Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8518 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240309-163550.png
image (resized).jpg
#1 56 days ago

I received a DOA Firepower that a lady from a thrift store wanted working. I started by replacing the 40 pin. I got a game working with no sound or speech. Rebuilt a sound board and speech board and all was well. Played a dozen games, left it on in my garage for a while, no issues. I dropped it back off to the owner and she said she had it on for an hour and smelled something, displays were flickering and she shut it off.

I got there and seen a solenoid fuse was blown right away. So I checked sweep on the coils to make sure none were locked up and ohmed out each one and all were fine. Replaced the fuse and had a functioning game, displays were all on except the credit/match field. Display test shows that display and segments are working but in normal gameplay nothing is being displayed in that field, it’s simply blank. You can see a little orange dot at the bottom of the display if you look at it from the top or side.

She wanted it on quarter play so I made it quarter play via the settings and everything was working fine when I left the day I dropped it off. The lockout coil is not wired in. Now after the incident, the knocker for credits isn’t even registering. So I placed it back on free play for her and told her I would do a little research.

#2 55 days ago

Not sure of any specific recommendations i can make at the moment, but figured I'd ask: have the rom sockets been replaced? I had a problem a while back where the game would occasionally lock up, sometimes blowing the solenoid fuse in the process--it ultimately came down to a bad rom socket causing the crashes...

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with this type of problem can chime in.

Good luck!

#3 55 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Not sure of any specific recommendations i can make at the moment, but figured I'd ask: have the rom sockets been replaced? I had a problem a while back where the game would occasionally lock up, sometimes blowing the solenoid fuse in the process--it ultimately came down to a bad rom socket causing the crashes...
Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with this type of problem can chime in.
Good luck!

No they have not been replaced. I can bounce that off of her and see if that’s something she would be willing to go for.

1 week later
#4 49 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Good luck!

Got the MPU back into my possession. The chip legs in IC14 just crumbled as I removed the chip so I’m guessing that may not be helping.

Why am I having such an issue finding information on that IC14 chip? I search for the numbers on the chip and can’t find one to buy/burn. I do have a burner and eraser that I’m itching to use so I was hoping I could just buy a chip and run it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5 49 days ago

Sounds like you're getting closer to the culprit. IC14 is listed on the parts list as Firepower Game ROM -- it's much further down the list from most of the ICs for the mpu:

Screenshot_20240309-163550.pngScreenshot_20240309-163550.png

If i recall correctly, the reason you can't find it most places is that Williams had those chips made with their own stamping/codes. I recall trying to locate a 40-pin chip a while back that turned out to be a typical 6821 PIA even though the stamp on it wasn't familiar.

You can find the roms for free at ipdb.org, along with schematics if you need em. Hopefully a new rom will be the solution!

#6 48 days ago

It's recommended to burn the Firepower combo ROM to get rid of the top row of 3 PROMs. Does require some modification to the board

#7 48 days ago

PM sent

1 week later
#8 40 days ago

PINTEC shot me an email with the ROM code.
I ordered three EPROM's and sockets. I am going to start with IC14 as the others look to be in OK shape and I cant imagine those would necessarily affect the display as to not work anymore during gameplay.

IC14 had the significant corrosion on it and the extremely weak legs. I have never burned a chip before, so I am looking forward to attempting to use that this week. The game is about 20-30 minutes from me, so I am going to try and get everything I can done on the MPU before taking it back to her to test out. I am hoping this will solve the display issue.

#9 38 days ago

Well, I "think" I burned the chip?
I went through a few "How To's" on YouTube and verified the chip was blank, wrote the GAMEROM code to the chip and then it verifies.

I dont have the Firepower at my house so I can't ensure its all working. I am going to replace the socket for IC14 at a minimum (started last night and a pad/trace lifted) and go from there.

#10 37 days ago

Well, the chip burning works.
However, I still have no display on that credit portion during gameplay.

When I enter into the test screen and cycle through the modes and screen test, however, the display works. My first picture is supposed to show the ball/match display working, and the credit display not working. The second picture shows that both displays are working and that is in the settings/test mode.

The owner didn’t seem to mind, but I am absolutely stumped and it’s going to bother me

IMG_8517 (resized).jpegIMG_8517 (resized).jpegIMG_8518 (resized).jpegIMG_8518 (resized).jpeg

#11 37 days ago

Clear the nvram it's possible the credits are set to a non displayable value.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-no-credits-match-showing-but-display-works and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.