Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20221214-120313 (resized).png
20220904_132934 (resized).jpg
20220904_132854 (resized).jpg
20220904_132915 (resized).jpg
20220904_132843 (resized).jpg
CA15F6A7-0547-4753-BBFE-5CF43DF9B680.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vespula.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I can totally understand why it would have a tough stay in a 1 pin lineup

Depends on the guy...

#140 1 year ago

Multiballs are the death of a game? Drama queen statement. Just adjust the settings to suit, there's a whole experience waiting that seems to be missing and eluding by making blanket statements like that.

What are they (jjp)doing differently?
Maybe they just choose to follow the money and their target buyer? huo.

I don't think sterns any different as Rush probably would not be any different on location because they appear to be on the same trajectory as jjp. I doubt that Rush will be any more or less successful on location than gnr. Owners thread feels like stems version of gnr. Looks like a great game with the shots, plenty of multiballs and deeper rules, objectives, etc. A huo targeted release. That's my impression anyway. I want one.

Maybe GZ the same? Dunno.

I wouldn't ever consider buying a huo pin that I could master and solve in 6 months to a year... Doesn't mean they aren't fun to play but like the DE gnr it's fun but from a nostalgic perspective but just not a great investment unless you're just more a collector.

With the games like jjp gnr and it's rules, strategy variety, so much to learn, this means no one new to the pin on location likely gets any more than multiballs and lights playing a few games and walking away with nothing but visuals, so that's their assessment. Yeah it's Fun while drinking beer with your buddies for an evening but you don't ever get to know the game in that setting instead just form a shallow opinion.. Probably don't care either and probably not a customer anyway, but still leave with an "expert" opinion.

Nashville has two locations that I know of with gnr and one is a distro, and the times I've been there nobody is really playing it. Same with most all the jjp games there ... Yeah a rare person plugs in 2 dollars as the overwhelmed look forms on their face staring at the playfield and awkwardly drains 3 within a few minutes and walks off. I assume because it's just too complicated to keep playing. They didn't care to play enough to gleen any basics besides hit the ball with the flipper and drain, and definitely not enough to have an opinion on whether it's even fun or not. The old school, less busy, simpler to understand pins all get played regularly from what I can tell. Yes they are half the play price so there's that..

Anyway, I like that the manufacturers seem to be building for huo and not restricting themselves for the on location party crowd which is really just adapting to change and progress because I think it allows the focus to be skies as the limits for the games that will continue to appeal to the home baller, collector and I think that's surely where the money is.

I don't know why I posted all this honestly. It was originally a quick thought with a few sentences then a few more and a few more... The end.

#142 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I understand there is a method to playing and getting MB as needed, it's just a different game than 'normal pinball' where MB is not sprayed across the game from start to finish.

This statement is at the core of it and what most resonated with me. I particularly liked the comparison to gnr not being "normal pinball" ... gnr never wanted to be normal so that's quite a compliment.

As you described the MB rules in DI that you like and apparently fit the theme, likewise I think the gnr MB implementation and rules reflect and fit the craziness and chaos of the band theme as well.

#148 1 year ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

To start with, ^^^this^^^.
Try this: Take a non-pinhead and go play this, 99% chance he'll get a multi within the first minute or so. Watch them-they'll have NO idea what is going on. It's just too busy.

Not this game's customer.

2 months later
#154 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

For the current price of nice used LE's, I think it's a bargain for what you get. But it is a different type game, as people have mentioned here. I love GNR and have a subwoofer hooked to the game and have the music cranked. Sure it doesn't feel like other pins, but that's actually one of THE reasons I like it... It's different. Sure there are lots of multi balls, but if you take the time to dive deep into WHY you are getting those multi balls and really learn the machine (why wouldn't you at home?) it's fantastic.
Also, you have to realize that one of the reasons GNR is on the cheaper scale is because of the sheer numbers of machines JJP produced... with one title release a year their production focuses on one title and they pump them out. For the first 6-8 months the game was available, people could flip them at a $1K-$2K profit until production caught up. So the whole theory that the "prices are lower because it's a bad game" is not all what it appears to be IMO.
And to round everything out, go play one where you can hear the sound and enjoy the game w/o distraction... then make a decision.

Exactly.

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I recently/sadly sold my GNR CE. i really treid to love it and keep it, but it wasnt my cup of tea. Seeing skeletons doing it doggy style made me nauseated too.

That's a setting. It's been off on my pin since day 1 because I agree. I only have the adult songs enabled in adult settings. Both animations and call outs are set to no and disabled.

Hope that wasn't the deciding factor for why you got rid of it.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

I've owned both. The two games are not just different, they are polar opposites.
Beatles looks bad, but is really great the more you play it.
GnR looks great, but is really bad the more you play it.

Virtual downvote 4u

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I don't think Beatles looks bad - especially with misc upgrades including a topper, but I do think that GnR LE (with its concert poster artwork) is an absolutely beautiful game! It's also WAY deeper in code, videos, music, and light shows, but I guess the primary factors that make Beatles more enjoyable overall for me to play is that it's a LOT more fun to shoot and not constantly disrupted with chaotic multiball modes like GnR.

And you get the broken record that says there settings for that too... All documented ad nauseam in the owner thread.. you can change to customize the game and reduce those if you choose... Or you found the other "fix" all on your own...just sell it to someone else.

#166 1 year ago

Yep - made recommended setting adjustments, but still wasn't fun enough for me to keep.
Playfield layout and (newer) GnR music were also contributing factors to my opinion.

Totally get it from your perspective.
How's Rush?

1 week later
#169 1 year ago

I like Rush a lot - it's a fun game!
Shoots well, great code, great light show (like GnR) w/ "Expression Lighting", and ... I like the music.

Ok you've convinced me. I'll add the expression lights when they, if they, come out.

Screenshot_20221214-120313 (resized).pngScreenshot_20221214-120313 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,790 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
7,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vespula.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-g-n-r-a-good-game-or-not-?tu=Vespula and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.