(Topic ID: 118281)

How to wax

By toasterman04

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    HHR-5.jpg
    DCP01437.JPG
    DCP01184.JPG
    DCP01186.JPG
    DCP01181.JPG
    IMAG2768.jpg
    IMG_104314626885268.jpeg
    bob cleaning.png
    mothers-california-gold-pure-carnauba-paste-wax-7.jpg
    image-603.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

So I searched the forums on waxing, I searched all morning and now everything about the wax itself, but nothing about applying it. I have never waxed a car or surf board. From what I have found wipe playfield down with a dry cloth, clean playfield if needed (Novus, Treasure cove Kit, etc) I finally ordered Blitz wax and would love some clarifying points on application. Do I apply it with a microfiber towel? Thin layer I am guessing? Do I use elbow grease and just buff it out or use a drill and buffing pad? any tips on what to do and what not to do? I am confident and capable of doing it, I have just learned a lot from this wonderful place and figured it never hurts to learn a little more.

#2 9 years ago

Just put some wax on a soft cloth, gently rub it in circles, applying a very thin layer.

Allow it to dry for about 20 mins, and wipe off with a cloth (I like an inside out terry cloth sock).

Use a super soft toothbrush to get the wax off the plastic posts.

Buffer is good if the playfield is unpopulated.

#3 9 years ago

I use Meguiars plain old Carnauba Paste Wax in the can but same applies with Blitz or anything. Meguiars comes with a foam like applicator that you use to apply in gentle circular motion. I wait a few mins until it gets a "haze" and starts to dry. This should be 5-10 mins or so. I've never counted. If you don't have a foam applicator, a clean microfiber towel to apply is fine.

Then wipe clean with a clean microfiber towel. You'll want plenty of these to have on hand. Some people wash theirs when done. I use them for my car related stuff when they're too dirty to reuse. You don't need to use a lot of effort to apply or remove. The key is having the playfield clean before you start.

It's really simple as you find. Same more or less as doing your car. Which is A LOT more work. Results are worth effort in both cases.

Post edited by dmacy: DOH! vid beat me to it

#4 9 years ago

image-603.jpgimage-603.jpg

#5 9 years ago

lol ok great thanks, I am sure I am overthinking it. I plan on doing a few games this weekend, and I am sure once I start and finish the first game I will think to myself.... what was I worried about

#6 9 years ago

Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.

Post edited by statsdoc: Z28dan beat me ... kudos

#7 9 years ago

I've been waxing with microfiber, but this thread has me rethinking that.

Microfiber is highly recommended for cleaning because of all the "hooks" in the cloth. Since that's the case, does that mean it's not appropriate for waxing since it's not "soft" enough?

#8 9 years ago

stand back about 2 feet, squirt liquid wax all over making sure it runs down the switch lanes and fills up all the crevices of the star posts.
    if it's a creech, make sure you use enough for it to seep down between the window and drip all over the speaker and bottom of the cabinet. a waxed speaker provides crisper audio in the pre DCS games.

/sarcasm off, but I hate wax and the above describes at least 50% of the games that run thru my shop. DON'T do the above.

#9 9 years ago

a waxed speaker provides crisper audio in the pre DCS games

lol good point... I will make sure to pay close attention to ensuring an even coat over the speaker....
    It does seem like everything else on pinside; half love wax half hate it... I guess it is time for me to decide which half I fall into.. at almost $40 for blitz wax I hope I love it so I don't waste it

#10 9 years ago

You can save a lot of effort if you mask off the star posts and anything else you don't want to get wax on.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You can save a lot of effort if you mask off the star posts and anything else you don't want to get wax on.

even if you do it by hand?

#12 9 years ago

Absolutely. I wax mine by hand, and no matter how careful I was I still got wax on the posts. I finally wised up and started using masking tape.

#13 9 years ago

Nothing looks crappier imo than old dried wax in the star posts..

And it's a pain to get those posts clean of the wax at shop time. I usually just replace them. New ones look great.

#14 9 years ago

anyone try using Turtle Wax F21 spray? Its awesome. Super easy to apply, no gunk build up and super slick. + UV protection if you need it

#15 9 years ago

Maybe you could try one with Wax and one with pledge.
    And report back . Remember wipe off pledge with long strokes. It's all in the wrist right hand narrow bodies and left hand wide bodies. I hate microfiber period I like socks and cloth diapers

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Nothing looks crappier imo than old dried wax in the star posts..
    And it's a pain to get those posts clean of the wax at shop time. I usually just replace them. New ones look great.

Toothbrush sprayed w/ some Novus 1 works perfect for this type of scenario.

#17 9 years ago

Don't use any Pledge or liquid silicone waxes on playfields - if you ever try to repair or clearcoat them they fisheye like crazy

#18 9 years ago

My problem is getting all the white residue off my play field after the wax off step. The bottom of the play field is dark and any white dust from the wax shows up.

#19 9 years ago

Man, just as expected... I grabbed the wax and applied it no sweat... Two coats of me shaking my head wondering what I was so worried about... Damn pinside is intimidating I think... But heck it wa a peace of cake thanks for the help guys

#20 9 years ago

I use Milwax, is it ok? Seems to work just fine...I apply it to a soft cloth, rub it in circles around playfield and once dry just buff it off with a clean soft cloth.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

Toothbrush sprayed w/ some Novus 1 works perfect for this type of scenario.

Been there. Doesn't work that great imo.

For the couple bucks it costs for new, splurge!

#22 9 years ago

Masking is a great tip. I wish I thought of that before doing my first wax job last month.

#23 9 years ago

I Didn't see the need for masking really, I guess I didn't have many posts on mine, goldeneye. It came out great.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I use Milwax, is it ok? Seems to work just fine...I apply it to a soft cloth, rub it in circles around playfield and once dry just buff it off with a clean soft cloth.

Milwax is a cleaner. Used to be the go-to in the 'old' days. You need wax. Milwax Bottles are notorious for breaking also.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't use any Pledge or liquid silicone waxes on playfields - if you ever try to repair or clearcoat them they fisheye like crazy

+1

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Mill-wax is a liquid silicone...

Nothing beats a little novus and a pure carnauba wax. This is what I use,
    mothers-california-gold-pure-carnauba-paste-wax-7.jpgmothers-california-gold-pure-carnauba-paste-wax-7.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Heres a question ived always wondered. When it comes to waxing, does everyone remove ramps, etc first or just wax the main play area? What about by and between pop bumpers? Shooter lane? If the wax provides a thin layer for the ball to glide on, wouldn't you want to ensure this layer is throughout the whole playfield to prevent wear? I have a star trek I should give a wax to, but I'm really hesitating on trying to remove all the ramps, etc to get everywhere. Seems like a full weekend project then instead of a quick one.

#27 9 years ago

I always keep my games fairly clean. I do just clean and wax the main part of my play-fields every month or so, depending on how much I've played. I do a whole play-field break down/cleaning/waxing, at least once a year, maybe twice, again depending on how many plays I'm putting on my machines. I'm sure others do it differently, but this is what I've found that works for me.

#28 9 years ago

Everything is removed (all items on field) cleaned and waxed, then after reassembly I generally throw another coat in the open areas.

#29 9 years ago

I waxed just the main area for my first time, also I just tore it apart and did not want to do it again. I for sure would wax the entire playfield when you do a complete shop... but in the until then I see no harm in doing the main area.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

My problem is getting all the white residue off my play field after the wax off step. The bottom of the play field is dark and any white dust from the wax shows up.

yeah, I have the same issue. for a week or two after i wax, I am taking the glass off to wipe up white specs that collect everywhere.

#31 9 years ago

On my Getaway, it was really hard to access back areas without taking the ramps off. Those hard to reach spots get real dirty so you have to clean them at some point. It took me hours to take apart the playfield and hours to put it all back together. Cleaning and waxing only took minutes but it was still worth it. After many plays, they playfield still looks clean and glossy.

I was careful on keeping track of where everything went. I put screws/parts in ziplock bags and wrote descriptions of where they went. It was time consuming but it sure helped when putting everything back together.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

yeah, I have the same issue. for a week or two after i wax, I am taking the glass off to wipe up white specs that collect everywhere.

could this just have been because of too much put on? maybe thinner layers of wax would help prevent this?

#33 9 years ago

Just a super thin layer is all you need.

No sense in applying 1/4 of the can, only to wipe it all off and throw it in the crapper.

#34 9 years ago

i strip it down, it makes it much easier...

then again, i'm an em guy, and it's pretty easy to strip the top of a pf...

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

could this just have been because of too much put on? maybe thinner layers of wax would help prevent this?

i think you're probably right. i have been slathering it on pretty thick. i'll definitely try a thinner coat next time.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

then again, i'm an em guy, and it's pretty easy to strip the top of a pf

It's nice being able to do it in an hour or so and be done...rather than a 12 hour project with about 200 screws/nuts/bolts...seems like a FT job if you want to even wax a dmd. Price you pay for all the toys I suppose but seems like a "modular" game where you can unplug and pull off most items/features would be popular with collectors

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

Nothing beats a little novus and a pure carnauba wax. This is what I use,

This is all i ever use.

#38 9 years ago

For Clearcoat (and diamond coat) all I use is NXT. It is a polymer. Lasts a long time and no residue. Wipe on, wait 10 minutes and wipe off. Like I said, zero residue. This is the best stuff to use imo.

#39 9 years ago

Amazing I just waxed my amazing spiderman... And what great results I never really loved the gameplay of it but always loved the artwork.now.... It plays totally different and amazing what. A couple thin layers of wax can do.... I am sold time and time again

#40 9 years ago

Heres my buddy doing a cleaning job bob cleaning.pngbob cleaning.png

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Then you are definitely either using crap wax, applying way too much, or not removing it properly.

I have never had any "white specs" from waxing.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

My first coat I always remove early, before it dries. You're removing most of the product before it sets, but what you leave behind limits the difficulty in removing subsequent coats, and that residue you're talking about. It's worked for me time and time again, and I'm sticking with it.

#43 9 years ago

After you remove the wax, go over the playfield with a microfiber cloth everywhere you can reach. The microfiber cloth will pick up the leftover wax residue (dust). Then slide the playfield out and put it up on the pegs or rails and use compressed air (in a can with a nozzle) to blow the remaining residue down and off the playfield. It will end up on the floor or in the bottom of the cabinet, but better there than on the playfield. You can see it working. Dust will fly.

I use a damp 1" square piece of a kitchen sponge (cut out using scissors) to apply wax. I use a cotton cloth to remove the wax after it's dry, then use a microfiber to remove the dust. Compressed air quickly finishes the job. I don't recommend waxing newer games, but that's a whole different thread.

#44 9 years ago

Shooter lane? Wax or not?

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

Shooter lane? Wax or not?

Yes, wax the shooter lane.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Then you are definitely either using crap wax, applying way too much, or not removing it properly.
    I have never had any "white specs" from waxing.

Then either you are doing a stellar job of cleaning... Or not using a true solid wax. The wax will dry to the solid form which you want (so it remains!) and then buff out. There is always residue from the buffing. Its simply a case of cleaning and using clean cloths to minimize. Obviously putting too much on exaggerates the problem and is simply wastful... But particulate is just part of waxing unless you use the liquids or polymers.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Then either you are doing a stellar job of cleaning... Or not using a true solid wax. The wax will dry to the solid form which you want (so it remains!) and then buff out. There is always residue from the buffing. Its simply a case of cleaning and using clean cloths to minimize. Obviously putting too much on exaggerates the problem and is simply wastful... But particulate is just part of waxing unless you use the liquids or polymers.

Bullshit.

It isn't a "stellar job of cleaning" that I do. It's a very simple matter of removing the wax with a high quality micro fiber towel. Doing so will not leave behind any "white spots" or dust when you are using a high quality wax as long as you aren't using too much.

Nothing you said contradicts my post.

#48 9 years ago

You can't go wrong with some Meguiars carnuba.It works great on my pins and on my car.
    IMAG2768.jpgIMAG2768.jpgIMG_104314626885268.jpegIMG_104314626885268.jpeg

#49 9 years ago

Like I said earlier. If you have a clearcoat or diamond coat, Meguiars NXT Polymer and that is it. Lasts longer, easy wipe on and off. Most important...NO RESIDUE, EVER.

#50 9 years ago

Sonax Premium Carnauba Care is also very easy to work with. Leaves NO residue. I let it sit for 20 minutes after applying. Then wipe off with included microfiber cloth.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-wax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.