Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jungle
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    lynda_carter_debra_winger_as_wonder_girl_bYXwRo5.jpg
    dump.jpg
    scrim.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#153 9 years ago

GS is right. Stern Pinball may be his problem, but the survival of pinball in general is ours. If the enthusiast community stops trying to grow the hobby and merely be content to hang out alone in their basement, then pinball will surely die regardless of what JJP and other manufacturers do.

The location play issue is sort of a chicken and egg phenomenon, but again, if you're not doing something to support location pinball, then you're complicit in the death of it.

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

So if I don't drive around town every weekend, playing all the location games, it will die? Pinball is supposed to be fun and not a job. If Stern cannot sell machines, that is their problem not mine. I am not going to buy a $6000-$8000 pin just to keep the hobby alive. Once in a while, I will play a pin on location but more often than not I have better things to do like life. If pinball cannot survive than so be it. Life will go on.

Of course life will go on, but yes, if the enthusiast community gives up on location pinball, then location pinball will die. It sounds like you're OK with that, which is perfectly fine. I, for one, am not.

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree...there are all different kinds of enthusiasts...but us super hardcore hardcores? We alone cannot make a dent in location pinball as a business. When I go to a barcade like 82 - there are a TON of people there...and as far as I can tell, 99% of them are "normal" people who'd never have one of these things in their home...they just want to go out and have a good time. The location itself that uses pinball as part of its experience is what is needed for pinball to thrive on location. Cultivating that is up to businesses & Stern. They do their jobs right, people will flock to it. A few of us hardcore pin maniacs making a point to spend a few bucks a week won't make a dent. It's the "normal" people who will save pinball on location!

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. The Barcade phenomenon is too early to declare victory over the demise of location pinball. We are amazingly fortunate in my community to have the best pinball location for 1000 miles in any direction, yet I am not content to merely stand on the sidelines to see if it succeeds. I will continue to actively promote and support the location and enthusiast community to the best of my ability in order to help them survive and prosper.

#163 9 years ago

You seem to be under the assumption that these Barcade locations will be successful and a stable reservoir for location pinball into the future. I am not so optimistic, which is why I am trying to stack the deck more in favor of location pinball by an intention to help it succeed. Not by dropping a few bucks into the machine, which I agree is of little value, but by networking with would-be enthusiasts and collaborating with the location to create attractive events which enhance the social aspect and allure of pinball.

#174 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, that's fantastic and I wish you luck if that's how you chose to spend your time. However, don't put the burden of this task on every one of us. It's not my job. We're all allowed to enjoy pinball however we choose without getting guilt tripped about it.

Sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that everyone needs to be as invested as I am. As long as collectors live, there will be machines to enjoy and that will be enough for many. My personal crusade is towards a much loftier scenario, and this is just how I express it.

#231 9 years ago

Lloyd, 5 years ago as a complete newb I asked on RGP "what is the best way to support pinball?" And this was your response:

5/20/10Lloyd Olson
    I've been contemplating this post for some time, and very much not wanting
    to make a all the kings horses and all the kings men can't put pinball back
    together again type response.
    But as I think about the last ten years. We've seen more shows, more
    tournaments, more leagues, at least as far as the hobby more availability of
    much needed parts, more collectors, lots of great games from Stern.

Yet pinball is in worse shape now than ten years ago after the demise of
    Williams.

And a few years ago Stern had some of the brightest people ever working over
    there, and they couldn't make a difference. They actually had a negative
    effect.

I think we are long at the point of needing a new idea. So we can get out of
    the negative effect thing that has been going on. Where everything done
    makes things worse.

The answer is there. We just have to come up with it. LTG

"alveolus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:76791c5c-67cb-44ae-9baf-f57a4f3dfc71@c11g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

*****end post*****

So, how would you reflect on the past 5years and answer the question now?

Shawn

#247 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

The INDUSTRY needs how to figure out how to be profitable, that includes the pin makers and the operators ... it is their issue not ours. We will support the industry, each in our own way, and as the builders/operators find ways to engage the customer base at a level that makes it appealing then new players will join or old players will be retained. If you can find value in purchasing NIB or spending time at a barcade/arcade good for you but it is NOT our responsibility or duty to buy new machines or play on location. The INDUSTRY grows or dies by its own hands.
    Half way between industry and hobby is the group collecting/selling/swapping the newest pinball machines as a business/hobby (profit over play). It certainly appears to have a strong following and would suffer if manufacturing ceases/weakens but I have no interest in that aspect. (see* below)
    A real HOBBY is different and the lack of new manufacturers or locations might hurt a group within the hobby (see above) but would not kill the hobby itself. The loss of manufacturing will have the indirect consequence of increased prices for older pins but if new machines are built and continue to climb in price the same thing will happen to the older machines anyway. (see * below)
    There are many ways to define the way we choose to participate in the hobby. I have a collection of pinball machines but I’m not a “collector”, I’m a player/owner and playing is the best part. There are collectors who gather a large collection and play a little but the collection is the best part. There are some who can manage both but not me. (see * below)
    The tournament aspect is a unique segment that DOES require nurturing and growth to sustain and I fully support those who go above and beyond to assure they, and others, will be able to participate but I don’t compete so it truly isn’t my issue (see * below)
    I support conventions and gatherings of owners and players as a great way to keep the hobby mainstream, if the industry wants a part of the action then they should sponsor these events at higher financial levels so it is more affordable for the general public which in turn would encourage newcomers.
    * If Stern (and/or all pin makers) locked the doors tomorrow and all the locations closed down I would still have a hobby and I would still find machines to own, maintain and play for years to come because there are tens of thousands out there. I realize that it doesn't work for everybody but for me a hobby doesn't require widespread or mainstream acceptance or growth. I guess it is selfish of me but I got into owning pins for me, not for “the greater good” of pinball. I do enjoy sharing my interest with others and would never discourage ownership or location play (quite the opposite). That said should there come a day when I can’t play pinball … life will go on (or it has already stopped going on ).

If you are content to play alone, with your static number of machines at your house, in a world with no new pinball manufacturers, no aftermarket parts(replacement boards, ramps, plastics,etc), then great for you. You are not part of this argument. For those of us who are enjoying all that comes with the current renaissance of pinball and wish to see it continue and expand, the "That's their problem" argument doesn't work. Where the passion and an ability to make a difference exists, there is an obligation to the self to be involved.

#252 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

Not much on reading comprehension? Where did I say I was content to play alone?? I said I got into ownership so I had my own machines to play (yes mostly due to limited locations near me) not because of some notion that I'm saving the hobby. I play on location whenever I am back home in CO but I do it because I like to play not because I'm trying to "save pinball". The location owners better treat me well ... good maintenance and fair prices ... or I will stop going. I will choose to spend my money wisely not piss it away because "pinball deserves to survive".
    Again I said that if no new machines were built I would be able to find machines to own and maintain for years because there are TENS of THOUSANDS out there in the world as we speak ... so the notion that the hobby dies without new machines is silly. It may not meet YOUR version of the hobby but it can meet mine. I have two late model Stern but I could just as easily have bought 10 EMs or 3-4 SS etc.
    I spoke about the manufacturers of new machines and arcade owners not the suppliers of replacement parts. They would likely flourish in a world without new machines because of a dependance on maintaining older machines.
    "Where the passion and an ability to make a difference exists, there is an obligation to the self to be involved."
    WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PINBALL MACHINES not plugging the ozone layer or saving the rain forests, jump down off that pillar of self-righteousness and put that passion into something REAL not arcade games.

If its all the same to you, I'll put my passion into wherever I want. I have plenty to go around.

Also, no reason to get angry. If you don't care if pinball dies, you have nothing to be concerned about and no reason to feel guilty about it. There are plenty of other threads for you to read (at least for now

#257 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

You know, I really like this idea. I'd like to take it a step further.
    Imagine (as a maker of pinball machines), sponsoring the digital game; making it effectively free to get exposure. Do this while the game is in production; while people can buy NIB. For the market segment of NIB buyers, this gives them exposure to a new game (particularly if nobody has it on route nearby). For those who aren't going to buy a game... perhaps this will help them voice interest with what few route operators are left.
    I can totally see that games post-production no longer being vendor-sponsored - and having to pay for the table instead.

I love this idea too, but it would require Stern to ship with completed code.

#276 9 years ago

Of course Rare Hero supports the hobby. Most everyone here does and I'm grateful for all of them.

I think the split is specifically with regards to location play. Some folks get irked with GS for suggesting they aren't doing enough unless they are supporting location play, and disagree with that notion. Others agree with GS in principle that location play is vital to the success of pinball as we know it now and what we hope it can become in the future. As someone in the latter camp, it is a natural extension of this persuasion to promote it and recruit others to join the crusade. Clearly I could do a better job of diplomacy here on Pinside and will effort to that end.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-tpf-talking-points-1?tu=alveolus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.