9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think they lost their ass on this title and it was time to cut the anchor.

Maybe they lost money when factoring in fixed overheads and labor costs, but making more POTC's would be better than leaving capacity idle in the factory. The cost of direct materials and labor is only a fraction of the $9k+ selling price. Sure, it wouldn't make sense to run more if there is strong and steady demand for more profitable titles, but it's doubtful that they won't have some lulls between titles. And it's hard to imagine that they will come up with another WOZ version to fill the gap - but who knows.

10 months later
#612 3 years ago

It’s not just about making a profit but what will make them the most profit and return-on-investment. The owners have likely sunk 10’s of millions into the Company, and are bleeding more everyday given the virus, with little to nothing so far to show for in return. If they make more Pirates it’s likely because their new games are somehow off-track from plan.

#704 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Ok...$9500 tops
My line is 10K for a pinball machine...over that and it is too much no matter how good it is.

My line was $5k, then 7k, then 8k...then $10.5k, but that's it.

#792 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They don’t sell quickly at 12k now and nobody is asking for that (it won’t be the price when they remake then anyway).
They will be 9500 or less...
And what happens then? They easily sell 500 of them at 9500 regardless of what other dream theme pops up.

Seems like a couple LE’s just sold quickly within the last week for $12.5+ on here. No doubt that some current owners of POTC and every other game price pump, but you seem to be working really hard to pump down the price.

#813 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am pretty sure you are the one with clouded judgement. If you think a game w 800 plays is some sort of detractor to a sale. Like “on route” is a bad thing. Lol. Game is just tuned in by then and not cluttered up with a bunch of aftermarket crap.
Reality of facts:
Multiple LEs that took a month to sell while well advertised at 12.5
Delta sells one example at 15 and claims to have multiple other buyers waiting in line.
Yet there are multiple other examples on open market for 12.5 that are not selling.
It is pretty obvious one of these does not add up with the others.

All you have to do is look at the market archive to see that the going rate is $12k+ for nice HUO examples. Saying a machine is overpriced because it took a month to sell in the midst of the virus is BS. You know any high end game can sit for several weeks depending on location. You're saying JJP will readily sell 500+ at $10k delivered but they are hard to move at $12k. $2k usually doesn't make the difference between make-or-break in this hobby. Yes, the existing ones are prone to pooling (which can be readily fixed), but they are also relatively limited. Combined with machines shipping back from EU to sell in the US, there just doesn't seem to be a big market for this, or any 3+ year old title, at $10k+. No doubt JJP could sell 100's more at $10k, but I'm skeptical that they wouldn't make just as much profit or more selling the same or fewer units at $12k.

#830 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

love this bitchfest!

Just seems like fun speculation to me. Discussion is actually staying pretty civil. Would rather kill time here then another “which one should I buy” thread. POTC is actually a pretty unique situation - don’t think there is another game in the home collector era that sold so poorly and a short time later is considered maybe the best ever.

#888 3 years ago

I thought they made about a 1000 units which certainly isn’t great but more than “very few.” It also took distributors some time to sell their inventory after production stopped - including foreign distributors shipping games back to the US (pretty crazy even if favorable exchange covered shipping costs).

Hard it understand why a beautiful, packed, big license game didn’t sell better even with the delays and surrounding drama, but there’s plenty of reasons for JJP to question how many will truly pony up $10k+ at this stage. Maybe they will but it sure isn’t an obvious business decision.

At this point you have to believe the investors want a series of major sellers, not the failed model of OK seller, WOZ, crappy seller, WOZ...

#920 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

All the pieces to this puzzle have been revealed, it's up to you whether you want to put them together and believe them. Jack said "what's wrong with building a little demand" in regards to when/if it would be remade. Jjp has a history of making new editions of games. JJP has the license per Jack to make more. JJP has already paid all the costs to design this and have the molds/fixturing/training done, they can reap a higher profit now by just paying their overhead and parts cost on any new run.
We need some sort of betting in this thread from the strongest voices on each side. The loser has to pay money to charity

Like everyone, I can only speculate if they will make more, but the idea that there is easy money to be made since they've already sunk costs into the design, etc. is not how well run companies think. It's all about maximizing return-on-investment. Would you be happy making 3% when you could make 8% investing someplace else.

If the line is underutilized because their new titles aren't selling well, then maybe making more POTC's is better than leaving idle capacity. Stern makes a bunch of titles a year and knows that they will occasionally have a relatively weak seller, so have made Vault Editions to take up the slack an integral part of their strategy. But JJP is still struggling to release 2 games a year after being in business for 7-years, so I doubt making more Pirates is Plan A. That's probably why Jack doesn't ruled it out because it could certainly be a fall back - and Eric & Keith naturally want to support their design. The main, super rich investor loves pinball, but all the signs are that he didn't buy JJP as a hobby, and is pushing a new strategy for better returns.

#922 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

The point here is the development of a game costs a million (sunk cost). Maximizing sales of that game at the highest possible price is how you maximize ROI in this business.

Yes, but hasn't that ship sailed. You can milk a product but that's not the sign of a growth company.

#923 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

It's hard to see how restarting and moving the established company, firing some of the most valuable and knowledgeable staff is a pure ROI move. It sounds like the rich investor loves pinball, has someone other that Jack convincing him to do stuff, and is pushing for more new games. If I owned the company and had plenty of spare money, I'd absolutely prioritize new games (for me!) too.

Agree that moving manufacturing and reorganizing at the same time that you're trying to develop & demonstrate a winning product strategy is tough to pull off. But I've personnally seen it happen a number of times in the name of improving financial performance - usually when management is under real pressure or is listening to some high-price, outside consultant.

#973 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Why did the 9500 se take so long to sell?

-Took days to put up several crappy pics until his girlfriend was around
-Many scared off by unfixed pooling
-Standard just doesn’t appeal to collectors that are the main market for this or any $10k+ game
-Seller won’t ship - the collector community in SC/GA/NC for high end pins isn’t that big. An LE just sold quickly in the area for $12.5ish.

More indication IMO that the market for this game is deep but not broad.

#982 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

$15k seriously? I hope Jonny Depp would deliver and set up for that price.
I just sold SM, Tspp and Tron for $17k combined that’s not far off for just one pin.

Really no different than when MM, MB and CC were going for similar prices. A top 5 game in short supply.

#987 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

this is flat out the largest pump and dump I have ever seen from owners.

Don’t know, I think R&M is giving it a run for the money.

POTC seems like normal supply & demand. There’s plenty of honest discussion out there from owners about issues with assembly quality, unique & complex rule set, lack of movie assets, etc. Combined with all the gameplay videos, plenty of info to make an informed decision before dropping so much money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=luckymoey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.