(Topic ID: 333731)

Eight Ball Beyond

By STIrby

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

805-pinball-expo-2023 (resized).jpg
    804-pinball-expo-2023 (resized).jpg
    803-pinball-expo-2023 (1) (resized).jpg
    20231020_120449 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231022_011728740 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231022_011726138 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231022_011723552 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.09.07 AM (resized).png
    Playfield for Renders (v1~recovered) (resized).png
    Eight Ball Beyond playfield with plastics (resized).png
    356427445_10102750403970419_6694223691563971223_n (resized).jpg
    sr7 (resized).jpg
    sr2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9989 (resized).jpg
    4FB438AA-DE05-44E5-847E-6D306E55271E (resized).jpg
    IMG_9699 (resized).jpg
    There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 months ago

So annoyed with myself that I didn't get to play this at expo. There was a bunch of people of it and I was like "oh I'll come back later" and then time got away from me. Now everyone's raving about it!

#102 6 months ago

It's such a good game! I loved all the homebrew machines that I played, but this one really stood out for its level of polish. Your thoughtfulness and your patient iteration really have paid off here.

For the curious, here's what it looked like at Expo.

PXL_20231022_011723552 (resized).jpgPXL_20231022_011723552 (resized).jpgPXL_20231022_011726138 (resized).jpgPXL_20231022_011726138 (resized).jpgPXL_20231022_011728740 (resized).jpgPXL_20231022_011728740 (resized).jpg
    #103 6 months ago

Getting to play this game was one of my favorite highlights of Expo. Love how he took the best parts of the other Eight ball games and put his own spin on the game. The game feels and plays like a production game and is really fun to shoot. I love the feed to the upper flipper and how challenging the Eight ball shot is to make. I would love to see this game get the TNA treatment and get picked up by a manufacturer.

#104 6 months ago

Great pin. Art, shots, etc - all feels very professional. This is THE perfect game for those that like their early/non ramp games.

#105 6 months ago

Sean did a great job on this. Game was very awesome and fun to play.

#106 6 months ago

I really wish this one was being mass produced.

Reminds me of Lunar Pool on the NES.

#107 6 months ago

So very cool!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#108 6 months ago

This is about as close as you can get to a production ready looking homebrew I think? Game is super solid and fun to play, art is amazing, concept is great, trick shots are fun, and the details like the que, rack and 8ball are perfect. I feel like someone at expo must have reached out or be considering it — to work on a run of production games. Fantastic work on this Sean!

#109 6 months ago

Homebrew well received at expo and now all quiet from the maker. I’ve seen this before.

#110 6 months ago

one incredible game, so many cool features

well done

#111 6 months ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Homebrew well received at expo and now all quiet from the maker. I’ve seen this before.

He had a long drive home and probably just recouping. However, all the right people took time to make sure they came in played it, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone has approached him. The theme and game would be a grand slam for a manufacture

#112 6 months ago

Game was fantastic and the builder was gracious when asked questions. I talked to him a few mins just like several of those home brew guys. This one needs to be picked up. I'd be a buyer. It's pretty much ready to go just as it sits.

20231020_120449 (resized).jpg20231020_120449 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #113 5 months ago

We talked a bit about Eight Ball Beyond in our podcast this week. What a cracker of a game. Honestly hoping this makes its way into prod, sign me up!

#114 5 months ago

How do we get this picked up by a manufacturer. Simply amazing.

1 month later
    #115 3 months ago
    Quoted from STIrby:

[quoted image]
    I was super happy with how crisp and clean the vinyl looked with the bare plywood. I think it could be a really neat effect if a one color playfield was made this way with proper artwork.
    Next up - clearcoating!

Hello!
    Not to bump an older part of the thread, but I have a retheme I'm working on and I was thinking of going this route for the playfield.
    I have access to a Cricut machine, and was thinking I would cut vinyl graphics out, apply to the playfield, and then clearcoat. Did you have any issues with clearcoating over the vinyl, and if you don't mind me asking, what type of clear did you use?
    Thanks!

#116 3 months ago

Maybe have a look at how MultiMorphic does their top playfields. It's a sticker with clear coat or some kind of coating. It's not much good with posts screwed right down onto it, but washers like JJP use may help?

#117 3 months ago

Any hints that this may be getting picked up for production? Please?! Pretty please?!

#118 3 months ago
    Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Hello!
    Not to bump an older part of the thread, but I have a retheme I'm working on and I was thinking of going this route for the playfield.
    I have access to a Cricut machine, and was thinking I would cut vinyl graphics out, apply to the playfield, and then clearcoat. Did you have any issues with clearcoating over the vinyl, and if you don't mind me asking, what type of clear did you use?
    Thanks!

For that particular playfield I used Diamond Finish Clear by KBS since it wasn't possible for me to set up a spray booth where I live. I did have issues but it was due to me not taking the time to sand in between coats to level out the clear since it followed the elevation of the vinyl graphics. I tried sanding it flat at the end but it was difficult to get a glossy effect since the height was so uneven everywhere due to all the individual decals. I ended up sanding the entire playfield very lightly at the end to get a matte effect that looked alright. I suppose if I were to do this again I would try and roll on a few layers of clear, sand, and repeat that process a few times.

Here are some good resources if you plan on going this route:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kbs-diamond-clearcoat#post-4282133

#119 3 months ago
    Quoted from STIrby:

For that particular playfield I used Diamond Finish Clear by KBS since it wasn't possible for me to set up a spray booth where I live. I did have issues but it was due to me not taking the time to sand in between coats to level out the clear since it followed the elevation of the vinyl graphics. I tried sanding it flat at the end but it was difficult to get a glossy effect since the height was so uneven everywhere due to all the individual decals. I ended up sanding the entire playfield very lightly at the end to get a matte effect that looked alright. I suppose if I were to do this again I would try and roll on a few layers of clear, sand, and repeat that process a few times.
    Here are some good resources if you plan on going this route:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kbs-diamond-clearcoat#post-4282133

Thanks for the info and quick response, I really appreciate both

2 months later
    #120 37 days ago

This was the hit of TPF for me, and I hadn't heard a thing about it going in. Great 80's vibe with the lighting, the rotating moon cue ball and all the other details. Will echo others that I would love to see this game go into production!

1 week later
    #121 28 days ago

Heard Sean was picked up by JJP. Hope this is true!

#122 27 days ago
    Quoted from FlopTube:

Heard Sean was picked up by JJP. Hope this is true!

I appreciate the enthusiasm but this is not true. I'm still here in the northwest and hard at work on another project. I hope to start a new thread with all the fun stuff I've been up to soon.

#123 27 days ago

Of all the homebrews, this is the one that could go into production tomorrow. Original theme, polished art and fantastic gameplay. Maybe some day…

3 weeks later
    #124 7 days ago

This getting made or what? My checkbook is ready.

#125 6 days ago
    Quoted from Jagrmaister:

This getting made or what? My checkbook is ready.

I'll second that notion! This is the first homebrew I've wanted for my own collection since TNA was created (and eventually picked up by spooky)... I would *love* to see this game go into production as well! Could be my first NIB if it were to happen, but I'd have to make room somehow...

#126 6 days ago
    Quoted from frunch:

I'll second that notion! This is the first homebrew I've wanted for my own collection since TNA was created (and eventually picked up by spooky)... I would *love* to see this game go into production as well! Could be my first NIB if it were to happen, but I'd have to make room somehow...

I’d be in on one.

#127 5 days ago

I’d buy it day 1 no doubt. Can’t believe nobody has picked it up yet

#128 5 days ago

I’d really like to see this game. Any chance it will be at Allentown Pinfest?

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-beyond/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.