Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0555.jpg
CL4.jpg
CL3.jpg
CL2.jpg
cl1.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I ran across this on CL. Kind of interested....

Anyone know anything about it? Thoughts? Please discuss..... they are asking $200

Thanks!

"I got this from a friend years ago, and had plans to convert it to a MAME pinball, which hasn't happened. My arcade is full, and it is time to let this one go. This is EXTREMELY rare, I have been watching the web, pinball databases, and have NEVER seen one of these. Here is the story, as it was told to me by the guy I got it from combined with information I have found.

This game started out as a typical Eight Ball by Bally (you know the pinball made based on Happy Days (Fonzie is in two of the inside plastics, and sued Bally for using his likeness without permission... Which they gave him a couple of the machines and he dropped the suit!).

Then according to the labeling inside the machine, it was converted in 1983 by a Kentucky company into the Super Tournament Dominos. You play the first two balls of pinball, and if you score 100,000 points you can then play video dominos using the buttons on the front.

Course, if you know about late 70's pinballs, you know the acid issue if you leave the batteries installed on one of the boards. This game worked when my friend had it, but since he left the batteries in, and they leaked the board got corroded. I have another pinball that had this same problem and I found a guy in Chicago that fixed all my boards for $150.

Now the reason this game is so rare is that they were used for gambling. And this particular game was actually confiscated by the FBI! My friend purchased it in the mid 80's at a government auction. (and he peeled off the auction sticker... I would have left it on there.)

This is in decent shape, (other than needing new rubbers of course, and the fact that one of the boards has corrosion from the battery leak. It could be very valueable if restored, as it is clearly a VERY rare pinball machine. If it is still listed, it is available."

cl1.jpgcl1.jpg CL2.jpgCL2.jpg CL3.jpgCL3.jpg CL4.jpgCL4.jpg

#2 12 years ago

No I haven't seen one, but that is really neat! Thanks for sharing!

#3 12 years ago

Wow that is really odd - nope never heard of it, who would of thought pinball and dominos. Thats one big lockdown bar.

#4 12 years ago

I've never heard of it. Have you ever played or heard about a Bally Cybernaut pin?

#5 12 years ago

Never heard of it. That story sure is out there! The game looks really great though. $200??? Heck yes!

#6 12 years ago

I may need to go check this out. I wonder how much trouble it would be to get up and running.

#7 12 years ago

It shouldn't take much to get it running again, it has battery acid damage on the controller board. As long as the proprietery software is still operational (should be since it is solid state) and the monitor still works, it should be just replacing/fixing that board. It has a box inside that is "sealed" where is says as long as the seal is intact it is still under warranty! (lol).

Known issues, chip out of glass at bottom by plunger.
One button stuck on dominos control bar (top left) should be easy fix.

It powers on (lights work), typical of late 70's pins with acid issue. So the power supply is good. It needs a new pinball as there is rust on the original, and I took it out as I didn't want it to mar the finish of the board.

It is VERY clean inside the top cabinet, and the bottom of the playfield looks good. It can't have many plays on it, as it has a "license" sticker from Kentucky for 1983... So that was the last time it was on route before it got confiscated...

My friend told me he got it in the mid 80's at an government auction, and his kids played it while they were growing up until the late 90's when the acid issue happened. I have had it about 11 years.

With a little bit of work this could be quite the conversation piece.

If you guys want pics of specific parts of it, let me know as this is one of my pinballs.

I have looked all over it for who did the work on this, and since the lockdown bar is done right, and the backglass is real... It has to be a company that was A. Trying to get into pinball, or B. a major company test game.

It has serial numbers etched into the machine, but they didn't make any sense to me.

I have gotten tons of interest since I listed it on craigslist, and the current high offer is $250.

#8 12 years ago

oh man I hate to see a pin modified by a company or an individual
might be a tough sale unless you can find a die hard 8 - ball lover

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Loupie:

Have you ever played or heard about a Bally Cybernaut pin?

Yes I played one this weekend! Very fun! Great artwork Loupie!

IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0555.jpg

#10 12 years ago

Normally I would agree, except the timing of this machine could put it prior to caveman... (which is the first pinball with a video monitor inside used during gameplay.)

If this one was made prior to that one... It could be the first ever pinball with a computer monitor inside. Making it a piece of pinball history.

The dominos graphics look very similar to the color/graphics of the gottlieb game, making me wonder if they were the ones that did this one... I always assumed it was done in Kentucky, but there is no proof of that at this point. That is just where it was located when on route (based on the sticker on the back glass)

Does anyone know about serial numbers for Gottlieb?

#11 12 years ago

Another interesting tidbit, that made me curious was this game.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5334

Never produced, but clearly similar layout to my version. Many times designers come up with a game idea and produce something on their own to test it out if the company doesn't get behind it.

I wonder if this machine has that type of history?

Especially when you realize this was also one of his prototypes earlier...

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5331

If anyone has an email for John Trudeau it might be interesting to see if this was one of his mods?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-heard-of-these-machinces and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.