• Latest reply 24 days ago by freddy
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9088 (resized).jpeg
11C65935-6580-42BB-8FAF-53DCE0FC6B97 (resized).jpeg
EF3FF1F2-5726-48F9-82CE-52FDF7170BC7 (resized).jpeg
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 72 days ago

My unsolicited 2 cents:

1. If husband wants an Addams Family then please don't get a newer Stern as others have suggested. That would be the same as buying somebody whose dream car is a classic Mustang a brand new Camaro - just don't

2. I have never heard anyone say a bad word about Colsond3 in 10 years on this site. He even mentioned turning down multiple 'newer Stern' traded offers for his game - those are the same offers your husband would get if he decided to move on from this game down the road.

#52 72 days ago

If it were me and I knew it was going to see high play, considering one of the ones with a cleared playfield, although more expensive will provide a game that he sounds like he has skills to work on the rest of it if something goes wrong he wont be starting with nothing, and his playfield (which is a common place for wear to show on these, sometimes there are old PF's that have just thin layer or two left for paint) would already be bulletproofed.

Also side note, I feel some restoration that was mentioned here was perhaps undersold as being like it left from the factory- since some of the games i've seen in this category are well-beyond what they produced, so its not a real apples to apples comparison, you do get great value in some of these full restores if you know the game will be well loved.

#53 72 days ago
Quoted from boscokid:

My unsolicited 2 cents:
1. If husband wants an Addams Family then please don't get a newer Stern as others have suggested. That would be the same as buying somebody whose dream car is a classic Mustang a brand new Camaro - just don't
2. I have never heard anyone say a bad word about Colsond3 in 10 years on this site. He even mentioned turning down multiple 'newer Stern' traded offers for his game - those are the same offers your husband would get if he decided to move on from this game down the road.

I conceed.

Theres an old saying we use at work a lot. "give em what they want, not what they need". I think it applies here too. Good luck on your search!

#54 72 days ago

I agree.. you should stick with your original idea of getting an addams family, and that offer from Colsond3 is hard to beat. I don't know him, but every time he puts a game up for sale in the new england for sale thread, a handful of people jump in to say he's an awesome guy to do business with. Have fun, such an awesome and thoughtful thing to do for your husband!

#55 72 days ago

Honestly, I would let him buy his own machine. The hunt is all part of the enjoyment.
If it was me, I would like it better than my wife buying me one without my involvement.
Just tell him the gift is you are going to shop for a machine together.
Give him a bday card with a picture of a pinball machine in it.

#56 72 days ago

Colson is a legit seller selling a super nice TAF at a reasonable price. Additionally, he’s offered to help you set it up and run through the usual stuff.

Sounds like exactly what you were looking for.

#57 72 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

One of the TAF’s posted is mine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/172272
This machine is absolutely stunning, and plays reliably without any issue. Has several upgrades that I’m sure your husband would love.
While I am a little too far away to jump over for a service call if there was an issue, I could also deliver it and set it up for you for the price in the ad, without any extra charge. I could run through the game with him, and show you where to look for any issues that may arise.
Just thought I would chime in and throw it out there. If you’re interested, feel free to reach out.
If not, good luck in your search. Pretty stellar gesture you are giving your husband for his birthday.

Quoted from boscokid:

My unsolicited 2 cents:

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Colson is a legit seller selling a super nice TAF at a reasonable price. Additionally, he’s offered to help you set it up and run through the usual stuff.
Sounds like exactly what you were looking for.

Although I have not bought a machine from @colsond3, he always seems to be very upfront with the description of the machines he's selling. After 7 years on this site, I have also never heard a bad thing about someone purchasing a machine from him. His prices are always fair if not a little below market value. I would at least reach out to him and have a conversation about his machine. It really seems like a win/win especially if he can come set it up and talk about the machine with you.

#58 72 days ago

Your husband wants Addams Family, buy him an Addams Family. He may not enjoy a newer game that you buy sight unseen from a dealer. Not all pinballs are alike or equally fun to a particular person.
Any of the sellers mentioned here on Pinside will be reliable and can be trusted. Alternatively, there is an Addams for sale on Facebook Marketplace in lower NY that doesn't look bad. It would be worth a drive over to look at it. Probably not too far from you.

#59 72 days ago
Quoted from yuzu:

I do appreciate this perspective (and everyone else who has suggested a NIB/Stern option above too) and I have also been looking at other machines over the past few days... the truth is, I'm not sure of his desire beyond TAF. He likes pinball generally, I do know that, but the only one he's ever talked about owning was TAF.

This is, I think, a bit more where my head is at: where would /I/ start???
Even if he does want to get deeper into the hobby and get more machines--god help my basement--I don't know what else he'd want. I doubt even he knows what else he'd want. At least with TAF, I know he'll love it, and if he does get bored of it down the road and want something else, well okay, but at least he has something he can sell/trade, and I have so time to get used to the idea of losing my home gym, lol.
The other angle for me is the whole it's his 50th and he's in the whole nostalgic for his youth mindset that he's in right now. There was actually a story on a pinball champion on the nightly news last night, and even then he was like "Look! My pinball! TAF!" He started talking about how when he was a kid/in college, he used to be 'that guy' in the arcade that would just be on that the one machine for hooouuurrrssss... people would wait to play after him, and then leave because he'd just keep getting replays or whatever off the same original coins. He said his highest score was something over a billion, which I'm not sure I believe, or who knows maybe that's not even that high, but I do feel that going with TAF would be the sure win here... whereas something els would ultimately be appreciate, but he'd still want TAF, you know?

I'm in Linwood NJ and I'm more than happy to help you out.

I'll PM you my contact info.

RussMyers

#60 72 days ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Honestly, I would let him buy his own machine. The hunt is all part of the enjoyment.
If it was me, I would like it better than my wife buying me one without my involvement.
Just tell him the gift is you are going to shop for a machine together.
Give him a bday card with a picture of a pinball machine in it.

I agree with this approach. Of course this is a skit and definitely don’t know your situation but pins are generally considered expensive gifts but then again a $10-$13k pin may be a drop in the bucket. I really just wanted a reason to share the skit…

Also agree with being prepared to spend time or money to fix, especially older machines. I got into the hobby by specifically wanting a Simpsons machine, which has been out of production for a decade or so. Not surprisingly it has been the one I’ve had issues with the most whereas my newer NIB pins have been good to go without any issues thus far (knock on wood.)

#61 72 days ago

Once again I agree with the idea of a TAF. My first was Star Trek: The Next Generation. I played this in my college years and it was THE pin I wanted. Other titles would not have squelched the desire for STTNG. Had I not got it then it would still be on the must have list. If he's anything like that (me), he will still want the TAF and will either trade or get it in addition to whatever you might buy.

I'll add again the notion of including him, but if the Colsond3 is in your price range and you want to have the "here it is" surprise factor, I can't see him being disappointed at that. That one checks every box on what I would be looking for.

#62 72 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I agree with this approach. Of course this is a skit and definitely don’t know your situation but pins are generally considered expensive gifts but then again a $10-$13k pin may be a drop in the bucket. I really just wanted a reason to share the skit…

Also agree with being prepared to spend time or money to fix, especially older machines. I got into the hobby by specifically wanting a Simpsons machine, which has been out of production for a decade or so. Not surprisingly it has been the one I’ve had issues with the most whereas my newer NIB pins have been good to go without any issues thus far (knock on wood.)

Off topic, but I remember this. Still makes me laugh today. Very funny!

#63 71 days ago
Quoted from Monk:

Although I have not bought a machine from @colsond3, he always seems to be very upfront with the description of the machines he's selling. After 7 years on this site, I have also never heard a bad thing about someone purchasing a machine from him. His prices are always fair if not a little below market value. I would at least reach out to him and have a conversation about his machine. It really seems like a win/win especially if he can come set it up and talk about the machine with you.

I’ve never purchased a machine from Colson but have talked to him at several Pinball Shows. Like many others here I monitor the marketplace and the asking prices for the machines that he lists for sale are extremely fair. From what I’ve seen he’s a really nice guy with serious repair/restoration skills.

Check out his Halloween retheme thread. I can’t wait to see that machine in person! It’s Gorgeous!

#64 71 days ago

My 2 cents:

I’m 61, and all I collect are EMs (electromechanical pinball machines) from the 1970s, which is what I played growing up. I don’t really consider purchasing other newer machines because I know what I like. If your husband really likes TAF, that’s what he wants, at least at this point, and maybe for good.

#66 71 days ago

Yes, assuming that you can afford a (good condition) TAF, get him that. You don't want his reaction to be "Wow, a pinball machine...if only it could have been an Addams Family!".

If he gets tired of it after a couple of years (and he may not), he will have no trouble trading it for something else.

Seems to me that Colson has just want you want...

#67 71 days ago

Goto a show together and play 50 different games. Talk to people, get to kno the terms, and what to expect. Its a great community, use it!

#68 71 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I really just wanted a reason to share the skit…

HAHA! That would DEFINITELY be me if he were to go off and buy one for himself, let me tell you.

Doesn't that mean I shouldn't do it without him? Weeeelllll... I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be able to avoid the same reaction from him because I'll be mostly paying for it myself, with some contributions from his family., But also because thanks to all the support and advice from this forum, I probably know more about what to look for in a machine now than he does...I don't expect that to last long, but for now it's true!

Plus, surprising him will just be a lot more fun.

#69 71 days ago

Okay, two recent posts have mentioned pinball shows.... while I'm not surprised they exist, I AM surprised I've never seen any advertised near us. And that the hubby's never tried to get me to go to one.

When / where are any along Philly - NYC - Boston corridor?

#70 71 days ago
Quoted from yuzu:

Okay, two recent posts have mentioned pinball shows.... while I'm not surprised they exist, I AM surprised I've never seen any advertised near us. And that the hubby's never tried to get me to go to one.
When / where are any along Philly - NYC - Boston corridor?

Pinfest is 5/3-4.

https://pinfestival.com/details.html

#71 71 days ago

It's after your March time frame, but this is the next show that's up unless you're going to Texas.

https://pintasticnewengland.com/

1 month later
#72 29 days ago

Hi everyone--just wanted to thank you all again for your input, guidance and support on this. Shout out to RussMyers is particular for taking time time to educate me on Pin 101!

By way of update, I ultimately reached out to Colsond3 based on all the endorsements here, and for the last month and half, he has been graciously helping me plot and plan the surprise acquisition of his TAF.

We are around T-minus 26h from Operation Pindrop (a working name, I'm open to suggestions), and I'm happy to say that my husband is, as far as I can tell, completely in the dark.

I am planning on sharing this thread with him after the surprise has been revealed, though, so I was hoping I could ask you all for one last round of input from... this time for him, as a first-time pin owner, but long-time fan.

What do you know now but wish you knew then, when you got your first pin? Any mistakes / lessons learned? General words of wisdom and/or experience greatly appreciated. Recommendations on where to learn more about his new TAF or get more involved in the community would be wonderful too!

#73 29 days ago
Quoted from yuzu:

this time for him,

Welcome to pinside, this is the best resource for pinball knowledge in the world.

#74 29 days ago
Quoted from yuzu:

What do you know now but wish you knew then, when you got your first pin? A

Some pinball machines have a multiplicative effect that has been hard to control!

#75 29 days ago

Just have fun!

#76 29 days ago

Congratulations!!

Well Pinside wasn't around when I bought my first game over 30 years ago, but i wish I'd known about the other forum that was, to talk to like minded nerds.

Also wish I'd known about the preferred vendors like Pinballife. And the shows. All of which I did learn about relatively soon after, but having a ll of that right out of the gate woukda been cool.

#77 29 days ago

Sounds like he may have tools to properly work on the game to keep it in tip top shape. At a minimum he must have a multimeter to troubleshoot if any issues may arrive. Pinside is an excellent resource for troubleshooting on an issue as well as Pinwiki.

If he is gets along socially with others it may be fun for the both of you to possible join a local pinball league in your area. Plenty of great people around that have nice collections and very enjoyable part of the pinball hobby.

Most of all, have FUN with it like Garrett stated above. Good Luck and welcome to the pinball family

#78 29 days ago

Go ahead and start making room for more pinball machines.

Join the Addams Family owners thread. It's a great resource if you have questions about anything related to your machine. The thread is 10 years old now so use the search feature to look for anything you have questions on. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome

Also, you should learn at least the very basics of pinball maintenance/repair. Learn how to take the glass off, change a light bulb, lift the playfield, learn how things like the flippers work, etc.

Have fun!

#79 29 days ago

Congratulations...

Always remove balls before lifting the playfield and the part I always manage to forget . Put them back in.

#80 29 days ago

Congrats and you are in good hands with Colson.

What do I wish I knew then that I know now - exactly what everyone else has already said - these things multiply like rabbits so I wish I had a bigger house.

#81 29 days ago

Sorry I didn't see this thread when it was started last month, but glad to read it's getting close to the happy ending.

I was on the receiving end of this transaction (for my 50th, mrs mcmnky got me a Data East Star Wars) so it was a fun read this morning, imagining the similar conversations my wife had making her purchase. In her case, she didn't have the luxury of knowing which machine I'd want. I didn't know I wanted one until I had one!

I'm confident you came to the right place (pinside) and you've gotten good advice. It's late in the game, but I'll add just a few things: hopefully in your purchase you prioritized a machine that is fully playable but maybe has some cosmetic issues over one that looks great but has mechanical problems. Being able to play pinball will make up for pretty much any imperfections it may have. In my case, my DESW was obviously not home use only (and I suspect wasn't properly padded for shipping) so there are plenty of scratches and scars. But it plays perfectly. Every bumper pops, every bulb lights, every target drops or spins or whatever it is supposed to do. Can't ask for much more from a 30-yr old toy that's been played with.

Next, assuming you followed my first point and are getting a mechanically sound machine, I would worry too much about maintenance. Yes, there are a lot of moving parts and things will break, but most of things that go wrong can be fixed with not much expertise. The most important skill dear husband will need is the patience to read through pinside threads where almost every issue he encounters will have been had and solved before.

It's nice to have a relationship with a local professional who can help with the more complicated repairs, but to give you an idea of my experience, I was someone who owned a multimeter and soldiering iron but hadn't used either in probably decades. I don't consider myself particularly handy or mechanically inclined. But in less than 3 years with a pinball machine at home I've: cleaned and waxed the playfield, installed Cliffy's Protectors (thin metal that protect the edges around holes where the ball goes in and comes out), replaced a broken power switch, replaced the RAM and CPU, upgraded the sound board (PinSound) and display (ColorDMD), fixed some uneven plastic parts (turned out a supporting screw wasn't screwed all the way), and replaced a metal ramp.

My last suggestion is to include 2 things with your gift (as if TAF isn't enough!): 1. new balls. Balls wear down, and a bad ball does bad things to the playfield. New pinballs is something he will always need as long as you have pinball in the house.

And 2. a link to pinside! He'd likely find his way here quickly (like I did) if he searches the web for tips on pinball maintenance, but a head start doesn't hurt. I'd also strongly recommend looking for "Vid's Guides," longer threads started by user vid1900 who is absolutely amazing for expertise and a willingness to share that are both seemingly superhuman. He might start with Cleaning and Waxing Pinball Machines, but there are also guides on rebuilding pop bumpers, flippers, replacing electric cords and plugs, and more. If it's something the home owner can do to maintain a pinball, there's probably a Vid's Guide on it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

Other than that, have fun! It's big, it's expensive, but in the end it's a toy that's meant to be played with and enjoyed.

#82 29 days ago
Quoted from yuzu:

What do you know now but wish you knew then, when you got your first pin? Any mistakes / lessons learned? General words of wisdom and/or experience greatly appreciated. Recommendations on where to learn more about his new TAF or get more involved in the community would be wonderful too!

Oh! One more thing under "what I wish I knew then" is make sure you are clear on delivery and what will be done for set up. For us, delivery included drop off in the garage and nothing more. I think mrs mcmnky assumed we could take it from there, but these things are heavy! There's a small step up (like 3") from our garage to the basement where the machine would be set up, but we could not get it off the pallet and over that step. We ended up having to call movers to get it into the basement. I love my wife, and I love my pinball, but imagine those first days when all I could do was look at it wrapped up on the pallet and couldn't play. It was torture!

So assume it's going to be heavier than you think it is, and have a plan for getting it inside and set up.

#83 28 days ago

Thanks, all! T-minus 5 hours!

#84 28 days ago
Quoted from yuzu:

Thanks, all! T-minus 5 hours!

Get some pics

#85 28 days ago

This guy's life is about to change, lol! What an awesome gift, he's gonna cherish it forever

#86 28 days ago

Please have someone film the reveal of the pinball machine and post it here so we can see his reaction. You are a cool spouse. Colson is legit! You will be buying a nice machine from him.

#87 28 days ago

Congrats. Hope this doesn't give him a heart attack.

#88 28 days ago

Still tuned in....

#89 28 days ago

She’s all cleaned up, already getting sad to see her go.

Time for a few last games.

EF3FF1F2-5726-48F9-82CE-52FDF7170BC7 (resized).jpegEF3FF1F2-5726-48F9-82CE-52FDF7170BC7 (resized).jpeg
#90 28 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Congrats. Hope this doesn't give him a heart attack.

If it happens I got that covered too.

11C65935-6580-42BB-8FAF-53DCE0FC6B97 (resized).jpeg11C65935-6580-42BB-8FAF-53DCE0FC6B97 (resized).jpeg
#91 28 days ago

Nice looking pin and that’s gonna be one happy dude.

Cool info Colson!

#92 28 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

If it happens I got that covered too. [quoted image]

Well crap you have been blessed by Congress. Not sure anyone can trust you now - I officially withdraw my a-ok on this deal

(j/k)

#93 28 days ago

These are the good times, before a wire somewhere comes loose.

#94 28 days ago

Most certainly need to be recognized for that length of service for that job, is basically several lifetimes of stress of other jobs.

#95 28 days ago

Mission Accomplished!

Rather than a heart attack, he was pretty much in shock. Colson was like “is he always this calm?” No, he is not, that’s how we knew he had no clue it was coming!!

In the car on the way home now, TAF all secured, and giving the debrief to him on how all this came together. Expect to see him posting soon.

IMG_9088 (resized).jpegIMG_9088 (resized).jpeg
#96 28 days ago

Great to hear and thanks Colson for making it all come together. Congrats on the recognition too.

The over under odds will be how soon you both get a second machine.

#97 27 days ago

yuzu way to go! That is so awesome. Hope we see you around these parts as well. Two new pinheads is better than one!

#98 27 days ago

Congrats !
Now take him to Allentown pinfest !
Welcome to the pinball community !

#99 27 days ago

50 years in the making!

To everyone on this thread who made this surprise birthday possible - THANK YOU!! TAF and I are finally together at last.

Thank you all for helping make this amazing birthday dream a reality. I'm still in shock that, after years of talking about this game, playing whenever I found one, and saying how much I wanted one, that I actually own this machine. @colsond3, your work on this is just incredible. The lights, the displays, everything is better than I remember. It's almost as amazing as the incredible woman who made this happen.

Reading this thread was potentially the best part of my birthday. I love you @yuzu.

I promise not to buy my 2nd machine anytime soon.

#100 27 days ago

yuzus_husband love you too, hon.

But even though you all just witnessed that commitment, I gotta know… who’s running the betting pool on time to game #2??

Because I even bought us a new hand truck for this whole ordeal, so I want in on the action… momma needs a new pair of shoes after all this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

30,000 (OBO)
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guidance-please-buying-for-husband-s-birthday/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.