEN
    KISS

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

PROs that are great....
    TWD
    MET
    IMDN
    DP
    RUSH
    GOTG
    JP
    AIQ
    STH
    BOND
    XMEN

I had a Kiss Pro and the Premium didn’t really bring anything else to the table either.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

No node board #10 blowing up, that's for sure.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

I had a Kiss Pro and the Premium didn’t really bring anything else to the table either.

Always forget about KISS, I agree and will add it to the list.

#13 1 year ago

If prices were the same I would still pick these pros over premium…

TWD
    GOTG
    DP

Oh and nice meme grandpa. doublestack Lol

#14 1 year ago

adding all these to my shopping list.

#15 1 year ago

Some Pros are total bangs for the buck and feel loaded - AIQ, TWD, IMDN, JP, TMNT, ST, GB

Some Pros become attractive when compared to its' specific Prem model upgrades - 007, Rush, LZ, Mando, BKSoR, AS, GOT, Kiss, Mustang, XM, STH, DP

Some Prem's are absolute bangers and worth the upgrade - GZ, SW, MET, TAV, ACDC

Some games suck - GOTG, Munsters, WWE

#16 1 year ago

As much as I love the subway on GB Premium/LE I detested the way it flowed in comparison to the Pro. The Magna-Slings weren't my cup of tea either. Someone recently asked me why I went Pro over Premium/LE and when I explained it he casually retorted with "Oh, so you couldn't afford it, gotcha. Dude, you ALWAYS go premium with every pin, hands down."

That kinda attitude is just lame and really weird. Some features are either not worth the higher price point or don't matter to some people. Walking Dead, Black Knight SOR and TMNT are some others I can think of. I'm sure there are many more.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Merendino:

As much as I love the subway on GB Premium/LE I detested the way it flowed in comparison to the Pro. The Magna-Slings weren't my cup of tea either. Someone recently asked me why I went Pro over Premium/LE and when I explained it he casually retorted with "Oh, so you couldn't afford it, gotcha. Dude, you ALWAYS go premium with every pin, hands down."
    That kinda attitude is just lame and really weird. Some features are either not worth the higher price point or don't matter to some people. Walking Dead, Black Knight SOR and TMNT are some others I can think of. I'm sure there are many more.

GP Prem/LE shoots like hot garbage compared to the Pro and I detest the magna slings. Both the left ramp and right ramp are much smoother/better experience on the Pro. The left ramp on the Premium feels clunky and is prone to a lot of airballs. I haven't owned either but would much rather own/play the Pro if given the choice.

#18 1 year ago
    78v2h5 (resized).jpg78v2h5 (resized).jpg
    #19 1 year ago

I explain this to my customers like this:

When Stern contracts with a pinball designer, they ask for a PREMIUM pinball experience.

Then they slap different side art, a different backglass, put better speakers and glass and a few other things on a machine, and most importantly, they put a little plaque that says 'Number 957 of 1000 ever made'. That's the 'Limited Edition', the LE model.

Then the operators who run pinballs for money say "Great, I want that for about $1500.00 less".

And they start yanking things out of the game to meet a price point.

That's the PRO.

Sometimes the things they take out aren't all that important. For the Munsters pinball and Metallica I actually think that the pro version is the better machine.

But other machines when they start yanking things out they cut too deep. Jurassic Park has a moving dinosaur head that looks left and right, it spits out a ball and flings it across the playfield. In the Pro version it's a lifeless hunk of plastic. The Premium is worth the money.

Other games, like Godzilla, the Premium is everything you want... but the Pro has some interesting play also. Without all the extra stuff on the playfield there is an interesting combo shot where you make the left ramp with the right flipper, the ball is delivered to the left flipper where you make a right ramp that delivers the ball to the right flipper where you can start over. It's very much like the boat ramp on Fish Tales, and the way the Pro plays is different, but still quite good. Now, you'd want the Godzilla Premium... but the Pro is not at all bad.

So it entirely depends on the machine.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:I explain this to my customers like this:
    When Stern contracts with a pinball designer, they ask for a PREMIUM pinball experience.
    Then they slap different side art, a different backglass, put better speakers and glass and a few other things on a machine, and most importantly, they put a little plaque that says 'Number 957 of 1000 ever made'. That's the 'Limited Edition', the LE model.
    Then the operators who run pinballs for money say "Great, I want that for about $1500.00 less".
    And they start yanking things out of the game to meet a price point.
    That's the PRO.
    Sometimes the things they take out aren't all that important. For the Munsters pinball and Metallica I actually think that the pro version is the better machine.
    But other machines when they start yanking things out they cut too deep. Jurassic Park has a moving dinosaur head that looks left and right, it spits out a ball and flings it across the playfield. In the Pro version it's a lifeless hunk of plastic. The Premium is worth the money.
    Other games, like Godzilla, the Premium is everything you want... but the Pro has some interesting play also. Without all the extra stuff on the playfield there is an interesting combo shot where you make the left ramp with the right flipper, the ball is delivered to the left flipper where you make a right ramp that delivers the ball to the right flipper where you can start over. It's very much like the boat ramp on Fish Tales, and the way the Pro plays is different, but still quite good. Now, you'd want the Godzilla Premium... but the Pro is not at all bad.
    So it entirely depends on the machine.
    I love my GZ Pro honestly don't care about the dropping building/diverter & dancing bridge I feel it slows the game down too much. Mechazilla magnet is a cool mech but not worth the extra money. IMO Pro art on BG is better. I'm happy saving the 2,500.

#21 1 year ago

Traded my GZ pro for a SW premium with no regrets. The pro version of both those games has more flow, the fancy toys slow down the play is the truth, but sometimes the toys are worth it, as in the star wars hyperloop. I personally feel the Godzilla toys, while cool, don't really add much to gameplay and just slow it too much. A really cool toy, like the JP T-Rex, is worth it; but if the toys are cool enough and the gameplay is slowed too much then the pro is a better deal. Deadpool and GoTG may fall into the category, haven't played either enough but that's what I suspect.

#22 1 year ago

Speaking to the OP’s meme “interesting” meme, I have to disagree as there is a pretty large group of Stern pro’s that are pretty damn good! Especially with Sterns new pricing scheme (cost is a factor for a lot of us) take IMDN Pro vs Prem it’s now roughly a $2700.00 difference between the two, does the premium have more features, of course $2700.00 worth of features? not to me. IMDN pro is one of a long list of games that falls into the category of a lot of bang for the buck for a pro that is available.
    4E9EFB8C-3EC4-4409-ABBB-7257EAF89DD6 (resized).jpeg4E9EFB8C-3EC4-4409-ABBB-7257EAF89DD6 (resized).jpeg

#23 1 year ago

To me your big three that go against the OPs argument when comparing the difference between the two are Deadpool, Iron Maiden, and Metallica (honorable mention for Aerosmith).

I would also see an argument for his side though with Jurassic Park, Godzilla, and AC/DC. I personally like machines that have physical ball locks or at least physically hold the balls so Star Wars would be another one where I could definitely see an argument for the upgrade to the premium.

Those are just my personal preferences on machine level though.

#24 1 year ago

For the most part (not all). People that have a pro may say it is as good or even better...(They may even never had a chance to play the others), cause that is what that is what they have...and human nature could apply for that reason..people that have a premium or LE "May" say its better then a pro cause they have more invested, again human nature applies. These could be just the base of possibilities.

No surprise here, cause too many variables could be in play with a combination of what is available, cost, what you can afford, The play difference (if any).. and the look of the cab art desired to individual you. It's just not a simple comparison.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Speaking to the OP’s very odd meme, I have to disagree as there is a pretty large group of Stern pro’s that are pretty damn good! Especially with Sterns new pricing scheme (cost is a factor for a lot of us) take IMDN Pro vs Prem it’s now roughly a $2700.00 difference between the two, does the premium have more features, of course $2700.00 worth of features? not to me. IMDN pro is one of a long list of games that falls into the category of a lot of bang for the buck for a pro that is available.

I agree on that. I think that a lot of people such as in my case have room for one or two machines and want the best playing experience for the money. Not the status symbol of dropping 10k on a premium. It’s like guitar players that look only at the headstock logo and not how it plays.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

PROs that are great....
    TWD
    MET
    IMDN
    DP
    RUSH
    GOTG
    JP
    AIQ
    STH
    BOND
    XMEN
    KISS

You forgot Godzilla.
    Also the price gap between a pro and premium is ridiculous. Bond premium/LE price is not worth it from a pro in my opinion. Talking about over $2k in price difference.

#27 1 year ago

Depends on the game and who ya ask

For me it’s as follows

IMDN … Prem
    TWD … Prem
    JP … Prem
    GZ … Prem
    ST … Pro
    Met … Pro
    AC / DC … Prem

#28 1 year ago

Mandolorian, Aerosmith, turtles, zeppelin= pro
    Game of thrones, acdc, gz = must get premium

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

My boss had a Deapool LE, I have a Deapool Pro and prefer it. The pro plays MUCH faster with the stand ups instead of the drops in the lower part of the machine.

This was going to be my exact statement. The drop targets on the Premium really slow the whole game down, not to mention balls getting stuck on top of one that’s still up when the one above it is down.

#30 1 year ago

Huh, why do you say that? The only feature I can imagine giving up on Met for a Pro would be the rising cross. It's cool, but whatever, doesn't change gameplay. The dual snake mouth, the hammer lock, the RGB arrows, all make the game better.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Huh, why do you say that? The only feature I can imagine giving up on Met for a Pro would be the rising cross. It's cool, but whatever, doesn't change gameplay. The dual snake mouth, the hammer lock, the RGB arrows, all make the game better.

I concur 100%. It's a proven fact that anyone who prefers the pro couldn't get a premium. I read it online!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The hammer obscures the ball & IMO is slightly over-rated Pro w/ Met. Add Poll!!

#33 1 year ago

Maybe the OP was talking about second hand sale prices? I agree with what everyone is saying about many pros being as fun or more than their premiums. But is there any single game where you would pay more money for a pro than the same game's premium edition? Or where you would accept the price of a game's pro edition when you were selling a premium?

I'd add Stern Star Trek to the "I'd only go for it if I somehow got it for the pro price" list. On the premium you get weird laser pointer "stars" projected on the playfield in certain modes, a floppier Vengeance, a physical outlane save instead of a virtual one, and the left scoop has a VUK that puts the ball on a habitrail that feeds the left flipper rather than just kicking out onto the playfield. The second two things at least have an effect on play, but none of them feel like something I'd pay extra to have.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I concur 100%. It's a proven fact that anyone who prefers the pro couldn't get a premium. I read it online!

Well I disagree. I sold my MopLE to get a pro

Couldn’t stand the hammer lock. I haven’t played one that works 100% if the game is set up fast like mine are

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Maybe the OP was talking about second hand sale prices? I agree with what everyone is saying about many pros being as fun or more than their premiums. But is there any single game where you would pay more money for a pro than the same game's premium edition? Or where you would accept the price of a game's pro edition when you were selling a premium?
    I'd add Stern Star Trek to the "I'd only go for it if I somehow got it for the pro price" list. On the premium you get weird laser pointer "stars" projected on the playfield in certain modes, a floppier Vengeance, a physical outlane save instead of a virtual one, and the left scoop has a VUK that puts the ball on a habitrail that feeds the left flipper rather than just kicking out onto the playfield. The second two things at least have an effect on play, but none of them feel like something I'd pay extra to have.

I don't think anyone is talking about investing here, just the games themselves. This is a pinball thread, not an investing thread.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Well I disagree. I sold my MopLE to get a pro
    Couldn’t stand the hammer lock. I haven’t played one that works 100% if the game is set up fast like mine are

My premium has been lucky enough to have a hammer that works great. Plus, I have one of the super awesome Aurich hammers, making it my favorite part of the game

IMG_20160509_181048123 (resized).jpgIMG_20160509_181048123 (resized).jpg
    #37 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

The hammer obscures the ball

Just get a slimmer hammer, solved.

7A5BBE60-C6AD-4D1E-8187-44CF693BB624 (resized).jpeg7A5BBE60-C6AD-4D1E-8187-44CF693BB624 (resized).jpeg

Quoted from acedanger:

IMO is slightly over-rated

I don't care if people love it or hate it, so over-rated doesn't mean anything to me, but I think it's fucking cool, I love creative ball locks and magnets. No way I'd want to give it up.

Dumb prices aside I want more toys and interactive features. It depends on the the game design though admittedly. I love drop targets, but I'm not sure I'd prefer my Tron Pro had them. But they're not really in a satisfying place to shoot drops, and banking the ball off the targets feels good.

Metallica's hammer feels great to me though. People love seeing it go. I admittedly thought it was too big and clunky, which is why my mod exists, it was just a personal project before people started asking me to make more. But not I have zero issues, it blocks nothing. When it slams down and the shaker goes off I feel very satisfied.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Just get a slimmer hammer, solved.
    [quoted image]

I don't care if people love it or hate it, so over-rated doesn't mean anything to me, but I think it's fucking cool, I love creative ball locks and magnets. No way I'd want to give it up.
    Dumb prices aside I want more toys and interactive features. It depends on the the game design though admittedly. I love drop targets, but I'm not sure I'd prefer my Tron Pro had them. But they're not really in a satisfying place to shoot drops, and banking the ball off the targets feels good.
    Metallica's hammer feels great to me though. People love seeing it go. I admittedly thought it was too big and clunky, which is why my mod exists, it was just a personal project before people started asking me to make more. But not I have zero issues, it blocks nothing. When it slams down and the shaker goes off I feel very satisfied.

nice work. It’s still out of proportion & like the pro more.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Yep and the shots are all the same + faster game.

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

You forgot Godzilla.
    Also the price gap between a pro and premium is ridiculous. Bond premium/LE price is not worth it from a pro in my opinion. Talking about over $2k in price difference.

Godzilla is the only premium I have and I think it's worth it for me. Mechs are fantastic.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

nice work. It’s still out of proportion & like the pro more.

I'm certainly not going to argue with you about what you like!

--

I had a Star Trek Premium. I don't really love that game in general it turns out, one of the reasons I sold it is I just found it somewhat dull in the end after owning it for a while. But I far preferred the Premium just for the RGB LED inserts, they really made the game look great and the effects on shots were awesome. Nothing about it was 'worse' in any way than the Pro, even if the upgrades were mostly cosmetic.

Is the Pro a better 'value'? Sure, if you just want to shoot the layout for less money it's totally fine, the extra stuff adds more intangibles than serious gameplay features. But if you leave money out there's no way I wouldn't want the Premium instead. Which is what I thought the point of the topic was, gameplay and enjoyment, not what you were spending.

I wouldn't pay the going price for my Metallica LE now, that's for sure!

#41 1 year ago

I put lots of $$$$ in my pros anyway so they are not for everyone

CE4D9100-4F04-4D07-8F28-191E54376B9B (resized).jpegCE4D9100-4F04-4D07-8F28-191E54376B9B (resized).jpeg
    #42 1 year ago

Not trying to argue & honestly nice work on the hammer.

Money certainly is a factor we're talking about luxury items. Similar to when you purchase a vehicle; yes are the upgrades nice but you can squeak through life cruising around without having your ass heated by seat warmers.

My point/example is if the layout is the same & the toys don't affect the ball significantly then there's little value added. Yes it's cool to have RGB colored inserts, rising cross, etc. It adds to the experience but the pro is the bigger bang for the buck layout is identical.

But a pin like Accadacca AC-DC you actually get a different variation of a layout with lower PF more flippers more to achieve. Then in that instance the premium is the bigger bang for the buck.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Not trying to argue & honestly nice work on the hammer.
    Money certainly is a factor we're talking about luxury items. Similar to when you purchase a vehicle; yes are the upgrades nice but you can squeak through life cruising around without having your ass heated by seat warmers.
    My point/example is if the layout is the same & the toys don't affect the ball significantly then there's little value added. Yes it's cool to have RGB colored inserts, rising cross, etc. It adds to the experience but the pro is the bigger bang for the buck layout is identical.
    But a pin like Accadacca AC-DC you actually get a different variation of a layout with lower PF more flippers more to achieve. Then in that instance the premium is the bigger bang for the buck.

What kind of animal would drive around with out heated seats and steering wheel?!?!

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

My point/example is if the layout is the same & the toys don't affect the ball significantly then there's little value added.

Which is why I was puzzled by people saying they don't like the extra mechanical interaction on Metallica. Anyways, not trying to beat the horse with you, if you don't like it you don't like it.

Beyond the RGB arrows giving you good game feedback, beyond the cross being a satisfying multiball start, beyond the hammer being an awesome physical ball lock, I really like how the snake is a two way switch/scoop and you don't just go into its mouth every time. Shots that change are one of my favorite things in pinball.

#45 1 year ago

In the Pro/Premium/LE era there has yet to be a pro that comes even close. I've owned about half of the games in this era and never even considered a pro. I want the complete game and the price is not relevant because the additional cost is always recovered when selling the game. The only choice is Premium vs LE.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Which is why I was puzzled by people saying they don't like the extra mechanical interaction on Metallica. Anyways, not trying to beat the horse with you, if you don't like it you don't like it.
    Beyond the RGB arrows giving you good game feedback, beyond the cross being a satisfying multiball start, beyond the hammer being an awesome physical ball lock, I really like how the snake is a two way switch/scoop and you don't just go into its mouth every time. Shots that change are one of my favorite things in pinball.

Yes they're neat for a newish Stern; but nothing even close to what Bally/Williams games in regards to mechs & interaction.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

What kind of animal would drive around with out heated seats and steering wheel?!?!

Funny you say that. I have both in my car and I never use them. Heated seats in particular make my butt sweat in 2 minutes, no thanks.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

In situations like ST Aurich I had a vision of what I wanted it to look like. Gameplay was not that different but I wanted the color scheme I pick as the premium did not float my boat. Your art package was part of that

PRO mods PREM mods
    4000 6500 Base pro I bought to average Premium price
    400. 400. ColorDmd
    175. 175 Klingon BOP mod
    25 25. Mezel explosion
    18 18 Mezel transporter
    18 18. Mezel Insignia transfuser
    200 200 Art package with translite
    18 18. Mezel spring cover
    65 65 Superbands w/colored flipper rubber
    100 100 Vengeance mod
    175 175 Stainless Speaker panel
    100 100 Shaker
    25 25 Hooked Visor
    200 25 Flashers and or Prem LEDS
    250. 250 Powdercoat to the color I want to match each art package
    50 50 Pinbits Pop and sling dress up kits
    300 0 Asteroids and ship plus shipping
    50 0 Warp ramp switch activated chaser lights
    250 70 Real work rails, metal apron and hardware, cliffys, mylar and misc
    25 25 Pincabs and mirror glazed balls
    125 125 Flipper fidelity

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

I don't think anyone is talking about investing here, just the games themselves. This is a pinball thread, not an investing thread.

Cool? I definitely wasn't talking about investing either.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Your art package was part of that

I haven't made that in years (for reasons) and I still regularly get people asking me about it. I'm glad you like it!

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-vs-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.