(Topic ID: 27942)

Pinballtoppers.com - Speaker Light Kits business change..

By Supadave

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 621 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Supadave
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
    Sample.jpg
    961029_10202779876729649_1835950397_n.jpg
    AdvertST800Sample.jpg
    startrek.jpg
    sample-390.jpg
    sample.jpg
    Screen_shot_2013-08-02_at_10.26.29_PM..png
    IMG_1528.JPG
    METLE-Speaker.jpg
    topper-lights-METLE.jpg
    image.jpg
    cp.jpg
    star_wars.jpg
    20130724_193024_resized.jpg
    20130724_193003_resized.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#179 11 years ago

Can I just throw another splitter in a chain there? Is that wise?

Splitting a splitter should work fine. I know others have used 3, 4 and 5 way splitters on that connector. Here's a thread showing one:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/molex-connectorspinshousings-for-tron-modspig-mods

Maybe that's a sign I have too much bling on this game?

No....someone's face melting is a sign that it's too much. Until that happens...bling on!

indiana-jones-face-melt_a_GIFSoup.com..gifindiana-jones-face-melt_a_GIFSoup.com..gif

1 week later
    #200 11 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

TRON pics here. Was hard to photograph nicely.

They look extra nice with the blue DMD on Tron.

#219 11 years ago
    Quoted from sensfreak:

Do these install between the grill and the speaker? I already have chrome spiders for my SM that are attached to the grills and I am hoping that I don't have to removed them to install this. Would love to get a kit. Message me if I can be added to the list.

The light kit should install fine with the chrome spiders. I would think in that case you would want the light kit between the grill and the speakers. I'm guessing it would look pretty cool with the chrome spiders and hope someone posts a pic of the light kit with them if anyone does use the kit with them.

#220 11 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Just got my kit and after a quick install ... voila:
    » YouTube video
    Great product. I am very pleased. Thank you!!

Hey...didn't I offer to send you a pic of that Playboy drop target?....but your custom target looks fine to me.

The light kit on Playboy looks great. I had it on my Playboy at Expo and the mirrored bunnies fit the machine very well. I was going to buy some matching mirror blades for it, but ended up selling the machine at the show.

The game looks nice...and send me a PM if you are interested in some pics of the target. I still have them.

#223 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sgtmax:

Can you set it to just one colour? Or does it change all the time

If you are just looking to set it on one color, there are 20 pre-set colors to choose from. You can also adjust the brightness of these 20 colors.

The 44 key remote also has 6 DIY keys that can store 6 custom colors that you make yourself by adjusting the separate red, green and blue adjustment arrows.

#224 11 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I just can't decide...or should I say we can't agree on which color to set them.

That puts the phrase "fighting over the remote" in a situation that I had never thought of before.

#231 11 years ago

With sales going live on the website tomorrow I would like to post a couple of suggestions for anyone interested.

If you have upgraded speakers in your game, be sure to read the section on the website about them. The upgraded speakers work great with the light kits, but you MAY need the longer screws to mount them.

I also suggest if you have stock speakers and think you would EVER upgrade your speakers....go ahead and order the longer screws. The style of speaker that Pinball Pro and Flipper Fidelity are both selling at this time need the longer screws. These screws are a hard to find size and I have never seen them in a hardware or fastener specialty store. If you might have a speaker upgrade in your future...paying the extra $1 to be ready is a safe bet.

My next suggestion is to try out the different mounting options if you buy an acrylic set for the light kit. It is surprising how differently the different mounting methods look with various acrylic sets. I have my Black Spider-Man mounted the standard method with the acrylic on the outside. I have my X-Men with the acrylic behind the speaker grills and I prefer others (like Family Guy) mounted with the acrylic, then the light plate and then the speaker grill and speaker. The kits are easy to install so experimenting to see what you like best is a breeze. I actually had one of my X-Men on the inside of the grill and one of the outside for a couple of days so I could decide which way I liked better.

#248 11 years ago

I assume the splitter is only necessary if you already have another mod that uses power installed on your game?

I want to get sets for lotr and sopranos. I have matt mckee and laseriffic toppers on these machines. Will I need to order splitters for my machines?

The power connection that the speaker kits use is a 3 pin connector that is above the service outlet on the right side of the game (just inside the coin door). If this 3 pin connect is being used for something in your game....you will need a power splitter to power the speaker light kit.

I do believe this is the same place that the Matt Mckee toppers grab their power from, so I am guessing you will need the splitter.

You should be able to look in the coin door and see if the connection is already being used or not.

Warning: Craptastic photo ahead. Here is a picture of the connector.

1203121721.jpg1203121721.jpg

#249 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Just placed an order for some AC/DC lightning bolts. Do you guys think they look better on the inside or outside? I'm thinking inside will be really cool.

My pick for the AC\DC lightning bolts is on the inside, but your mileage may vary.

2 weeks later
    #299 11 years ago

That's the first pic I have seen with the light kits and the chrome spiders. It looks nice. I can't tell from the picture...do you have a red DMD cover or the standard orange?

#302 11 years ago
    Quoted from sensfreak:

It is the red DMD cover. LMK, if you would like additional pics.

I was just wondering if you had the red cover and couldn't tell from the picture. I also have the red DMD cover and the Black Spider-Man acrylic design with my light kit.

The DMD covers (and the light kits) are pretty hard to photograph and get a good representation of what they really look like. I have a hard time telling if someone has the red DMD over the orange unless it's a before and after pic or the 2 different colors sitting side by side.

I usually keep my Spider-Man speaker lights set on red, but my X-Men I have set to slowly cycle through the colors. I guess it's all up to what you like and some games just seem more suited for some colors over others. If I ever get a blue DMD to put in my X-Men I expect I may stick with 1 color, but as it is now I like the color changing with it.

1 month later
    #334 11 years ago
    Quoted from planters49:

I'm considering ordering some for tron and potc. Does having the cutout in front of the speaker degrade the sound or any thing?

I have 2 kits installed myself (Black Spider-Man with Flipper Fidelity upgraded speakers and X-Men with stock speakers). I can't tell any difference in the sound quality after the kits were installed.

This, theoretically, would probably depend on the design that is ordered and how the acrylic is mounted. One thing to take into consideration is that no matter how the acrylics are mounted (in front of grill, behind grill), the light plates of the kit are adding some distance between the speaker and the acrylic design....so it isn't as if the acrylic is mounted right up against the speaker.

I can also say that we have had no complaints about sound degradation from any buyers.

#340 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Is there any way to use the DIY feature on the controller to make your own color? I tried and it did not seem to work.

Quoted from gweempose:

I couldn't figure that out either.

Choose a DIY key, for example “DIY2”, that you want to set as a custom color. Press the key
    DIY2 to get its light on (it should light up white), adjust the brightness of its Red, Green, Blue by pressing the relative arrows of “Up” and “Down” until the desired new custom color is realized. Then press the key DIY2 again, the new custom color is then stored there.

#342 11 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Well hot damn! You were right!!!! I changed the configuration today, and love it! Thanks for the tip! All I had was my IPhone 3S so sorry for the crappy photo.
    Chris

It's pretty amazing how different these look depending on what mounting style you use. It also varies a lot from design to design on how I like them mounted.

I have my X-Men behind the grill and my Black Spider-Man in front of the grill. I think I might try the BSM with the grill mounted behind the light plate like you did with your LotR to see how it looks.

#343 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I have tried the up down arrows and the DIY stays white.

When you first hit the DIY key...it should be on white. That means all 3 colors are turned all the way up. If you press and hold the "green down arrow" button the color should be a pink / purple color when the green bottoms out at 0. If you then take the red and blue all the way down the light should completely go out.

From there you can bring up each color to blend them into the custom color you want.

I'm not sure how many different degrees of brightness each color has. I would guess about 15 but it gets hard to tell when you get up to the brighter settings. Adjusting these can also be a bit tricky. Sometimes pecking the buttons seems to work good, but other times it seems like you need to hold down on the buttons a bit to get the color to change.

It can also be a bit tricky getting a color you are looking for. There are a lot of combinations when you consider each of the 3 main colors has 15ish different degrees of brightness. I hope this helps.

#359 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Take the translite off and aim the remote directly at the receiver for a test. Also, make sure the receiver has not fallen behind a speaker or the DMD. The receiver should be pointing at the translite, not down at the floor. Hope this helps.

Here's another test you can do with a remote that isn't responding. Get a digital camera (even a cheap cell phone camera) and look at the remote eye through the screen. Then press a button on the remote while looking at the eye. You should be able to see it light up on the screen when the button is pressed. If it doesn't light up....it's probably the battery or the remote.

I did have an issue where a new remote didn't seem to work. I then removed the battery and reinstalled it. The remote then started working fine. The battery was originally installed fine and everything and I don't know what taking the battery out and back in would have done....but that took care of the issue.

1 week later
    #387 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Got my kit installed on TRON LE tonight. Easy installation, took maybe 15 minutes and the blue color is a spot on match for the blue DMD from Xpin. Professionally constructed product, build quality of spacer/LED bracket was much more than I expected. I will say I am very happy with the purchase.

Looks great. I keep thinking of getting a blue DMD for my X-Men LE (Wolvie Edition), but not until I decide if it's a keeper (or a semi-keeper) for me. It looks great on Tron.

So anyone out there have a light kit installed in a Hulk LE that can snap some pics? I want to see some green speakers and DMD.

1 month later
    #435 11 years ago
    Quoted from Leachdude:

What is the ETA for the next batch?

This is a post I hate to see. Not of any fault of yours, but ours.

I never wanted to get into a "batch" system of selling things. My guess is we will be back in stock within 2 weeks and hopefully stay in stock from there on out.

In the beginning I didn't mind so much, being out of stock, as we were just getting started and getting a system worked out to get the kits done. We have had an unexpected hard time with one of our parts suppliers (soon to be ex-parts suppliers), but I am very hopeful it will be smoother going with our new source.

I look forward to always having kits in stock and someone looking to buy one not having to catch them at the right time. We are also working on new designs and design ideas and hopefully have some other new things that people will be interested in soon. Thanks for your patience.

1 month later
    #466 11 years ago

I put a kit in my friend Mark's Rolling Stones LE this weekend. It looks really nice with the painted grills of the LE mounted behind the light plates. It makes me wish I knew someone with a Stern NBA to try it on.

Stones_panel.jpgStones_panel.jpg stones_white.jpgstones_white.jpg

#480 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

How about Godzilla?

Godzilla will work with our current Stern kit that we have been selling. Along with other late Sega games Lost in Space, South Park and Harley-Davidson (Harley even has an acrylic design).

#481 11 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Will you be at the Allentown show?

No, sorry.

We haven't had a chance to make it out and setup at any shows yet. We were planning on hitting the Ohio Show and see how setting up a booth worked out. Unfortunately we run into quite a supply problem then and didn't get a chance to set up.

Hopefully we will be able to make it out to a show eventually (to set up or at least make some pre-purchased deliveries), but as of now we don't have anything planned.

1 week later
    #493 10 years ago
    Quoted from beagle1:

any idea when the Family Guy acrylics will be in stock again?

They are showing as being in stock. Was there a problem during checkout?

#498 10 years ago
    Quoted from beagle1:

yes...when I checkout with paypal it says "We're sorry, the following item(s) isn't available at this time"

I'm not really familiar with the websites checkout system. I see it has now been updated to being on backorder. Sorry for the delay. They will be back.

#500 10 years ago
    Quoted from Supadave:

This just rolled into my email and I had to share it. Looks great!

I was talking to a Transformers (Combo) LE owner about this by PM. I explained what would have to be done to get one side purple and one side red, but I don't think he ever decided to do it. I'm glad someone finally did.

I figured it would look nice. It's good to see one and I'm also glad to see it looks as great as I thought it would.

Now he just needs to figure out how to get a split purple / red DMD.

#509 10 years ago
    Quoted from Supadave:

Kits will be back in stock on Friday at the latest. One of our suppliers had a slight delay.

I hate when that happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1ytCEuuW2_A

1 month later
    #515 10 years ago
    Quoted from ronlisa:

When will you have the Stern Speaker light kits available again?
    I would like to order one for my Metallica LE and some inserts for other machines.

We have been having problems from multiple parts suppliers the past couple of months. We have been slowly getting parts in, but these have been tied up with orders to other re-sellers. We believe we have the parts issues resolved and should be back in stock (hopefully for good) in 2 - 3 weeks.

Our intention with these kits has always been to keep them in stock and not sell them in a "batch" system. If people want them...we want to sell them to them. There have just been more bumps in the road to doing this than we expected.

If you sign up for the mailing list at PinballToppers.com an e-mail update will be sent out as soon as we get them back in stock.

Kits for most DE / Sega games should be ready at that time also.

1 week later
    #520 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Just waiting for the base light kits to come back in stock at PinballToppers

Thanks for your patience. I think you may be the first one with a Striker Xtreme kit.

#523 10 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

Any update on when the actual light mount will be in stock?

We should be back in stock by mid to late next week (7-12-13).

1 week later
    #554 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Today, on Pimp My Striker Xtreme:

Hmmm? What do you know? They're little footballs. (in most of the world anyway).

EDIT: Skip to 2:22 as pinside doesn't seem to link to youtube vids part of the way through.

#557 10 years ago

I would also like to mention a couple of resellers carrying Pinball Toppers speaker light kits:

Pinballcenter in Europe:

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/pinball-modding-speaker-light-kit-c-226_346.html?language=english

This should really help with shipping costs for any Europeans that are looking to order kits.

and Flipper Fidelity:

http://flipperfidelity.com/products.php?cat=Speaker%20LED%20Light%20Kits%20for%20Stern%20machines&itemId=161

If you are upgrading your speaker system, you might want to dress them up with a light kit and matching acrylics.

1 week later
    #567 10 years ago

Next up is the earlier Data East games (Back to the Future - Hook) and also some later Sega games. Then we look into the Sega Showcase cabinets.

They should all work fine. It's just a matter of getting the proper mounting hardware, power cables and instructions on mounting them.

PS: I have speaker light kits in my Black Spider-Man, Checkpoint and X-Men LE Wolverine and the Checkpoint kit is the most impressive looking in my opinion.

#582 10 years ago

Tommy looks nice lit up. The white looks great, but I know it can be hard to judge from pictures sometimes.

Were there any surprises with the painted grills? What I mean is, I have seen several DE speaker grills lit up. All of them look nice and are much more noticeable than stock, but there have been a couple of them that have really surprised me with what colors on the grills pop out.

If Checkpoint is lit blue it makes the orange check mark in the middle of the grill look like it is 3D and sticking out away from the rest of the grill.

On WWF the border around the logo seems to glow when lit with certain colors.

1 week later
    #590 10 years ago
    Quoted from action76:

Dave, not that I am questioning you, but I was wondering something. Why does the Goldeneye need the power adapter even if it is not an aftermarket PS. Just wondering what is different about that game.
    Thanks.

Apollo 13 and Goldeneye were the first 2 Sega/Stern Whitestar games and the only 2 to not have the 12v harness in the front of the cabinet (near the coin door on the right side of the cabinet).

Apollo 13 and Goldeneye are the only 2 games that are caught in the point between the games having a separate power board with test point loops (which our standard DE / Sega power cables use) and later games having the 12v harness at the front of the cabinet that every Sega / Stern game has had since Twister.

#597 10 years ago
    Quoted from cmproductions:

Installed my tron discs yesterday and had to order kits for my TF, IJ4, and Avengers too!!! I want one for my Metallica and Shadow now. !!!

Looks good. You gotta love that Tron translite.

I don't think I've seen any pics of an IJ4 kit installed. It would be appreciated if you can.

2 months later
    #610 10 years ago

I great picture of the Star Trek kit taken by Orange Photography at Expo last week.

http://bit.ly/1ifdq1f

5 months later
    #611 10 years ago

Time to do a bump on this old thread.

Here's a nice high quality picture a customer sent of our newest design. Censored (shown here) and uncensored can both be found here:

http://pinballtoppers.com/STERN.html

961029_10202779876729649_1835950397_n.jpg961029_10202779876729649_1835950397_n.jpg
    3 weeks later
    #620 10 years ago
    Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

I assume I need the mounting kit like ST ?

Mustang (Pro) would use the same mounting hardware as Star Trek (LE).

I'm anxiously awaiting to see if the Mustang Premium or LE use something different for the speaker mounting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DugFreez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballtopperscom-new-product-light-kits?tu=DugFreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.