Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Marten
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I'm giving my new CFTBL a good clean before I start playing it and now I realize that the
window over the hologram is a bit opaque because of wear on the playfield side.
Could I get it clear again by polishing (how?) or should I try to get a replacement?

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

If you haven't already, try polishing the underside (it is like the lower field on Congo, right? wrong?) of the window with Novus 1 or 2.

#3 12 years ago

Make sure first that it's CLEAN on the underside, as wiping it down. I can't imagine that anything other than water would be needed on the underside, since any crud on it would just be metal dust lofted by the heat from the bulbs, like the crud on any insert.

Assuming you've done this and come to the conclusion that the upper surface is the problem, you'll need to polish it up - polishing clear things so they come out transparent is tricky, as I'm sure you know. You might be better off trying to find someone selling a brand new repro - it's not a hard part to fabricate with a laser cutter, so i'd be stunned if it wasn't available. As usual, trying to find it in marco's web storefront is hopeless.

#4 12 years ago

Hey, I never noticed that! It looks exactly like the window in Congo. I wonder if it is the same part.
I already removed the window from the game and gave it a good cleaning top and bottom.
It's definitely caused by wear on the top. I've not been able to find a replacement part yet.
I tried buffing it out with Novus 2 but am afraid to make it worse. Maybe I should try novus 1.

#5 12 years ago

Just looked it up and it is the same part. I only found one store and they want E96,- (USD130,-) for it. Maybe the window is not in such a bad shape after all.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Just looked it up and it is the same part. I only found one store and they want E96,- (USD130,-) for it. Maybe the window is not in such a bad shape after all.

I wonder if you could use a car headlight cleaning kit to clear it up a bit...Anyone ever try that?

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-240KT-Headlight-Restorer/dp/B001TI5IIQ/ref=sr_1_1

#7 12 years ago

Car headlight kits are for removing oxidation from Uv exposure. Doubt that's case here. I polished mine with a high speed buffer and rouge and it came out clear. Bother the window and decal are available stateside but I'm on my phone so can't look up right now.

#8 12 years ago

I have seen this part available from a supplier. Its been in the last week but I have looked at so many sites...I cant remember who had it.

#9 12 years ago

Pinball decals used to have them but out of stock. Ill look around.

#10 12 years ago

Out of stock at MAD Amusements but might want to call those that say it's out of stock to see if they can't hook you up. Bit pricey but what can you do?

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=389

$75 at little shop but out of stock there too..

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/cftbl.html

#11 12 years ago

Looks like down under is the only place that has them in stock. Odd...they were just available at baa 6 months ago. Must be all those congo purchasers snatched them up

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=272&rn=3343&action=show_detail

#12 12 years ago

I would try polishing with Novus2 before buying a new one.

#13 12 years ago

I tried already a few runs with Novus 2 but that didn't change it a lot. I'll try with Novus 1 today
and see what happens. To be a little bit safe I'm trying it in a piece above the decals where it
won't be too visible when it messes things up.

#14 12 years ago

$75 sounds better than $130. Maybe that's why they sold out.

#15 12 years ago

Novus 1 is a lighter polish than Novus 2, so if 2 is making no difference, 1's not going to help. 1 is for a 'final' polish. Novus 3 is more agressive. What are you using to polish. That plastic I believe is a form of plexiglass so just hand rubbing with a rag isn't going to generate enough friction/heat. If you google a bit, you'll see that many have had success using a high speed buffer like Treasure Cove's kit or an auto polisher. I did mine with a high speed buffing wheel and it came out great.

#16 12 years ago

Ok, that's probably why. I polished it 4 times with Novus 2 and 3 times with Novus 1.
But all just with a rag. It made a difference but I just gave up. I guess I'll put a buffer on
my Christmas wishlist. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 24.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 45.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/window-cleaning-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.