(Topic ID: 225115)

Got rear-ended, how to proceed and not get screwed?

By radium

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Pay attention to your rates on your next insurance renewal. I went through the exact same thing as you last year. I was t-boned by a kid that apparently didn't understand what a stop sign was. He sent me flying off into a corn field, and my truck was totalled. He was completely at fault, and my truck was a complete write-off that his insurance took care of.
    When I got my insurance renewal the following year, my rates were quoted $25/month higher with about half of the insurance companies I had quoted, because I was involved in a no-fault accident.

I called my insurance and talked to a rep about it but did NOT proceed to file a claim because I was afraid of rate increase and never recovering my deposit.

Quoted from sd_tom:

so the winning answer was ignoring nearly everyone to contact your own insurance and instead you took the advice to threaten medical claim fraud ?
    glad it worked out but this seems like the wrong way to go about it.

I was polite about it. I told Geico the damage is very minor and we aren't looking to make problems by involving my insurance or pursuing any frivolous doctors visits. Said we want to keep it quick, cheap and simple for everyone. So far so good but who knows.

#52 7 months ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

so the winning answer was ignoring nearly everyone to contact your own insurance and instead you took the advice to threaten medical claim fraud ?

Agreeing. Your insurance company will get a much better deal from their insurance company than you will on your own, especially if there are injuries, other damages or the vehicle is totaled. It may have worked out in this case, but you generally always want to contact your insurance and they will work it from there. A car ran a yield sign in front of my house, was clipped by another car and plowed through my yard and into my house. My insurance worked with the driver's insurance company, had an inspection done of the minor house damage, I got an estimate done for re-landscaping the yard and told the company to go big, and my insurance got everything covered and more. I ended up with a few thousand in cash after everything was said in done hoping someone would run into my house again

#53 7 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

I called my insurance and talked to a rep about it but did NOT proceed to file a claim because I was afraid of rate increase and never recovering my deposit.

My insurance was never a part of my incident either, other than asking if I needed their assistance with anything. I found the quickest way to solve my problem was to go directly to the police department, pay $2.00 for a copy of the accident report, and then I called the Insurance company for the other driver listed on the accident report, and dealt with them directly. They were very responsive since I was working directly with the police report, and sent them a copy via email to speed the process up.

Insurance companies will do whatever they can to increase your rates. I GAURANTEE you that regardless if you dealt with your insurance company on the claim, you now have a No-Fault incident on your history. This doesn't mean your insurance will go up, but for a lot of companies, they WILL use it as a reason to raise your rates. I shop for insurance every single year. I don't usually change companies, but do get rates every year. Half of the companies I shopped around with this year included the no-fault accident on their estimates, even though nothing was paid out by my company.

#55 7 months ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

Lawyer up and dont talk to the insurance company. A lot of places don't charge unless they win.
    In the future, grab a dashcam. Saved my butt from a crooked cop that tried to say I ran a red light that was clearly green. Once I drew attention to the cam, he immediately lost interest and I was on my way. Good ones can be had for $50.

Nobody was injured. Not likely to get an attorney to take this on a contingency basis. A lawyer shouldn't be needed on a rear end accident for property damage

#56 7 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

Oh really? We weren’t sure if we should involve our insurance company because I don’t want my rate going up.

I can almost guarantee you that your policy of insurance REQUIRES you to report the accident if a certain amount of damage is incurred. Not worth risking them fighting your claim later for not reporting it timely (if you wind up having to go after them instead of GEICO). If you were rear ended, it's not your fault, and your rate should not go up.

#57 7 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

I was polite about it. I told Geico the damage is very minor and we aren't looking to make problems by involving my insurance or pursuing any frivolous doctors visits. Said we want to keep it quick, cheap and simple for everyone. So far so good but who knows.

It is now on your CLUE report. A simple call to your insurance company to ask a question about a potential claim is fair game to report on CLUE.

#58 7 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

My insurance was never a part of my incident either, other than asking if I needed their assistance with anything. I found the quickest way to solve my problem was to go directly to the police department, pay $2.00 for a copy of the accident report, and then I called the Insurance company for the other driver listed on the accident report, and dealt with them directly. They were very responsive since I was working directly with the police report, and sent them a copy via email to speed the process up.
    Insurance companies will do whatever they can to increase your rates. I GAURANTEE you that regardless if you dealt with your insurance company on the claim, you now have a No-Fault incident on your history. This doesn't mean your insurance will go up, but for a lot of companies, they WILL use it as a reason to raise your rates. I shop for insurance every single year. I don't usually change companies, but do get rates every year. Half of the companies I shopped around with this year included the no-fault accident on their estimates, even though nothing was paid out by my company.

I must be missing something? How would he have a no-fault incident when HE was rear-ended and the police report says the other driver was at fault?? Sorry, to make it clearer, why would his rates potentially go up if it wasn't his fault?

#59 7 months ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It is now on your CLUE report. A simple call to your insurance company to ask a question about a potential claim is fair game to report on CLUE.

Not only that, his insurance company would still know about the incident even if he never called them. It will show up based on the GEICO claim (they will get the VIN of his car, and insurance companies all share information about claims). When he goes to renew with his current carrier, they will see it. This is why there is no reason to NOT report the incident/claim to your own insurance company. The only time you would consider doing that is if you are resolving the claim between yourselves, and NO insurance company is involved on either side.

#60 7 months ago

Since you brought up possible medical issues Geico may now offer you each a small amount of money to sign off on filling for any additional medical expenses. Hope they fix your vehicle and put you in a rental why they do just so you know the are supposed to put you in something equal to your vehicle. They will try to put you in some little car. The cheapest rental.

#61 7 months ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I must be missing something? How would he have a no-fault incident when HE was rear-ended and the police report says the other driver was at fault??

Read what you wrote again.

It makes perfect sense.

#62 7 months ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Read what you wrote again.
    It makes perfect sense.

Right, sorry I meant why would his rates potentially go up, if he was at no fault.

#63 7 months ago

I got rear-ended by a person with USAA insurance a few years ago. The damage included my and my wife's expensive road bikes that were mounted on the back. I contacted USAA without getting my insurance involved. I took the car to a body shop and the bikes to reputable bike shop and the insurance paid for all damage with a check after I submitted the estimates and pictures. USAA was very easy to deal with.

#64 7 months ago

Had 2 completely not at fault issues. Once at the light leaving Walmart parking lot. Woman in front of me and people behind. Woman in front decides she wanted to back up and go different direction. All I could do is lay on horn. Backed into me and hit my headlight.

Another time sitting at light, cop behind me and someone turning slid and hit my front. Completely not my fault in any way.

Got dinged with not at fault accidents both times. Oh hell yes my rates went up. Get ready yours will too. Scummy sob's.

Learned my lesson.

#65 7 months ago

radium,

If you don't trust your insurance company enough to involve them in this accident, I highly recommend you go find one that you would trust. This episode was a no-brainer to call the insurance company and have them deal with Geico for you at the first sign of any problems. That's what they are paid to do.

If you can't trust them to handle something that's not your fault, what happens when it is? If you are ever dropped from an insurer, it is very hard (expensive) to get coverage somewhere else. They always ask if you've been dropped.

I have a mainstream company and they have gone to bat for me several times when it was other drivers' fault. I've not had an increase in premium or threaten to cancel do to these. And I didn't have to deal with any of the calls etc. That is the way it is supposed to work, and does for the big guys.

We have also have a couple of fault claims ( I have teenagers) and never worried about cancellation, although my kids rates went up.

I may bay a couple hundred more a year than with a discount insurer, but it is worth it to me.

Also in this scenario there should have never been a deductible at risk unless the driver was uninsured, which doesn't seem like the case here.

#66 7 months ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Right, sorry I meant why would his rates potentially go up, if he was at no fault.

Long answer short... because they can. Any reason to raise a rate, they will. Just like these stupid odbc trackers they are offering for discounts. You dont think they will deny a claim based on your driving habits? You get in an accident, odbc says you are doing 10 over... boom... they are going to drop you, or raise your rates.

#67 7 months ago

Call your agent and report the claim. They will handle it for you. I have been a insurance underwriter for 31 years. Hopefully you have a good company like Statefarm or Allstate!

#68 7 months ago
    Quoted from calprog:

Call your agent and report the claim. They will handle it for you. I have been a insurance underwriter for 31 years. Hopefully you have a good company like Statefarm or Allstate!

I have star farm and they’ve been amazing.

#69 7 months ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Long answer short... because they can. Any reason to raise a rate, they will. Just like these stupid odbc trackers they are offering for discounts. You dont think they will deny a claim based on your driving habits? You get in an accident, odbc says you are doing 10 over... boom... they are going to drop you, or raise your rates.

I guess maybe the little guys could do that? I don't like insurance companies and I've had my problems but I've never seen any added funds because someone hit me.

#70 7 months ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I guess maybe the little guys could do that? I don't like insurance companies and I've had my problems but I've never seen any added funds because someone hit me.

I used to have Esurance. They tried to raise my rate 15/month because of that no fault accident. I did online quotes with Progressive, Geico, and one other, and all of them quoted higher with the no fault accident.

I ultimately went with American Family this year because they didnt quote higher for the no fault, and didnt have a large premium difference for not using that tracking device.

#71 7 months ago

My girlfriend had a lady run into the street at night, while it was raining, outside of a crosswalk, without warning, she ended up grazing the lady and breaking her wrist... The police report and the agent that she was dealing with deemed it an unavoidable and therefore a no-fault incident. The agent assured her that her rates would not be affected even though her insurance payed medical expenses and a payout. Next bill, her rates went up and she was calling up that agent asking him WTF?
    Insurance companies are always looking for a reason to increase premiums.

#72 7 months ago

I was rear ended at a red light a few years ago. The women admitted it was all her fault. Her excuse was she had to sneeze but also had to pee real bad. So she had to decide to cross her legs to not pee herself when she sneezed (and rear end me) or to pee herself and hit the brakes. She choose to rear end me. I made her wait 30 minutes for the police to arrive but they wouldn't take a report since it was less than $1,000 dollars damage. It would just be in the call logs that the accident was reported.

I called my local agent who said to try going through her insurance first since I was not at fault and if that did not work to open a claim. Her insurance was through Amica. They were amazing. That used the estimate from my body shop, paid 100% + car rental for a week and had great communication throughout. My rates never increased. My body shop guy said Amica was one of the best for him to deal with.

Even though it all worked out in the end, I really wish she would have wet herself.

#73 7 months ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

glad it worked out but this seems like the wrong way to go about it.

LOL there's no "medical claim fraud" here. If anyone is committing fraud, it's the insurance company dicking the op around. They will try anything to not pay a claim including giving the claimant a hard time hoping they just go away. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire and give them a little motivation.

"Your insured was clearly at fault. Please fix my car asap as I am being reasonable with you and not claiming injuries. If I don't hear from you within a couple days, I will contact an auto accident injury attorney."

Nice and diplomatic and gets the job done. No need to contact your own insurance company if the other party is clearly at fault. Insurance companies keep record of your claims even if you're not at fault and can hold that against you in the future. Been there done that.

#74 7 months ago

I can't say enough bad about GEICO or enough good about State Farm. This Spring I changed over to State Farm from another company when I bought my latest new van. 18 days later I wrecked both my new van & new trailer (total of over $13,000 in damages). Yes my rates went up from the claim - exactly $67 rate increase on a six month policy. (In PA we can only buy 6 month policies?)

Any insurance company that only raises my rates by $134 a year after I cost them over $13K is A-OK in my book.

#75 7 months ago

I think the OP doesn't need any more advice. He already got it done.....

#76 7 months ago

Still a lot of comments about not getting your insurance company involved when it's not your fault.

Again: if you get the other parties insurance carrier involved, your insurance company will find out about the incident at some point.

#77 7 months ago

Best to just be self-insured if you can afford to be. Just have basic liability insurance where required.

Insurance COmpaNies are your friend, until something goes wrong.....

#78 7 months ago

I am of the opinion any time you get rear ended, you are getting screwed.

#79 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I am of the opinion any time you get rear ended, you are getting screwed.

My wife agrees

#80 7 months ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Any insurance company that only raises my rates by $134 a year after I cost them over $13K is A-OK in my book.

State Farm is expensive, especially for home owner's insurance, at least here in Florida. Had them for car and home for years. I could believe somebody fat fingered something for your rates to only go up that much. I like Farm Bureau. Their online stuff is kinda lame, but my agent is always quick to respond and I at least feel like he is trying to help me save money.

#81 7 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

State Farm is expensive, especially for home owner's insurance, at least here in Florida. Had them for car and home for years. I could believe somebody fat fingered something for your rates to only go up that much. I like Farm Bureau. Their online stuff is kinda lame, but my agent is always quick to respond and I at least feel like he is trying to help me save money.

State Farm would not give me a policy for a condo in Florida. Florida is not a normal state when it comes to home insurance because of severe storms.

#82 7 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

State Farm would not give me a policy for a condo in Florida. Florida is not a normal state when it comes to home insurance because of severe storms.

Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm isn't there.

#83 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm isn't there.

This was in late 2015. They along with all the big companies were not issuing policies in Florida. Florida had to back a bunch of small companies to make sure homeowners there could be covered with policies for a reasonable rate. They are all backed up with a federal insurance protection fund that is funded by all insurance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    $ 6.00
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 159.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside