Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 294 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2892.gif
    statler-and-waldorf-argue-about muppets pinball.gif
    IMG_1682 (resized).jpeg
    bb555 (resized).png
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    Pinside_forum_7842208_3625839 (resized).png
    IMG_0474 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Steve Ritchie nov2014.jpg
    images.jpeg-55 (resized).jpg
    matrix pinball (resized).jpg
    The_Keymaker (resized).jpg
    6609333A-D827-473D-8EFE-7B85FF0552C0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1935 (resized).png
    972A6900-35D6-475D-9DAE-C8746047803A.gif
    There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 9 months ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

"They do nothing but power money grabs (see GNR mid-run price hike)... and actively find ways to screw the customer out of even more money.

Don't forget the dedicated distributors that they shorted machines so they could sell direct. Talk about burning bridges....

#102 9 months ago

I think that JJP is done with Disney after the TS4 thing. They are going after WB and Universal licenses and maybe other entertainment. Indy Jones will be done by stern if they decide to. JJP might be doing the remakes with PPS since CGC is not doing them anymore.

#103 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jaytech10:

I think that JJP is done with Disney after the TS4 thing. They are going after WB and Universal licenses and maybe other entertainment. Indy Jones will be done by stern if they decide to. JJP might be doing the remakes with PPS since CGC is not doing them anymore.

I think after the poor performance of Dial of Destiny, Stern likely will pivot. Not that people don't still love the original films, but you're going to have a tough time beating TPA. They tried once and failed. Move on.

#104 8 months ago
    Quoted from JH315:

I think after the poor performance of Dial of Destiny, Stern likely will pivot. Not that people don't still love the original films, but you're going to have a tough time beating TPA. They tried once and failed. Move on.

Actually, they didn't try to beat the Williams version, nor did they fail (sales-wise). 2008 was the leanest of the lean years. It's when Stern laid off a lot of people and took on investors just to stay afloat. So, yeah, the game isn't great, but believe it or not it was one of their best selling games. They made a ton of them. The license sold the game.

Anyway, they may not do the theme again, but not because they didn't make money before or because they lack the talent to top the original. I'd love to see them turn Elwin loose and give him the bigger budget of today to see what he would do with it. I'm sure it'd be amazing.

#105 8 months ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

. So, yeah, the game isn't great, but believe it or not it was one of their best selling games.

Same as South Park & pretty much the same rules

#106 8 months ago

This would be a cool theme. They could make it have the same vibes as Tron or Stranger Things, dark, neon, UV, etc. But nobody would buy a Matrix 4 movie pin. It would have to be the original trilogy only. Same for Indy, original trilogy only. Nobody likes the new stuff coming out of Hollywood and they need to learn lessons from being forced to use Toy Story 4. They should have just said no and gone on to something else.

#107 8 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Matrix would be cool, but John Wick would be cooler.

Both? Both.
    More Keanu please. Point Break and Bill & Ted after Matrix + John Wick.

#108 8 months ago

also I was reading an old Play Meter magazine (1981) and saw this. Not terribly relevant, but I don't know where else to post it
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#109 8 months ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Both? Both.
    More Keanu please. Point Break and Bill & Ted after Matrix + John Wick.

Bill & Ted would make a great pin, plus it'd be easy to make callouts for; they yelled just about everybody's name at some point in the movie and always had simultaneous reactions to things.

#110 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jaytech10:

JJP might be doing the remakes with PPS since CGC is not doing them anymore.

I don't keep up with all the threads here, so I must have missed this, but when did CGC say they weren't going to remake anymore games?

#111 8 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I don't keep up with all the threads here, so I must have missed this, but when did CGC say they weren't going to remake anymore games?

We've heard CGC staff making this claim. Best to take with a grain of salt. They've made claims of "no more MMr runs" and then, a year later, made more of them. MM, AFM and MB have sold well - probably better than Cactus, given CC asking prices for SEs are ~$8K and the MB asking prices on SEs are ~10K, AFMse is ~$11K and MMse are north of that.

From what I can tell, Pulp Fiction hasn't set the world on fire.

That being said, if CGC or Stern make another QT film, Kill Bill, that's the only theme I'd potentially buy sight unseen.

#112 8 months ago

Would you buy Kill Bill if it was a single level game with segmented displays and no LCD? That's probably what QT would want again.

Quoted from Nicholastree:

We've heard CGC staff making this claim. Best to take with a grain of salt. They've made claims of "no more MMr runs" and then, a year later, made more of them. MM, AFM and MB have sold well - probably better than Cactus, given CC asking prices for SEs are ~$8K and the MB asking prices on SEs are ~10K, AFMse is ~$11K and MMse are north of that.
    That being said, if CGC or Stern make another QT film, Kill Bill, that's the only theme I'd potentially buy sight unseen.

#113 8 months ago

Really ?

Quoted from Jaytech10:

JJP might be doing the remakes with PPS since CGC is not doing them anymore.

April 1st already ?

LTG : )

#114 8 months ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Would you buy Kill Bill if it was a single level game with segmented displays and no LCD? That's probably what QT would want again.

No. I'd pass on that. I want a KB pin that is full-blown high tech and video rich. Something with a lot of verticality and acrobatics (think AIQ's Captain Marvel ramp and Stark Tower magna grab, Foo's right orbit to upper PF, etc.). Game should definitely have a great mech or two.

Regarding PF: I don't think QT would set the same conditions for a KB pin. Pulp Fiction was a retro movie of sorts. QT said he wanted something that fit with it. But Kill Bill? That's not a retro movie, unless you want to focus on QT's western-style shots patterned after John Ford at the church or Pai Mae's Hong Kong style shots during the training sequences. The tone is really set by Bruce Lee's Game of Death jumpsuit. QT used high-wire techniques for martial arts scenes like the battle with Crazy 88s. Then there's the Japanese anime approach for O-ren Ishi's backstory. A masterpiece of directing with the Bride being buried alive. It goes on and on.

Between the two volumes, there's a lot to draw from for use in a pin. But it isn't a retro-feeling movie. Nostalgic? Yes, for those that love those old "Kung Foo Theater" films. But not retro. And a pin based on KB could be exceedingly innovative.

#115 8 months ago

Uh... Yah. Really.

Speaking for myself, I don't have any interest in paying $8k for a pinball machine with the same basic playing experience as another that costs $2K. IMO, it was a mistake for CGC to accept QT's conditions on game design.

#116 8 months ago

it was a mistake for CGC to accept QT's conditions on game design.

You need to get this straightened out a little bit.

I think you might mean QT was involved with decision making with Play Mechanix Pinball ( Raw Thrills ).

CGC is just going to build them. Play Mechanix Pinball did the design and software.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with PPS/CGC remakes, or other CGC pinball machines in the future.

#117 8 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You need to get this straightened out a little bit.
    I think you might mean QT was involved with decision making with Play Mechanix Pinball ( Raw Thrills ).
    CGC is just going to build them. Play Mechanix Pinball did the design and software.
    And this has absolutely nothing to do with PPS/CGC remakes, or other CGC pinball machines in the future.

I'm confused here... I thought for sure I had watched a video on the making of the Pulp Fiction pinball and somebody in that video (the artist?, Mark Ritchie?) insisted that Quentin Tarantino insisted that the game be a design from an earlier era in which the movie was depicted. I distinctly remember it being said that QT basically chose the art to be used. They said they were originally going to use the poster art but QT said 'no' and wanted something different. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how what was said in the 'making of' video.

#118 8 months ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

I'm confused here... I thought for sure I had watched a video on the making of the Pulp Fiction pinball and somebody in that video (the artist?, Mark Ritchie?) insisted that Quentin Tarantino insisted that the game be a design from an earlier era in which the movie was depicted. I distinctly remember it being said that QT basically chose the art to be used. They said they were originally going to use the poster art but QT said 'no' and wanted something different. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how what was said in the 'making of' video.

I believe part of that is accurate, but I believe QT said no to the poster and asked if they wanted QT to get one of his artists to do the back glass. PMP said no we will handle it and did.

#119 8 months ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

You're right .
    Nicholastree said it was a mistake for CGC to accept Quentin Tarantino's conditions on game design .
    LTG was just pointing out it was Play Mechanics dealing with Quinton Tarantino not CGC .

#120 8 months ago

Way off track, but I hope CGC continues to remake the classics. Give me a whitewater, tales, Addams, etc… yes slower than everyone likes, but they make a really great product. And I’m excited for Pulp and believe it outsold their expectations.

Back on track, how will they implement bullet time with a pinball….

#121 8 months ago

Uh... Yah. Really.
    Speaking for myself, I don't have any interest in paying $8k for a pinball machine with the same basic playing experience as another that costs $2K. IMO, it was a mistake for CGC to accept QT's conditions on game design.

I mean the LE sold out almost instantly in a market where we’ve seen slower demand, so while you’re not interested, this is clearly a massive success.

1 week later
    #122 8 months ago

Maybe the rumor was a new JJP pin using a dot matrix display.

1 month later
    #123 7 months ago
    IMG_0474 (resized).jpegIMG_0474 (resized).jpeg
    #124 7 months ago

Code to be completed in 2032

#125 7 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Code to be completed in 2032

As we've discussed that will be an interesting angle to watch.
    SR usually gets his shit done but I guess it isn't SR actually doing it. So how much is he involved...whom knows. I have to believe it won't be anywhere near as bad as whatever & whomever is doing Eric's games....but that's just a wild guess.

#126 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

As we've discussed that will be an interesting angle to watch.
    SR usually gets his shit done but I guess it isn't SR actually doing it. So how much is he involved...whom knows. I have to believe it won't be anywhere near as bad as whatever & whomever is doing Eric's games....but that's just a wild guess.

I don't think it will matter unless the coders want to work for free. I'm assuming that the company just moves on to save money.

#127 7 months ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't think it will matter unless the coders want to work for free. I'm assuming that the company just moves on to save money.

It seems theyre good at making a large convoluted picture of the modes & 14 wizard modes than actually implementing them

#128 7 months ago

Excluding Homebrew, Matrix = untapped title. Not just untapped but 4 movies worth of material to pull from. However, I see the same talking points of licensing coming up a lot lately. OK, I'll give credence to it but at what point does a manufacturer walk away from it? I'm sorry but if I owned a pin company, if I couldn't make a pin that I was positive we had done everything possible to give the best possible experience I would just walk away. I'm still chapped at JJP for using TS4 instead of the whole ICONIC TS series. No offense meant towards current owners.
    Stern pulled off GOT, LOTR. A TV show and a movie trilogy. BOTH of those licenses absolutely had to have a HEAVY ass price tag associated and yet here they are which makes me raise an eyebrow when someone talks about licensing cost.
    Falling short of Harry Potter (quickly ducks) I think there's a very strong argument to be had that the manufacturer are more concerned with profit than the love of the product they sell. (also same mentality for code updates)

Sort of off topic - but what I REALLY want to see is these companies STOP hiding their next title release. Do they seriously think hiding next title release improves sales? I whole heartedly don't not in the very least! Do they think a Pinside hype thread on "vaporware" will boost sales? I truly don't get it.

#129 7 months ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Excluding Homebrew, Matrix = untapped title. Not just untapped but 4 movies worth of material to pull from.

No, no, no! Do not give us a Matrix pin version of Toy Story 4. Original movie theme/assets or bust!

#130 7 months ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Sort of off topic - but what I REALLY want to see is these companies STOP hiding their next title release. Do they seriously think hiding next title release improves sales? I whole heartedly don't not in the very least! Do they think a Pinside hype thread on "vaporware" will boost sales? I truly don't get it.

I think it's a mixture of reasons.

First and foremost, Stern doesn't say jack until the game is done and released. Seems to work for them just fine as each new title practically sells out everywhere. Other companies see this and want that same level of excitement and sales, so they follow suit.

If a company were to announce a title long before it was done, pretty much everybody out there would race to line up on one side or the other: love or hate. Then all the preemptive judgments would flow in, long before most of the keyboard warriors could play one, let alone see one in person. The public would essentially have its mind made up long before the pin ever saw the light of day. Look at all the damage these people did to POTC. It's actually a great game that I got to play a few times to try and figure out why all the people online seem to hate it. I have no clue, I loved it. But because of all the hate that was spewed online about it, JJP just said screw it, and stopped production on it and vowed to never remake it just to spite those online folks.

Most of the time, though, it's already well known weeks to months in advance of any company's release, what the title is going to be. So it's really not a huge deal.

1 month later
    #131 6 months ago

Kman said 100% Matrix is next.

#132 6 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Not sure which pill to swallow with that information.

#133 6 months ago

This entire thread was based on another lie from Kantname em. What a waste of everyones time and he is laughing his socks off reading it. When will you ever learn?

#134 5 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

This entire thread was based on another lie from Kantname em. What a waste of everyones time and he is laughing his socks off reading it. When will you ever learn?

I didnt say it was gospel, calm down.

#135 5 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

So then it will be an Eric Meunier game?

#136 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

So then it will be an Eric Meunier game?

Should be.
    Easy pass.

#137 5 months ago

For you because of the Matrix theme?

#138 5 months ago

Damn,JJP with back-to-back-to back shitty theme

#139 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

For you because of the Matrix theme?

Matrix could be really cool. I'm out on any Eric game.

#140 5 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Matrix could be really cool. I'm out on any Eric game.

Curious what it is about his design choices you that don’t appeal to you. I’m neither here or there about them overall.

#141 5 months ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Curious what it is about his design choices you that don’t appeal to you. I’m neither here or there about them overall.

Two of Eric's games, Pirates and GNR, are for some reason the most incomplete and unpolished JJP pins. Owners have been waiting for literally years to see those games finished.

Owners waited 700+ days for a meaningful GNR code update and all we got was an audio equalizer...

#142 5 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Two of Eric's games, Pirates and GNR, are for some reason the most incomplete and unpolished JJP pins. Owners have been waiting for literally years to see those games finished.
    Owners waited 700+ days for a meaningful GNR code update and all we got was an audio equalizer...

This is part of it. They are also really uninteresting games to me. Layouts & rules.

#143 5 months ago
    Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

This would be a cool theme. They could make it have the same vibes as Tron or Stranger Things, dark, neon, UV, etc. But nobody would buy a Matrix 4 movie pin. It would have to be the original trilogy only. Same for Indy, original trilogy only. Nobody likes the new stuff coming out of Hollywood and they need to learn lessons from being forced to use Toy Story 4. They should have just said no and gone on to something else.

Tell us where the Disney executive hurt you.

#144 5 months ago

Since I've been absent for many years now, sold my collection and went with virtual pinball for a while, what's the concensus on JJP pinball machines as in the fun factor?

#145 5 months ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Since I've been absent for many years now, sold my collection and went with virtual pinball for a while, what's the concensus on JJP pinball machines as in the fun factor?

Depends on who you ask.
    1.) JJP haters say fun, quality and support not worth the price
    2.) JJP lovers say best on the planet and you should own all of them
    3.) Stern fan boys say zero
    4.) Then the rest say it's pinball, if you connect with it buy it.
    5.) Then I say the pinboom is in a price correction phase due to over stock and thanks to Stern dropping their mandatory pricing JJP won't have much of a choice but to follow suit so either wait or essentially buy two Sterns for the price of one JJP LE. Interesting times!

#146 5 months ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Depends on who you ask.
    1.) JJP haters say fun, quality and support not worth the price
    2.) JJP lovers say best on the planet and you should own all of them
    3.) Stern fan boys say zero
    4.) Then the rest say it's pinball, if you connect with it buy it.
    5.) Then I say the pinboom is in a price correction phase due to over stock and thanks to Stern dropping their mandatory pricing JJP won't have much of a choice but to follow suit so either wait or essentially buy two Sterns for the price of one JJP LE. Interesting times!

6. or you can buy a Stern LE for $1k more then a JJP LE.

#147 5 months ago

Should have gone with the Matrix instead of Elton John. Bad decision.

#148 5 months ago

When will their new game be announced?
    Still this year?

#149 5 months ago
    Quoted from Faust:

When will their new game be announced?
    Still this year?

It was announced a few weeks ago at expo.
    It's Elton John, designed by Steve Ritchie.

#150 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Should have gone with the Matrix instead of Elton John. Bad decision.

If they would have, then certainly would have already had my money.

There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-rumor-steve-ritchie-s-the-matrix/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.