(Topic ID: 238477)

Will AP make a pin with a good licensed theme?

By ZenTron

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 4 years ago

I’m in for Sherlock Holmes if it’s as creative as Houdini and Oktoberfest. There are definitely some cool licenses to be had out there but damn they are thinking up great things on overtime! Ferret and Josh K have done outstanding stuff

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Just for kicks, I did a custom top 100 for games from 1985 - 1995.
    40% of the top 10 were not a licensed theme. That's a pretty solid percentage I'd say. Interestingly, 40% of the top 20 were not licensed.
    If you look back at your history, what percentage have been a licensed theme i wonder? I've only had 1 (granted, my collection is more by what's for sale locally than anything else, and not a great deal of money invested).
    I don't think a company needs a licensed theme per say, however, I do understand the "draw" it has with many.
    I'd like for American Pinball to succeed, whichever direction they feel they must take.

Speaking for myself, most of my games ARE licensed, but they are all games with licenses for things I actually like - AND the games are killer. TZ, Hobbit, MB, JJP POTC. I’ve also owned Dialed In, which is amazing, and Houdini and Pinball Magic are my only non licensed games.

It seems like a catch-22 with licenses, because you have to pay for them, but you also get to use all the existing media, which can save a lot of money vs creating from scratch. You also get the built in interest from the title. IMO, AP is smart in choosing titles based on things people already know and are passionate about - Houdini, Sherlock Holmes, etc. it’s the audience of a license without the cost

3 weeks later
    #26 4 years ago

Can’t wait for Sherlock Holmes! Not sure if that counts but there are so many interesting modes and choices to be made! Plus the theme implies a very steampunk style a la Houdini (yes yes I know that’s not everybody’s thing)

I’m just thinking about how creative they can get with the theme and make an outstanding game. OKT has so many creative modes and variations it is really next gen.

I dig a lot of the old fogey bands but don’t need to play a machine with their ugly mugs plastered all over them. A Megadeth game, maybe. They have the iconic mascot
    Like Iron Maiden. But it needs to be a killer game. Stern struck gold with that one, and then crapped the bed with their follow up.

Anyway carry on. How about more
    HG Wells or HP Lovecraft themes?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-ap-make-a-pin-with-a-good-licensed-theme?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.