(Topic ID: 21614)

Johnny Mnemonic & Demolition Man Please help a NOOB!!!

By PorkChopExpress

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by romulusx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“JM or DM? Which to buy”

• Johnny Mnemonic 4 votes
    25%
  • Demolition Man 12 votes
    75%

(16 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

What is a good/fair price for these pins in working ok condition.
Which of these pins would you buy and why?
Please be a little specific as I'm new to this and looking for my first pin.
Thanks everybody!

#2 11 years ago

Both are excellent choices. Demo man can be bought for $1500-$1800. Johnny prices are all over the place. Out here they are around $2000. But I think typically you can get one for $1500 or so if you search and are patient. Im not so I'd be paying closer to $2000

Demo man is difficult but has great flow and combos. Johnny is very fast moving also good flow. But the glove slows things down a bit. Still it's decent.

In the same price range is my preferred choice, Getaway. In my collection which contains some pretty respected titles, getaway remains one of my favorites. In fact, I enjoy it more than any of my A list Williams games.

All three are great games though. You should be able to find them and play them. Johnny is the hardest of the three to find but still not too rare. Go play each and see.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks markmon
All comments welcome. I'll check back tomorrow. All help/comments appreciated.

#4 11 years ago

Never played jm but Demoman is my top 5 that I've played, I'd never get rid of it unless its for the four others I like better lol

#5 11 years ago

DM is a great, under rated game. If it wasn't for the theme, it'd be an A list game going for probably double what it does. Likely my next pick up, and definately a bang for your buck pin.

If the back glass really bothers you, there are a couple alternates available. But I'd keep the original.

#6 11 years ago

my opinion: JM sucks compared to DM.

#7 11 years ago

Johnny was my first pin, and I still absolutely love it. Great shots, tons of speed, and a lot of different things to do. There are a couple of nice hidden surprises as well.

Demo Man is also a great machine. It's a widebody, so it plays a bit differently (read: slower) than JM. Lots of multi-ball action, and the novelty of the gun handles is unique to this game.

You can't go wrong with either choice! And yeah, I'll second the $1500 range for either title....

Later,
EV

#8 11 years ago

JM is a great game. Very fast and lots of different modes. $1500 is right on the money even if it has cab fade (90% of them do).

#9 11 years ago

Demo can be found in the 1200 range and Jm is around 1400. Both come up a lot for sale so they are not keepers but great starter pins in my opinion. They are both a lot of fun but I prefer JM to DM

#10 11 years ago

JM is one of the fastest pinballs ever made. I'm not sure why collectors do not flock too it. I have one and no other game except maybe the new X-men comes close to the speed of JM

Demo Man is ramps and combo nirvana.

That's a tough choice. Demo Man weighs more and is harder to transport. JM the glove can be finicky.

If you love ramps Demo Man is the game

#11 11 years ago

Demo Man - Ramp fest - $1300 - $2000

JM - modes and glove toy - $1000 - $1600

I'm bias as I loved the Demo Man movie when I was a kid. Pricing varies.. as I was looking for a DM in chicago area i saw from beat up from $1300 to freshly shopped with upgrades at $2500.

#12 11 years ago

Both games are really fun to play and have great playfield layouts, but the software is really weak
on both titles.

The scoring is grossly unbalanced on both games.

JM you can achieve spinner millions and just wail away on the spinner, nothing else in the game
even comes close scorewise.

DM the claw is pretty much pointless because all you want to do is lock another ball because the
'modes' if you can call them that aren't worth playing compared to just going threw the multiballs
over and over again.

#13 11 years ago

Tough call...I own both of these machines and each are fun in their own way. I think most of the opinions given here are spot on. You can't go wrong with either game. A lot of JM's have faded cabinets. Neither game has plastics available if I'm correct?

I'd give the edge to DM though because it's a widebody, and a lot of the shots are very satisfying. The car crash toys are also a unique feature, as well as the handle flippers. DM also has callouts done by Stallone and Snipes, and not voice actors (like JM). Let us know what you decide to get!

#14 11 years ago

For me, it is JM over DM. JM is just so damn fast! SO FAST! DM is cool, too. Really, you can't go wrong.

#15 11 years ago

DM has stayed in my collection for a year and JM only stayed a month or two. I like DM's claw, but hate JM's hand. Not sure why. I actually like the theme of DM, but dislike the JM theme... probably because of the call outs. To be honest, I probably didn't give JM a fair shot. DM is an awesome widebody though.

#16 11 years ago

I haven't played enough JM to give a fair assessment, but DM is a blast. I have seen several come up for sale for under $1500 within the past 6 months. With the way prices are that is a steal in my opinion due to the sheer fun factor in DM. I'm happy with mine.

#17 11 years ago

JM is bad ass,the glove adds a layer of strategy to the game
When the ball is pulled up you must watch DMD and catch extra
ball or other prize and drop it like it's hot on the matrix. Umm Re theme?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 29.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 81.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-demolition-man-please-help-a-noob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.