• Latest reply 11 hours ago by spidey
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is buying Steve Ritchie's Elton John?”

• Only if it's not Elton John 29 votes
    4%
  • I'm a Steve Ritchie Fan and can't wait to see what he has done with it! 108 votes
    14%
  • I'll make up my mind after expo 81 votes
    11%
  • Please God don't be Elton John 274 votes
    36%
  • Next title please! 267 votes
    35%

(759 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0780 (resized).JPG
DSCN0779 (resized).JPG
IMG_7771 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
641576EB-0803-423B-8DBC-83105A851E3D.gif
IMG_6183.jpeg
IMG_6186.jpeg
JJP Super Kit (resized).jpg
350261786_1590528618099089_4327790555646466687_n (resized).jpg
IMG_5265 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5298 (resized).png
IMG_9307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9302 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,556 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 92.
#3951 3 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:I do go through games fast but I have to say this game is pretty freaking amazing in all aspects. Wait to you guys hear the new sound system it is shockingly good.

Coaster is a great pinsider and if anyone is looking for an Elton-he always hooks people up when he does sell. I will chime in on the sound system...How loud can you listen to Elton John music? For me I can only crank up so much before it becomes annoying. I have been able to make sound adjustments on Stern games with their new equalizer settings and the sound quality is great and very loud-I can go up to about 30 before it hurts the ears. Most of today's manufactures have made the stock sound system great and all that is needed is a 10" Polk to compliment. Not sure how many people have actually gone in and played with sound settings in adjustments menu.

#3952 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Coaster is a great pinsider and if anyone is looking for an Elton-he always hooks people up when he does sell. I will chime in on the sound system...How loud can you listen to Elton John music? For me I can only crank up so much before it becomes annoying. I have been able to make sound adjustments on Stern games with their new equalizer settings and the sound quality is great and very loud-I can go up to about 30 before it hurts the ears. Most of today's manufactures have made the stock sound system great and all that is needed is a 10" Polk to compliment. Not sure how many people have actually gone in and played with sound settings in adjustments menu.

I like how you turned the post into a Stern praising

#3953 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I like how you turned the post into a Stern praising

So just so you know this is the HYPE thread and there is now an owners thread to go to. When Coaster said it was way better than Stern's system that is where I scratched my head? Again-How loud can you crank up Elton? I am truly happy for those interested in Elton but being a Steve Ritchie fan-it let me down and now I am moving on-or at least trying to

#3954 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So just so you know this is the HYPE thread and there is now an owners thread to go to. When Coaster said it was way better than Stern's system that is where I scratched my head? Again-How loud can you crank up Elton? I am truly happy for those interested in Elton but being a Steve Ritchie fan-it let me down and now I am moving on-or at least trying to

I hear you I’m still moving on from Stern trashing my favorite band ever LED ZEPPELIN!I still remember the LZ vs GnR argument on the LZ thread.haha

#3955 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I hear you I’m still moving on from Stern trashing my favorite band ever LED ZEPPELIN!I still remember the LZ vs GnR argument on the LZ thread.haha

-We all know who won that compitition

#3956 3 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m very happy with my Wonka

I still would like to get one of these one day. Had an opportunity to pick up an LE from the final build (2021 limited run I think) but passed at that time. I'll pick one up HUO at some point. Does look like a fun one and Pat Lawlor's last best game IMHO (not a fan of Toy Story).

#3957 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

-We all know who won that compitition

You can’t be serious!

IMG_9402 (resized).pngIMG_9402 (resized).png
#3958 3 months ago

I’m always a stern fan but their quality has gone to crap and JJP is stepping up their game big time; while stern is putting out games like venom and just see what issues people are having with recent sterns that are produced

#3959 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Elton’s sound system is way beyond sterns. I’ve been an audio fan for 30 years. Sterns have zero bass as we add external subs. Elton sound reminds me of the first time I ever heard a really nice set of speakers. Plenty of clean bass and super mids and high’s without any distortion and it’s plenty loud enough. I have set to 25 and it’s killer.

I will also say that JJp quality is awesome. This game weighs a ton. I had to track down one lose harness so I’ve been through the game. The build quality is simply outstanding.

#3960 3 months ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

I still would like to get one of these one day. Had an opportunity to pick up an LE from the final build (2021 limited run I think) but passed at that time. I'll pick one up HUO at some point. Does look like a fun one and Pat Lawlor's last best game IMHO (not a fan of Toy Story).

Wonka is still our favorite by a long shot. It has a high level of challenge, really well-structured code and progressive disclosure of rewards that keeps you reaching.

#3961 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I’ve had most every new stern for 13 years and all I’m saying is the sound QUALITY of this game is just better all around. You get one in a home and listen then report back. I’m a stern fan too.
It’s not about anything but sound.

It’s not just about cranking up Elton either. Every single sound effect from the playfield is outstanding clarity and range.

#3962 3 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I’ve had most every new stern for 13 years and all I’m saying is the sound QUALITY of this game is just better all around. You get one in a home and listen then report back. I’m a stern fan too.
It’s not about anything but sound.
It’s not just about cranking up Elton either. Every single sound effect from the playfield is outstanding clarity and range.

I concur.

#3963 3 months ago

Had a chance to shoot an EJ today at Game Exchange here in CO (thanks for scoring one JJ) and agree with most of the positive comments here. Nothing new to say but worth repeating:

1. Shoots great. Even my wife commented on how well it flowed. Ritchie game, so no surprise there.

2. Sound quality was definitely solid. Music was very clean and clear. Now, if JJP would just hire Thiel back and get rid of the stupid, generic, sfx library sounds from the 80s it could be a first class sound package.

3. Flippers felt amazing. Far better than previous JJPs.

Only problem with the game was the Elton figure at the piano was not working at all. I assume this is a game that has been on the show circuit and has a billion plays on it so not a big deal. And the Tiny Dancer figurine wasn't beheaded or broken in half so that was a good sign. LOL.

Overall - it's a good game and whether you like it comes down to your EJ tolerance.

For me, I was a little skeptical going in but after playing it I find it an enjoyable game. Certainly better than I was expecting and better than some other recent games out there. IMHO anyway.

#3964 3 months ago

They may have it off. Some route Metallica turn off the sparky coils to move head to save it a little.

#3965 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

What’s link to owners thread I can’t find it.

#3966 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You can’t be serious!
[quoted image]

well, was thinking you were talking about playfields... than SHOW ME THE MARK !

oups

#3967 3 months ago

Mine is ordered, will receive it in the next weeks. At first I was like lots of us and said : "No tks, don't like the theme" ... in fact, I didn't really knew a lot about Elton John. I knew that he was a great artist but not much more. Played it at the Expo and my jaw literally dropped, easily the game of the show for me ... then I watched hours of livestream and was flabbergasted by everything. A light show that makes anything from other manufacturers feels boring and dated, great songs and superb music, incredible sound effects (don't understand all the whining about them, they are great and fits the theme to perfection).

My love for pinball made me a fan of Elton John. The guy is a musical genius with a colorful style and personality, very eccentric and funky too, which fits pinball to perfection and makes for a great theme. Rules are quite easy to understand this time around (way easier than my Wonka and Godfather) but there is no way this game will be easy to beat.

Flow is ... well this is Steve Ritchie. The game simply puts a big smile on your face when you play it as it's soooooo fast and "alive" !! ... my distributor (Player One Canada) told me they never saw a pinball that was coming close as for as beauty and lighting goes, they have a lot of pre-order. I know that out of the box it sounds great, but it'll sound even better since I ordered a JJP Pinwoofer super kit. Installed this kit on my Wonka and Godfather and to me, this is a no brainer. Will post a detailed review after 1-2 months of ownership.

#3968 3 months ago
Quoted from MagicJack:

Mine is ordered, will receive it in the next weeks. At first I was like lots of us and said : "No tks, don't like the theme" ... in fact, I didn't really knew a lot about Elton John. I know that he was a great artist but no much more. Played it at the Expo and my jaw literally dropped, easily the game of the show for me ... then I watched hours of livestream and was flabbergasted by everything. Light show that makes anything from other manufacturers feel boring and dated, great songs and superb music, incredible sound effects (don't understand the whining about them, they are perfect and fits the theme perfectly).
My love for pinball made me a fan of Elton John. The guy is a musical genius with a colorful style and personality, very eccentric and funky too, which fits pinball to perfection and makes for a great pinball theme. Rules are quite easy to understand this time around (way easier than my Wonka and Godfather) but there is no way this game will be easier to beat.
Flow is ... well this is Steve Ritchie. The game simply puts a big smile on your face when you play it as it's soooooo fast and "alive" !! ... my distributor (Player One Canada) told me they never saw a pinball that was coming close as for as beauty and lighting goes, they have a lot in pre-order. I know that out of the box it sounds great, but it'll sound even better since I ordered a JJP Pinwoofer super kit. Installed this kit on my Wonka and Godfather and to me, this is a no brainer. Will post a detailed review after 1-2 months of ownership.

You wont't need pinwoofer imo. The sound is outstanding. low lows even. Sounds great. I agree with ecerything you say. People light up when they see/play it. its a work of art.

#3969 3 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

You wont't need pinwoofer imo. The sound is outstanding. low lows even. Sounds great. I agree with ecerything you say. People light up when they see/play it. its a work of art.

I agree that the sound is outstanding, it's not that the game "need" it, it's just that with better components (Dan from Pinwoofer confirmed that JJP used the same woofer/twitter/sound board, he sends me pictures) it will sounds even better. It will sound great out of the box but It will most surely sounds even better with top components.

#3970 3 months ago
Quoted from MagicJack:

I agree that the sound is outstanding, it's not that the game "need" it, it's just that with better components (Dan from Pinwoofer confirmed that JJP used the same woofer/twitter/sound board, he sends me pictures) it will sounds even better. It will sound great out of the box but It will most surely sounds even better with top components.

Well thanks......

{thinking}

#3971 3 months ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, was thinking you were talking about playfields... than SHOW ME THE MARK !
oups

Nope nothing to do with playfields.
There was an argument on the LZ hype thread and Stern fans were actually saying the artwork on LZ was better then GnR lol

#3972 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

Anyone know if Elton is at Silverball yet in Asbury?

Confirmed. Silverball now has Elton....

#3973 3 months ago
Quoted from MagicJack:

Hey MagicJack !

We're waiting on ours too and agree this game is amazing!

We also expect our system to improve the audio experience based on what we've know from a pre-production unit. It is of course our hope to change EJ from improved to epic, but only time will tell.

There were rumors of upgraded electronics and / or speakers and some photos of a production machine might help to steer this conversation.

I personally expect the same-as-before bill of materials and speculate some effort was put into the ALSA driver and carrying forward the Graphic EQ.

Give me a shout when you are ready to work through your settings.

Best wishes to all for a prosperous new year!

Thanks,

Dan
+1 208-855-0346
[email protected]
PinWoofer.com

#3974 3 months ago

Hey Guys:

I read that the words 'Elton John' on the playfield light up with RGB LED's.

Anyone know if they just light up randomly or are lit during certain modes?

Thanks.

Roger

#3975 3 months ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hey Guys:
I read that the words 'Elton John' on the playfield light up with RGB LED's.
Anyone know if they just light up randomly or are lit during certain modes?
Thanks.
Roger

Not sure about modes yet. They change often though. They’re spectacular.

#3976 3 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

What’s link to owners thread I can’t find it.

There was one-they must of taken it down for some reason? The game has shipped so no reason not to have an owners thread?

I have a question about Elton-How is the sound quality?

-Wonder what Steve is working on now? Harry Potter? -Inquiring minds want to know

#3977 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

There was one-they must of taken it down for some reason? The game has shipped so no reason not to have an owners thread?
-Wonder what Steve is working on now? Harry Potter? -Inquiring minds want to know

The sound quality is good in Elton John. I heard people stating that the sound system has been redone in EJ and maybe it has but my GF sounds just as good IMO, of course adding a powered external sub makes a big difference.

#3978 3 months ago

Nothing but good being said about sound and flippers but good!
Hogwarts Castle will be Eric’s baby.
Matrix is perfect for Steve

#3979 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Did you read any of the posts here?

#3981 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Quoted from VisitorQ:

Ooops! That first part was supposed to be a quote from pinmister earlier and the second was my response lol

#3982 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ooops! That first part was supposed to be a quote from pinmister earlier and the second was my response lol

lol. No worries, I've done that myself in the past.

#3983 3 months ago

3 days later.. when will the bitch be back?

1 week later
#3984 3 months ago

Enterrium *did* have EJ.....but it's now off the floor. Rumor has it Steve Ritchie visited and was less than enthused by the shape of the machine. Apparently it was a floor model during Expo, and it had a few major issues. The wire form ramp that dumps the ball onto the playfield on the left was loose (missing an entire screw) and the upper right flipper had a busted bushing, which caused it to drag on the playfield.

#3985 3 months ago

Played EJ more at Silverball (Asbury Park) this weekend. Many stuck ball issues but otherwise ok. The flippers felt good. Stood out in the museum but it has really become a museum…not a single new Stern and many unmaintained pins - so EJ really stood out. I would say that JJP was successful in addressing the multiball and flipper strength issues that I have become accustomed. Great lights and sound. Shooter a bit limp. It’s worth adding to your collection but for me the theme makes it hard for me to make the investment.

#3986 3 months ago
Quoted from Xero:

Rumor has it Steve Ritchie visited and was less than enthused by the shape of the machine. Apparently it was a floor model during Expo, and it had a few major issues.

Hope they get some of these issues resolved. The one I played had multiple issues as well including piano not working properly. I was thinking the other day the Tiny Dancer better be made of high strength titanium or she will be prone to breaking from ball hits(Tiny Dancer Titanium mod-cough). Time will tell as these are starting to ship out now.

#3987 3 months ago

My first Billion!

IMG_4473 (resized).jpegIMG_4473 (resized).jpeg
#3988 3 months ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

My first Billion!
[quoted image]

I’m trying!!!!!!

#3989 3 months ago

Mines been rock solid so far. I’ve not had one stuck ball anywhere and the glass hasn’t come off.

#3990 3 months ago

Last time I played EJ on location I notice that ramp that dumps the ball out onto the pf was a little more prone to center drains than the first time I played it, like it shifted. I'm sure it's a very easy adjustment and fix to recenter it.

#3991 3 months ago

Edit-

NVM its one from the Madison scene that will be coming our way, not the enterrium one.

#3992 3 months ago

The game is obviously not selling well. CE is still available for purchase directly...

The amount of chatter even in this thread compare to Jaws is terrible.

It's like EJ has already came and went.

#3993 3 months ago

If the game had a version that started under 10,000 that had everything included like a premium stern I think this game would be selling much better.

But honestly, the lack of code updates, and the amount of chatter of not so great customer support likely has something to do with this as well. For sure one of the reasons I’m kind of sitting back right now is to see if they do provide significant updates in a timely manner. I’m sure if people start seeing new updates on a more regular basis that would likely help sales. I know I have owned three jersey jack Machines previously and I was definitely frustrated by the lack of support from Jersey Jack themselves along with the feeling that they don’t really stand behind the product after you purchase it.

At this point Jersey Jack will likely never sell anywhere near as many units as Stern as long as they continue to not offer affordable options to purchase.

#3994 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

From what I understand that machine is making the rounds to different locations to drum up interest. Its supposed to be coming to my local watering hole soon.
edit- now, thinking about it more, it might be one of the Madison spots that has the game making the rounds, so don't quote me on the Enterrium thing.

It's back on the floor as of last night at Enterrium.

#3995 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Correct, right after Godfather came and went.

I'd love to play EJ (if I can ever find one), I think it's a great theme. But I thought the same about Godfather.

Probably a good thing I'm not running a pinball company.

#3996 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

The game is obviously not selling well. CE is still available for purchase directly...
The amount of chatter even in this thread compare to Jaws is terrible.

If you're gonna do a C- theme, you can't charge an A++ price.

#3997 3 months ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

If the game had a version that started under 10,000 that had everything included like a premium stern I think this game would be selling much better.
But honestly, the lack of code updates, and the amount of chatter of not so great customer support likely has something to do with this as well. For sure one of the reasons I’m kind of sitting back right now is to see if they do provide significant updates in a timely manner. I’m sure if people start seeing new updates on a more regular basis that would likely help sales. I know I have owned three jersey jack Machines previously and I was definitely frustrated by the lack of support from Jersey Jack themselves along with the feeling that they don’t really stand behind the product after you purchase it.
At this point Jersey Jack will likely never sell anywhere near as many units as Stern as long as they continue to not offer affordable options to purchase.

JJP has AMAZING customer support! Really, really, really good CS! I can speak first hand on this as I have dealt with them many of times and it's top notch from my experience.

#3998 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Correct, right after Godfather came and went.
I'd love to play EJ (if I can ever find one), I think it's a great theme. But I thought the same about Godfather.
Probably a good thing I'm not running a pinball company.

You will enjoy it when you get a chance to play it. It shoots great, theme and everything else aside. It's a great playing pin but there are a few things beyond that which makes me not as interested in buying one. I'm not saying I would never own one but I'm not interested in buying one NIB at this time.

You're right. Godfather kinda came and went as well. I own a GF CE and I enjoy it because it plays a lot different than the other Stern titles that I own but just like EJ, it's certainly not for everyone.

#3999 3 months ago
Quoted from Xero:

It's back on the floor as of last night at Enterrium.

Yeah I was wrong I got confirmation that game isn't the one I was thinking of

#4000 3 months ago

This game probably would have done better if they removed Elton John entirely and went as a generic theme, this has fun animations.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Elton John PE Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

There are 4,556 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 92.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elton-john-hype-thread/page/80?hl=pinheadedm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.