(Topic ID: 27142)

Is X-Men's code too hard and therefore not fun for the average player to enjoy?

By Shapeshifter

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Donnyman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

The influx of people saying Villians are too hard is also largely from the newer people to the hobby it seems. Imho anyway.

That is not accurate IMO. I've heard plenty of seasoned pinheads voice this opinion it has nothing to do with being new.

I think adding villain progression would be a good idea as the current code completing all the villains is too hard. Also, counting hits on brotherhood and hellfire in none multiball modes (or at least some) would probably be a good idea as well. I don't mind playing tough games myself but I have to admit I do not like Wizard modes that none elite players will never see like with LOTR.

#15 11 years ago

You said has something to do with being 'newer people to the hobby' not players that are not good.

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Using pinside to gather my info and seasoned pinheads often admit to not being good players as well.

I would consider myself a decent player and I think the Villain modes as they are now are too difficult for none elite players to concur.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Okay if not good at least decent .

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

If we are gonna go this route lets not blanket it ALL villans. What modes are too hard?

Well I am not going to get into the percentages you listed for completion. But Omega Red is very tough. Getting the two multiball modes involves some risky repetitive shots. Jugs takes a decent amount of shots to complete. Also Sentinals is no gimmie mode it requires a lot of hits and with the more shots taken the higher chance of draining so that is why I would say it is no gimmie. Saber tooth is probably the easiest but also has it's dangers like hitting Wolverine in the wrong spot. Shadow King can be tough if you don't know what your shooting for can you please explain your approach to the mode a bit more I didn't understand what you said about it.

Also, I would argue it is important to blanket all villains together because that is what it takes to get to Dark Phoenix. As a whole right now all of them added together is just too tough for none elite players to reach. While some modes don't have hard shots to hit necessarily they have a lot of shots you need to hit and when you add them together it is just too tough. Especially considering the unpredictability of this pin with 2 magnets throwing the ball around and one pretty close to the flippers. Stacking and/or progression (I'd lean towards progression here) would be a great addition IMO and make for a funner game.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

A SB for this game might be a little broken, and shoehorning in a firing call by holding a flipper up and hitting start is a little clumsy. However, you bring a good idea that might be very fun and interesting if utilized correctly. This is what I propose:
Each Villain has a combination of two specific Heroes. If you complete those two Hero modes before initiating that fight with the villain, that villain's number of shots needed to defeat him in halved, or hamstrung in some way. In example:
Let's say that JUGGERNAUT's weak to the team of Xavier and Cyclops. If you manage to complete both of Xavier's and Cyclops's modes, then start the Juggernaut villain mode, he now requires half as many shots to complete.
Either that, or shots in villain mode fights associated with Hero modes that are completed do more damage than shots associated with heroes that aren't completed.
How does that sound? IMO that would make Villain fights much more dynamic, and make acquiring heroes important to villain modes, as it is right now the Hero and Villain modes don't make any difference to one another. They're complete separate entities. This solution would give meaning and greater strategy and purpose to the "easier" Hero modes so they can pay dividends with certain Hero combos within Villain modes

Well said, I think that would be a great way to do it! It draws the player more into the game this way while making progressing through the Villains more manageable. I am really hoping this is the direction Stern goes for the next update.

I do think the code needs improvement. If they added combos and better integration as a way to make Dark Phoenix more reachable like Rcade is recommending the code could come up to the same level as the playfield design. But all and all as far as layout and the way the pin plays well I am absolutely loving it. After getting some serious play on it I like it more and more. I hope Stern comes through for their customers and works on this code to make it a masterpiece.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

So.....were I to email this suggestion to somebody at Stern so that it may be looked at, whom do I send it to?
Not that it would have high chance of making a difference and getting looked at seriously, but at least I can try,lol

Hopefully some of them care enough to read the boards to see how their pin is being received by their customers and fans.

#64 11 years ago

I hope what you would expect is wrong Rarehero. They would be missing out on a great opportunity to integrate the game and eliminate the need to time out modes to progress. This can be done by making completed Hero modes help in completing the Villains in some way. Doesn't seem to crazy to implement and would greatly enhance the code.

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Seems like I'm getting a lot of air balls now. Is it possible the right side Night Crawler could be coming up out of the playfield (or a screw?) just enough to make the balls fly now? It is frustrating to say the least...

If NC is not flush with the field that could be an issue. I would take the glass off and look and feel around it with power on & coin door closed to see if that may be a problem. X-Men is going to get it's fair share of air balls regardless but I found that adding the post mod did help eliminate some air balls not sure if you have tried that yet or not. That mod is detailed in the thread below:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-ramp-posts-mod

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lyman is not working on X-Men. It's not his game. Waison & Mark are working on X-Men.

Not his game but I am sure they help each other out over there. I thought I remembered someone indicate that Stern or Gomez mention at PPE that Lyman would be lending a hand on the X-Men code. Not sure where they got that info though.

#102 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the info Rarehero. I deleted my prior post because I don't want to be a part of spreading miss information. Sorry for the misunderstanding no offense intended. I wish it were true but seems Lyman is not going to be helping out with it.

#105 11 years ago

Given some info provided by a fellow pinhead it seems pretty unlikely that Lyman will be involved with this project. Seems like he is pretty busy with other projects right now.

Everyone has their preferences and many like myself focus on getting pins they love to play not as an investment. I personally enjoy playing X-Men Pro as is more than Tron LE and I know I am in the minority on that and that is okay. For me a pin does not need to be loved by the masses for me to love playing them I try to play each with a totally open mind.

#113 11 years ago

Yoxxy, if you think the holes in the scoop are off or it is twisted I would contact Stern customer support with pictures and a description. I had a problem with my scoop (not this particular problem) and got a new one within about a week and a half. If the holes in the playfield are off then you could also drill new holes where need be in the scoop itself to make the necessary adjustment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-x-mens-code-too-hard-for-the-average-player-to-enjoy?tu=the_dude_abides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.