(Topic ID: 38836)

I'm in the game now... just bought my first pins!

By 27dnast

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

18.jpg
17.JPG
16.JPG
13.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.48.55_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.49.13_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.49.26_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.47.45_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.47.58_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.48.08_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.46.23_AM..png
Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.46.55_AM..png
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Been wanting to join the hobby ranks for years... this year turns out to be the perfect time for many reasons. Today was a pretty exciting day... I bought my three first pin machines and worked out a deal for an Ice Chexx hockey game.

On the pinball front, we will have The Addams Family, F-14 Tomcat, and Stargate invading our new game room. All of them in really great condition... I guess The Addams Family was in the best condition. Absolutely beautiful cabinet and the playfield is super --- came from England as its coin collector is in pounds/pence. The F-14 had a few minor dings on the corners of the backbox. The playfield is also in great condition. And the Stargate is much the same as the other two... some very minor paint loss at 2 ball drops, but otherwise in great shape.

The guy I bought them from is going to shop them out and get them in tip-top working order... should be delivered in about 3-4 weeks.

I had been thinking of getting two machines and had pretty much set my sites on a beautiful High Speed 2 and Stargate. But, once I saw the Addams, I knew I should make a move for it. I maneuvered F-14 into High Speed's place and still wanted the Stargate that, IMO, has a great mixture of play. Pretty psyched!

#2 11 years ago

Awesome. It's a blast.

#3 11 years ago

Sweet. The trifecta to start your pinball collection, nice pickups!

#4 11 years ago

Welcome to starting a great collection !

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

Congrats! Great start! Enjoy the games.

#6 11 years ago

Well done! Now you will get to start looking for pin #4 as soon as you get them. Most of us just start looking for our second.

#7 11 years ago

If I start looking for pin #4, I'll probably find myself sleeping in the driveway...

#8 11 years ago

And the downward spiral begins...

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

If I start looking for pin #4, I'll probably find myself sleeping in the driveway...

Congrats and get ready for some sleepless nights.

#10 11 years ago

Congrats! Nothing like starting out with a collection instead of one. There will come a day when you stop and think...maybe it's worth sleeping in the driveway if i can have 4.

#11 11 years ago

Congrats on your new pins!!!!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

That's what you say now, but in time, you'll be thinking of ways to get #4 (and more) in there!

#13 11 years ago

Welcome to the nuthouse! Start shopping for that dog house now!

#14 11 years ago

Congratulations! Get ready for the longest 3-4 weeks of your life waiting for delivery!

#15 11 years ago

It is a long wait. The games room is being renovated from a playroom... So I need a good week or two for painting, some electrical stuff, and new flooring. I'd imagine that last week, though, is going to be excruciating!

#16 11 years ago

Nice choices! Congratulations!

#17 11 years ago

congrats, pictures or it didn't happen

#18 11 years ago

Here are some shots of the machines themselves at their current location.

I'm not sure if it's kosher to talk about price on this forum... I'm wondering how well or badly I made out. As a newb I tried my best to do my due diligence on each machine -- sales history on the various sites that have that data, etc... game ratings... and then seeing the machines with my own eyes. This forum, pinside, was a great way to learn A LOT, fast. My total cost includes having the machines completely fixed up (all electrical and mechanical components are guaranteed to be working 100%... he's replacing one digital display on the Tomcat, for example), shopped-out, delivered, and set-up. I bought from a coin-op service guy that obviously sells... he seemed like a straight shooter... has been in business for 25 years. He was very pleasant in our negotiations... we definitely had a mutual respect for each other that made the process easy. At the end of the day, as a newb, I'm okay with paying a little extra considering the amount of work he's going to put in on the machines --- and then drive them an 1.5 hours to my house. Still hope I did ok.

Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.46.55_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.46.55_AM..png Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.46.23_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.46.23_AM..png Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.48.08_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.48.08_AM..png Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.47.58_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.47.58_AM..png Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.47.45_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.47.45_AM..png Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.49.26_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.49.26_AM..png

#19 11 years ago

Here are the remainder...

Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.49.13_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.49.13_AM..png Screen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.48.55_AM..pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-05_at_10.48.55_AM..png

#20 11 years ago

Congrats. I'm assuming by your avatar you may be in the DC/Balt area. There are a lot of us around here.

#21 11 years ago

Yes, in MD!

#22 11 years ago

Welcome to the club! TAF is a blast.

#23 11 years ago

TAF was our second pin and the one that made me fall in love with pinball.
Enjoy!!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm not sure if it's kosher to talk about price on this forum...

This made me laugh. You clearly haven't been here long!

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

This made me laugh. You clearly haven't been here long!

Do I sound ignorant???

#26 11 years ago

Good for you!!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Do I sound ignorant???

I would say blissfully so! Seems like half the posts on this forum are about prices

#28 11 years ago

Congratulations! Watch what you have just got yourself into. Buy them, play them, fix them, mod them, play them, want more of them, buy more of them, find more rooms for them, realize by that point your completely obsessed them. Just consider it normal!

#29 11 years ago

I guess I meant from the rules-sense, maybe... but more from the "uncouth" sense. I don't want to come off the wrong way.

#30 11 years ago

@rlslick: I'm prepared for it. I'm not sure if my wife is... but I am!

#31 11 years ago

Welcome, 27!

You'll find pretty much everything talked about here, from the appropriate to the inappropriate, to the "did they just say that?!"

Good bunch of folks here, though.

Nice start, btw.

Enjoy!

#32 11 years ago

Great start, your Addams fan will make you some friends, I always suggest starting with one machine though, cause like everyone is saying, you're gonna want another and another and another. Gotta love this game...

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I guess I meant from the rules-sense, maybe... but more from the "uncouth" sense. I don't want to come off the wrong way.

No worries, you're doing just fine.

#34 11 years ago

Great starting lineup, congrats!

#35 11 years ago

Congrats!! Welcome to the sickness.

#36 11 years ago

Talking about price is no problem whatsoever, I actually think it's mostly good. It gets a little ridiculous between some folks at times, but that's to be expected. To me, it's probably the best way for people to gauge what the prices out there are, and share info. And if you don't wanna talk about them, that's no problem either.

#37 11 years ago

Really excited for you! I know you've been all over here asking lots of good questions and looks like you got three very cool yet unique titles.

No worries on price sharing (IMHO). I've paid more than I should for a few but if you want the game, you have to sometimes pay. That's the worst part about this hobby not unlike many others. There's "X" games out there and the demand is high now so you can wait and be paitient, or if you must have it, well, you're going to pay. My last pick up was a few states away by a fellow Pinsider (And other forums) and I took advantage of a work trip and didn't have the travel expenses as work paid for it. Just the cost of the game.

#38 11 years ago

Alright, then give me the brutal feedback on the deal I struck. You can see in the picts that the pins are great shape... and considering they will get a total diagnostic/repair... shopped out... and delivered... plus a warranty that resets and starts over if a service is needed during the warranty period. Basically paid $1500 for the Tomcat and Stargate (each) and $4300 for the Addams Family.

I think TAF might have been a bit on the high side?

Anyhow, the seller had the priced at 1900, 1800 and 4500 respectively.

Did I do ok (holding breath... )???

#39 11 years ago

Welcome! Most everyone here is pretty cool. Enjoy those pins!

#40 11 years ago

wow, way to jump right in! Congrats on the pin purchase.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Alright, then give me the brutal feedback on the deal I struck. You can see in the picts that the pins are great shape... and considering they will get a total diagnostic/repair... shopped out... and delivered... plus a warranty that resets and starts over if a service is needed during the warranty period. Basically paid $1500 for the Tomcat and Stargate (each) and $4300 for the Addams Family.
I think TAF might have been a bit on the high side?
Anyhow, the seller had the priced at 1900, 1800 and 4500 respectively.

We all know that condition is king, but from the pictures it looks like you did fine. A year from now I'll be surprised if you have any regrets, and you might even be glad you bought when you did.

#42 11 years ago

As long as I am in the ball park... I was concerned that he was going to be firm on the TAF. He came down a tad over 10% on all three machines and then, after a few minutes of back and forth and sticking to our bottom lines, we split the difference. It would have been REALLY hard to walk. I was prepared to do it, though. His attitude and general nature definitely made it a good experience.

#43 11 years ago

You did fine. Plus you have a warranty, which can be worth hundreds if your games need some TLC.

Don't worry so much about what you paid vs. what someone else paid. Enjoy your new games and welcome!

#44 11 years ago

welcome to the hobby
- you jumped in with both feet and now have a nice line up

#45 11 years ago

I think you did pretty well. You got a warranty and the games you want. And if you feel ok about the prices, then it's not an issue. IMO you will always feel you could have done better. Thats how I always feel.

But I figure, it's my money and it's pinball. I don't give a shit. I just wanna play the games and have fun.

#46 11 years ago

Congratulations, you made a good deal! The warrantee is a nice bonus.

#47 11 years ago

If it has not been done already, ask the seller to install remote battery holders on the main boards unless you are willing to do the upgrade yourself. Get yourself some service manuals for those machines if they are not already included and get to know them inside and out, you will save money in the long run if you are able to service and maintain the machines yourself. Install brand spankin' new balls in those machines if the seller hasn't already. Good score and by all means enjoy it!

#48 11 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Where is the best place to buy new balls? And how often do they need to be changed?

#49 11 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=5

Pinballlife.com is a great resource for pretty much anything you need. Marcospecialties.com is good too, but a little spendier.

Your balls will be good for months with moderate play. Just watch for nicks or major scratches on the ball that will wreak havoc on your playfield.

#50 11 years ago

Okay... how many balls per machine? 7? And the balls in that link are standard? Good to go for just about any pin?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 159.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 180.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-in-the-game-now-just-bought-my-first-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.