(Topic ID: 64437)

Would you have been a buyer of ST LE at $6600?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by John_I
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you have been in at $6600?”

• YES 76 votes
    57%
  • No 57 votes
    43%

(133 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I suppose someone at Stern reads these forums, and I know there are number crunchers at Stern to see how much they can charge for a $2000 box of wires and artwork and sounds whatnot.

I would bet, the powers that be at Stern would like to sell more games (hence 799 LE) and that they'd rather not be sitting on 499 LEs or have them in storage somewhere a year from now, although its not the end of the world to have product to sell over time; if they could sell 500 ACDC premium a year for the next 5 years what the heck, good for them, good for the end buyers etc..

But talking about the LE it's more likely a good thing to mostly sell out stock soon rather than having them trickle out over years and years like would be TF LE etc.. Otherwise the incentive to buy or the pressure to buy is less if more LEs are unsold such as TF LE and Blue Avengers, then the whole LE mania is shown to be a farce.

We have seen some pics of ST LE and know that it's fairly stripped out game, I mean low BOM rather than a game like Woz, i'm not saying a low BOM pin is bad, look at IM or Tron and see they are heck of nice games.

But lets pretend Stern would rather sell 799 games at $6600 than to sell 199 games at $7900.

I picked $6600 because that's what XM LE was give or take.

I would much much more likely be on ST LE if it were $6600 delivered.

If ST LE was priced like a normal pin, not like a premature grand slam, remember they are not selling a Tron LE even tho people know what proven code Tron LE has, and even tho they appear to have the same BOM between Tron LE and ST LE. You can't charge top dollar for a total shot in the dark (remember XM had no code whatsoever for about 9 months).

I was a XM LE buyer at $6600 and a Tron Pro buyer at $4600 and I know Tron is a top 20 game or you can buy ACDC premium for $6600 and its a top 20 also. Why would you expect to pay more for an incomplete game that is not selling well at its high asking price?.

But if they priced it at a reasonable level like I said $6600 I am sure there would be quite a lot more buyers.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Nope, I would not be in. If it was still the days following Tron and the greatness that is the LE? Sure. But as we all know, TRON LE wasn't sold out that fast. But it ended up being a GREAT game. If Star Trek ID LE ends up being a great game, they will disappear fast. If TFLE was a GREAT game, it would do the same. METLE and AC/DC were the strange ones. It isn't that I can't afford the 6600 bucks, it is that I don't want to risk it on them putting out a bad game. I feel like it has to be special to earn a spot in my house.
And if you look at my machines that I own, you will see one that doesn't sound like it fits the whole "Try before you buy" thing. But it does. I played a prototype before I put a dime in. Having that rule may cause me to miss out on a fantastic LE that is the best game ever, but it also keeps me away from the ones that are not as much fun and consequently drop in value.

Well said, should be a discount to buy a pig in a poke, I lost that gamble on XM LE, but here there is a premium ST so it it turns out to be the bees knees well I could buy a Premium. But with XM LE I was more worried as with Tron that you didn't have a premium.

I am sure Stern is worried, I hope they don't think they are immune from outside forces, remember a company called Research in Motion, later Blackberry? In a few years they could be gone. Stern was great and made great games, but as I said before when I saw what they wanted for ST LE it's said in the Bible "pride goeth before the fall" Stern said: "here's a same old box of wires, now thank me for it".

But I'm more like: "first you have to give me a kiss because I like to be kissed when someone is f^cking me"

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I believe you can get premiums (same game) for $6500

That's a whole other pile of fish, in my world it should go like this:

Pro $4400
Premium $6000
LE $6600

#11 10 years ago

Ps any dealers PM me if you can sell for my price. I'll put my money where my mouth is.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You really think they are gonna be sitting on 500 LE's?

At these prices? Yes, this is the most expensive mass produced pin yet, more expensive than Woz or The Hobbit. Yet it as the same basic wires and boards and flippers etc.. as a pin such as Tron Pro. It does have more LEDs but other than that nothing stands out as it being more costly to produce.

How many 'The Pin' did Stern sell? That also was notoriously expensive for what you got.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-have-been-a-buyer-of-st-le-at-6600?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.