(Topic ID: 330039)

Pro vs. premium

By yzfguy

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg
    Pros way to go (resized).jpg
    CE4D9100-4F04-4D07-8F28-191E54376B9B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160509_181048123 (resized).jpg
    7A5BBE60-C6AD-4D1E-8187-44CF693BB624 (resized).jpeg
    4E9EFB8C-3EC4-4409-ABBB-7257EAF89DD6 (resized).jpeg
    78v2h5 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230125-103518-645_kindlephoto-132032005 (resized).png
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't made that in years (for reasons) and I still regularly get people asking me about it. I'm glad you like it!

Love it brother !!!

#52 1 year ago

I feel like a weirdo for liking TWD Premium more than Pro. The crossbow is ok, but I like the lift ramp for making the game even harder. Plus walker bombs are a game changer.

It's one of the few premium over pros that I really like and think has better gameplay.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I feel like a weirdo for liking TWD Premium more than Pro. The crossbow is ok, but I like the lift ramp for making the game even harder. Plus walker bombs are a game changer.
    It's one of the few premium over pros that I really like and think has better gameplay.

Only thing I missed on TWD premium was the lightshow during horde mode.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Only thing I missed on TWD premium was the lightshow during horde mode.

I forgot the lightshow is a lot better too. The Woodbury differences are ok? It's another way the premium is an even harder version of an already brutal game.

I like really hard games in general. And with Lyman's code that lets you quickly blow up the score if you can survive and strategize a little? Chef kiss

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't made that in years (for reasons) and I still regularly get people asking me about it. I'm glad you like it!

I would not have bought ST pro without the Aurich package. It is a major aesthetic upgrade.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I would not have bought ST pro without the Aurich package. It is a major aesthetic upgrade.

Appreciate that. If it was easy to keep making them I would have, but for obvious reasons the market for this kind of mod isn't so wild west anymore. And I respect that, but that's why I avoid doing anything with trademarks now.

#57 1 year ago

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Cool? I definitely wasn't talking about investing either.

Maybe the OP was talking about second hand sale prices?

Wasn't trying to be an ass, though it does kinda read that way now that I reread it. This is what I was referring to. I was quickly trying to point out I thought this was more of what the OP and everyone else was saying.

I agree with what everyone is saying about many pros being as fun or more than their premiums.

It's what I get for trying to quickly post in some threads at work on my lunch break.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

Wasn't trying to be an ass

Thanks, I definitely misread you

Probably because…

Quoted from CoachBacca:

It's what I get for trying to quickly post in some threads at work on my lunch break.

You and me both!

#60 1 year ago

Premiums certainly make sense for people with limited space.

I'd rather have six pros than four premiums.

#61 1 year ago

Very tired of the “pros play faster” argument. Of course pros play faster as there’s far less in them, that’s not really a plus at todays prices. Sure that pro “only” costs $7k but what are you even getting for that price? $1k per ramp and orbit?

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Very tired of the “pros play faster” argument. Of course pros play faster as there’s far less in them, that’s not really a plus at todays prices. Sure that pro “only” costs $7k but what are you even getting for that price? $1k per ramp and orbit?

For a lot of people less is better as mechs can get repetitive and often add very little to game play.

It very much depends on the game. $2700 difference today on a Stern buys a lot of mods!

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's like some people have pointed out in this thread, for a game like Deadpool, you are getting quite a lot when you compare the level drop off in it to the others. Would you at least agree that Deadpool is packed for a pro?
    Guardians of the Galaxy, Aerosmith, and Metallica also all have some of the toys still in them that you love so much. This is the point that people are arguing in this thread, for some of these games you get a decent bang for your buck and maybe the flow is also better. Some people like the games for what they are and don't like the toys as much as you do and that is something I don't think you will ever understand.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

It's like some people have pointed out in this thread, for a game like Deadpool, you are getting quite a lot when you compare the level drop off in it to the others. Would you at least agree that Deadpool is packed for a pro?
    Guardians of the Galaxy, Aerosmith, and Metallica also all have some of the toys still in them that you love so much. This is the point that people are arguing in this thread, for some of these games you get a decent bang for your buck and maybe the flow is also better. Some people like the games for what they are and don't like the toys as much as you do and that is something I don't think you will ever understand.

Big deadpool pro fan here. I think it plays way FASTER (aka better in this case) than the premium. I would not say the pro is packed for a pro, rather, the premium is unpacked for a premium. Really the only thing I kinda miss is a proper disco ball (I have the mod and its fine I guess, probably as good as the stock one) and the sculpted figures is nice. Gameplaywise I greatly prefer the pro.

Bros, spending extra money just because you can doesn't always impress me or a lot of people. I'm always a lot more impressed when I know somebody has the means and they say "yeah I got the pro because I like it better" or "I got the pro because the premium is a rip off".

I can barely stand playing Aerosmith premium, but the pro I think is somewhat enjoyable. I think Mando premium is a pile too and greatly prefer the pro (although its a snoozer too).

#65 1 year ago

You guys ever think about how little is in a game like Godzilla Pro? Two ramps, three flippers, a magnet, one pop, a scoop, and three spinners. Compare that to Deadpool Pro: two ramps, two flippers, a three bank of drops with a trip coil, four pops, a scoop, two spinners, a physical ball lock, and a control gate in the orbit. Pretty sure Deadpool has more standup targets too without actually counting them.

#66 1 year ago

“I like the pro better”
    Alright, lets take money out of the question. Theres an NIB pro and premium, so you rather take the pro? Alright, go ahead, take the pro.
    Its not like the design of a premium is how the designer intended it to be or anything.
    Sure, the premium might play slower, but more toys = more fun.

#67 1 year ago

Don't forget AC/DC(who wants to play gimmicky lower that kills flow?)

Munsters(novelty lower)

Metallica(Trump likes how 'HUGE' the hammer is-and the clunky ball lock)

Tron(sorry Daft Punk not worth an extra $7000-buy Eli kit-bam)

Jurassic Park(moving head was cool for like 10 minutes-then just a flow killer)

GOTG(who wants the big obtrusive Groot hands-fugly-Pro is a masterpiece)

GOT(monster flow with no novelties)

Beatles Gold (no I want to be a jabroni and I must get the fake limited edition Platinum with silver powder-only difference)

I could go on and on

Sometimes less is more and no- 'Pros are not for Hoes'

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

Comments like this remind me of the JJP fan boys. Just because you stuff a pinball machine with toys like a loaded baked potato-does not make a machine better. I would take TNA over WOZ any day of the week

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Don't forget AC/DC(who wants to play gimmicky lower that kills flow?)
    Munsters(novelty lower)
    Metallica(Trump likes how 'HUGE' the hammer is-and the clunky ball lock)
    Tron(sorry Daft Punk not worth an extra $7000-buy Eli kit-bam)
    Jurassic Park(moving head was cool for like 10 minutes-then just a flow killer)
    GOTG(who wants the big obtrusive Groot hands-fugly-Pro is a masterpiece)
    GOT(monster flow with no novelties)
    Beatles Gold (no I want to be a jabroni and I must get the fake limited edition Platinum with silver powder-only difference)
    I could go on and on
    Sometimes less is more and no- 'Pros are not for Hoes'

I don't think I could disagree more with these examples

#70 1 year ago

Pinside is so awesome-this meme made my day and made me literally laugh out loud-thanks Sean

Pros way to go (resized).jpgPros way to go (resized).jpg
    #71 1 year ago

Premium is the way it was intended with a small exception of tieing together pops. Still, that was the correct answer BEFORE January 1st. You simply can't take money out if it. I do want to chime in a couple misconceptions abouts DP. I do love the pro and yes it is a faster game but this is the rare exception where the premium has more flow and a completely extra mode in disco loops that is so satisfying! Also 11 drops!

#72 1 year ago

I will admit Godzilla was a tough call for Pro vs Premium-took me some time to figure it out

Playability vs features, etc. Godzilla Pro is no slouch but the overall experience with Premium tipped the scale-Godzilla premium/LE gets my vote over Pro so there is that

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

“I like the pro better”
    Alright, lets take money out of the question. Theres an NIB pro and premium, so you rather take the pro? Alright, go ahead, take the pro.
    Its not like the design of a premium is how the designer intended it to be or anything.

Am I allowed to sell the premium? If I have to keep it, then I'm going to take the one I like better whether it be pro or premium. Otherwise, no I'm not going to choose the smaller stack of money.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Am I allowed to sell the premium? If I have to keep it, then I'm going to take the one I like better whether it be pro or premium. Otherwise, no I'm not going to choose the smaller stack of money.

No, you have to keep the premium ffs.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

No, you have to keep the premium ffs.

OK so if somebody said take this free Rush pro or this ghostbusters premium NIB but you have to keep it forever, I'm taking Rush pro. Or godzilla pro. Or pretty much any other pro with only a few exceptions maybe, and those exceptions are only because I like the art and theme on Ghostbusters so much.

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

“I like the pro better”

A lot of people don't like upper playfields, that would instantly be a reason people would like the pro more than the premium. I don't understand why some people get so caught up with the "it was designed this way it has more in it argument therefore it is better." People have different taste, why is that so hard for some people to grasp?

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I’m playing to interact with the game, to make a shot and then another, and another. So yeah, faster is better, just give me the ball back.

I’m generally not interested in making a shot and then watching the game do something (mechs), or playing a mini-playfield where you literally can’t lose your ball.

If I’m at a location then sure, give me the premium because I’ve never played it before and I want to see it all. But for my home? Most of the gimmicks are tired after 10 plays. The pro is the better game in a LOT of cases if gameplay is a primary concern.

#78 1 year ago

I have seen people say Godzilla is the one worth springing for the premium, but I've been playing a lot of a Pro on location recently, and I don't think I miss the building or mechagodzilla at all. I think using the magnet to stage multiball looks more cool.

#79 1 year ago

Me & my premium

3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg3BF1F9D6-686D-4974-BBD1-A06A21DF71BE (resized).jpeg
    #80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

Nope.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

A lot of people don't like upper playfields, that would instantly be a reason people would like the pro more than the premium. I don't understand why some people get so caught up with the "it was designed this way it has more in it argument therefore it is better." People have different taste, why is that so hard for some people to grasp?

Oh that's a good one BKSOR pro for sure!!!

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

OK so if somebody said take this free Rush pro or this ghostbusters premium NIB but you have to keep it forever, I'm taking Rush pro. Or godzilla pro. Or pretty much any other pro with only a few exceptions maybe, and those exceptions are only because I like the art and theme on Ghostbusters so much.

#83 1 year ago

I think the pro version of Elvira‘s house of horrors, is better than the premium.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

I’m playing to interact with the game, to make a shot and then another, and another. So yeah, faster is better, just give me the ball back.

There is nothing wrong with this preference. I'm looking for a little more than just making shots as fast as I can personally. At least across a variety of games, it's nice to have a good title for scratching that itch.

#85 1 year ago

I'm 100% serious, Pastor

#86 1 year ago

I know you are serious, thats why its funny to me lol

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monte:

I think the pro version of Elvira‘s house of horrors, is better than the premium.

I learn something everyday. I did not know that Stern even made a pro version of this game. Wow!

#88 1 year ago

can we just agree different strokes for different folks? Rich fools love expensive toys, pinball players love flow. :-p

JK. But I do think there are three main issues.

1) Game flow is often better on a simplified pro model.

2) Some, but not all, toys actually add to gameplay and are thus worth it. Many do not.

3) Not everyone cares about "playability" in the same way.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I learn something everyday. I did not know that Stern even made a pro version of this game. Wow!

I didn’t think they make the premiums either.

#90 1 year ago

I'm enjoying some of the rationalizations in this thread. One thing for sure is there would definitely be a market for modders to replace those pesky, annoying drop targets with stand-up targets in any game which has them.

#91 1 year ago

Met pro and TWD pro are as good as the premiums.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I'm enjoying some of the rationalizations in this thread. One thing for sure is there would definitely be a market for modders to replace those pesky, annoying drop targets with stand-up targets in any game which has them.

One of the things I think that makes this hobby great is that the current models have a little something for everybody. Give me drop targets vs the standup targets 100% of the time and unless it's gifted to me I will never own a game with mono targets or bar targets (whatever we are calling those things). One of the games I was most excited about in recent years was TMNT, found out it not only had one but two of those things when it was released and it was instantly a hard no. I will play those games on location but they aren't ever going to make it through the door.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

...unless it's gifted to me I will never own a game with mono targets or bar targets (whatever we are calling those things). One of the games I was most excited about in recent years was TMNT, found out it not only had one but two of those things when it was released and it was instantly a hard no.

Yeah that's a Borg thing.

#94 1 year ago

I usually only go premium/LE. My thinking is I’d always prefer more in the game than less. However there exceptions where less is more. GB pro and BKSOR are much better pros.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's a Borg thing.

I know, the home pin models from Gomez have also used them.

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-vs-premium/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.