feeling good.gif
IMG_5622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6743 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1144 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 148.
#4101 3 months ago

Interesting they can use Brody in the movie clips but not in the artwork. Licensing weirdness.

It should be a good game no doubt and solid title, just not going to upend pinball status quo. Still a missed opportunity with the shark mech. No matter how many times it's said, it's true, everyone knows it could have been better. That doesn't mean it's bad though, just could have been done better. Chumming the water does look cool. And the maze of ramps, entries, and exits, in the back field will keep it interesting.

Finally, we are playing as Quint, but as you all know he loses. Big time. Odd. Would have rather played as Hooper POV, especially since they got voice from Richard Dreyfus, which is really cool.

#4102 3 months ago

Would be cool if there is a video mode for when you’re playing as Jaws/Bruce. Like the old video modes (shadow, indy, t2 etc) going left and right to dodge/shoot stuff but instead of dodging, actually having to eat swimmers in the water, turn on an adult mode and the water can get bloodier with each additional kill/swimmer chomped on.

#4103 3 months ago

Watched the vid for the 3rd time. A lot going on the first times around and takes a couple views to digest. (Ha) Really love the gameplay and the buildup to catch the bounties, save the beachgoers, Quint challenges, harpoon multipliers...so much to do. Keith makes it look easy but I guarantee this is gonna be a tough shooter as the pacing and hurry ups can force you to miss shots. Really like the quick 180 ramp to put the ball safely on your left flipper when your trying to hit the fishing real...that return is wicked fast! I'm definitely getting Walking Dead vibes with the modes and Drop targets which is a great thing.

The game is going to look amazing with the lights off and not a streaming light rig hovering over it

The assets and music are really well done, pulls you right into the world. Born in '72 and this movie has scared the crap out of me since I first saw it when I was 6 or 7 and has been in my repeated viewings 100's of times over the years. So iconic!!!!

Can't wait. Premium On Order

#4104 3 months ago

I’m not good enough to call shots, so I’m going out on a limb and saying it will be challenging and fun for me and maybe I’ll have a 2 minute ball time

Time to watch Jaws every night with my son since I’m sick of watching go go ghostbusters and plays some jaws pinball. Haha

#4105 3 months ago
Quoted from Phern:

Interesting they can use Brody in the movie clips but not in the artwork. Licensing weirdness.

Universal likely own the film footage rights, from what I believe likenesses and the rights associated with them did not really begin until the mid 80s.

Scheiders estate flat out refused anything new being created with his likeness, Stern tried but pretty much from the get go they knew they wouldn’t get Scheider in the artwork.

#4106 3 months ago

Think I need to play this game to see how it feels to catch a shark etc.

The fishing reel shot seems pretty hard.

I think pro will be fine as there is no stand out mech.

The biggest thing missing on the pro is the drop targets.

#4107 3 months ago

Looks like Keith was determined to make something original with this pin. So many unique paths and ideas. There is no other pin like this. It’s in a world all by itself. I’m not sure that’s what everyone will want. It doesn’t have the same bling and instant fun factor as Godzilla. Still an absolute must have that will probably keep you busy for years trying to master this game. For players that own or have owned a lot of machines, you just have to have it. I can see myself obsessed as this thing beats me up. Assets are amazing! Also hitting the ball in the main boat toy seems satisfying.

#4108 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

I didn't think the Boob would pay to listen to that guy but......you are probably right....

Nope. And you and I are officially done.

#4109 3 months ago

Born in 71 - hits my Nostalgia G spot.
All things considered, looks a great effort.

#4110 3 months ago

Just watched the stream. Fast thoughts:

Loved:
- theme…..of course. Nostalgia sweet spot and leveraged perfectly.
- liked the stream format. Fast to the point, no bs, and not showing me the whole game in one stream. Makes complete sense to have a slick single game to give us enough info on whether or not to order, then follow up with the more random JD stream later.
- heaps of video assets. Surprisingly since the accepted rumour prior to release was it would have no assets like JP.
- Use and layout of the screen looks best yet. Lots of clear, full screen video, and nice simple overlays.
- love the shark catching stuff, hooking then reeling in using the reel shot, then landing him with a simple bash of the shark.
- the led shark fin chum mech looks cool. The lighting of it takes it to another level not obvious in the stills. Starts blue then gets progressively bloodier.
- actually like that neither the fin or the shark are used to much….like the film.
- love the little trap flipper. Hopefully we see some clever uses of this.

Liked but not sure yet:
- upper pf wasn’t a traditional bash something upper pf, but more like an interactive divertor. Very quick but maybe a bit useless/annoying? Reminded me a bit now Whitewater upper pf which is a good thing.
- lots of staging of the ball allowing for perfectly timed shots, less randomness.
- not really as flowy/clomboey like previous Elwin efforts.

Didn’t like:
- seems to lack any big moments. No building or mecha lock, no ball eating (sorry had to go there) etc. Seems like lots of short forgettable moments?
- the video mode - really ?????. And 3D with glasses?
- some interesting stuff, but maybe a lack of shot variety?

That’s it. Not so fast thoughts. Still undecided tbh. Still feel like I need to play it….god forbid!

#4111 3 months ago

How many times in the whole video did the shark come out, and the upper playfield get used?

I counted 2 times each.

Doesn’t seem like a huge loss for the pro.

#4112 3 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

I greatly prefer the old style reveal streams where you are ‘hanging out with the development team’ as they play pinball and have drinks for an hour and a half.

%100 , its become a past time of mine to grab a glass of whiskey and sit on the couch and what them on the big screen!

#4113 3 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

%100 , its become a past time of mine to grab a glass of whiskey and sit on the couch and what them on the big screen!

You can do that on Friday.

#4114 3 months ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Fast as a Shark - Accept is also a rad tune

#4115 3 months ago

Playing video mode. Gonna be all....

3d65c44e860a4b8694a4c77258760ead.gif3d65c44e860a4b8694a4c77258760ead.gif
#4116 3 months ago

I like the video mode. I am sure there will be something in the settings to adjust to less frequent or no video mode for players that do not prefer video modes.

#4117 3 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Have to admit the jd stream gives you a more realistic view of gameplay with a more realistic mix of players. Having both streams is great imo.

#4118 3 months ago
Quoted from BobFL:

Watching Keith play Godzilla on 1.0 code after watching the Jaws game play video a few times. Jaws is very basic in comparison, almost pedestrian. A harpoon on the left like the AC/DC cannon would have helped to shoot the fin. Jaws looks fun & the integration looks great so it will be enjoyable but with the great games he's made this could be his worst from the gameplay/creativity bar he's set. Looks like almost anyone could have made this, doesn't scream Elwin.

I also thought a AC/DC canon styled harpoon gun would have been a good fit but even though the canon is neat, it's not exactly the most exciting part of AC/DC. just a neat toy. on the other hand, shooting the ball into the TRex's mouth to start the multiball never seems to get old. in this thread that's alot of ball eating talk & it seems like for this table it would have been a no brainer but honestly, I wouldn't have wanted it to have been a copy of JPark. might have been nice if the shark ate it, & then lowered w/ it as a multiball lock.

anyway, thought the gameplay video last night was great. excited to see all the movie content. I really thought there wasn't going to be any Brody in it & a PinballBrowser repair (like w/ JPark) was going to be necessary but it sure looks like they have it covered. can't wait to play it. I believe the Pros start shipping out end of this month / beginning of next so maybe I'll find one out in the wild soon.

#4119 3 months ago

There was a point in the stream he was cradling and had 400,000,000 or so points. It then skipped to him plunging and his score was over 600m. Not sure why we didn’t get to see him play the entire ball, but we missed out on quite a bit during the time jump

Still excited for Friday’s stream with JD. I would definitely not call this a flow monster by any means. Not sure how you can given there are two captive balls and a stand up target right up the middle. It flows just like every other pin that isn’t FF

#4120 3 months ago

The Videomode is the original Sega Arcadegame from 1972, Killer Shark.

Seen in the movie.

Love these little things and fits perfect to the game.

2 Games in one pin

#4121 3 months ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I was able to purchase two HUO games, Batman 66 and Godzilla, on my want list for decent prices. Both are trade ins on Jaws.

You're going to regret that!

#4122 3 months ago

There must be something wrong with me. I find I have to actually play a machine about thirty or forty times before I can render a full verdict.

#4123 3 months ago
Quoted from PinHacks:

I believe the blue arrow is the shark that pursues them. Like a dino eating the staff, you have to rescue them.

I believe this was his point

IMG_9145 (resized).pngIMG_9145 (resized).png
#4124 3 months ago

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, was super excited by this release. Not so excited after seeing everything.
1. If you don't have the rights to Brody art, but do have the rights to use his movie clips....then just don't put quint and hoopers face on the play field!
2. There's like 3 shots in this entire game.
3. Stop start stop start.
4. Movie clips are cool, but you can buy this entire movie at Walmart for $5.
So for 13k, you get a pinball machine with 3 shots, clips from a $5 movie, and a plastic shark that dkesnt do anything. Bleh....

#4125 3 months ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

[quoted image]

"Peruse" maybe?

#4126 3 months ago

Watched stream. The whole game and theme is over the top. Cool 3d feature puts game into a unique category like the Creature hologram. Everyone born before ‘65 feared the ocean after this movie. If this theme is still popular after 48 years I don’t see it fading anytime soon. Don’t expect another company to make a better jaws pin in the future, so this is it. Many are looking super deep into the game. For me it’s a must have pin theme in the lineup for visiting guests. Same for Elton John. It’s guaranteed to put a smile on their face and make an impression. With future code upgrades and added accessories and mods it will keep getting better. LE on order!

#4127 3 months ago
Quoted from MStem80:

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time, was super excited by this release. Not so excited after seeing everything.
1. If you don't have the rights to Brody art, but do have the rights to use his movie clips....then just don't put quint and hoopers face on the play field!
So for 13k, you get a pinball machine with 3 shots, clips from a $5 movie, and a plastic shark that dkesnt do anything. Bleh....

three shots with 4 flippers? you must have missed something

#4128 3 months ago
Quoted from MStem80:

I feel the same way….. I’ve wanted this pinball theme forever. It’s now here and it doesn’t excite me after watching the game play trailer. I’m going to wait and play one first.

#4129 3 months ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

It still makes me worried that the bash toy can only be hit once. It appeared up to three times in the video, only to be hit once, then go back under. I would feel more inclined toward the premium if I knew you could bash the shit out of it more than once. I was hoping to see that tonight. Kind of a letdown. My only other complaint is that the game doesn't really follow the movie. The movie is just there as a backdrop. Take the movie assets away, and it's just a game about hunting fish. I get that's what the movie is about; I just wish it followed the scenes in the movie more from start to finish.

Most probably more hits as you progress like most everything else.

#4130 3 months ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

[quoted image]

Beach-goers will be lit, per-sure!

Pinside_forum_7963165_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7963165_0 (resized).png
#4131 3 months ago

Does anyone else wish that you could get perks from capturing each shark (like dino capture in JP?) Maybe they will add that later?

#4132 3 months ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

The Videomode is the original Sega Arcadegame from 1972, Killer Shark.
Seen in the movie.
Love these little things and fits perfect to the game.
2 Games in one pin

Double up!

#4133 3 months ago
Quoted from pindel:

Cool topper for the Jaws pin. Only 109.00 Very well made 15” wooden Boat from jaws movie. The had 13 in stock yesterday and now have 6. https://www.amazon.com/NAUTIMALL-Fishing-Pre-Assembled-Sailboat-Orca-15inch/dp/B0C3M57GT2/ref=sr_1_1)&qid=1704654522&sprefix=nautimall%2Bjaws%2Borca%2Bwooden%2Bship%2Bmodel%2Bshark%2Bfishing%2Bboat%2Bpre-assembled%2Bantique%2Bfinish%2Bsailboat%2Bdecor%2Borca-15inch%2B%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-1&th=1
[quoted image][quoted image]

Don’t miss this if you are buying Jaws. Started with 13 now only 3 boats left at this price!

#4134 3 months ago
Quoted from pindel:

Don’t miss this if you are buying Jaws. Started with 13 now only 3 boats left at this price!

If you have an Amazon business account it's $99.

#4136 3 months ago

My other suggestion is please, please fix that awful looking mystery wheel.

#4137 3 months ago

If that stream did anything it removes all sales of LE's by Flippers & Distros who were going to sell it sideways into the secondary market for $15,000+. I think it's a nice looking game but you already have people pulling their orders for JAWS LE. FOMO is officially DEAD! It's an average Elwin pin at best!

#4138 3 months ago

Yikes some of these animations are terrible. Really Stern?

whel_jaws (resized).pngwhel_jaws (resized).png

#4139 3 months ago

There is a Spielberg signed one for $10K too...

ebay.com link: itm

#4140 3 months ago

I'll have to play it a few times before I come to the conclusion if I like it or not.
Right now, would it displace 1 of my 4 home pins (2 of which are Elwins), I don't think so...
I like the few new features not seen before.

#4141 3 months ago
#4142 3 months ago

Looks cool but man that music will drive me nuts after awhile. IMO the music bed is far too repetitive.

#4143 3 months ago

What a roller coaster! So now we're all down just a little bit because there's a chance this isn't the best pinball machine ever created. Tho that feeling may not change completely and shark week kinda feels like shark month. I bet when they're all together jamming live it's going swing that pendulum once again and all will be right with the world.

#4144 3 months ago

To start a mode I'd much rather hit a ramp to up post, than hit a scoop... but thats just me.

But I also think JP2 is king over Godzilla. 2 of the best either way.

#4145 3 months ago
Quoted from Flare:

In case you're interested in a Blood Red Premium... Looks pretty sharp in comparison to the white, imho.
[quoted image]

Since this is my favorite movie of all time, Maybe i'll make a special mix of powder specifically for the game.

#4146 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Since this is my favorite movie of all time, Maybe i'll make a special mix of powder specifically for the game.

Keep us posted.

#4147 3 months ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

That's cool. Need to paint the barrels yellow though.

Good call! Probably could use some other detail changes as well like make the upper side more red. Enlarge the windows a bit more.

IMG_3673 (resized).jpegIMG_3673 (resized).jpegIMG_3674 (resized).jpegIMG_3674 (resized).jpegIMG_3675 (resized).jpegIMG_3675 (resized).jpeg

#4148 3 months ago

Here are my thoughts on Jaws:

Jaws is one of my favourite movies. I have a Jaws poster hanging on the wall. I didn’t actually think Stern would go through with Jaws as a theme though. While I’m old enough to have seen Jaws, I don’t think most people under 30 or 40 know what Jaws is. I asked family and friends who are younger than me and while a few of them know of the movie, the majority don’t. I don’t know how well this theme will translate to revenue in arcades when you’ve got other themes like Mandalorian, Stranger Things, and Avengers beside it. I do understand that this is a dream theme for a lot of people here though, and while it’s not a dream theme for me, I do think the theme is OK.

I’m not impressed with the artwork, especially with the LE. The white powder coat doesn’t do it for me, and the shark bite on the side rails looks cartoonish. The playfield art doesn’t look great. I get it, it’s Jaws, so it’s got to be water, but it ends up just being a big blue mess. The art blades on the LE don’t seem to match the playfield at all almost as if someone else made them. I think using the poster art on the LE backglass is great, but I don’t think it was a good idea to use it on the Pro which is the version most likely going on location trying to attract players who may not know what Jaws the movie is. The Premium backglass artwork looks much better to attract players. I’m a little disappointed we don’t actually get the Orca as the main boat on the playfield. I know the upper playfield is supposed to be the Orca, but honestly it doesn’t come across as being a boat at all.

I remember watching the reveal videos for Avengers, Jurassic Park, and Godzilla and being immediately excited at the new and innovative things that were being shown. Seeing the wireforms and the vertical magnet on the Avengers was a “wow” moment. Seeing the dinosaur eat the ball in Jurassic Park and seeing the padlock ball lock were “wow” moments. Seeing the building go up and down, the bridge being destroyed, the innovative magnet, and the rotating ramp to get to the Mechazilla magnet were all Godzilla “wow” moments. The Jaws reveal video didn’t have a “wow” moment. While the shark fin mech and the transparent blood in the water effect are cool, and being able to grab the ball with the right upper flipper is pretty nice, they aren’t “wow” moments.

After watching the gameplay video, I’m unimpressed with the game. It just looks like an average game using a dream theme for a lot of people, but that is nowhere near dethroning Elwin’s other masterpieces.

So as soon as you start the game, you pretty much get the Jaws shark theme music. There is no build-up, or anything major to do to get the iconic music playing. The cool Jaws head doesn’t pop up at a critical gameplay moment, it’s what you need to do to start modes: bash the boat, bash the shark head, select your mode. Both of these things should have been kept and used only during gameplay to build up excitement. The rest of the music is ok, but nothing really great while you play.

While I’m glad they did get movie assets, they seem to be using them pretty exclusively. I don’t see many custom animations that are related to the gameplay at hand. I don’t think just playing a bunch of movie clips makes the game immersive. And while having Richard Dreyfuss do some callouts is pretty cool, they aren’t great, and there’s a complete lack of other callouts during the game...nobody is yelling out to you to “hit the white arrows”, and nobody is yelling out to you to “spin the reel”. I’m hoping this is just very early code and they actually do have a bunch of callouts recorded, but adding them would mean dropping the sound from the movie clips. I’m curious what the end result will be here.

The video mode appears to be completely uninteresting, with little or no strategy. This is nowhere close to the spittoon video mode in Champion Pub or the cross the streams video mode in Ghostbusters. The 3D effect, while kind of cool, isn’t anything special. If you’re going to interrupt my pinball game for a video mode, it better be challenging, not just target practice to get points.

I don’t see any satisfying shots in this game. There’s no shot that I find as cool as the Mechazilla mini ramp, or doing the loop after the magnet lets go of the ball in Godzilla. There’s no Jurassic Park dinosaur mouth shot, or the satisfying C shot for chaos multiball. There are no magnets, and no ball locks. You know the satisfying feeling you get when you lock a ball and know you are one step closer to a multiball? No ball lock here, multiball just sends all the balls with the auto-plunge. The only shot that looks a bit interesting is the reel shot on the right, but even that is a stretch. The shark fin is ok, but nothing great. The mini-playfield is pretty useless and appears to just be limited to hitting the ball in time to spin the reel.

I’m looking forward to playing this game on location somewhere as I’m sure it will be ok, but nothing so far has gotten me excited about it, and especially not enough to buy one.

#4149 3 months ago
Quoted from Phern:

Finally, we are playing as Quint, but as you all know he loses. Big time. Odd. Would have rather played as Hooper POV, especially since they got voice from Richard Dreyfus, which is really cool.

That's one of my biggest issues. You play as Quint because it doesn't follow the movie. Your just hunting sharks and the Jaws movie is just there for the video side of it.

#4150 3 months ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

So… stern is NOT supposed to follow “movie genius”? I’m failing to follow your logic
The reason Jaws was so effective was they made it feel super intense and special when the shark finally shows up. Same thing with pinball moments. If the damn shark popped up 5x per game, I feel like it might get old fast.
It’s like the upside down in stranger things. I ALWAYS wish it lasted longer…. But I’ve had it 2.5 years now and it still hasn’t gotten old.
Restraint is something most people could use to understand more.

In my opinion no, they shouldn’t have followed. You really cannot compare the suspense built in a 260 minute movie to a five minute (or less) pinball machine.
As others have said, in this instance having the shark pop up, get hit once, then disappear adds nothing as far as I can tell. Maybe playing it will be different.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 36.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.50
$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JAWS (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cosmic Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dah-dumjaws-hype-thread/page/83?hl=foobeer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.