• Latest reply 35 minutes ago by coasterguy
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is buying Steve Ritchie's Elton John?”

• Only if it's not Elton John 29 votes
    4%
  • I'm a Steve Ritchie Fan and can't wait to see what he has done with it! 108 votes
    14%
  • I'll make up my mind after expo 81 votes
    11%
  • Please God don't be Elton John 274 votes
    36%
  • Next title please! 268 votes
    35%

(760 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FF (resized).png
IMG_6778 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6779 (resized).png
IMG_9595 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6776 (resized).png
IMG_6775 (resized).png
DSCN0780 (resized).JPG
DSCN0779 (resized).JPG
IMG_7771 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0982 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
641576EB-0803-423B-8DBC-83105A851E3D.gif
IMG_6183.jpeg
IMG_6186.jpeg
JJP Super Kit (resized).jpg
350261786_1590528618099089_4327790555646466687_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,601 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 93.
#851 6 months ago
Quoted from apessino:

Has anyone considered that maybe it's not an Elton John pin... maybe it's The Who's Tommy, and Elton is just featured as the Pinball Wizard? And maybe Elton did the callouts.
I would be super excited for that, not going to lie.

Still hoping for that. That's certainly more epic. As I have said in previous posts, The Who music is more Steve's style. Taking on the Who/Tommy/Pinball Wizard as a cross-over would be epic. That's in my opinion a more bankable theme. We shall see very soon. Either way I'm excited for a new pin and more excited to see what Steve brings to the pin-table..... I do believe it will be a world under glass and just may surprise many of us. Franchi has had a Captain Fantastic for 2 years for inspiration so really looking forward to the art on this one and lots of retro throwbacks I hope.

#852 6 months ago
Quoted from apessino:

Has anyone considered that maybe it's not an Elton John pin... maybe it's The Who's Tommy....

Best case right there. EJ is next best case. Worst case is the Tommy Broadway show.

#853 6 months ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Still hoping for that. That's certainly more epic. As I have said in previous posts, The Who music is more Steve's style. Taking on the Who/Tommy/Pinball Wizard as a cross-over would be epic. That's in my opinion a more bankable theme. We shall see very soon. Either way I'm excited for a new pin and more excited to see what Steve brings to the pin-table..... I do believe it will be a world under glass and just may surprise many of us. Franchi has had a Captain Fantastic for 2 years for inspiration so really looking forward to the art on this one and lots of retro throwbacks I hope.

It is 100% Elton John. You can read Elton John on the new teaser photo.

#854 6 months ago

There’s s lot of price complaining, that is the end consumers problem (decrease in resale value). Also unsold stock is not their issue. If distributors nerd to buy 40 games minimum to stay dustributor then the same thing will happen as with the last game ->instant sell out. I think the LE quantity (you can better call in a Premium as with Stern), is more of a bonus.
JJP has now 3 CE games of 1000 pieces released in a year (if you count from first release), this is a major upgrade for them!

Let’s assume they have 5K margin on the CE (cost to manufacture 9K, 1K for distributors), that is 5K profit per one run of CE alone, this covers easily all their fixed costs for a year. The other 2 CE’s are bonus, they would survive on one a year easily!!!

#855 6 months ago
Quoted from aldrichg9:

definitely not a fan of an Elton John theme
But Toy Story has certainly not been a bomb at all.
Prices on used are doing far better than anything stern is doing.
Sure, godfather is dropping faster but it doesn’t seem to me like Jersey jack is desperate for success (in caps as you put it)
You are just being dramatic, in my opinion.

Toy Story hasn’t been a bomb? Prices on used are holding well?

You could be the definition of delusional. Not sure what pinball market you’re talking about when they can’t give away a 15k CE for thousands less.

Are you Zach from Flip N Out by any chance? haha

#856 6 months ago
Quoted from Faust:

that is 5K profit per one run of CE alone, this covers easily all their fixed costs for a year. The other 2 CE’s are bonus, they would survive on one a year easily!!!

Noone here knows what their fixed costs are. Their Mirco loan repayments, their rent, their staffing. Nor what their margins are. And you can bet that if distros are sitting on old stock, they aren't going to have the capital to buy more just to sit on it.

#857 6 months ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Noone here knows what their fixed costs are. Their Mirco loan repayments, their rent, their staffing. Nor what their margins are. And you can bet that if distros are sitting on old stock, they aren't going to have the capital to buy more just to sit on it.

Yes, that is right. It is just an estimation.
But compared to their earlier volumes of CE's (200 and 500), and the amount of games they made previously yearly, they have made a big leap forward.
Sure we may see Toy Story CE's still for sales but they have for sure allocated all the 1000 CE's.

Indeed on the long run the first ones going to have a problem are distro's with the least amount of cash, because if you need to get a loan to finance the 40 games of inventory with the current interest rates, it is going to hurt quickly if they don't move within half a year.

#858 6 months ago

Good morning..
One more day fellas....

#859 6 months ago
Quoted from Faust:

Sure we may see Toy Story CE's still for sales but they have for sure allocated all the 1000 CE's.

So there could be 300-400 of them still sitting at distributors unsold. Good for JJP, but REALLY bad for distributors with them being available way below MSRP on the secondary market. Or maybe they didn't actually make all 1000? No way they sell all 1000 CEs for Godfather, so my guess is JJP were smart enough to cut off production and start up Elton John.

#860 6 months ago
Quoted from John_I:So there could be 300-400 of them still sitting at distributors unsold. Good for JJP, but REALLY bad for distributors with them being available way below MSRP on the secondary market. Or maybe they didn't actually make all 1000? No way they sell all 1000 CEs for Godfather, so my guess is JJP were smart enough to cut off production and start up Elton John.

They should only build them based on demand. They can rerun later on if more are needed. Question..... If a distributor is allocated 10, do they have to buy all 10 from JJP to resell?

#861 6 months ago

I for one am just going to wait for the reveal before I start complaining. People crapped all over Iron Maiden, but it’s still one of the most intense heart pounding games I’ve played to date. Sure the theme wasn’t everyone’s favorite, but man is it a fun playfield design with rewarding shots.

#862 6 months ago
Quoted from pldubya43:I for one am just going to wait for the reveal before I start complaining. People crapped all over Iron Maiden, but it’s still one of the most intense heart pounding games I’ve played to date. Sure the theme wasn’t everyone’s favorite, but man is it a fun playfield design with rewarding shots.

Couldn’t agree more!!!

#863 6 months ago
Quoted from aldrichg9:

How about bond pro selling just over 6k?
And venoms already hitting the used market at decent prices?

Yeah that’s exactly the same as losing $4000 on a Toy Story.

Come on man.

#864 6 months ago

Hopefully JJP announces code updates, substantial code updates, for Pirates and especially GNR at Expo. Same goes for Godfather and Toy Story. Why buy yet another JJP pin for $12k - $15k when they haven't polished titles 3 - 5 games back? Even Zach from SDTM mentioned how releasing more code is an "easy" way to sell more games in his Toy Story review. Come on JJP.

Sitting this one out no matter how good it looks as I've been here before. The same thing in regards to poor code support could happen with Elton John. A few small update to begin with, a game filled with generic multiballs, and then radio silence for years.

Meanwhile you can buy a Stern for less that receives regular updates. Just look at what Stern recently did with JP and now Rush. Same thing will happen with Godzilla which is rumored to have even more updates released. Established games continuing to receive meaningful updates. Stern gets it, great support = happier customers and more sales.

GNR LE's are now selling for close to $8k and it's primarily due to the lack of code updates for the game. Do you want to buy a new JJP and lose $3k - $4k within just a couple years?

#865 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that’s exactly the same as losing $4000 on a Toy Story.
Come on man.

Right? I think at CLE PIN Tilt was selling show games for 6300? Bond has been out almost a year…I don’t think a year old Stern selling for like 800 less than MSRP is really a sign of the end of days for Stern here…

#866 6 months ago

You guys know when Elton John video is supposed to drop? Always excited to see a new pin drop, regardless of theme. Hope you fans get what you want.

#867 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hopefully JJP announces code updates, substantial code updates, for Pirates and especially GNR at Expo. Same goes for Godfather and Toy Story. Why buy yet another JJP pin for $12k - $15k when they haven't polished titles 3 - 5 games back? Even Zach from SDTM mentioned how releasing more code is an "easy" way to sell more games in his Toy Story review. Come on JJP.
Sitting this one out no matter how good it looks as I've been here before. The same thing in regards to poor code support could happen with Elton John. A few small update to begin with, a game filled with generic multiballs, and then radio silence for years.
Meanwhile you can buy a Stern for less that receives regular updates. Just look at what Stern recently did with JP and now Rush. Same thing will happen with Godzilla which is rumored to have even more updates released. Established games continuing to receive meaningful updates. Stern gets it, great support = happier customers and more sales.
GNR LE's are now selling for close to $8k and it's primarily due to the lack of code updates for the game. Do you want to buy a new JJP and lose $3k - $4k within just a couple years?

Jjp hater !!!!!

#868 6 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Right? I think at CLE PIN Tilt was selling show games for 6300? Bond has been out almost a year…I don’t think a year old Stern selling for like 800 less than MSRP is really a sign of the end of days for Stern here…

Look how much their latest LE's are taking a hit on the secondary market. Stern raised prices too much just like JJP. I understand one sale doesn't mean all games are suddenly worth that price, just an observation.

At $13k new the latest Stern LE's are taking close to a $2k - $3k loss on the secondary market. That's similar to a JJP CE taking a $2k - $4k loss or a JJP LE taking a $2k - $3k loss. Overall a 25% hit on average between both companies.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 093501123 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-10-18 093501123 (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-10-18 093025 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-10-18 093025 (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-10-18 093041 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-10-18 093041 (resized).png

#869 6 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Can I ask you an honest to god question. Why do you use whom 100% of the time?

Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it's aboot time he clues us all in.

Quoted from chad:

And Aboot too.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I wouldn't knowm what else to use

At least he doesn't say "grap"

"Grap" is the ultimate mystery word on pinside.

#870 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jjp hater !!!!!

Nope Panzer is just a tool for the haters lol
By the way I do agree JJP needs to do more fucking code updates.I hope you’re listening Jack!Im tired of this issue being an issue!You fixed flippers and playfields now fix this!!!

#871 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At $13k new the latest Stern LE's are taking close to a $2k - $3k loss on the secondary market. That's similar to a JJP CE taking a $2k - $4k loss or a JJP LE taking a $2k - $3k loss. Overall a 25% hit on average between both companies.

20% drop in value by opening the box is actually close to being to back to "normal". The newer collectors are probably unaware but this was standard pre-pandemic. This is why buying NIB was a rare thing. It meant you were paying a price for the "honor" of opening the box.

What blows my mind is the fact that some actually believe that it's normal to buy something new, use it, and then expect all your money back (or even a profit) when you sell it. Rude awakening for some of the noobs. Welcome to reality.

#872 6 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

20% drop in value by opening the box is actually close to being to back to "normal". The newer collectors are probably unaware but this was standard pre-pandemic. This is why buying NIB was a rare thing. It meant you were paying a price for the "honor" of opening the box.
What blows my mind is the fact that some actually believe that it's normal to buy something new, use it, and then expect all your money back (or even a profit) when you sell it. Rude awakening for some of the noobs. Welcome to reality.

I was about to make this exact point. Insert cargument here....

#873 6 months ago
Quoted from Johne417:

Your wife sounds like a keeper man. Personal theme preferences aside, if my wife was super excited about STh and EJ, I'd be the happy owner of two new modern pins in my house in the near future.

She is. 100%. I’m just amazed at him many of the themes she wants are dropping left and right. JAWS is on her radar as well.

#874 6 months ago

The endless debate on "value". I get it, but I tell you, I don't obsess over it. I have a 911 I drive on weekends. Not once have I gone to a car valuation website and checked what it was worth. I get it, but in this hobby, it is all anyone seems to talk about. My collection is built by me, for me and what each machine means to me, in its looks, its layout, its code, every one of them, completely different. I move some on, but not many. Just moved Led Zeppelin Premium and Mando Premium out. Nothing against them, just not fun, TO ME. This is the most subjective hobby with far different constituents than any other hobby I can think of. The collectors, the collectors/players, the tournament players and the Wana be tournament players (raising hand), the flippers, the restorers and combinations of each. Back to this thread, my JJP's are different, I have a GNR LE, a TS CE and a GF CE and will be ordering an EJ, probably a CE but want to see what the LE brings to the table. They are all such a change of pace from other manufacturers. I do not see me ever moving them on, but again, that is my subjective opinion. Guess my meandering point is yes, they are extraordinarily expensive toys, about the most discretionary purchase imaginable, but we love it don't we? Anyway, my 2 cents.

#875 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You guys know when Elton John video is supposed to drop? Always excited to see a new pin drop, regardless of theme. Hope you fans get what you want.

12EST.

#876 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Look how much their latest LE's are taking a hit on the secondary market. Stern raised prices too much just like JJP. I understand one sale doesn't mean all games are suddenly worth that price, just an observation.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

2-3k isn’t 25% of 13k, but if you’re only going to look at Stern LEs as an example then you’re probably doing yourself a disservice since most Stern buyers aren’t spending 13K on a new game. The point of entry for a new JJP is 12K MSRP and 7K for a new Stern. When new Stern pros are selling for 5300 you might have a point.

#877 6 months ago

I’m just glad someone had the courage and insight to compare pinball machines to cars.

#878 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m just glad someone had the courage and insight to compare pinball machines to cars.

Interesting. I don’t believe you have made this point before.

#879 6 months ago

Alot of people are buying pinball machines for the wrong reason, these are toys not stocks.

#880 6 months ago

And no I would never spend 15000 on a elton john themed pinball machine, a bttf yes

#881 6 months ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Alot of people are buying pinball machines for the wrong reason, these are toys not stocks.

I feel like a lot of folks have used "investment" all too often as the argument to get approval from the wife to buy pins.

#882 6 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

It could be a jaw dropper and I wouldn’t buy it. I thought Iron Maiden would be the only music themed pin i was totally against… but I think this tops it.
I mean… the Venn diagram of the potential buyers on this one must be quite the sight!

I have nothing against Elton John, but the comment above is correct. It's not a popular theme for Pinsiders, as shown on The Ultimate Pinball Theme Survey:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-ultimate-pinball-theme-survey-2023

Only 5 people out of 308 responding chose Elton John as a theme they would be excited about. That doesn't bode well for JJP.

#883 6 months ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I have nothing against Elton John, but the comment above is correct. It's not a popular theme for Pinsiders, as shown on The Ultimate Pinball Theme Survey:
Only 5 people out of 308 responding chose Elton John as a theme they would be excited about. That doesn't bode well for JJP.

I would like to state for the record that I've never seen an episode of Elvira, yet I have and love the game. It's out on a temporary trade for Monster Bash, full of monster movie references I've never seen. It's also a great game. So long as a theme and art is not actively offensive (non-campy horror for me) a game is a possibility if its good enough.

I've already written my piece but the success or failure of this game will come down to code.

#884 6 months ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

And no I would never spend 15000 on a elton john themed pinball machine, a bttf yes

Shhhh Gary is listening

#885 6 months ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I find it hard to believe that people are still doing this.

#886 6 months ago
Quoted from Grantman:

And JJP had a huge success with GNR. Fans want rock pins, not adult contemporary or whatever you classify Elton John music as. Might as well be more relevant and go with Taylor Swift if it's just about who can sell out a large venue. Makes no sense especially for Steve Ritchie with his catalogue of past games.

#887 6 months ago
Quoted from JakePG:

I find it hard to believe that people are still doing this.

Got a buddy who is now renting a storage space to store his NIB JP30th, Godfather CE, Venom LE, whatever Elvira drops tomorrow as "pinvestments" and "potential trade bait" when something pops up. I have advised that I don't think this is a great "pinvestment".

#888 6 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

This is a valid point for used pins…but we aren’t just seeing used pins lose value. There are a ton of deposits and even direct from distributor pins being sold significantly below MSRP. For example, right now you can get 1500 in accessories for free when you buy godfather from some distributors. Stern LE pricing and JJP overall pricing is like 1500-2K too high based on the market. JJP really needs to adjust pricing IMO, even if they have to take out the topper to do it (to be in parity with stern). Lebowski is pretty much the only NIB pin that can sustain that pricing and likely because of its rarity and insane build time.

#889 6 months ago

My buddy is a jjp dealer. They made home take $200k worth of guns and roses le machines to become a dealer. Still sitting on some of them. Prob new dealers coming in have to take ts4 les

Stern and jjp expect you to take your allotment. You can take less but then they get mad at you and can do things such as lower allocation.

#890 6 months ago
Quoted from pldubya43:

I for one am just going to wait for the reveal before I start complaining. People crapped all over Iron Maiden, but it’s still one of the most intense heart pounding games I’ve played to date. Sure the theme wasn’t everyone’s favorite, but man is it a fun playfield design with rewarding shots.

I somewhat agree, but there are so many great game out there to choose from and so little space that, for me, it doesn't make sense to pay these prices for a game with a theme I dislike. I think about it like there are 3 tiers to consider.

1. A theme I love - I may buy the game without even playing one, because I will want to experience it for myself in a home setting, for better or worse.

2. A theme I think is decent, but I don't have much personal connection with - I may buy the game if I play it a lot and like it, or maybe even if enough people who's opinions I value recommend it to me.

3. A theme I dislike - I won't buy the game no matter how good the gameplay is or how popular the game is with my friends. I'll just drop money into the game on location instead.

#891 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Got a buddy who is now renting a storage space to store his NIB JP30th, Godfather CE, Venom LE, whatever Elvira drops tomorrow as "pinvestments" and "potential trade bait" when something pops up. I have advised that I don't think this is a great "pinvestment".

You are a good friend.
He is better off long term selling them and investing in real investment vehicles for a long term capital appreciation.

#892 6 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

You are a good friend.
He is better off long term selling them off and investing in real investment vehicles.

Did somebody say vehicles?!?!

You see...investing in pinball machines is kinda like buying a Lotus...

#893 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Never seen a cargument here before.

#894 6 months ago

dammit got me - figure of speech
Nevermind, just hide a Rocketman CE in the storage locker too.

#895 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

At least he doesn't say "grap"

Wth is grap? Reminds me of "gnap" when the smurfs turned purple my biting each other on the ass

#896 6 months ago

Did someone say Lotus? Saw this the other day.... Permanent for sale sign.

lotus (resized).jpglotus (resized).jpg
#897 6 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

Did someone say Lotus? Saw this the other day.... Permanent for sale sign.
[quoted image]

Guessing real estate

#898 6 months ago

First off, love Steve Ritchie and I'm super excited that he's got a new game coming out.

Secondly, Elton John, are you fucking kidding me? Ugh. I guess the best you can say is at least it's a theme that won't offend anybody.

But gosh it sure would be nice to have a music theme pin based on an artist that was popular in this century...

ha-mood-scaled (resized).jpgha-mood-scaled (resized).jpg
#899 6 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

First off, love Steve Ritchie and I'm super excited that he's got a new game coming out.
Secondly, Elton John, are you fucking kidding me? Ugh. I guess the best you can say is at least it's a theme that won't offend anybody.
But gosh it sure would be nice to have a music theme pin based on an artist that was popular in this century...
[quoted image]

JJP could have got the license for the Elton John / Dua Lipa "Cold Heart" song. That would actually be one way to put a newer artist and modern song in a pinball machine.

#900 6 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

[quoted image]

I'm fine not recognizing this gal. Though EJ at his grand old age might look a bit off himself!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Danville, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Elton John PE Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,601 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 93.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elton-john-hype-thread/page/18?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.