(Topic ID: 185543)

Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018? POLL

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you in favor of the IFPA changes for 2018 regarding the $1 entry fee?”

• YES 217 votes
      50%
    • NO 213 votes
      50%

(430 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    MeanMeanest (resized).jpg
    85c588a29c8804b1e95223ed060880e7_one-dollar-bob-on-make-a-gif-one-dollar-bob-gif_320-180 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 3.40.48 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4979 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1567 (resized).png
    bop (resized).jpg
    large_uAvG211cGNKSFyPzXFVMZzjkBB8 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    1mlwhh (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Xerico.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

We also hope they don't get lost.
    If they do we have our "Stage 2" for 2019 ready to go with our "Professional" ($1 fee) and "Amateur" (no fee) systems so people who are serious can enjoy one rankings system, while the larger group of non-serious players can enjoy our second rankings system.

If this is ready to go, why not just implement the Pro-Am systems in 2018? Why go through the hassle of a 2018 pay for points and lose players that can easily be saved now by simply implementing the Pro-Am system?

It seems to me that both sides would be satisfied. The SCS and National events will surely get more than $320 per state (on average) that is generated in 2017. And players that do not wish to fund the SCS/National events can continue unhindered into 2018.

Marcus

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

This wouldn't be a player option.
    It would be a TD option to either run a PRO points event or an AMATEUR points event.
    The results would be in completely separate databases so the WPPR system as you know it would continue as the "PRO" system, earn IFPA related rewards, SCS qualifying, IFPA WC qualifying.
    The "AMATEUR" rankings would start from scratch. The first event submitted would result in a new number one player on the Amateur list.
    There would be no cross pollination between the two.

I'm on the same page. Sorry if it came across as one tournament that satisfied both Pro and Amateur status.

In my mind, in a 2018 Pro-Am IFPA World, TDs have the two options

1) Send in $1/player and get WPPR points that count towards the "Pro" standings, and by default the SCS/National competitions.
    2) Submit scores without sending $1/player and get WPPR points that count towards "Amateur" standings. These results will not count towards the current SCS/National competitions.

TDs can advertise to their appropriate market and players will know in advance if they are earning Pro or Amateur WPPR points.

I think if you follow this approach, you will serve both the Pro and Amateur players.

Just my 0.02.

Marcus

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

TD's would decide in advance when they submit to the calendar which calendar of events their event will show up on.
    The decision has to be made before hand, not after.
    I'm not fully convinced that an AMATEUR system that means "nothing" with respect to any IFPA player perks would be of interest to players, and at this point I don't think players realize how they feel about being world ranked, and won't until they opt out of events next year and see what that feels like to them.

I think the Amateur system would mean something to players since it still provides a "ranking" by which you can compare yourself to other players. Now, I agree that it will not hold the same "prestige" as today's WPPR ranking, but this would be the perfect test as it does not "force" players to partake in a system that they find unfair. It will also keep the zero dollar players playing pinball in a competitive form. And that is the most important aspect for me. Keeping my local players playing competitive pinball is my number one priority.

Personally, as a TD, I'm going to find a way to pay the $1/person to keep my events "Pro". Luckily, I have a great group of players that will most likely pony up their $1. And for those that don't, I'm sure as a collective we will be able to cover the difference.

Marcus

#209 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

For everyone else that still wants to play competitive pinball for free ... here's the best question I can ask:
    Did the IFPA build this house of cards that is competitive pinball, and with a new "Amateur" ranking system that doesn't exist yet, we will somehow stop everyone from playing competitively who don't want to pay this fee?
    IMO that gives FAR TOO MUCH CREDIT for what the IFPA has done to help move the competitive pinball scene forward.
    If we're only a piece of the pie in terms of growing the sport, we're only a piece of the pie missing if we ever disappeared for good (regardless of this change being implemented or not).
    Currently more than half of pinside favors this change as is??? I assumed we would polling at closer to 20-25% approval. Consider me SHOCKED at the level of support this has so far.

I do not think you give IFPA the credit it deserves for building competitive pinball.

If IFPA disappeared tomorrow, and the rankings with it, competitive pinball would still exist in some form.

PAPA would still be a very popular circuit. Some leagues would continue to thrive.

But you would lose a large, casual player base that enjoys the flavor that IFPA adds to the Pinball experience.

While IFPA is not solely responsible for the rise of competitive pinball, it was the driving force behind the resurgence IMO.

It provided the tools that passionate pinball players needed to grow competitive pinball.

Marcus

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you are neglecting to state that NOT all the other people playing in other tournaments are playing to play in the SCS...
    that is really what is not fair. asking someone with ZERO chance of even qualifying for SCS to chip in for their prize pool. sheesh...

It is completely fair when it is made clear that a paid entry is required to participate in the event. Let the player decide if the paid tournament entry is worth it to them. If the paid tournament entry cost is not worth it to a player, then a player makes the choice not to participate. If it is worth it to the player, then the player will join the event.

There is nothing unfair about the process. There is a risk, and players will need to determine if the risk is acceptable to them.

If you are playing in an IFPA sanctioned tournament, then you are playing in the SCS/National qualifying event. Only the player can decide if the risk is worth it.

Marcus

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This is cringeworthy to me. It sounds like someone saying "Okay, I'm going to opt out of being ranked for this tournament." and then the rest of the group pays for the person to be ranked in order to benefit their points scenario. To me, I don't want anyone "paying my way". You, and whoever else is involved in pooling these fees, would be completely disregarding my personal choice to take a stand against that part of the system, and completely invalidating my opinion, and that's kind of sh--ty, IMO. At that point, if my decision is not to participate in paying these fees, but other people are paying it regardless of my personal opinion, you're forcing me into making a choice to either turn a blind eye (which we all know I'm completely incapable of) or to simply just not participate at *all* unless it's an unranked event. It's not about the money. Frankly, for our specific scenario, everyone could save a dollar a week just by buying entry passes to Nickelrama. I've been doing that for a while now..
    I can pretty much guarantee that I would choose the second option in this scenario, and not only that, but I'll get my crap together and find the time to start running my own league again, but unranked, and we'll see how many of our local casuals show up that hardly EVER show up to ranked events. If I lose you, Ken, Kevin and Ricky, but then Rusty, Shelley, Kevin M., Laura, and Jennifer start showing up...that's a net win to me, because you guys already play in public and private events a ton. They don't. To get them back out and playing at more gatherings is worth more to me than my stupid IFPA ranking and compromising my own standards for other people to enhance theirs.. -_-

In the event that a player, such as yourself, wants to take a stand and not be included in the final standings submitted to IFPA, then of course I would simply not include you in the final standings sent to IFPA. Not a single dollar would be sent in on your behalf. And we would not have infringed on your right to take a stand. You would still be able to play, and even win the event.

But when the standings were sent to IFPA, your participation in the event will not be logged and/or recognized by the IFPA, per your wishes.

As for a second league, it does not have to be an "us or them" situation. If you decided to run unranked events, the chances are pretty high that Ken, Kevin, Rickie and I would still attend for the fun of competition. Just like we did before IFPA Points were a "thing" in our area.

Now, would you still be opposed to supporting our local leagues if the IFPA $1/person cost was covered by sponsorship?
    Will you stop participating in TPF Tournament when a portion of your entry is used to cover the IFPA cost?

Marcus

#378 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

using the 2016 WI data some interesting facts:
    474 unique players.
    406 players that played in 10 or under events (casual) would have accounted for $992 of the prize pool. These are the people most likely to be lost from IFPA events under the new fee based structure. In other words, WI stands to discourage over 85% of the current competitive pinball population from playing in future IFPA events. I term this as a bottom up errosion of the player base and bad for pinball.
    68 players that played in 11 or more events (pro) would have accounted for $1762 of the prize pool
    Digging a bit deeper with another important data point...
    The minimum # of events played by ANY 2016 SCS attendee was 25. If we use that as a split point, then you have the following:
    439 players played in 24 or less events (i.e. little to no chance statistcially of even making SCS or a chance to win back any funds) and accounted for $1503 of the prize pool
    35 players played in 25 or more events (i.e. had a reasonable shot of making SCS) and accounted for $1251 of the prize pool
    This means that in WI, we would be asking for 92% of the playing population to pay in to a prize pool that mathematically ONLY the top 8% have a shot of recouping any funds.
    That 92% of the population would be contributing 54% of the total prize pool.
    At the same time, WI would have double and in some cases triple the prize pool of adjoinging states (MN and IL in particular), so now there is greater monetary incentive for people from adjoinging states to travel out of state for only the big events and thus be eligible for a prize pool in excess of $2250 at SCS.
    I see this as a top down erosion of large events and ectually creates an incentive for in state TDs to NOT create large IFPA sanctioned events but rather to focus more on smaller regional events which dont promote the larger aspect of the sport and influence travel.
    It all becomes a bit of a sticky wicket. Interesting to look at the numbers.

Any player that played 10- events are considered casual players. The players typically play pinball for fun and care little for SCS.
    Any player that played 11-20 events are considered mild interest players. Dedicated, but not serious about making SCS.

Any player that played in 20+ events was actively trying to make the SCS.

So based on that understanding, here is how different groups would have contributed to IFPA Nationals and WI SCS in 2016.

404 Players played in 01-10 events accounted for 990 entries, which equals $990 collected, with $742.50 (WI) & $247.5 (IFPA)
    29 Players played in 11-20 events accounted for 421 entries, which equals $421 collected, with $315.75 (WI) & $105.25 (IFPA)

Total Casual portion: 433 Players created 1,321 entries, which equals $1,411 collected, with $1,058.25 (WI) & $352.75 (IFPA)

16 Players played in 21-30 events accounted for 424 entries, which equals $424 collected, with $318 (WI) & $106 (IFPA)
    14 Players played in 31-40 events accounted for 488 entries, which equals $488 collected, with $366 (WI) & $122 (IFPA)
    7 Players played in 41-50 events accounted for 319 entries, which equals $319 collected, with $293.25 (WI) & $79.75 (IFPA)
    2 Players played in 51-60 events accounted for 110 entries, which equals $110 collected, with $82.50 (WI) & $27.50 (IFPA)

Total Serious portion: 39 Players created 1,341 entries, which equals $1,341 collected, with $1,005.75 (WI) & $333.25 (IFPA)

The Grand Total collected $2,752, with $2,064 (WI) & $688 (IFPA)

433 Casual Players contributed $1,411, which is 52.27% of the total collected. This group averaged $2.45 per person per year.
    39 Serious Players contributed $1,341, which is 48.73% of the total collected. This group averaged $25.91 per person per year.

472 Players contributed $2,752 in total.

The average cost to play all IFPA events by groups

404 Players playing 01-10 events averaged $2.45 a person per year (Casual just wants to play pinball)
    29 Players playing 11-20 events averaged $14.52 a person per year (Interest in points & Interested in being ranked via SCS)
    16 Players playing 21-30 events averaged $26.50 a person per year (Very Interested in points & Serious about earning SCS spot)
    14 Players playing 31-40 events averaged $34.86 a person per year (Serious into points & Serious about earning SCS spot)
    7 Players playing 41-50 events averaged $45.57 a person per year (Hardcore into points & Hardcore SCS)
    2 Players playing 51-60 events averaged $55 a person per year. (Hardcore into points & Hardcore SCS)

Take these numbers as you wish. They are just numbers.

Marcus

#450 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Since this whole thread is confusing as all shit. I guess I have just one question.
    If you don't give a shit about points. Can you opt out to not paying the $1, regardless of what the event is? So events that others are paying $1. Can you opt not to pay the $1, enjoy the tourny as normal, and just not get any points for it?

Only if the TD is collecting the $1 as a separate fee AND the TD is willing to do the extra leg work of removing your name from the final submission to IFPA.

For example, a TD may have organized an IFPA event that is free to play but requires $1 from players that wish to have results submitted to IFPA.

If you do not pay the $1, your results are not included in the IFPA submission.

Now, if someone else adds one dollar to cover your share, then your results would be included in the final submission to IFPA.

The IFPA does not care how the money is collected. The IFPA only cares that there is $1 for every person listed in the submission.

If there are 16 players listed, the IFPA expects $16 from the TD before the event will be confirmed for points.

Hopes this helps.

Marcus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Xerico.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-in-favor-of-the-ifpa-changes-for-2018-poll?tu=Xerico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.