Will AP make a pin with a good licensed theme?

(Topic ID: 238477)

By ZenTron

8 days ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Coolpinballdino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 days ago

With so many good licensed themes available why is AP making pins with Open/Public IP’s? Is there really that much demand for what has been made and what is being proposed as future titles? Are the savings of not using a license being passed onto us? I don’t understand it.

#2 8 days ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

They've already made two of them. Houdini is a great theme/game and Oktoberfest looks to be another!

God forbid a pinball manufacturer utilize a game's budget for a more creative design rather than purchasing the license to yet another mass promoted homogeneous entertainment theme.

#3 8 days ago

I’ve heard rumors that a major license could add $500-$750 (or more) to the cost of a pin. Maybe they save the licensing money to put towards extra mechs/parts

#4 8 days ago

Why???? They are doing a great job already without a expensive license.
    Heck a lot of my favorite pins and many of the top 100 are non-license games. You don't always need a license to make a pin desirable. Good game play, fun rules are are all you need.

#5 8 days ago

Eventually they are going to have to pony up for a license.

Everybody says they want unlicensed themes and then they don't buy them.

#6 8 days ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I’ve heard rumors that a major license could add $500-$750 (or more) to the cost of a pin. Maybe they save the licensing money to put towards extra mechs/parts

Been confirmed to be more like $50. Considering the built in characters art and music of most themes, this could actually save development cost by AP in this day of high res screen graphics and stereo sound.

#7 8 days ago

They don’t need it !
    Houdini for there first pin is well done
    Oktoberfest even better !

Love my Houdini and Oktoberfest is coming

Keep the cost down or put the money
    Into the game not on the game !

#8 8 days ago

If they keep making packed pins with original layouts, and good code support to boot they may not have to, especially if they can remain under JJP in price.

Ocktoberfest looks to be jam packed with stuff for the price. Can’t wait to flip one.

#9 8 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Been confirmed to be more like $50. Considering the built in characters art and music of most themes, this could actually save development cost by AP in this day of high res screen graphics and stereo sound.

$50 dollars ? Per game for a liscence?

Ahhh no

WOZ is $500 per game ! Beatles is $3K

#10 8 days ago

Houdini is an ok theme but i can think of many better ones. I also think Oktoberfest will have less of an appeal compared to Houdini imo.

If the best they have lined up is Sherlock Holmes as their next theme Ill continue to be disappointed. The Goonies would be a good one and even if it were to add a few bucks to the cost I’d be up to it.

#11 8 days ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Houdini is an ok theme but i can think of many better ones. I also think Oktoberfest will have less of an appeal compared to Houdini imo.

Better for you perhaps. I love both API themes so far. For the most part, I think movie themes are stupid as hell. I get that most of you do love movie themes but I think it's really a lack of creativity to lean on movie themes. Someone had to be creative in the first place to come up with a movie that you love... why not pour some creativity into a new theme that stirs the imagination?

I like original themes. I would love a new take on Sherlock Holmes, Tesla vs Edison or a new fantasy theme like jpop tried to do with Magic Girl.

#12 8 days ago

According to aVid1900 post six months ago the rumored #3 release from AP was potentially Carnival, the biggest carnival in the world.

You may not like the unlicensed themes but it makes little sense to make the same pins competitors are making. If they don’t differentiate their offerings how could they compete w the big boys like CGC or Stern?

Those seeking music or monster themes have many options. Oktoberfest doesn’t speak to me personally but I am interested in seeing one in person.

#13 8 days ago

Come on AP bring us Tesla !
    ( not the car)

#14 7 days ago

Will AP make a pin with a good licensed theme?.....
    NO, not for a very, very, long, long time.

#15 7 days ago

Theme wise Houdini kinda drew me in but I was not a fan of the gameplay. Oktoberfest theme wise I have zero interest. Sherlock Holmes rumors have my attention as I like the theme a bit but the game would need to be fantastic as well to get me to buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 149.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside