(Topic ID: 27142)

Is X-Men's code too hard and therefore not fun for the average player to enjoy?

By Shapeshifter

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Donnyman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

AC/DC is way to confusing of a game to play even with the recent code update that enables the color changing lights to function. No where on or in the game does it tell you what is lit for what if you have more then one objective running. The game needs to come with a manual or readme file listing what everything does and how thats depicted on the pf inserts and display.

I wont even bother with X-men due to its fiasco of a code at this time. Still laughing at how the game was released with the player getting no score during multiball. Sure the code updates made it a little better but it still has a very long ways to go. I've put in over 100 games on both and still have no idea what is going on in either.

LOTR and TSPP I picked up on pretty quick and love to play. Hopefully I can get into playing Acdc and Xmen more once the code lets the player know whats going on more clearly. Those that know me know I like games that are fast and flow well. Would like to add another game to that like list in the future.

#52 11 years ago

#53 11 years ago

Part of the issue isn't the code overall being difficult, it's that difficulty is unbalanced between Hero and Villains. Most of the Heroes are incredibly easy to complete (some being only 2-3 shots max), but Villains are a f***ing grind fest. Especially something like Brotherhood/Hellfire where not completing the mode means re-hitting the targets 9 more times just to re-light (!!!).

On the topic: is it hard for the average player to enjoy? I consider myself "average", so no. I think if you're a below average, flail to keep alive, mentally lazy type of player: then yes. X-Men in its current state is difficult. But then every game is probably challenging for that person (no offense).

...and what-the-f**k-ever *eye roll* with trying to turn this into yet another "I told you so", "you chose wrong", "glad I wasn't a dumb ass for picking up this game", "glad I picked up the other game" face rub. X-Men has really great potential in it's current form, but it's also up to Stern to deliver.

Post edited by SealClubber : language

#54 11 years ago

I would like it if I could get wolverine multiball during villain modes.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, that's how I felt a month ago, it's just taking some people longer to get to that point.

Well said.

I'm mostly in agreement with this, and I think this is one reason that X-Men isn't as fun or as satisfying as it could be. I played one again this last weekend and my feelings on the pin hasn't changed. The scoring is terrible too, far too linear, very little strategy to scoring big points, no risk/reward, no bonus multipliers, no combo's, etc. A major code update is needed badly.

yeah i was telling you to wait for the next code update , now irony is i'm not sure i can wait that long as i can't see how so many issues can be fixed . beast voice , storm voice , cheap hero modes , long villian modes , no in your face sound effects . no jackpot callouts - big mistake now i've come to realise , everyone wants to get a jackpot in a game , not just a picture on the dmd. no stacking the list goes on and the fun factor of course so my machine may not be here i just don't know

#56 11 years ago

The code aint hard, but the shots are..

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

A suggestion I emailed to Borg was...
There should be some kind of 'Smart Bomb' that is earned throughout the game. This 'Smart Bomb' (or what ever you wanna call it) would significantly damage your opponent and it should be Hero\Villain mode specific. Also...it should be something that is earned and not just awarded.
What would be cool is if you finish a Hero..to get a SB for a Villain mode. Lets say this SB reduces the Villain 'strength' by 25%. If you finish a Villain mode...you get a SB for a Hero mode. Lets say this SB reduced the Hero mode by one hit.
I think they would have to add some elements to most the hero's...especially Rouge and Xavier.
My best guess is a SB could be used by holding the right flipper button..and pressing the start button

A SB for this game might be a little broken, and shoehorning in a firing call by holding a flipper up and hitting start is a little clumsy. However, you bring a good idea that might be very fun and interesting if utilized correctly. This is what I propose:

Each Villain has a combination of two specific Heroes. If you complete those two Hero modes before initiating that fight with the villain, that villain's number of shots needed to defeat him in halved, or hamstrung in some way. In example:

Let's say that JUGGERNAUT's weak to the team of Xavier and Cyclops. If you manage to complete both of Xavier's and Cyclops's modes, then start the Juggernaut villain mode, he now requires half as many shots to complete.

Either that, or shots in villain mode fights associated with Hero modes that are completed do more damage than shots associated with heroes that aren't completed.

How does that sound? IMO that would make Villain fights much more dynamic, and make acquiring heroes important to villain modes, as it is right now the Hero and Villain modes don't make any difference to one another. They're complete separate entities. This solution would give meaning and greater strategy and purpose to the "easier" Hero modes so they can pay dividends with certain Hero combos within Villain modes

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

yeah i was telling you to wait for the next code update , now irony is i'm not sure i can wait that long as i can't see how so many issues can be fixed . beast voice , storm voice , cheap hero modes , long villian modes , no in your face sound effects . no jackpot callouts - big mistake now i've come to realise , everyone wants to get a jackpot in a game , not just a picture on the dmd. no stacking the list goes on and the fun factor of course so my machine may not be here i just don't know

At this point, I think it's worth waiting. The game is in a weird perception period right now...MNPinball hasn't been able to find a buyer for a month or so. So...why not chill - see what the update brings. I'm pretty sure it's going to address most of the common complaints. At that point - you'll be happy and keep it...or, if you still want to sell it - at least it'll have better code and might be an easier sale!

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

A SB for this game might be a little broken, and shoehorning in a firing call by holding a flipper up and hitting start is a little clumsy. However, you bring a good idea that might be very fun and interesting if utilized correctly. This is what I propose:
Each Villain has a combination of two specific Heroes. If you complete those two Hero modes before initiating that fight with the villain, that villain's number of shots needed to defeat him in halved, or hamstrung in some way. In example:
Let's say that JUGGERNAUT's weak to the team of Xavier and Cyclops. If you manage to complete both of Xavier's and Cyclops's modes, then start the Juggernaut villain mode, he now requires half as many shots to complete.
Either that, or shots in villain mode fights associated with Hero modes that are completed do more damage than shots associated with heroes that aren't completed.
How does that sound? IMO that would make Villain fights much more dynamic, and make acquiring heroes important to villain modes, as it is right now the Hero and Villain modes don't make any difference to one another. They're complete separate entities. This solution would give meaning and greater strategy and purpose to the "easier" Hero modes so they can pay dividends with certain Hero combos within Villain modes

Well said, I think that would be a great way to do it! It draws the player more into the game this way while making progressing through the Villains more manageable. I am really hoping this is the direction Stern goes for the next update.

I do think the code needs improvement. If they added combos and better integration as a way to make Dark Phoenix more reachable like Rcade is recommending the code could come up to the same level as the playfield design. But all and all as far as layout and the way the pin plays well I am absolutely loving it. After getting some serious play on it I like it more and more. I hope Stern comes through for their customers and works on this code to make it a masterpiece.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well said, I think that would be a great way to do it! It draws the player more into the game this way while making progressing through the Villains more manageable. I am really hoping this is the direction Stern goes for the next update.
I do think the code needs improvement. If they added combos and better integration as a way to make Dark Phoenix more reachable like Rcade is recommending the code could come up to the same level as the playfield design. But all and all as far as layout and the way the pin plays well I am absolutely loving it. After getting some serious play on it I like it more and more. I hope Stern comes through for their customers and works on this code to make it a masterpiece.

So.....were I to email this suggestion to somebody at Stern so that it may be looked at, whom do I send it to?

Not that it would have high chance of making a difference and getting looked at seriously, but at least I can try,lol

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

At this point, I think it's worth waiting. The game is in a weird perception period right now...MNPinball hasn't been able to find a buyer for a month or so. So...why not chill - see what the update brings. I'm pretty sure it's going to address most of the common complaints. At that point - you'll be happy and keep it...or, if you still want to sell it - at least it'll have better code and might be an easier sale!

yeah good point . i just wish i had a pin now that was more fun. i only have 1 pin these days .oh well i'll just play more ps3 or xbox.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

So.....were I to email this suggestion to somebody at Stern so that it may be looked at, whom do I send it to?
Not that it would have high chance of making a difference and getting looked at seriously, but at least I can try,lol

Hopefully some of them care enough to read the boards to see how their pin is being received by their customers and fans.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

yeah good point . i just wish i had a pin now that was more fun. i only have 1 pin these days .oh well i'll just play more ps3 or xbox.

Oh yeah...well I guess that's tough if you've only got one spot. Hey, do whatcha gotta do!

Hopefully some of them care enough to read the boards to see how their pin is being received by their customers and fans.

They definitely read our complaints & suggestions over the past few months...but I think at this point, whatever the "vision" is for the game is set in stone and being coded. I honestly wouldn't expect anything drastic like smartbombs....but I think it's a pretty sure bet we'll see more stacking, modes fleshed out/tweaked, more difficulty option settings, more sound & lights, combo rules, something with Deadpool, ramp timing tweaked, magnet action tweaked, options for lock release timing, etc.

#64 11 years ago

I hope what you would expect is wrong Rarehero. They would be missing out on a great opportunity to integrate the game and eliminate the need to time out modes to progress. This can be done by making completed Hero modes help in completing the Villains in some way. Doesn't seem to crazy to implement and would greatly enhance the code.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

You could argue that if you play the opposite faction mb, then you could time that out

What you're saying sounds like a lot of sense, apart froim the above ... Time out a multiball...

It seems to me what Stern have tried to do here is try to please everyone... i.e. less experienced players will be able to do the hero modes and progress towards the MB, and excellent players won't get bored with this easier side of the game by having the villain modes to contend with also... what they seem to have had difficulty with, however, is how to integrate these two sides of the game well... i.e. a less experienced player can get 'stuck' in a villain mode and it can spoil the game for them... Stacking at least one villain mode with one hero mode seems to be the answer here, so that when in a Villain mode, the player can ignore it and continue on his path to the hero MB without having to time out the Villain, and as a bonus, also possibly progress a villain mode as a side plot

#66 11 years ago

someone tell marvel that they had jackpot callouts on the zen pinball games for ps3 etc so why not on stern games . i was given a reason but do not understand it . also i want some sound samples from the series wolverine and the xmen . not songs from the sound of music " these are a few of my favourite things " springs to mind

#67 11 years ago

I hope what you would expect is wrong Rarehero. They would be missing out on a great opportunity to integrate the game and eliminate the need to time out modes to progress. This can be done by making completed Hero modes help in completing the Villains in some way. Doesn't seem to crazy to implement and would greatly enhance the code.

Hey, here's hopin'!

#68 11 years ago

This is actually a much better twist. I've never watch an episode of Xmen but I'm sure some heros\villains have weaknesses toward each others. And incorporating a way that there's an advantage to playing the Villains was the goal. This would work well

The only problem I see is the game would be the same as far as strategy . Complete all the Heros...the go after all the 'crippled' Villains. It would be cool to have to complete the 2 hero modes in succession then the next mode you HAD to start was crippled villain...else it wouldn't pertain anymore. When chosen the Villain there could be a DMD hint as to which one it already damaged

I really like hiding 'stuff' in games. That why I suggested the flipper start button thing. The only reason I said the flipper+start is to get around the starting a second player if the start button was hit on the first ball. I'm sure they could handle it with software that if the game was in a mode...and a bomb was available...it would take precedence over starting a second player.

I like the the idea of a Villain timer ticking down...and needing to make a split second decision on if I can make those last couple of shots...or use my 'hard to acquire' bomb to destroy him.

This game is just full of potential...I hope they put the time into it. It could be extremely special

Quoted from Rcade:

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

What you're saying sounds like a lot of sense, apart froim the above ... Time out a multiball...

Sorry about that. I agree using "time out" with a multiball did not read right.

What I meant was if a player started a multiball on the opposite faction, a player could elect to not play the multiball at all. After the ball saver expires, cradle one ball on a flipper, let all the other balls drain, then go back to what you are doing for the original faction.

#70 11 years ago

Having read all of above, a game stands or falls on the code, well, XM will. The potential is there. If they don't get the code to the point that the game becomes much more enjoyable, it will be a shame.

Also makes me realize how risky a pre-order is unless you know Lyman is doing the code or Keefer at JJP.

#71 11 years ago

X-Men is no fun. There I said it.

Pros:
*It's a great layout.
*The artwork is fantastic.
*A lot of the sound is great. I actually like Beast, Storm sounds like she suffered some kind of closed head injury.
*The animations are great. Very detailed.
*The shots are very hard.
*My passing has gotten way better as I am habitually on the wrong side and there is no way to use the loop.

Cons:
*The code is no fun.
*The scoring makes no sense, how can I beat Sabretooth in one game and score 5.5MM and the next beat him and score 2.3MM?
*The lack of stacking makes no sense.
*The fact that you make a choice right away in the game whether you want to push heroes or villains and no matter which way you go you get stuck having to play a bunch of other modes that push you the other way.
*The targets don't count hits unless you aren't in a mode; however, when you aren't in a mode and you hit one you end up in a mode a lot of the time.
*There needs to be another wizard mode for completing danger room and dark phoenix.
*There needs to be more multiballs. The multiballs are currently stupid. Shoot right, shoot wolverine, shoot left, shoot wolverine. Then you have Magneto multiball which to quote the callout from NGG "Shoot anything." There is no thought that goes into Magneto besides keep balls in play.
*The loop around wolverine behind beast through phoenix provides no ability to pass between flippers. The ball locks in Magneto.
*The scoop hits the slingshot and puts the ball on the right flipper 99% of the time.
*Magneto will drop the ball SDTM on a kickout. There needs to be another ball given.

If this was my only machine it would make me want to quit playing pinball. It has a lot of potential but is immensely frustrating in its execution.

I had people over this weekend. X-Men got played for one or two games by each person, where the rest of my machines got play 10 or more games by each person (NGG continues to get more play than ToTAN and MM?). Each person had almost exactly the same thing to say. It seems interesting but it's no fun.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

X-Men is no fun. There I said it.

*The code is no fun.

I must not like fun games then. My other pins haven't even been turned on since I got Xmen about a month ago when I've gone in the gameroom to play by myself. It's the only game I actually left work early for cuz I wanted to play the damn thing. It's the only game I own that the wife will actually ask to play while I'm playing. That has NEVER happened before. I've been collection for about 15ish years now

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*The scoring makes no sense, how can I beat Sabretooth in one game and score 5.5MM and the next beat him and score 2.3MM?

I haven't seen this at all...but I'll watch for it next time. I think the scoring is very well balanced. All of a sudden that skill shot actually means something. Starting\completing hero modes before starting Magneto MB really means something. The other night I went on a mission to get to the Danger Room. I did and finished with 47M. My HS is 72.5M and I was one shot away from making it to DR. If your playing for score against someone (and not just trying to get through the software) it's a completely different strategy. Although this could be said for a bunch of pins. At least this game isn't 'just get to DR and you win'. I certainly don't need a Billion points for hitting the left sling

blockquote cite="#444677">
*The lack of stacking makes no sense.

I think if you start stacking Villains\Heros... it'll push it too close to Spider-man. I kinda like being able to attack the game a different way. As it sits right now you can play almost 2 completely different games on XM. Kinda like having 2 games in one.

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*The fact that you make a choice right away in the game whether you want to push heroes or villains and no matter which way you go you get stuck having to play a bunch of other modes that push you the other way.

This I agree with...there have been many suggestions on how to incorporate a benefit to playing both modes...I hope they add any of them

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*The targets don't count hits unless you aren't in a mode; however, when you aren't in a mode and you hit one you end up in a mode a lot of the time.

Don't have a problem with this either. I prefer to earn my rewards and not get them 'accidentally' handed to me. One of my biggest problem with Funhouse is that getting to midnight is and afterthought and pretty much happens by accident

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*There needs to be another wizard mode for completing danger room and dark phoenix.

I've never made it to Dark Phoenix..but I think Danger Room IS a mini-wizard mode for completing the Heros? So you want another wizard mode for completing a mini-wizard mode?

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*There needs to be more multiballs. The multiballs are currently stupid. Shoot right, shoot wolverine, shoot left, shoot wolverine. Then you have Magneto multiball which to quote the callout from NGG "Shoot anything." There is no thought that goes into Magneto besides keep balls in play.

Actually I think there are just enough..if not to many multiballs in this game. I think you have your modes mixed up. Wolverines MB is shoot any hero (except Xavier I think) then Wolverine..then any hero...ending with 3 shot to either Xavier, Magento or Cyclopes. There's a Villain mode (non MB) that has you shoot Wolverine..then left hero...then Wolverine..then right hero.

Magneto MB is very well though out. Pretty much every 'hero' shot\lane is lit...and the shots are so tight that just flailing away probably won't get it done. You're going to have to 'aim' your shots. Once a hero is hit it's turned off until you hit\lock a Magento shot..which rearms them all again. If the shots were easier like say SM I could see it being a problem and easy. This simply isn't the case with XM...the shots need to be precise

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*The loop around wolverine behind beast through phoenix provides no ability to pass between flippers. The ball locks in Magneto.

I have no idea what this means. Are you talking about Rouge that always falls into Magento lock? The shot 'around Wolverine' is Beast and goes through Phoenix. There's nothing 'behind' Beast except the cabinet wall. You WANT the ball to pass between the flippers?

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*The scoop hits the slingshot and puts the ball on the right flipper 99% of the time.

I would check your setup. I'm at the very top of the bubble and obviously level. My kickout hits the inside left flipper every time. But either way as long as it does the same thing...every time, does it really matter where the ball ends up (as long as it isn't SDTM of course). I do have a Cliffy on mine...not sure if that matters

Quoted from Yoxxy:

*Magneto will drop the ball SDTM on a kickout. There needs to be another ball given.

Again...check your setup. Any ball I have dropped out of Magento falls to the middle of the left flipper. I've never had one go SDTM that wasn't blasted there by the spinning magent

Quoted from Yoxxy:

If this was my only machine it would make me want to quit playing pinball. It has a lot of potential but is immensely frustrating in its execution.
I had people over this weekend. X-Men got played for one or two games by each person, where the rest of my machines got play 10 or more games by each person (NGG continues to get more play than ToTAN and MM?). Each person had almost exactly the same thing to say. It seems interesting but it's no fun.

While I haven't had a pinball party since I got the machine...I had a couple non-pinball people over last weekend and my results were completely the opposite...and route earning from others also contradict this. The couple non-pin guys that were over went right to the X-men and was played 80% more than all my other pins combined(and that's a conservative estimate)

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

What I meant was if a player started a multiball on the opposite faction, a player could elect to not play the multiball at all. After the ball saver expires, cradle one ball on a flipper, let all the other balls drain, then go back to what you are doing for the original faction.

I imagined that's how this would work, but bearing in mind the idea of timing out a mode is to avoid draining your ball because the mode you're in isn't helping you reach your goal, I'd say that with a MB mode, that the risk of losing all balls by playing the MB is far less than losing your single ball by playing a timed mode, so timing out OP while playing as a decepticon to reach AHM doesn't make a great deal of sense... I follow your train of thought though and agree that the safest way is to cradle one ball and let the others drain, but not sufficiently safer than playing the MB for me (and I'd guess almost everyoine else) to ever consider doing it... Especially since my aim is always to cross over to the Autrobots anyway

I get that it was a 'you could argue that' scenario and not a recommended strategy of course...

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

This has never happened once on my game in ~500 plays. Scoop always shoots directly to the left flipper. Magneto release (with no spinner magnet) always drops to the right flipper.

Your game is clearly leveled wrong and tipping to the left.

Level your game...it might be more fun then.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#75 11 years ago

Different strokes for different folks.

I guess I really posted this in the wrong thread. This wasn't about really being hard. I just think it isn't fun. I've knocked all the high scores off the game from the 1.21 update and score around $35MM on average.

I just don't think this game is fun...it is very poorly executed in it's current form, which I think makes it seem hard, when in actuality I should have more posted this as a 'it isn't a fun game thread.'

The other point is people aren't selling this game in groves at a loss because it is a winner. Right now this game is a stinker. Making excuses for it, only encourages Stern to release poor quality products in the future.

The game has potential but the code is terrible.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This has never happened once on my game in ~500 plays. Scoop always shoots directly to the left flipper. Magneto release (with no spinner magnet) always drops to the right flipper.
Your game is clearly leveled wrong and tipping to the left.
Level your game...it might be more fun then.

Game is 100% level and measured in 6 spots.

The Magneto dropout happens once every three games, but it also may be because of the spinning wheel. I don't pay that close of attention.

I should check if the scoop is bent however. That may be causing it.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

Game is 100% level and measured in 6 spots.
The Magneto dropout happens once every three games, but it also may be because of the spinning wheel. I don't pay that close of attention.

Get a new level

Seriously your game is behaving wrong. I've never had a scoop kickout touch the sling. Just sayin'

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get a new level
Seriously your game is behaving wrong. I've never had a scoop kickout touch the sling. Just sayin'

It's a Bosch Engineering level, with Laser and displays actual degrees.

I am thinking based on your post that I have a bent scoop though. Everytime it hits the left sling.

Also, I really want this game to become good. I see it having a lot of potential. It is a pinball machine for the more advanced player no question. I have been an X-Men fan since I was five years old and hearing the Juggernaut, Cyclops, Wolverine and Sabertooth callouts brings me back.

The game, mostly because of code just isn't in that great of a place right now.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get a new level

If his scoop is throwing the ball into the sling, there is something else going on than the pin not being level.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If his scoop is throwing the ball into the sling, there is something else going on than the pin not being level.

Yeah, based on this thread it is unquestionably bent. I will take it apart tonight. I have been focusing on fixing older machines though, X-Men should take up the least of my time as it is new, not 15 years old...

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

Yeah, based on this thread it is unquestionably bent. I will take it apart tonight. I have been focusing on fixing older machines though, X-Men should take up the least of my time as it is new, not 15 years old...

Well, get that thing fixed....it will instantly be more fun. My BSD was kicking out to the sling instead of the flipper, and it made the game frustrating and annoying. A few tweaks on the scoop got it shooting out right....night and day experience.

#82 11 years ago

Yoxxy, my XM was getting to be not fun, then I increased the sensitivity on Wolverine, put in the cliffy scoop protector, and just those two MINOR changes made a WORLD of difference. Your scoop is misaligned for sure.

#83 11 years ago

Hey.. if everyone hated and loved the same games..the pinball world would be a boring place.

There's no doubt XM should have been shipped with at least 1.21 (or 1.02). Just cuz I think the game is extremely fun...you certainly don't have too.

Stern to me almost seems like 2 completely different companies. The programmer\ design team that right now is killing it (and I'm a Williams snob) VS the rest of Stern that's 'gotta ship machines.'

One potentially good thing about shipping incomplete coded games is those designers\programmers actually read a lot of this stuff. And in the long run (and I do mean loooooonng run) you probably get a better finished product as suggestions are taking into consideration.

Quoted from Yoxxy:

I guess I really posted this in the wrong thread. This wasn't about really being hard. I just think it isn't fun. I've knocked all the high scores off the game from the 1.21 update and score around $35MM on average.
I just don't think this game is fun...it is very poorly executed in it's current form, which I think makes it seem hard, when in actuality I should have more posted this as a 'it isn't a fun game thread.'
The other point is people aren't selling this game in groves at a loss because it is a winner. Right now this game is a stinker. Making excuses for it, only encourages Stern to release poor quality products in the future.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

Changed thread title to match

I might be getting a Magneto soon but the code as it stands worries me big time. Keep wondering if I should have gone for ACDC instead.....

#85 11 years ago

Hey.. if everyone hated and loved the same games..the pinball world would be a boring place.
There's no doubt XM should have been shipped with at least 1.21 (or 1.02). Just cuz I think the game is extremely fun...you certainly don't have too.
Stern to me almost seems like 2 completely different companies. The programmer\ design team that right now is killing it (and I'm a Williams snob) VS the rest of Stern that's 'gotta ship machines.'
One potentially good thing about shipping incomplete coded games is those designers\programmers actually read a lot of this stuff. And in the long run (and I do mean loooooonng run) you probably get a better finished product as suggestions are taking into consideration.

+1,000,000

#86 11 years ago

Way too hard.....

#87 11 years ago

Again...check your setup. Any ball I have dropped out of Magento falls to the middle of the left flipper. I've never had one go SDTM that wasn't blasted there by the spinning magent

The left flipper? Really? I think you need to check your machine also.

I know I had various problems with Mags dropping the balls SDTM. I had the game leveled from the playfield. It ends up my digital level from Sears is very much off. When I leveled it with the bubble on the level instead of the screen....the game started playing a lot better.

#88 11 years ago

Does the game get designed first and then the code come later or does the code get designed along side the game?

Surely it can't take so long to design a code? Writing it obviously takes time.

Should add these are questions as I know very little about code except it is going to make the difference as to whether XM sells like ACDC or not!

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

Yeah, based on this thread it is unquestionably bent. I will take it apart tonight.

I'd say it's more likely screwed into the playfield at a bad angle rather than bent... just take the screws out that fit the whole scoop assembly and re-position it a bit so it throws the ball more towards the flipper...

#90 11 years ago

I still like my wolverine, but I will admit since getting another DH last week, I haven't hardly touched it. And something else that is just odd, I can't EVER make the Rogue shot anymore. I used to make ALL THE TIME. Seems like I'm getting a lot of air balls now. Is it possible the right side Night Crawler could be coming up out of the playfield (or a screw?) just enough to make the balls fly now? It is frustrating to say the least...

#91 11 years ago

I do not think it is too hard just unbalanced and can get boring.

I think things should be simplified and restarting a mode flat out sucks

Ball times are too long and if things were simplified the game may not feel as much of a chore as it does

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Seems like I'm getting a lot of air balls now. Is it possible the right side Night Crawler could be coming up out of the playfield (or a screw?) just enough to make the balls fly now? It is frustrating to say the least...

If NC is not flush with the field that could be an issue. I would take the glass off and look and feel around it with power on & coin door closed to see if that may be a problem. X-Men is going to get it's fair share of air balls regardless but I found that adding the post mod did help eliminate some air balls not sure if you have tried that yet or not. That mod is detailed in the thread below:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-ramp-posts-mod

#93 11 years ago

I actually have done the post mod, but it almost seems like its been worse since I've done that, believe it or not. It has helped the frequency that I make the iceman shot though.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I do not think it is too hard just unbalanced and can get boring.
I think things should be simplified and restarting a mode flat out sucks
Ball times are too long and if things were simplified the game may not feel as much of a chore as it does

Some of the best rulesets in pinball are simple but totally addictive. Let's hope Lyman does a Tron on XM.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Some of the best rulesets in pinball are simple but totally addictive. Let's hope Lyman does a Tron on XM.

Lyman is not working on X-Men. It's not his game. Waison & Mark are working on X-Men.

#96 11 years ago

Didn't someone speak to Gary Stern recently and he said Lyman was going to help? Or was that just a rumor??

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lyman is not working on X-Men. It's not his game. Waison & Mark are working on X-Men.

Not his game but I am sure they help each other out over there. I thought I remembered someone indicate that Stern or Gomez mention at PPE that Lyman would be lending a hand on the X-Men code. Not sure where they got that info though.

#98 11 years ago

Not his game but I am sure they help each other out over there. I thought I remembered someone indicate that Stern or Gomez mention at PPE that Lyman would be lending a hand on the X-Men code. Not sure where they got that info though.

That was it. From Gomez seminar from memory........

#99 11 years ago

I was at the Gomez seminar. He said nothing about Lyman working on the code. It's not his game ...but OK, if you guys want to believe it...feel free.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-x-mens-code-too-hard-for-the-average-player-to-enjoy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.