Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

202-1.jpg
    201-1.jpg
    198-1.jpg
    197-1.jpg
    195-1.jpg
    164-1.jpg
    162-1.jpg
    165-1.jpg
    163-1.jpg
    160-1.jpg
    159-1.jpg
    158-1.jpg
    156-1.jpg
    157-1.jpg
    155-1.jpg
    154-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 9 years ago

I went to my first auction many years ago and was surprised to see sellers bidding on their own machines. They were often the winning bidder. I was told this was a "buyback" and was normal at pinball auctions. In the case of a "buyback", the seller pays some small fee for auctioning his machine but doesn't have to pay any of the fees a real buyer would be charged for winning an auction.

There were quite a few sellers at that auction and some were willing to let their machines go at good prices so it still seemed like there were deals to be found.

If there is only one seller at the auction and he has a reputation for wanting retail + for his games, chances of getting a decent value, let alone a good deal, are practically nil.

I don't see how not having a reserve makes any difference to the buyers when the sellers are allowed to bid on their own machines. Seems like it just makes it easier for the seller since he doesn't need to be present and actually bidding to insure he gets his required minimum price. I suppose it's also a good marketing ploy to be able to advertise it as a "No Reserve" auction since many people are familiar with the term on Ebay, where it actually means something.

One thing that is often missed when you look at a list of hammer prices after the fact is the true condition of the game. This can be difficult to determine even when you're at the auction. It was rare if you could open the backbox to see if the boards were hacked or even all there on non-functioning machines.

I was surprised at how much people were willing to bid on machines without being able to open them up and inspect them fully.

Edit: Was writing my post as Jwo825 was posting his. Almost identical thoughts.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Some people in here act like there is a zero percent chance of anyone getting a great buy, and I just do not think this is true at all. It's not fair to all the great time, effort and work Steve and others is putting into this auction to make it great.

I guess I qualify as "some people". I hope you're right Jared and people get some good deals. I think if I were in Steve's shoes, I would let a couple of games go for a really good price.

That way, I (or others) could point to them later to prove that crazy good deals can be found at my auctions thus quieting the naysayers and improving business at future auctions.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I told him to let the 10 project games at a potential loss as a sign of good will, and he agreed. 10 games, no reserve, pure bidding.

Great! Look forward to seeing the auction results after TPF.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-pinball-auction-tpf-2015-positive-changes?tu=jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.