(Topic ID: 239254)

Changed 555 bulbs with power on > now Solenoids not working

By SpaceTimeGuy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spacetimeguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Disclaimer > I am mostly an EM guy ... got a Bally EMBRYON (System 11) and love it !! Was changing the bulbs under the PF with the power ON and removed one of the bulbs and an alarm type sound went off in the pinball ... I turned power OFF and a minute later back ON ... everything seemed fine ... I turned power OFF and changed some more bulbs ... the next day when I went to play it > Game lights up and will start a new game by hitting the start button on coin door ... BUT the ball will not kick out to the shooter lane, pop bumpers register points but don't "pop", drop targets register points but won't reset, upper "saucer" won't kick ball out, etc ... the only Coils that fire are for the flippers ... SO did I fry the whole driver board ? or is there a specific component I should have tested ?? OR is all of this unrelated to the light bulbs and I have a whole different problem ?? P.S. I replaced the 4 or 5 fuses in the cabinet (by the transformer) and one on bottom of PF ... (don't see any others) .... and still Solenoids don't fire .... the only other thing I did was "adjust" the lower right captive ball stand up target ... Thank You for taking the time to read this and help me out ! Todd

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoin:

Check the fuse under the playfield and the fuse holder

Changed those fuses earlier tonight before I posted ... have buddy who is "smarter" with test meter coming over Wednesday night ... will double check fuses are good ...

#5 5 years ago

@mbaumie > I have a buddy coming over on Wednesday night who is better with solid state games (and test meter) ... will check power at coils ... Thanks ... thought maybe someone could stear us in right direction .... GOLDEN RULE > never poke around under PF with power ON > RIGHT ... I get that now ... I do it sometimes with EM games as sometimes have to clean the socket ... but definitely won't do it again with a S.S. !!

#6 5 years ago

My friend @jimpin1967 came over tonight and did some testing on my boards ... voltage was good on test points on power board (in the lower cabinet) ... voltage was good on test points on Solenoid/driver board in head ... voltage was good on yellow wire on both sides going in and out of connector between head and cabinet ... voltage at flippers was good .. no voltage at any of other solenoids on PF ... we (or should I say "he") ran a jumper wire from the GROUND(?) on the board by transformer in lower cabinet to a yellow wire on one of the solenoids (under PF) ... GAME WORKS !! Jim doesn't think my changing the bulbs with the power ON caused the problem .... he thinks my raising and lowering the PF to change bulbs > screwed up a wire ... What do you experts think ?? Jim >> THANKS !!!! So glad to be able to play Embryon again ! and glad you got to play it !!!

#7 5 years ago

Think he ran the jumper from Test Point 5 (43V) to the yellow wire on Solenoid (not ground) .... Pinside won't let me edit previous post for some reason

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spacetimeguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/changed-555-bulbs-with-power-on-gt-now-solenoids-not-working?tu=spacetimeguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.