Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

202-1.jpg
    201-1.jpg
    198-1.jpg
    197-1.jpg
    195-1.jpg
    164-1.jpg
    162-1.jpg
    165-1.jpg
    163-1.jpg
    160-1.jpg
    159-1.jpg
    158-1.jpg
    156-1.jpg
    157-1.jpg
    155-1.jpg
    154-1.jpg

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jopper:

Jared, is this true? Are you a paid promoter: 1) of the TPF event in general; and, 2) of the Fun! auction in particular or by virtue of "yes" to question 1?

Quoted from Jared:

I am assisting Steve with the power-point presentation and live-streaming of the event, so I am happy to help answer any questions, concerns or feedback you may have. To those not interested in the auction, you should at least be interested in playing 100 games you would not have otherwise. This is a good thing.

Jared's compensation is between him and Steve of Fun!. But it is obvious that he is working on the Fun! auction.

Jared is not a TPF organizer and he is not on the TPF Staff.

For any questions that are TPF specific, you can contact the organizers via the website, www.texaspinball.com

Thanks.

Marcus

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Jared's compensation is between him and Steve of Fun!. But it is obvious that he is working on the Fun! auction.
    Jared is not a TPF organizer and he is not on the TPF Staff.
    For any questions that are TPF specific, you can contact the organizers via the website, http://www.texaspinball.com
    Thanks.
    Marcus

Thanks Marcus. Really appreciate it and looking forward to meeting you and the other members of the TPF staff. And for the record, I couldn't care less "what" Jared's compensation is with Steve. But whether he has a financial interest does appear germane as it sheds light on the weight to be given his statements. I believe we're all looking forward to playing Steve's games. And I will take responsibility for much of this discussion, or as much as some may want to attribute, in that I simply requested a "heads up" on what games being auctioned have a reserve. Not "how much" is the reserve, but simply "is a reserve set" on the game at all. Seems a pretty small disclosure for Fun! to make.

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I thought it was that Monster energy liquid.

A bit after Justice Brandies' time . . .

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jopper:

Jared, is this true? Are you a paid promoter: 1) of the TPF event in general; and, 2) of the Fun! auction in particular or by virtue of "yes" to question 1?

2: Yes, it is true. I help Steve out with events, social media, graphic design and online marketing. For this event, I am helping with the slideshow and live-streaming, as well as relaying feedback from pinside/facebook/email to him to make improvement on the show over 2014.

I am NOT paid or compensated by TPF to promote the TPF, but I am also promoting them anyways by virtue of the pinball auction and just because I love sharing awesome events with my friends and followers on social media.

That all said, when I speak here, I do not do so with a FUN! muzzle in my mouth. I do so as I normally would, paid or not. Truly. Steve does not tell me what to say, and when I speak here I speak as Jared and not as Steve.

Any other questions? Haha.

#105 9 years ago

Will there be free food and drinks?

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jopper:

I simply requested a "heads up" on what games being auctioned have a reserve. Not "how much" is the reserve, but simply "is a reserve set" on the game at all. Seems a pretty small disclosure for Fun! to make.

I called in about this one today, and the auctioneer has his own discretion to announce before bidding "This machine is going up at NO RESERVE" as he did many times last year. The auctioneer can see on his sheet if a game has a reserve or not. My thought is that he will in fact indicate up front if we should expect no reserve, or just not mention it if there is one. I was told that this is a "on the spot" decision by the auctioneer. I know for a fact he said it several times last year.

Now, if you guys think that Steve had some person calling in and bidding secretly on the no reserve games himself, there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. Steve told me that they didn't: so I believe him.

Some people in here act like there is a zero percent chance of anyone getting a great buy, and I just do not think this is true at all. It's not fair to all the great time, effort and work Steve and others is putting into this auction to make it great.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Will there be free food and drinks?

TPF is providing all exhibitors with a meal ticket. So, I suppose if you buy a game, and you didn't already have one in there, you get a ticket, and therefore: food and drinks. Seems to add up, no?

"- a $10 TPF Chuck Wagon food voucher* per registered game"
    "*TPF Chuck Wagon food vouchers will be redeemable at any of the gourmet food trucks scheduled to be at the event or at the hotel concession bar on the floor (pending approval). Limit of 10 vouchers per Exhibitor."

http://texaspinball.com/tpf/exhibitors/exhibitors-main/

#108 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure the meal ticket will only be for those who register and bring a game. Otherwise you could sell a Raven for $50 all day and everyone could grab a ticket and sell it down the line.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

I'm pretty sure the meal ticket will only be for those who register and bring a game. Otherwise you could sell a Raven for $50 all day and everyone could grab a ticket and sell it down the line.

Well, I was told by Ed that anyone who bought a game at the auction gets a raffle ticket that is good for the $500 drawing on Sunday at the close of the show. This was detailed in the OP. If ED is willing to give every auction winner a raffle ticket, I would imagine he would be willing to give them a meal ticket too, but the meal ticket part is my inference not a fact I have heard myself. I am sure my phone will go off shortly with the facts, as it always seems to do. lol.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

a $10 TPF Chuck Wagon food voucher

allyoucaneat.jpegallyoucaneat.jpeg
    Sometimes I just can't help myself..

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Some people in here act like there is a zero percent chance of anyone getting a great buy, and I just do not think this is true at all. It's not fair to all the great time, effort and work Steve and others is putting into this auction to make it great.

I guess I qualify as "some people". I hope you're right Jared and people get some good deals. I think if I were in Steve's shoes, I would let a couple of games go for a really good price.

That way, I (or others) could point to them later to prove that crazy good deals can be found at my auctions thus quieting the naysayers and improving business at future auctions.

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I think if I were in Steve's shoes, I would let a couple of games go for a really good price.

I told him to let the 10 project games at a potential loss as a sign of good will, and he agreed. 10 games, no reserve, pure bidding. Possible he takes a big bath on these 10. I was very excited for him to agree to do this, and coming here and talking about it on pinside I sort of felt like "its not good enough" and it was a little defeating.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I told him to let the 10 project games at a potential loss as a sign of good will, and he agreed. 10 games, no reserve, pure bidding.

Great! Look forward to seeing the auction results after TPF.

#114 9 years ago

Luckily, for those of us on the east coast, there is no need to travel to this auction. We have Barry to provide the same calibur of merchandise right here

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

2: Yes, it is true. I help Steve out with events, social media, graphic design and online marketing. For this event, I am helping with the slideshow and live-streaming, as well as relaying feedback from pinside/facebook/email to him to make improvement on the show over 2014.
    I am NOT paid or compensated by TPF to promote the TPF, but I am also promoting them anyways by virtue of the pinball auction and just because I love sharing awesome events with my friends and followers on social media.
    That all said, when I speak here, I do not do so with a FUN! muzzle in my mouth. I do so as I normally would, paid or not. Truly. Steve does not tell me what to say, and when I speak here I speak as Jared and not as Steve.
    Any other questions? Haha.

fyi... Jared does a really great job helping the auction run very smoothly and professionally.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

fyi... Jared does a really great job helping the auction run very smoothly and professionally.

Wow... thank you.

I promise that we will do our best. And finish as quickly as possible...

So I can get back to playing pinball. lol.

#117 9 years ago

I came here to read about this just because I miss old school auctions, which this isn't, but it gave me nice warm fuzzies of back in the day... anyway, I can answer something!

Quoted from Jared:

If you have a valid resale certificate (tax-id) then you do not have to pay 8.25%, unless I am mistaken.

If you have a valid resale certificate, and you are purchasing the machine as part of your inventory with the plan to resell it, you do not need to pay sales tax. If you have a valid resale certificate and you are purchasing the machine to route, put in your breakroom, or depreciate for fun, you need to pay sales tax even with the resale certificate.

If you are purchasing a machine as an individual, and you are using a resale certificate, that's a whole different level of what you're not supposed to do.

Theoretically, if you buy a pin in a different state and ship it to Texas (where you live), you're supposed to pay 'use tax' on it when it arrives to the state of Texas.

There are grey areas with buying from individuals and stuff like that, but at an auction there really isn't that same sort of grey area. Hope that helps some people.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I came here to read about this just because I miss old school auctions, which this isn't, but it gave me nice warm fuzzies of back in the day... anyway, I can answer something!

If you have a valid resale certificate, and you are purchasing the machine as part of your inventory with the plan to resell it, you do not need to pay sales tax. If you have a valid resale certificate and you are purchasing the machine to route, put in your breakroom, or depreciate for fun, you need to pay sales tax even with the resale certificate.
    If you are purchasing a machine as an individual, and you are using a resale certificate, that's a whole different level of what you're not supposed to do.
    Theoretically, if you buy a pin in a different state and ship it to Texas (where you live), you're supposed to pay 'use tax' on it when it arrives to the state of Texas.
    There are grey areas with buying from individuals and stuff like that, but at an auction there really isn't that same sort of grey area.

100% accurate.

#119 9 years ago

Here's my 2 worthless cents on the auction.

First, Steve is a retailer and he's looking to get top dollar for all machines. So in general his reserve is going to be high and that's ok. He can ask any number he wants. I do also thank you for bringing so many pins to the show Fun!.

Jared, I would agree that some of the prices listed in the link provided from last years auction could be considered good deals IF those were the sale prices, IF there were no additional buyers premium, and IF the games were very clean and working 100%. I'm not going to go through the entire list, but this is a good example: on page 1, TAF listed at $4600 but buyer is "on site" so it didn't sell. I have no idea what the actual condition of that TAF was, but 4600 would be a good price for a clean (not just a wipe to the top you can reach, but stripped down and fully cleaned), 100% working TAF, even a players condition. Even adding just sales tax $4979.50 wouldn't be bad. Obviously if in better condition, that becomes even a better deal. Add the 10% buyers premium and then 8.25% sales tax and that price swells to $5477.45. Again, if it's a really nice clean TAF that works perfectly, that's not a terrible price either. But clearly the reserve wasn't met.

The other issue is that in general, machines at most any pinball auction tend to have some issue, either mechanically, cosmetically, or both. Very rarely have they been torn down and thoroughly cleaned, properly repaired, etc. The TPF auction was no different for the small sub section of auction pins I played prior to the auction. I certainly didn't play every game in the auction and I'm sure there were several that were clean and played great. But the few I did play had issues.

I know at least one of the WOZ had several, if not all, feature lights out. I'm not sure if that was the prototype one that Jared said sold for $6100 or the other that listed at 6500. Both show they were "on site" so it appears neither sold at auction. The cheapest was $5350, which after buyers premium and sales tax comes to $6370.51, so I'm not sure where the 6100 number came from. I also played the Red and Teds Roadshow and couldn't make a single ramp shot because the flippers were so weak. It sorely needed flipper rebuilds. That really saddened me, as the flippers are the heart of the pinball and if you buy in bulk, it's really cheap to rebuild a set of flippers on a W/B game. $40 is about all it takes when buying in bulk and that includes new flipper coils. It apparently sold for $2200 hammer price or $2619.65 after fees and taxes. With a faded cabinet, playfield wear, and needing flipper rebuilds at the very least, even 2200 wasn't a deal.

Having been in the industry a long time and having been to many, many auctions, I expect that. I know that 99% of machines I buy at auction will need attention and so I set my self imposed limit accordingly. So I say to anyone interested in seeing an auction....go and see what happens, just be disciplined. Set your limits and stick to them.....that's the biggest mistake auction bidders make is getting caught up in a bidding war. I went and sat for a little while, which was a nice little rest for my feet. I didn't choose to stay through the entire auction, as there were only a few titles I was even interested in and once they passed for far above my self imposed limit, I wanted to go enjoy more pinball.

There is one thing that has rubbed me the wrong way a little about this auction....but maybe Jared can clear this up. Fun! is the auction company correct? He owns the auction company and is auctioning his own equipment in general right? I realize there might be some consignments, but in general it's all his stuff? I'm sure he's got a consignment fee set up with those customers too anyway. If that's the case.....why the buyers premium at all? It's not a required fee from what I understand. I understand why auction companies charge a buyers premium, insertion fees, or sellers premium, but those auctioneers don't usually own the equipment and they have far more overhead, such as renting the auction venue. For example Superauctions from years past. They had to rent the venue in Mesquite, so they have that overhead plus the travel expenses to come to Texas. I know some of their guys brought some of their own games to auction, but in general, most stuff there is not owned by the auctioneer. The only way the auctioneer generates any income is from the insertion fees, buyers, and sellers premiums.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fun! isn't having to rent the venue to sell at TPF and while he does have some costs of transporting all the pins to the venue and conducting the auction, he is located in the same city. He's already wanting retail prices, which carry a large profit margin.......just seems like adding a 10% buyers premium to his already high markups at an essentially free venue with thousands of potential buyers heavily interested in the products he deals in is unnecessary. I'm sure dropping that 10% buyers premium, at least to bidders on site, might entice a bit higher bids and hence more sales.

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big70:

Set your limits and stick to them.....that's the biggest mistake auction bidders make is getting caught up in a bidding war.

So, I just have to share - my favorite auction story...

I really wanted a Maximum Force - the arcade video machine. I LOVE that machine, and it is far easier to find dedicated Area 51s than Maximum Forces, especially in really nice shape. There was one at auction, and I decided to bid on it.

I knew I was bidding against the owner when I started bidding, but I was okay with that. I actually defend the rights of the seller to bid on their own items, because I know I have talked to other buyers before and said, "Hey, I'm going to go $1000 on that pin, how about you?" If my buddy said I'm going to go $1200, I wouldn't bid - even if it sold for $700... so if we can collude and screw the seller, the seller should be able to protect his investment.

Anyway, I set my limit for the machine at $300, with added fees it would be about $350. The bidding started at $200, and I bid that. The owner bid $225. I held back to see if anyone else was bidding, no, so I bid $250. The owner bid $275. I looked right at him and I said, "This is my final bid, take it or leave it" and bid $300, said if he wants it the number is whatever my number was, and then put it in my pocket. The auctioneer and the owner both looked flabbergasted (this was early on in the auction, and a lot of people didn't realize he was the owner... oops ) and the owner then said, "let him have it." so I got it right at my price.

I'm positive that he would have tried driving it up more had I not said that. Still one of the favorite machines I own to this day

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big70:

Here's my 2 worthless cents on the auction.
    First, Steve is a retailer and he's looking to get top dollar for all machines. So in general his reserve is going to be high and that's ok. He can ask any number he wants. I do also thank you for bringing so many pins to the show Fun!.
    Jared, I would agree that some of the prices listed in the link provided from last years auction could be considered good deals IF those were the sale prices, IF there were no additional buyers premium, and IF the games were very clean and working 100%. I'm not going to go through the entire list, but this is a good example: on page 1, TAF listed at $4600 but buyer is "on site" so it didn't sell. I have no idea what the actual condition of that TAF was, but 4600 would be a good price for a clean (not just a wipe to the top you can reach, but stripped down and fully cleaned), 100% working TAF, even a players condition. Even adding just sales tax $4979.50 wouldn't be bad. Obviously if in better condition, that becomes even a better deal. Add the 10% buyers premium and then 8.25% sales tax and that price swells to $5477.45. Again, if it's a really nice clean TAF that works perfectly, that's not a terrible price either. But clearly the reserve wasn't met.
    The other issue is that in general, machines at most any pinball auction tend to have some issue, either mechanically, cosmetically, or both. Very rarely have they been torn down and thoroughly cleaned, properly repaired, etc. The TPF auction was no different for the small sub section of auction pins I played prior to the auction. I certainly didn't play every game in the auction and I'm sure there were several that were clean and played great. But the few I did play had issues.
    I know at least one of the WOZ had several, if not all, feature lights out. I'm not sure if that was the prototype one that Jared said sold for $6100 or the other that listed at 6500. Both show they were "on site" so it appears neither sold at auction. The cheapest was $5350, which after buyers premium and sales tax comes to $6370.51, so I'm not sure where the 6100 number came from. I also played the Red and Teds roadshow and couldn't make a single ramp shot because the flippers were so weak. It sorely needed flipper rebuilds. That really saddened me, as the flippers are the heart of the pinball and if you buy in bulk, it's really cheap to rebuild a set of flippers on a W/B game. $40 is about all it takes when buying in bulk and that includes new flipper coils. It apparently sold for $2200 hammer price or $2619.65 after fees and taxes. With a faded cabinet, playfield wear, and needing flipper rebuilds at the very least, even 2200 wasn't a deal.
    Having been in the industry a long time and having been to many, many auctions, I expect that. I know that 99% of machines I buy at auction will need attention and so I set my self imposed limit accordingly. So I say to anyone interested in seeing an auction....go and see what happens, just be disciplined. Set your limits and stick to them.....that's the biggest mistake auction bidders make is getting caught up in a bidding war. I went and sat for a little while, which was a nice little rest for my feet. I didn't choose to stay through the entire auction, as there were only a few titles I was even interested in and once they passed for far above my self imposed limit, I wanted to go enjoy more pinball.
    There is one thing that has rubbed me the wrong way a little about this auction....but maybe Jared can clear this up. Fun! is the auction company correct? He owns the auction company and is auctioning his own equipment in general right? I realize there might be some consignments, but in general it's all his stuff? I'm sure he's got a consignment fee set up with those customers too anyway. If that's the case.....why the buyers premium at all? It's not a required fee from what I understand. I understand why auction companies charge a buyers premium, insertion fees, or sellers premium, but those auctioneers don't usually own the equipment and they have far more overhead, such as renting the auction venue. For example Superauctions from years past. They had to rent the venue in Mesquite, so they have that overhead plus the travel expenses to come to Texas. I know some of their guys brought some of their own games to auction, but in general, most stuff there is not owned by the auctioneer. The only way the auctioneer generates any income is from the insertion fees, buyers, and sellers premiums.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fun! isn't having to rent the venue to sell at TPF and while he does have some costs of transporting all the pins to the venue and conducting the auction, he is located in the same city. He's already wanting retail prices, which carry a large profit margin.......just seems like adding a 10% buyers premium to his already high markups at an essentially free venue with thousands of potential buyers heavily interested in the products he deals in is unnecessary. I'm sure dropping that 10% buyers premium, at least to bidders on site, might entice a bit higher bids and hence more sales.

Yes and no. Most bidders don't think enough to add the 10% in, those that do pay attention add it into the price anyway so why not have it there? It provides him with an extra 10% for instances that people don't know how an auction works well or forget as they are bidding. Also for him he knows whatever the sale price is that he is going to add 10% to the hammer price and that alone might allow him to accept an overall price (hammer and fee) for a game. Also I don't know if FUN! is a licensed auctioneer so maybe its the fee the auctioneer takes? Either way, to me I don't care if the premium is 100% or nothing, I keep that in mind when I bid because at the end of the day when I pay my bill its all the same.

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big70:

I can chime in on some of this that I know about.

FUN! is also an auction company yes. It's a separate business from "FUN! Billiards and Gameroom Superstore" but yes, the same person owns it and coincidentally FUN! Auction Company is auctioning off inventory that is from FUN! Billiards and Gameroom Superstore. There are several consignments, but I am not sure of an exact number nor do I know that one would be told to me if I were to ask.

As far as costs, I think that is where you might not be seeing the bigger picture.

There is a whole gamut of costs, (which I should point out, is not normally something an auction company would discuss in public, but then again I am not an employee, I am not Steve, and this is a discussion forum). The costs and trouble to move 100 machines is a big deal, as you might imagine. I also know that the auctioneer, whom Steve hires, is a super seasoned professional, the kind of guy you see on television. This is a guy who owns and teaches an entire auctioneer school. He is big money just to come and talk for 3 hours on a mic, but I admit, I have no idea how much, only that it is not cheap. Yes, he is in the same Metroplex, but transporting nearly his entire store to Frisco from Mesquite for 3 days is no easy task... one that would not be worth the trouble if there was not money to be made frankly. At least, thats how I feel, he never said that himself.

Anyways, I am sure that fee adjustment really could change things, but here is what I do know, and that is Steve did well enough in 2014 with the auction that he was eager to come back in 2015 and do it again. So he must have done well, even if some of you speculate that 3/4 of the games were bought back, I do not know if that is actually true, but if it were, only selling 25% of your games and it STILL being worth the time, trouble, money and effort.. I think that says a lot.

I did hear this directly "Online was huge for us last year, just huge". So I have spent a lot of time doing what can be done to increase the online side of things since we do not expect any more or less people LIVE in person than in 2014. There were about 100 online bidder last year (without video), this year we are adding streaming HD video of the auction and hope to hit 250 online bidders.

Anyways, thats what I know, but I am happy to ask more questions.

Thanks for your post, well written.

#123 9 years ago

There have been some posts that say, more or less, that the games that did sell sold for more than fair market value. Playing devils advocate: Isn't FMV that price that someone was willing to pay at that time and place for that machine? It would be impossible to sell a machine for more. . .

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Anyways, I am sure that fee adjustment really could change things, but here is what I do know, and that is Steve did well enough in 2014 with the auction that he was eager to come back in 2015 and do it again. So he must have done well, even if some of you speculate that 3/4 of the games were bought back, I do not know if that is actually true, but if it were, only selling 25% of your games and it STILL being worth the time, trouble, money and effort.. I think that says a lot.

Yea.. it says he's making a sh*tton of money off the few games he DID sell, which kinda indicates how overpriced they were Can't really blame him if people are willing to pay, although there is a bit of taking advantage of the newbies here...

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Can't really blame him if people are willing to pay, although there is a bit of taking advantage of the newbies here...

Not everyone that pays more than bargain prices feels taken advantage. People make choices based on a variety of reasons. Sometimes those reasons don't occur or make sense to others.

#126 9 years ago

Sometimes people just want something "right now" and don't care what the cost is because it's not worth the time, trouble and delay to save the money to them...

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Not everyone that pays more than bargain prices feels taken advantage. People make choices based on a variety of reasons. Sometimes those reasons don't occur or make sense to others.

Exactly.
    For example, take my wife...

#128 9 years ago

...please

#129 9 years ago

Ba da bump.

#130 9 years ago

Am I reading correctly that only 17 machines were actually sold last year?

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Am I reading correctly that only 17 machines were actually sold last year?

Yeah. Most sold back to FUN, though.

#132 9 years ago

I'm positive I lost 3 hours reading this thread.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm positive I lost 3 hours reading this thread.

It took you 3 hours to read 132 posts? You need glasses old man

#134 9 years ago

I can only hope that the auction is much better than last year.

Quoted from jwo825:It took you 3 hours to read 132 posts? You need glasses old man

Just was referencing how people felt after last year's auction.
    I can only hope that the auction is much better this year.

#135 9 years ago

I can only hope that the auction is much better than last year.

Just was referencing how people felt after last year's auction.
    I can only hope that the auction is much better this year.

I just noticed your total crept up to 38. You have problems, my friend. lol

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

I just noticed your total crept up to 38. You have problems, my friend. lol

Not until I run out of some friends I can lend out machines to. I refuse to pay for storage.
    Have to keep them rotated so I don't get bored easily.

#137 9 years ago

Not until I run out of some friends I can lend out machines to. I refuse to pay for storage.
    Have to keep them rotated so I don't get bored easily.

You might have to find some friends in the Dallas area. *COUGH*

#138 9 years ago

Here are the project games!!! No reserve! Will sell for $1 if that's all someone bids on them!!

Pics in a few hours!

SOLAR RIDE PINBALL BY GOTTLIEB ~ PROJECT

PANTHERA PINBALL MACHINE ~ PROJECT GOTTLIEB

CORVETTE PINBALL MACHINE BY BALLY

BIG HURT PINBALL MACHINE BY GOTTLIEB

STARGATE PINBALL MACHINE ~ GOTTLIEB GAME

JURASSIC PARK PINBALL MACHINE by DATA EAST

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION PINBALL MACHINE

TERMINATOR 2 JUDGMENT DAY PINBALL MACHINE BY WILLIAMS

WORLD CUP SOCCER PINBALL MACHINE by BALLY

LAST ACTION HERO PINBALL MACHINE by DATA EAST

CYCLONE PINBALL MACHINES by WILLIAMS

HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS PINBALL MACHINE

#139 9 years ago

15 of mine definitely are project games. Some of which I have no doubt some people would part them out. Maybe I have enough games to have my own auction.

#140 9 years ago

I bet several of those will do really well

#141 9 years ago

Half of Jared's list would interest me.

#142 9 years ago

Jared, would the project games be at the beginning, scattered out, or toward the end of the auction?

#143 9 years ago

How about they have a no reserve auction and make it a real auction for once. Though hell would need to freeze over for that.

#144 9 years ago

Jared, would the project games be at the beginning, scattered out, or toward the end of the auction?

Scattered I presume.

I think just before the auction begins a list of order will handed out, but it will be day of.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

How about they have a no reserve auction and make it a real auction for once. Though hell would need to freeze over for that.

Even with no reserve, Texas law does not prevent the owner of a game from bidding on his own game. Now, I DO NOT know if steve does this or not, but I was personally assured that in regards to the project games, (which are being considered as a marketing expense for the auction), steve genuinely has no care in what they fetch: or not. Good or bad, he's indifferent.

I really, really hope that no-one bids one the WCS because if it's decent I would bid $500-$750 on it and fix it up over time, for sure.

The project games are the only ones likely to be in my meager budget, so I'll be bidding on several of them myself for sure.

#146 9 years ago

Jared, I know you mentioned earlier that each project will be on the floor for our inspection. Are we going to be able to lift the playfields and open up the heads to check for boards and any other possible missing parts?

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I really, really hope that no-one bids one the WCS because if it's decent I would bid $500-$750 on it and fix it up over time, for sure.

I'm sure all FUN! employees willl be bidding on these. jk

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I'm sure all FUN! employees willl be bidding on these. jk

I'm not an employee! lol I'm a contractor!!

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big70:

Jared, I know you mentioned earlier that each project will be on the floor for our inspection. Are we going to be able to lift the playfields and open up the heads to check for boards and any other possible missing parts?

I'll confirm.

I've never been allowed to do this at a game auction I've attended.

#150 9 years ago

If the games aren't locked I always do, especially if something isn't working. Many others at auctions open them up too. Even when the auctions are at putt putts or other family fun centers. I'll ask the staff at fun center auctions to open it up & they usually will. Last pin I bought not being able took inside was my Corvette. It played, but the engine wasn't working to lock balls. Ended up missing the slave & master control board, both of which are only made for that pin. Took me a year & half to find a set.

It's only fair to know just how much of a project we are getting into. I've got a Flintstones missing tons on the bottom side, but the top side is populated. If I couldn't open it, it just looks like it's missing the flipper paddles at a quick glance.

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fun-pinball-auction-tpf-2015-positive-changes/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.