(Topic ID: 330039)

Pro vs. premium

By yzfguy

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg
    Pros way to go (resized).jpg
    CE4D9100-4F04-4D07-8F28-191E54376B9B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160509_181048123 (resized).jpg
    7A5BBE60-C6AD-4D1E-8187-44CF693BB624 (resized).jpeg
    4E9EFB8C-3EC4-4409-ABBB-7257EAF89DD6 (resized).jpeg
    78v2h5 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230125-103518-645_kindlephoto-132032005 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acedanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 1 year ago

Subjective... some pros play faster w/o the extras; also less stuff to repair. But value wise pros are not typically valued to be as much as premiums.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:I explain this to my customers like this:
    When Stern contracts with a pinball designer, they ask for a PREMIUM pinball experience.
    Then they slap different side art, a different backglass, put better speakers and glass and a few other things on a machine, and most importantly, they put a little plaque that says 'Number 957 of 1000 ever made'. That's the 'Limited Edition', the LE model.
    Then the operators who run pinballs for money say "Great, I want that for about $1500.00 less".
    And they start yanking things out of the game to meet a price point.
    That's the PRO.
    Sometimes the things they take out aren't all that important. For the Munsters pinball and Metallica I actually think that the pro version is the better machine.
    But other machines when they start yanking things out they cut too deep. Jurassic Park has a moving dinosaur head that looks left and right, it spits out a ball and flings it across the playfield. In the Pro version it's a lifeless hunk of plastic. The Premium is worth the money.
    Other games, like Godzilla, the Premium is everything you want... but the Pro has some interesting play also. Without all the extra stuff on the playfield there is an interesting combo shot where you make the left ramp with the right flipper, the ball is delivered to the left flipper where you make a right ramp that delivers the ball to the right flipper where you can start over. It's very much like the boat ramp on Fish Tales, and the way the Pro plays is different, but still quite good. Now, you'd want the Godzilla Premium... but the Pro is not at all bad.
    So it entirely depends on the machine.
    I love my GZ Pro honestly don't care about the dropping building/diverter & dancing bridge I feel it slows the game down too much. Mechazilla magnet is a cool mech but not worth the extra money. IMO Pro art on BG is better. I'm happy saving the 2,500.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Huh, why do you say that? The only feature I can imagine giving up on Met for a Pro would be the rising cross. It's cool, but whatever, doesn't change gameplay. The dual snake mouth, the hammer lock, the RGB arrows, all make the game better.

The hammer obscures the ball & IMO is slightly over-rated Pro w/ Met. Add Poll!!

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Just get a slimmer hammer, solved.
    [quoted image]

I don't care if people love it or hate it, so over-rated doesn't mean anything to me, but I think it's fucking cool, I love creative ball locks and magnets. No way I'd want to give it up.
    Dumb prices aside I want more toys and interactive features. It depends on the the game design though admittedly. I love drop targets, but I'm not sure I'd prefer my Tron Pro had them. But they're not really in a satisfying place to shoot drops, and banking the ball off the targets feels good.
    Metallica's hammer feels great to me though. People love seeing it go. I admittedly thought it was too big and clunky, which is why my mod exists, it was just a personal project before people started asking me to make more. But not I have zero issues, it blocks nothing. When it slams down and the shaker goes off I feel very satisfied.

nice work. It’s still out of proportion & like the pro more.

#42 1 year ago

Not trying to argue & honestly nice work on the hammer.

Money certainly is a factor we're talking about luxury items. Similar to when you purchase a vehicle; yes are the upgrades nice but you can squeak through life cruising around without having your ass heated by seat warmers.

My point/example is if the layout is the same & the toys don't affect the ball significantly then there's little value added. Yes it's cool to have RGB colored inserts, rising cross, etc. It adds to the experience but the pro is the bigger bang for the buck layout is identical.

But a pin like Accadacca AC-DC you actually get a different variation of a layout with lower PF more flippers more to achieve. Then in that instance the premium is the bigger bang for the buck.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Which is why I was puzzled by people saying they don't like the extra mechanical interaction on Metallica. Anyways, not trying to beat the horse with you, if you don't like it you don't like it.
    Beyond the RGB arrows giving you good game feedback, beyond the cross being a satisfying multiball start, beyond the hammer being an awesome physical ball lock, I really like how the snake is a two way switch/scoop and you don't just go into its mouth every time. Shots that change are one of my favorite things in pinball.

Yes they're neat for a newish Stern; but nothing even close to what Bally/Williams games in regards to mechs & interaction.

#79 1 year ago

Me & my premium

3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acedanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-vs-premium?tu=acedanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.