Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

Is the high score circuit only going through the 10K score unit and the 100K relay? It doesn't involve the 1K score unit? That would mean that you can only set replays to be awarded at exact 10K increments, is that right? I only ask because you didn't say anything about checking the 1K score unit circuit board and wiper.

You also didn't say anything about checking the plug board that is used to set the specific replay scores. Have you checked all the jones pins and the sockets on the replay plug board to ensure there is no failed connection there?

The other suggestion I have is to jumper around stuff - for example, jumper around the 10K score unit circuit board, to see if the problem is that the wiper isn't making good contact on the foil side of the board.

- TimMe

#6 7 years ago

Ugh, these types of faults are always frustrating. Sorry I don't have a schematic so I can't offer any specific suggestions.

It sounds like you've been over all the stuff that I would have looked at without having a schematic for guidance. What I would do next is to get a schematic and to go over the circuit very carefully to make sure I didn't miss anything in the circuit that may be causing a problem.

If that doesn't find it, the next thing I'll do is jumper around sections of the circuit, one section after another, until the problem goes away. Then at least I will have narrowed down the location of the fault.

It's VERY rare but wires can get broken in the harness itself. In my experience this is always due to stress on the harness during servicing, either by being pulled too much while handling a relay or stepper, or by being accidently pinched somewhere. The jumpering technique will find these kinds of problems. It's tedious, but it works.

- TimMe

#9 7 years ago

Sounds like you are on the right track. From the 25 VAC supply rail (all the way on the right side of the page) if the first switch you hit is an N.O. switch on the 10K score unit, then you can jumper from that switch directly to the add coil of the replay unit. Of course you want to jumper to the coil lug that does NOT have the black wire soldered to it. The black wire is always the direct return to the transformer, so if you jumper to that you will just blow the 25 VAC fuse.

If the above is true then one side of the switch on the 10K unit should energize the coil all the time. The other side of the switch should energize the coil when you index the score unit and the switch closes.

If the fault does show up in the switch, then you might have a contact point on one of the switch blades that is loose. I know the points are very small on this switch but you should still be able to tell if one of them is loose. If you suspect a loose contact point, you can usually re-affix it to the switch blade by squeezing it with a pair of vice-grips. Be sure to protect the face of the contact point with a flat metal piece (like an old switch blade) so you don't damage it with the serrated jaw of the vice-grips.

- TimMe

#12 7 years ago

Great, glad you got it fixed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-jacks-open-headaches?tu=timme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.