(Topic ID: 225115)

Got rear-ended, how to proceed and not get screwed?

By radium

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Worked out great, thanks! Everyone's experience and insight was very helpful.

Pay attention to your rates on your next insurance renewal. I went through the exact same thing as you last year. I was t-boned by a kid that apparently didn't understand what a stop sign was. He sent me flying off into a corn field, and my truck was totalled. He was completely at fault, and my truck was a complete write-off that his insurance took care of.

When I got my insurance renewal the following year, my rates were quoted $25/month higher with about half of the insurance companies I had quoted, because I was involved in a no-fault accident.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I called my insurance and talked to a rep about it but did NOT proceed to file a claim because I was afraid of rate increase and never recovering my deposit.

My insurance was never a part of my incident either, other than asking if I needed their assistance with anything. I found the quickest way to solve my problem was to go directly to the police department, pay $2.00 for a copy of the accident report, and then I called the Insurance company for the other driver listed on the accident report, and dealt with them directly. They were very responsive since I was working directly with the police report, and sent them a copy via email to speed the process up.

Insurance companies will do whatever they can to increase your rates. I GAURANTEE you that regardless if you dealt with your insurance company on the claim, you now have a No-Fault incident on your history. This doesn't mean your insurance will go up, but for a lot of companies, they WILL use it as a reason to raise your rates. I shop for insurance every single year. I don't usually change companies, but do get rates every year. Half of the companies I shopped around with this year included the no-fault accident on their estimates, even though nothing was paid out by my company.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Right, sorry I meant why would his rates potentially go up, if he was at no fault.

Long answer short... because they can. Any reason to raise a rate, they will. Just like these stupid odbc trackers they are offering for discounts. You dont think they will deny a claim based on your driving habits? You get in an accident, odbc says you are doing 10 over... boom... they are going to drop you, or raise your rates.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I guess maybe the little guys could do that? I don't like insurance companies and I've had my problems but I've never seen any added funds because someone hit me.

I used to have Esurance. They tried to raise my rate 15/month because of that no fault accident. I did online quotes with Progressive, Geico, and one other, and all of them quoted higher with the no fault accident.

I ultimately went with American Family this year because they didnt quote higher for the no fault, and didnt have a large premium difference for not using that tracking device.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-rear-ended-how-to-proceed-and-not-get-screwed?tu=ralphwiggum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.