thumper_bumper_mylar_in_place_(resized).jpg
thumber_bumper_mylar_on_playfield_(resized).jpg
thumber_bumper_removed_before_cleaning_(resized).jpg
thumber_bumper_removed_under_playfield_(resized).jpg
double_up_with_new_playfield_parts_no_flash_(resized).jpg
double_up_with_new_playfield_parts_flash_(resized).jpg
fuse_block_new_(resized).jpg
fuse_block_old_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanclaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I decided to share my Double-Up restoration with you.

YES!!! I'm so happy all my incessant badgering paid off! Ha-ha! I'm really excited to follow along on this journey. Thanks for taking us with you on this adventure, Pecos. ...and with such a rare machine, too. How cool.

Quoted from Pecos:

I'm not sure my image editing software is up to the task

I know a guy. PM en route.

Also...

Quoted from oldtowner:

So far it looks good, for a cheap repro. I'll be posting full details on Pinside in a few weeks when I get back to finishing it.

Howdy, Oldtowner! I'd be interested in reading through your thread documenting your process. Needless to say I'll be following this thread closely, but if you don't post here to let us know about your thread, could I trouble you for a PM letting me know it's live?

Quoted from dasvis:

Send the scan off to BG resto & have them do a glass for you.

Quoted from Pecos:

I've already heard BG Resto mentioned.

Quoted from Pecos:

It's really hard for me to spend $300 on a backglass when I can get an entire project pin for that price.

As a fellow el cheap-o, I can sympathize. ...but if any game warrants "the treatment," I think you found it, P! ...but as you said...

Quoted from Pecos:

The backglass fix is near the bottom of the restoration list so, fortunately, it's not something I have to worry about too much now.

Always nice to have time to think about (come to terms with) something.

Quoted from Pecos:

"Color Back" by Turtle Wax

Huh! Never heard of such a thing! ...for any other newbies:

colorBack_(resized).jpgcolorBack_(resized).jpg

Edit: Woop...just saw your version inside the Double Up cab:

colorBackB_(resized).jpgcolorBackB_(resized).jpg

Regardless, I've heard that if a product has water in the ingredients, then you probably don't want to use it. (Likely to raise the wood grain.) You might want to take a quick gander at the back label.

Quoted from Pecos:

I'm leaning toward using the melamine, very carefully, to remove the crazing and make the colors "POP!"

I would lean this way, too. As I'm sure you recall, it worked wonders as the final cleaning step on ole' Swingy:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme/page/3#post-2626388

I know M.E. is sort of a naughty word, but as a FINAL, GENTLE, MINORLY abrasive step, I feel confident you're approaching this project with an appropriate level of respect that this would be an appropriate measure to take.

Quoted from Pecos:

This made my decision to not use melamine foam on this playfield easier.

Oh...oops. Or you could not use M.E. Ha-ha! ...guess I should have kept reading.

Quoted from Pecos:

I finished a thorough 2nd cleaning and added the first coat of Carnauba wax:

This is looking really great, BTW!

Quoted from Pecos:

Still to be done - fill post holes and light touch-up of those holes.

Curious...do you plan on repainting those areas where the "aftermarket" star posts discolored the playfield? I'm guessing not as you've already waxed...but...I think it'd be nice to see a more solid area of color there. SORRY!

Quoted from Pecos:

Check out this ad from the mid 70s found inside the cabinet! A blast from the past! Do you know what it is?

Ha-ha! A slide rule? It's essentially an early analog calculator, right?

slideRule_(resized).jpgslideRule_(resized).jpg

Finally, Pecos, thanks for the heavy upload of photos. You know I appreciate that. I'll do my best to help where I can. You've helped me plenty over the past 8 months. Really looking forward to following along.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor

#28 8 years ago

THIS!!!

Quoted from Pecos:

I taped the screws to the components they belonged to:

...is brilliant. Thanks for the reminder.

Also...

Quoted from Pecos:

The mech boards would not require sanding. Unlike Williams, Bally painted their boards.

...SO PRETTY! I like the painted bottom board.

Quoted from Pecos:

the mechs were put back in place on the board awaiting to be screwed back into place.

Honest question here: Why are there relays elevated off the bottom board? I've never seen elevated sections like that before:

elevatedBottomBoard_(resized).jpgelevatedBottomBoard_(resized).jpg

Quoted from Pecos:

Yes, absolutely, I plan to touch up those areas. They don't belong there.

Quoted from Pecos:

Nope! The key part of that ad is TI-55.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-55

Finally, more thanks for the copius pictures. I know first-hand that it's not a speedy process to take, upload, and explain. This is a great thread.

Keep it up, Pecos!
Ryan

1 week later
#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

One fuse holder is not original.

From my understanding, Bally fuse holders were notoriously brittle, so it would probably be favorable to just replace them. (I know you're keeping everything as original as possible, but this might be a nice upgrade exception. )

Quoted from Pecos:

this is what the mech board looked like before cleaning:

Quoted from Pecos:

And this is how it looked after...

Really pretty! You make me want to paint my mech board.

Keep up the good work, Pecos!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Let me emphasize again that when you remove the switches and gear stops that you take pictures, better pictures than I took of them.

This is a great reminder, especially since I'll be tackling my first Bally EM restore in the not-too-distant future. Just for kicks, here's a screen shot of my dated folders, each one full of pictures from my Swinger Restore:

folders_(resized).jpgfolders_(resized).jpg

I imagine my next project will look similar. Ha-ha!

Quoted from Pecos:

The plywood is now solid albeit the cabinet remains in rough condition. Every time I think about it I want to restore the cabinet...

You can DO IT!!! Think how marvelous that cab will look with a fresh coat of paint. Hey, that's how it was ORIGINALLY!

Re-paint!
Re-paint!
Re-paint!

GoPecos_(resized).jpgGoPecos_(resized).jpg

Keep up the great work, Pecos.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I vote repaint.

Sounds like a quorum to me!

#58 8 years ago

Great work on this, Pecos! It's really turning into quite a beauty. The underside if your playfield looks clean enough to eat off of. ...although maybe not the best idea with all that lead solder hanging around down there.

1 week later
#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I have learned a lot from the litany of mistakes I've made:

Loved this:

mistakes_process_(resized).pngmistakes_process_(resized).png

Nice diagram.

Quoted from polyacanthus:

Here's how all of mine looked in my bow and arrow...

Woof! How are you going about cleaning all that up? Does isopropyl do the trick, or do you have to get more abrasive with that solidified lube?

Quoted from Pecos:

Now, on to the backbox and mechs!

...so how goes it over there? Nice work on this project, Pecos.

#69 8 years ago

And here's that unit after cleaning so you can sleep at night

Wow. That coil on the left really cleaned up nicely!

I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness, that's a pretty radical transformation. Nice work, Poly!

#71 8 years ago

Jeez! I had to rewind just to see that there was actually a label present in that first picture. Another nice clean-up.

1 week later
#81 8 years ago

Pecos,

Thanks for your continued documentation. The shots of the distressed cabinet are really informative about the state of how you received this machine. Didn't realize it was that decrepit. You're really breathing some new life into this rare gem.

I'm curious how the backbox is turning out. How's its stability? Pretty sturdy? Enough for some reasonable nudging? ...or will you be tightening up that tilt-bob?

Love the shot of the 3 different clamps. Ha-ha! Whatever works.

Keep it up. You've got to be pretty giddy at this point being so close to functionality!

Kudos,
Ryan

#83 8 years ago

Cool video. Nice to see the multiple iterations of start-up. (Nice for me, anyway, to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get things working perfectly on the first try.)

About that pesky coin relay problem at the end, it looked like when that single switch in the relay was actuated, the desired results were achieved. Is it possible the switch is just not gapped appropriately for the whole relay movement and just needs some adjustment, but when moved manually (and individually) it is forced into making contact? Just a thought. Here's hoping you don't have to do a bunch of disassembly.

#92 8 years ago

Pecos,

I'd think there's got to be a donor switch or motor out there somewhere. Maybe post in the looking for EM parts thread or even your own Project pinball thread. I'd be surprised if you didn't get some offers.

In the meantime, nice work with the...

Quoted from Pecos:

Walmart Cole Slaw container.

1 week later
#96 8 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

A while back I asked Pecos to share a bunch of his images with me with the hopes of turning them into a virtual pinball (visual pinball 10) table.

NEAT!!!

Quoted from BorgDog:

...my first time using Illustrator so a lot of learning to do.

I've taught classes in Adobe Illustrator before, so if you need some help, please PM me. With that said, your playfield looks fantastic!

Quoted from BorgDog:

...hopefully sometime in the not to distant future we can all play this rare pinball.

A-men! Thanks for all your hard work on this, BorgDog! Looking forward to trying this out!

Sincerely,
Ryan

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Dave said he has never worked on something so intricate that went so well.

Ha! That's a great quote.

Although...

Quoted from Pecos:

When I installed the backglass in the backbox all of the flaws stood out like a Baby Ruth bar in the private country club pool.

...might take the cake. *LOL*

I gotta say, though...

"backglass_with_mylar_cracked_glass_(resized).jpg"

...was a fabulous shot of the reflection atop the mylar over the crack to show that the whole thing was actually mylar'ed together. (Not easy to see/show in photographs.)

Anyhow, this...

Quoted from Pecos:

Large portions of ink were missing. And there was nasty crazing over most of the art-work.

...is really a bummer, however...

Quoted from Pecos:

It appears that a BGresto backglass lies ahead in my future.

Also...

Quoted from BorgDog:

A lot of times the same text in the same font needed different width characters and spacing on different parts of the playfield, kind of makes me wonder how they did it in the first place.

...that would be interesting historical information to have, and...

Quoted from BorgDog:

Thanks for the offer of help Ryan, I'll shoot you a message if I can't figure something out.

I'm happy to help, but as you said...

Quoted from BorgDog:

I'm sure I'm doing it all the hard way, but it seems to be working.

...and it seems to be working swimmingly. Best of luck polishing-off those finishing touches you mentioned previously. Can't wait to play it!

Finally, thanks for all the great pix, Pecos!

Sincerely,
Ryan

#101 8 years ago

Nice!!! Congrats in tracking down that outlane problem! Looking forward to the rule set. That should help BorgDog with the virtual table, too. Good luck with the final fix!!!

#104 8 years ago

Holy poo! That's gotta be a better write-up than the manual! Fantastic work, Pecos! The visuals really help, too!

#114 8 years ago

Congrats on the playable pin! Thanks for the video and explanation of rules. Sounds like a fun game! You've really done an honorable job with all the restoration and documentation, Pecos! Ted Zale would be proud!

#115 8 years ago

P.S. Good luck trouble-shooting that special/credit counter.

1 week later
#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Mylar playfield protectors without the stick-um.

Huh! Those look great! I like the fact that they're not wed to the playfield. Nice install. I might need to grab a few of these for some of my machines.

Although...

Quoted from Pecos:

You MUST keep all dirt and grit out from under the Mylar or the playfield will wear faster, not slower.

...this made me wonder if, perhaps, mylar WITH adhesive would work better at keeping the area under the pops clean and protected, as it would not allow dirt/movement/friction underneath the mylar.

Although (again), I guess you run the risk of your adhesive mylar becoming cloudy and not being able to remove it.

*sigh* Such a double-edged sword.

Does anyone have experience with both? Do you know how long it takes for adhesive mylar to wear? Do you have much trouble with the non-adhesive mylar tearing up the playfield surface due to dirt? How often do you clean the PF to keep the non-adhesive mylar trouble-free?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Thanks for the food for thought, Pecos.

#120 8 years ago

I was advised to use the adhesive rather than the non-adhesive due to the trapping dirt underneath issue.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

I've used both and no longer use the non-adhesive type due to the dirt trapping issue.

Pecos! You're my play-tester! I'll be haranguing you for non-adhesive updates in the months to com.

#126 8 years ago

Rubber cement will likely be unevenly aplied, due to its nature, and will therefore still have the undesired effect of trapping dirt.

I'm gonna respectfully doubt this claim. You know I've got love for ya, BingoPodcast, but rubber cement is actually a really great FLAT adhesive for working with craft projects, like paper. Try gluing a couple substrates together with Elmers white glue and then again with rubber cement. With rubber cement you get none of that unsightly beading-up of the glue or worbling of the paper, like you get with the Elmers. Because of that, I'd IMAGINE (again, I've never tried it) that you could apply the rubber cement pretty thin and evenly (even without thinning it) and it would lay pretty darn flat. Now, I make no claims to it's transparency(would it look like you had a film of something in front of the artwork?), archival quality(would it do anything adverse to the artwork/playfield over time?), or ability to be removed without taking some screen-printed art along with it, but I have a feeling this rubber cement theory has a fighting chance of working-out.

Pecos, please keep us updated if you decide to move forward with this thought.

I was advised to use the adhesive rather than the non-adhesive due to the trapping dirt underneath issue.

I've used both and no longer use the non-adhesive type due to the dirt trapping issue.

Quoted from MikeO:

Gottlieb games came with non adhesive style and I have games where the art under the pops has survived tens of thousands of games with no wear.

This is so interesting. I'm genuinely curious about this issue, since I'll likely be forced into this same decision-making process soon. Poly and Bingo, have you ever experienced the non-adhesive dirt-trapping becoming an issue first-hand?

1 month later
#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

the thumper bumper Mylar protector experiment

Cool! Thanks for documenting this, Pecos!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanclaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1970-double-up-minimalist-restoration?tu=ryanclaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.