(Topic ID: 202109)

Why so many Hobbits FS? Can’t be that bad right??

By Beez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 251 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3124 (resized).JPG
thehobbit (resized).jpg
COWBELL (resized).jpg
1z5t7k (resized).jpg
1z5t1w (resized).jpg
1z5sqg (resized).jpg
1z5smn (resized).jpg
6CAA253E-E99A-4D6C-9873-4F6EC5ECB7EA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20171107-205605 (resized).png
3A69A498-9800-4304-9A49-D42795C95704 (resized).jpeg
728FE794-D3CD-4635-B701-0C306474C0EC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 6 years ago

Hobbit is phenomenal - it's the best modern game to properly integrate its licensed theme. The music is breathtaking, the display is outstanding, the depth of content is unprecedented, and as usual - Keith can take any playfield and make it amazing with his incredible rules.

Unfortunately it got a bad rap for having a shitty reveal, years of delays, and people not giving a crap about the movies.

On top of that, it's the type of game that can't be appreciated fully if it's in a noisy location and you can't hear it.

On top of that, "hobby tastemakers" have changed, and the appreciation of super deep games like TSPP and LOTR are no longer in favor....people want flow flow flow, 3 minute games.

On top of that, you have people who never bothered to understand the game constantly lying about it...the lies about upper flipper doing nothing or it being hard to understand if you don't look up. Absolute lies. The book on the playfield ALWAYS tells you what to do, there are constant call outs about which ramp or object to hit, and the color coding is CONSISTANT - the mode shots are ALWAYS orange, Dwarves are always purple, locks are always green, etc.

Hobbit perfectly accomplishes what it sets out to do as a licensed Hobbit game...it's a beautiful & long quest-style game.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

None of this matters to players, only "theme integration" guys

Wrong. A game can have both, and a "player" can enjoy the entire experience. No part of a pinball machine exists on its own. All elements work together.

I play my games. I'm a "player". I just like a variety of games if they do want they do well. I like long quests like LOTR & Hobbit, I like 3 minute ass kickers like Iron Man. There is an insane amount of great gameplay for "players" to enjoy in Hobbit. It's not just about looks and sound, but - those things are incredibly well done and there's no shame in enjoying it.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really? Tons of people around here love bad games with good art/sound/software/theme packages. Ghostbusters would still have sold a ton if the playfield were just a rehash of Williams' Jubillee

Ghostbusters has fundamental problems that keep it from being playable or fun for most PLAYERS. You can say Hobbit is "semetrical" or "boring" ...but all the shots and features work as intended...so, it fundamentally does what the player wants and expects, something Ghostbusters fails at. Hobbit also has tons of content that's relatively random...anyone can play Hobbit and see a lot of different modes, even if they only start a few, something Ghostbusters also fails at.

GB has skated by purely on theme and art.

Hobbit doesn't have the theme love, and while it looks nice, it's still a Photoshopped package which will never get the praise of a 100% hand drawn art package like GB...so, fundamentally those of us who are enjoying it enjoy its gameplay/code.

If you don't like Hobbit, that's fine...not every game is for everyone...but, it's more due to the STYLE of game that it is vs. it being "BAD". I don't like Twilight Zone, but I don't think it's bad. It just doesn't click with me...but I get why people like it.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Remind me, which shot(s) does the upper right flipper have that you can't hit with any of the main lower flippers?

It's not about that you can't hit them with the lower flippers...it's that the rules set up shots to be hit from the upper flipper. Sometimes when the ball exits from the bumpers, one of the targets below Smaug will flash in light blue to be hit from the upper flipper. There's also a mode where the windlance kickback will launch the ball up to the upper flipper as a setup to hit the targets below Smaug.

Quoted from T-800:

I find it ironic you are bitching about the "lies" and that other people have not put enough time into fully understanding the game or appreciating it, yet thats the same bs "truth" you spew on so many other titles that have "math style" rules.

You're combining two different things in order to find irony & slam me...

-Math Chess rules are a thing. My opinions on them are opinions. I claim no "truth" about them...other than I don't enjoy them. If you like them, cool.

-When people say you can't tell what to do on Hobbit by looking at the playfield, that's categorically false. The book on the playfield tells you every mode objective. Every orange shot tells you what you should be shooting for during a mode, and other colors consistently indicate other goals as well.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You can't fix a bad design
The layout and design is what makes the Hobbit unpopular not the flashing lights and integrated video. People complain about the design of Ghostbusters with flipper gap and occasional air balls. Ghostbusters layout is unique and it is fun to play. Unfortunately I have never had fun playing the Hobbit. Owner's can try and defend the game but it appears like the majority of people have come to the same consensus. Also Keith or Stern never finished wizard mode for WOF, probably because it was impossible to get to, same thing for Hobbit who is going to get to wizard mode without the glass off? I am sure coding the wizard mode for Hobbit is a high priority on Keith's list. You can disagree but I agree with Levi, I don't think any code can help improve Hobbit.

That's right Ghostbusters blows Hobbit out of the water!
Oh and the third flipper does NOTHING, but keep pretending it does if it makes you feel better

Another 3rd flipper liar, which proves you haven't played the game much or understand it. And you think GB is FUN!?!! All credibility on pinball opinions LOST. GB is the most unplayable fun-sapping box of vomit & designed by a pedophile. It barely qualifies as "pinball" or a "game". I cancelled mine and bought Hobbit - which shoots FINE & smoothly. The rules use the playfield to the fullest and make you use every spot and feature to the fullest. Best choice I ever made, and a tremendous loss for the people who don't get it.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

OK,
I fully understand, now can you explain why some people say the game is slow? I don't understand that. I know it starts out that way but hold on.

Because they're playing one set up with the back legs low. It's called gravity. Jack the back legs up and it plays fast like anything else that has gravity applied.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My lack of enthusiasm for TH is based on a dozen or so games. A THLE was available locally for $6,100 and I almost purchased it (someone else beat me to it). For that price, I'm willing to give it more time to see if it grows on me. Based on my first/second impressions, I would never pay retail for a THLE.

I would never pay retail for any of these new games lol. Of course no one should spend $9k on a Hobbit....it if one comes along for about $6k!? I say go for it. At a price between a Stern Pro & Premium, that's a stellar value. I paid $7500 for my Smaug last year. No regrets.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think that is around the same amount I spent on my X-MEN LE. I have lost my ass on that game and have taken a bath but it is the best bath I ever had. (I will probably never sell anyway)

If you enjoy it and don't plan on selling it at the moment, no bath was taken, and market value is irrelevant. When I bought Avatar LE, and I posted how much fun it was, the trolls were in full force berating me on what a monetary loss I would take. They'd never respond to my comments on the fun of the game - only the price. Telling. When I did end up selling it, I got like $200 less than what I paid for it...I enjoyed it for a few years and put about 2000 plays on that machine. There was no "loss" in my eyes.

BTW - how did you end up paying $7500 for X-Men LE? It was about $6300 NIB & the market never really took off on it.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't think i care for how much the trolls come up, but it can be fun to learn to work around them.

You can change that in the settings. Set Beasts to hard and it balances things nicely.

Quoted from jgentry:

If you paid $9500 for a smaug I sure hope you love it and never need to sell it because it's going to be painful if you do.

Who paid that much? The Hobbit pre-orders were $7500 ...the switch to Smaug had no upcharge.

1 week later
#216 6 years ago

Just played mine and timed it out of curiosity. 22 min game, but only got to Into the Fire.

Still love it.

Bottom line is not every game is gonna be a 3 minute tournament game. Plenty of people hate RFM and call it a "gimmick", but to me it's one of the most fun games to play. Sometimes presentation goes a long way. Hobbit just pulls me in with its amazing music, display, voices, etc. plus it just feels good. The targets, ramps, scoops and beasts are satisfying to hit, especially with Thiel's excellent music and sound design accompanying the action. It's a long quest and that's OK if you don't mind spending some time on one play. Ops will hate it. Tourney players will hate it. People who play one machine with their friends will hate it. Those who want a cinematic quest experience will love it. I still have no regrets buying it. I think it's neat having a JJP game, and I didn't want WOZ or DI.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

So.... why do people like DEEP games? Words like “homework” “monotonous” “boring” aren’t great selling points.

Because it's the opposite of boring. People used to complain that the B/W games were too easy and simple...and when TSPP and LOTR came out, people were thrilled that you could own these games for years and they were great for home use due to their massive amount of content and long "quests" to get to the final wizard mode. Anyone can see Monster Bash's wizard modes....almost no one can get to TSPP or LOTR's final modes. Depth = an amazing accomplishment to get deep into the game. After those games came out, people loved and expected depth...it's only a recent phenomenon that a vocal group dislikes it and only wants 3 minute long games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-many-hobbits-fs-can%e2%80%99t-be-that-bad-right?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.